PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded return of Butera

James
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Gardy is already making a public case from bringing back a third catcher. The article is basically pleading the case for bringing Butera back to the 25-man roster.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120419&content_id=29130424&notebook_id=29130428&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min&partnerId=rss_min

Full disclosure: Gardy never said Butera's name, he just said "the third catcher situation."

mikeee
04-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Noooooooooooo!

TwinsFanLV
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Drew Butera need not to be "dreaded". Carrying three catchers makes sense, IF the three are used correctly. Should Butera be leading off and asked to steal 40 bases? No. Can Butera serve as a defensive replacement for Doumit late in a one run game? Yes. Can Butera spell Mauer in a lopsided contest? Yes. Should Butera be limited to 3-5 ABs/week? Yes. Is this a reasonable way to keep both Mauer and Doumit's bats in the lineup? Yes! Is there any useful purpose to carrying 13 pitchers? NO NO NO! (or 12, or 11).

Any criticism of the roster should be directed at Gardenhire and Ryan. Please give Butera a break!

Thrylos
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Interesting quote by Gardenhire in that article:

"What that will be, I don't know. I'm still debating on the third catcher situation."

Unless he is debating with himself, which is not out of the realm of possibility, there seem to be saner voices in the organization...

James
04-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Drew Butera need not to be "dreaded". Carrying three catchers makes sense, IF the three are used correctly. Should Butera be leading off and asked to steal 40 bases? No. Can Butera serve as a defensive replacement for Doumit late in a one run game? Yes. Can Butera spell Mauer in a lopsided contest? Yes. Should Butera be limited to 3-5 ABs/week? Yes. Is this a reasonable way to keep both Mauer and Doumit's bats in the lineup? Yes! Is there any useful purpose to carrying 13 pitchers? NO NO NO! (or 12, or 11).

Any criticism of the roster should be directed at Gardenhire and Ryan. Please give Butera a break!

You are correct that he should never start and the criticism should be directed at Gardy and Ryan. But, if you are going to carry a third catcher, find one that has a better line than .178/.220/.261.

Seth Stohs
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Well said, TwinsFanLV!

sotafan
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
There is not one catcher in the minors that should be called up and but on the bench(and ever start). NOT ONE!!!!!! Get over yourself Gardy. NOOO you DO NOT need a 3rd catcher. Thank God Ryan as a brain!!

Rosterman
04-20-2012, 10:57 AM
The couple of times that a pitcher MAY need to bat - let's have Luke Hughes or someo
ne available to PH then.......naw! The backup is Duomit. Yes, we may want him to field a bit better...but you can't have everything, and with Butera/Rivera/Towles you have nothing.

twinsnorth49
04-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Give Butera a break? Why? The guy had the worst statistical batting season of any position player since the '50's!! Stevie Wonder could have got on base more than him. How does that warrant a break?

The definition of "Dreaded" in Webster's is "Drew Butera". I agree with your points on having a 3rd catcher, just not who.

Yes, there is a useful purpose to having 12-13 pitchers, we need them all to get through 9 innings.

Todd G
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Drew Butera is a wasted bench spot. This team does not have 2 or 3 at bats a week they can afford to throw away.

USAFChief
04-20-2012, 12:52 PM
13 pitchers will resolve itself. It was a temporary solution to the uncertainty surrounding Blackburn and Perkins. A third catcher is probably unnecessary though, particularly when one can make a case that the crappy starting pitching means a 7 man bullpen is defensible.

Ultima Ratio
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
With Doumit's ABs limited due to the RF musical chair addition of Clete, why add any player that takes away ABs at catcher? OR, will this third Catcher only sit on the bench in case of emergency, never getting in except as a late inning replacement for Doumit at C? Until there is a plan for Doumit getting regular ABs, I don't see how bringing another C up makes any sense. It only makes sense if they intend to put Doumit in RF regularly.

gmarais66
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
A few minutes ago, on 1500, Gardy was asked about the third catcher and the whole situation sounded up in the air... Reusse mentioned that Rivera worked well with Liriano last year... Gardy mention Towles as somone to bring up if you want a third catcher who can hit... He also said Towles can play some third or OF, giving him more options...

Thrylos
04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't see how bringing another C up makes any sense. It only makes sense if they intend to put Doumit in RF regularly.

It does not make sense even if they put Doumit in RF regularly... Then Mauer will be the Catcher and if something happens to him, Doumit can come in and Catch at that point. Gardy's unsubstantiated fear is that he will lose the DH if one of the 2 Cs is DHing and the other gets hurt. Nuts.

Thrylos
04-20-2012, 01:17 PM
He also said Towles can play some third or OF, giving him more options...

interesting... I guess 4 players who can play third (Valencia, Burroughs, Carroll, Plouffe) and a whole bunch of people who can play the OF do not give him enough options now...

Ultima Ratio
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
It does not make sense even if they put Doumit in RF regularly... Then Mauer will be the Catcher and if something happens to him, Doumit can come in and Catch at that point. Gardy's unsubstantiated fear is that he will lose the DH if one of the 2 Cs is DHing and the other gets hurt. Nuts.
I agree with you. I guess I should say I don't like having 2 Cs either, and I wouldn't to do it. Since I don't see Gardy putting Doumit in RF regularly, it doesn't make sense is my bottom line. Even then, I still agree with you. This scenario makes even less sense if Doumit is on the bench (Mauer catching and Clete in RF) AND ALSO having a third catcher. Fair enough?

Also, I thought the same thing about having so may guys who can play many positions. I don't call that added versatility, I call that intentially moving players out of position to fill an imagined stop-gap defensive emergency.

gmarais66
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
P.S. While on 1500, Gardy said Willingham had agreed to be the emergency catcher, since he was once a catcher...

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm a little intrigued by the hand-wringing about this. What is the concern, exactly?
1. Are we worried about losing one of the bullpen pitchers to waivers? (I have a little trouble believing that.)
2. Is there a different player we want called up who would provide so much more value as the last guy on the bench? (It can't be Hughes, because it hasn't been 10 days, right?)

I can understand being generally opposed to having a 3rd catcher, just like I can understand being generally opposed to a 13 man pitching staff. But this isn't a theoretical situation. From a practical standpoint, what is the downside here?

twinsnorth49
04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm a little intrigued by the hand-wringing about this. What is the concern, exactly?
1. Are we worried about losing one of the bullpen pitchers to waivers? (I have a little trouble believing that.)
2. Is there a different player we want called up who would provide so much more value as the last guy on the bench? (It can't be Hughes, because it hasn't been 10 days, right?)

I can understand being generally opposed to having a 3rd catcher, just like I can understand being generally opposed to a 13 man pitching staff. But this isn't a theoretical situation. From a practical standpoint, what is the downside here?

The downside is that it might end up being the worst hitter in the modern history of baseball.

Thrylos
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
The downside is that it might end up being the worst hitter in the modern history of baseball.

+1 (and not only the modern history, Ancient history as well)

and with Gardenhire's need to play him at least every 5 days when Pavano starts, you know that the team will have at least 200 futile PAs.

Shane Wahl
04-20-2012, 02:31 PM
The downside is that Drew Butera doesn't belong in major league baseball. I cannot believe how anyone could possibly defend bringing him up.

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
A little back of the napkin figuring....
In 2010, when he was on the roster the whole year and Mauer's primary backup, Butera got 155 AB in 170 plate appearances. Let's assume he gets about 150 plate appearances, though that seems high. Furthermore, let's ONLY take a look at offensive impact, not counting any defensive value.

According to Baseball-reference.com, Butera has created 20 runs in 407 plate appearances or .048 runs per plate appearance.
Meanwhile, Hughes has created 31 runs in 335 plate appearances, or .092 per plate appearances.
The difference between those guys is .044 runs per plate appearance.
Over 150 plate appearance thats....6.6 runs difference. That's 2/3 of a win or less than 1% of the runs the Twins will produce this year.

It is also well within reach of what Butera could add just by gunning down a few baserunners.

I spent most of the offseason on the podcast asking that the Twins get some reasonable alternatives to Butera. But from a practical standpoint, they have. This kvetching seems like a knee-jerk reaction, a bad habit that we've developed, a Pavlovian defense mechanism.

Cap'n Piranha
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM

and with Gardenhire's need to play him at least every 5 days when Pavano starts, you know that the team will have at least 200 futile PAs.

This doesn't make any sense. Let's assume that Pavano starts 32 more games the rest of the year. That would mean Butera would have to get to the plate more than 6 times every game. Assuming Butera bats 8th or 9th, that means at least 48-54 PA's for the team in each of those games. Even if each game went 11 innings, we'd be looking at 15 to 21 baserunners, which should be enough to get 5 to 6 runs across at least, which is perfectly acceptable offensive production. What's more, even if Butera plummets to a .100/.125 BA/OBP, he will still, in 200 AB's, produce 20 hits and 5 walks, which are far from futile PA's.

Nor is Gardenhire worrying about losing the DH if he has to move Mauer or Doumit from that role to catcher an unsubstantiated fear. Given that the situation described here is EXACTLY what would happen, this is a completely substantiated fear. Finally, as John himself said, who exactly do we think would be getting the random AB's when Gardy doesn't have either Mauer or Doumit starting at catcher?

twinsnorth49
04-20-2012, 03:09 PM
A little back of the napkin figuring....
In 2010, when he was on the roster the whole year and Mauer's primary backup, Butera got 155 AB in 170 plate appearances. Let's assume he gets about 150 plate appearances, though that seems high. Furthermore, let's ONLY take a look at offensive impact, not counting any defensive value.

According to Baseball-reference.com, Butera has created 20 runs in 407 plate appearances or .048 runs per plate appearance.
Meanwhile, Hughes has created 31 runs in 335 plate appearances, or .092 per plate appearances.
The difference between those guys is .044 runs per plate appearance.
Over 150 plate appearance thats....6.6 runs difference. That's 2/3 of a win or less than 1% of the runs the Twins will produce this year.

It is also well within reach of what Butera could add just by gunning down a few baserunners.

I spent most of the offseason on the podcast asking that the Twins get some reasonable alternatives to Butera. But from a practical standpoint, they have. This kvetching seems like a knee-jerk reaction, a bad habit that we've developed, a Pavlovian defense mechanism.

Knee jerk? I've been kvetching about Butera as far as 2 years back, last year developing into full fledged querulous whining! I won't defend Hughes but your comparison is between a guy who was pretty useless and a guy who is even more useless.

Shane Wahl
04-20-2012, 03:32 PM
There may be a 7-10 guys with more value for the roster than Butera in Rochester. I don't care that it may only be 2/3 of a win. It's still 2/3 of a win, A, and B, some of these guys could overperform (Carson, Hollimon, Bates, etc.), but we know Butera is going to bat .200 at most and maybe crack .550 OPS if extremely lucky. It seems that the Twins have plenty of guys who could top .650 OPS. Is it so much to ask for a bench that has adequate or better than adequate bats at least in some situations (LH/RH)? There is no situation where one would ever want Drew Butera to be at the plate than any of those players. Even though he has sucked at Rochester (who cares given he is splitting time with two duds), if Gardenhire is so hellbent on having three catchers, I would prefer to see what Towles can do when given the opportunity.

I always laugh when I hear something like "at least they know what to expect from" x player (often Nick Punto was that x) as a reason to sign or utilize that player. Well we know exactly what to expect from Butera (and Rivera) and that is badness.

gil4
04-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I can understand being generally opposed to having a 3rd catcher... From a practical standpoint, what is the downside here?

I think the downside is we don't trust Gardy to use him like a third catcher. He'll use Doumit as the DH/RF/3rd catcher and get Butera another 200+ ABs because he likes his defense.

Shane Wahl
04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I think the downside is we don't trust Gardy to use him like a third catcher. He'll use Doumit as the DH/RF/3rd catcher and get Butera another 200+ ABs because he likes his defense.

Good point. John . . . think if the Twins had some other closer and Matt Capps was still around as a setup man . . . I recall you saying on a G&G that you just wouldn't trust that Capps ends up closing for whatever Gardenhire-engineered reason. Same thing here.

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Knee jerk? I've been kvetching about Butera as far as 2 years back, last year developing into full fledged querulous whining! I won't defend Hughes but your comparison is between a guy who was pretty useless and a guy who is even more useless.

By "knee-jerk", I meant that it is a reflex, and in our case, it's a learned reflex. It might be fun to get mad about, but I think the criticism melts a bit when faced by any real analysis.
As for "useless" - that's my point. Yeah, Butera is relatively useless. So would be an extra middle infielder. Or a 5th outfielder. Or a 13th pitcher. To me, whatever move the Twins make is almost a freebie.

Shane Wahl
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Let me say one thing, in defense of Butera ever being on the roster . . . if the Twins would (in May?) ever go with a 5 man bench and 11 pitchers (crazy idea, I know . . . hell 11 used to be high back when I was a kid). That last spot would literally be for a defensive replacement in close games only.

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm still puzzled by this perception. I asked for evidence that Gardenhire is somehow partial to Butera in another thread and don't think I got a reply. Like I said, in 2010, when Mauer was the only catcher, Butera got 155 plate appearances. Last year, Butera got a ton of at-bats, but Mauer was hurt and there just weren't much in the way of other options. And this year, he was presumably involved in the decision to send Butera down before Towles and was the primary decisionmaker to carry Burroughs over a 3rd catcher. I'm honestly asking - why are we so convinced that Gardenhire has a mancrush on Butera?

I suppose the evidence could be Gardenhire quotes raving about Butera's defense, but what does that really prove? Only that Gardenhire feels the need to publicly reward a guy for playing defense (or publicly defend a guy he knows can't hit his way out of a paper bag.) If he didn't do that, wouldn't we criticize him for going after him like Valencia.

Seth Stohs
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM
yeah, I don't get where people think that Gardy is a big Butera guy. They like his defense... they've been very upfront about the offense. I'm not in favor of a 3rd catcher, but I am in favor of Doumit in the lineup every day, and again, there aren't a lot of changes made in the game, so playing with a 3 man bench and a 3rd catcher, not a big deal.

And, if Butera was up the whole rest of the season, I can't imagine him getting more than an average of two plate appearances a week. That might be high. I think we're talking about late-inning defense and late game injury replacement. That puts him at like 60-70 plate appearances. Can't make much difference to a team's season in that few at bats.

Last year was a weird year that Twins fans need to get over. He got that number of plate appearances because Mauer was hurt and there wasn't a Doumit on the roster. That wouldn't happen again.

Thrylos
04-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm still puzzled by this perception. I asked for evidence that Gardenhire is somehow partial to Butera in another thread and don't think I got a reply. .

Plenty of evidence:

Morales (and Ramos) was better than Butera in 2010, but Butera made the trip up North.
Rivera has been a better catcher in 2011 (if you look at AAA numbers as well; and Liriano has been more effective with Rivera catching him than with anybody else) but Butera is the one who stayed with the team when Mauer was deemed ready.

Now you are going to hear the excuse that Butera is a "great defensive catcher". Look at the numbers, especially PBs to see whether the excuse is substantiated by the numbers. Fact: Last season Butera had more PBs than Doumit/inning caught

So that's that... There is no smoking gun, but....

twinsnorth49
04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
By "knee-jerk", I meant that it is a reflex, and in our case, it's a learned reflex. It might be fun to get mad about, but I think the criticism melts a bit when faced by any real analysis.
As for "useless" - that's my point. Yeah, Butera is relatively useless. So would be an extra middle infielder. Or a 5th outfielder. Or a 13th pitcher. To me, whatever move the Twins make is almost a freebie.

Criticism of.....Butera? Having a 3rd catcher? Analyzing one bad player with another?

The sad part is we're even discussing this, the reality is this is about what the best thing to settle for is. It would be nice if the Twins could use that freebie on someone who could actually help the team. That's my point.

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Ramos was a fulltime guy, that's why he wasn't there. I'll take your word on Morales.
I personally might have given Rivera more time, but it's worth noting that he hit .144 in the majors. So there might be an edge there, but it's a small edge. Plus, it only shows that a) the organization didn't choose the right, nearly worthless catcher, but that hardly shows a Gardenhire bias. And
b) that Gardenhire is going to be anxious to give whoever comes up a lot of at-bats.
I'm not saying Gardy doesn't like Butera. I just don't see a lot of evidence that he's going to give him a dangerously large role.

John Bonnes
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
The sad part is we're even discussing this, the reality is this is about what the best thing to settle for is. It would be nice if the Twins could use that freebie on someone who could actually help the team. That's my point.

It's a fair point, and on the one hand, I'd love to have a real bench bat that I was confident in. That, to me, would be what this team could use right now. A veteran DHish guy.

But on the other hand, part of the issue is that the bench is already much better than it has been in the past. On most night, Gardy can turn to a decent choice or at least work things to have a matchup in his favor. Even now, I don't even mind the 13-man pitching staff. If anything, this team needs a lot more bullpen options than bench options. And that's because it doesn't look like a bad offensive team right now.

Top Gun
04-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I would rather have the Twins carry a extra pitcher than a catcher. The downside is Mauer & Domit gets less at bats. Let's keep the bench fresh.

Riverbrian
04-20-2012, 09:35 PM
P.S. While on 1500, Gardy said Willingham had agreed to be the emergency catcher, since he was once a catcher...

Gardy just solved the problem right there. In case of injury Willingham straps on the tools of ignorance, gets signs from the dugout, puts fingers down and catches for the one or two innings necessary. I know catcher is a unique position. It's not a long term solution, it's a finish the game solution and get to tomorrow. If you are worried about it. Prepare for it. Have the hammer catch some bullpens, take some time and work on his footwork. Coach him for the possibility. The best coaches in the world and A guy who has played baseball his whole life including some catcher. Jeez get him work in a ninth inning of a 10 0 blowout. It's preparation for something that might happen.

gunnarthor
04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I agree with most of John's posts. The last bench player isn't worth all this fuss.

Bark's Lounge
04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
yeah, I don't get where people think that Gardy is a big Butera guy. They like his defense... they've been very upfront about the offense. I'm not in favor of a 3rd catcher, but I am in favor of Doumit in the lineup every day, and again, there aren't a lot of changes made in the game, so playing with a 3 man bench and a 3rd catcher, not a big deal.

And, if Butera was up the whole rest of the season, I can't imagine him getting more than an average of two plate appearances a week. That might be high. I think we're talking about late-inning defense and late game injury replacement. That puts him at like 60-70 plate appearances. Can't make much difference to a team's season in that few at bats.

Last year was a weird year that Twins fans need to get over. He got that number of plate appearances because Mauer was hurt and there wasn't a Doumit on the roster. That wouldn't happen again.

Thank you Father Christmas. Me is glad you is not want Drew play lots. Me as Twins fan need to get over last years poopy. Me want see good things happen. If Drew come plate want pinch hitter no one left on bench maybe Marquis will hit and we throw bucket behind home plate to catch pitches. Bucket is good hit I hear!

jorgenswest
04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Is the worry about losing the DH? How much better is Butera than a pitcher?

Is the desire to have a better defender at catcher on the bench? Maybe reasonable.

As long as Butera doesn't start, I would rather see him than Towles. If Mauer is out with injury, I'd rather see Towles.

Bark's Lounge
04-21-2012, 12:50 AM
If you cannot hit .230 or above as a position player - NO GO!
This is not Earl Weaver's 1970's
The game of Major League Baseball cannot be inhibited by great field/no hit baseball players anymore. The game has changed. Offense needs to be tied to the fielding attributes of a position player as defense needs to be tied to an offensive player's hitting prowess, unless you are a DH. Mark Belanger is a relic of history, not an example of modern Major League Baseball.

Montecore
04-21-2012, 01:07 AM

My cat can hit better than Butera and can work a few walks as well. Anybody but Butera.

clutterheart
04-21-2012, 02:36 AM

why?
He is a terrible player I cant stand him.
He stinks
And he deserves to be constantly booed.

shs_59
04-21-2012, 03:14 AM
I'm with Mr. Bonnes, lets be real fans. WE ALL KNEW Butera was going to see Big Lg. time , at some point. Well, unless Mr. Mauer turned into IRON Man 2.0 before our eyes this April.

Plus, Butera is hitting .290 (i know SSS) But still he's the Red Wings 3rd or 4th best hitter right now.... Seriously.

He won't be worse then Burroughs.

Han Joelo
04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Full strength Mauer catching 120 games plus Doumit catching 35 games plus Butera catching 7 games still equals the best catcher in baseball. Casilla is the only player in the starting lineup likely to get pinch hit for, and their will almost always be a Plouffe or a Parmalee or a Burroughs on the bench. Not worried about this at all.

Bark's Lounge
04-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm with Mr. Bonnes, lets be real fans. WE ALL KNEW Butera was going to see Big Lg. time , at some point. Well, unless Mr. Mauer turned into IRON Man 2.0 before our eyes this April.

Plus, Butera is hitting .290 (i know SSS) But still he's the Red Wings 3rd or 4th best hitter right now.... Seriously.

He won't be worse then Burroughs.

Butera will be much, much, much, much worse of a hitter than Burroughs. It's like comparing Toby Gardenhire to Miguel Cabrera... much worse!

Thrylos
04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Full strength Mauer catching 120 games plus Doumit catching 35 games plus Butera catching 7 games still equals the best catcher in baseball.

If you are going to have a player on an MLB bench to only play in 7 games, you are better with an other arm in the pen... even a horrible arm that you can use only when you are down by a lot as a mopup pitcher.

Fire Dan Gladden
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I believe we are all still living the Mike Redmond dream. For a few years we had arguably the best backup catcher in baseball and we were all spoiled. Perspective is the name of this discussion.

Can anybody guess what the numbers were for catchers last year? Let's narrow it down, go with primary backup catchers only. We are talking about the arguably worst offensive position in all of baseball. If the guy coud hit .250 while playing solid defense, he would probably be starting somewhere.

If Doumit is going to be a FT position player while seeing some time behind gthe plate, it makes sense to carry a third catcher. Considering Doumit's defensive liability, it makes sense that the 3rd cartcher be a defensive player. The overall concern would be how many at-bats this player gets.

The other part of this discussion that confuses me is the heighten passion involved. I would think that with all of the other issues the Twins currently have:
- Large number of injuries
- Liriano pitching horribly
- Starting pitching looking wretched as a whole
- Nobody in the minors to come up and adequately backfill, well, any position

The last spot on the bench does not seem like the best spot to be focusing our attention

ScottyB
04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Last year after the Twins traded Jim Thome, Gardy said having a one dimensional player on the bench really hamstrung him. I guess he just can't handle a good bench. We opened the season with one of the strongest Twins benches in years - Revere for speed and defense, Burroughs - for a professional left-handed bat who could play corner infield, Plouffe - a versatile right-handed bat who can play infield and outfield, and Hughes - another infielder with right-handed pop. I get that Revere needs to play every day and needs more seasoning and Thomas is an adequate replacement for him. But Butera for Hughes makes me want to throw up. Butera is just as one dimensional as Thome - only worse. Why would you ever use Butera to pinch hit off the bench. If Mauer or Doumit get injured during a game and you use Willingham for a few innings for one game and call up Butera for the next day it's no big deal. If MLB had a taxi squad of players available only in an extreme emergency you could carry an emergency catcher. But since they don't, leave Butera a plane ride away at Rochester.

mnfireman
04-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Out of 108 major league C's to play last year, Drew Butera's avg. was tied for 93, the only C with at least 100 PA who was worse was Rene Rivera, who came in at 100. The Twins got a .160 BA out of two C's who combined for almost 360 PA's. And based on the advanced stats (RF, CERA, and CS%) Rivera outperformed Butera, albeit in a smaller time frame. Hopefully the team will not need either of them this year and Towles or Herrmann is ready to give Mauer his days off next year.

Shane Wahl
04-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I guarantee you that even Danny Lehmann would out-perform Butera and Rivera for the Twins right now.