PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents and lineup

DomeDog
10-08-2013, 01:37 AM
I would like to see Twins take a good look at Luke Hochevar.

At roughly 5-7 mil for Hochevar (4.5 now) it's worth looking in to. He seems to have figured it out in the bullpen. Might be worth giving Pelfrey - Correia money for a good bullpen guy at worst. At best, his bullpen numbers and potential (#1 overall) turn out and he's a top notch starter. As a bullpen guy, he's blocked from being a closer in KC but could be a good replacement for us if we get a good offer for Perk.

Elsewhere:

I would prefer to bring in a former #1 Hudson, Halladay, Johann Santana (all successful in AL) and a youngen' (relatively) like Hammel or even Hughes.

I would move Mauer to 1st and let it ride with Pinto. Also think Sano is opening day 3rd baseman and Plouffe nets an arm on the market - then hits 30 homers elsewhere. Can we really have Sano, Pinto, Arcia AND Hicks on opening day lineup? That is a lot of learning on the job happening. But big reward if it works.

rajai davis, Corey Hart and James Loney are interesting guys to add as an alternative to the above "extreme youth scenario".

glunn
10-08-2013, 02:11 AM
Nice first post. Be prepared for some respectful debate.

Moderator note -- this is a first time poster. Let's try to be welcoming.

stringer bell
10-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Hochevar has a great arm. I think he is worth a look, especially as a potential starter. I expect Sano and Hicks to both open in AAA--Sano, in part to start his service time clock a bit later and for Hicks, he needs to "master" that level--I think moving Plouffe this offseason would be selling low. The hitter I would like to see the Twins acquire is Kendrys Morales, a switch-hitter without a "weak side", who can play first or DH. However, ESPN reports that the Mariners will probably give him a qualifying offer.

Welcome to Twins Daily, Dome Dog!

old nurse
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Hochevar is still arb eligible so he would have to be non tendered to be a free agent, salary dump to be available for trade. There are reasons why he was a failed starter, can the Twins staff fix that?

Rick Blaine
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
May be I am too cynical at this point-- or may be I have lost my confidence in Terry Ryan-- but here are the free agents he is going to target:Justin Morneau, Delmon Young, Johann Santana and Matt Garza.He will land two of them-- not Garza.

howieramone
10-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Nice 1st post! I thought about Hochevar also, and if he can start, why not take a shot. If he's a relief pitcher, I believe we have more of the same at a lot less money. I like Corey Hart and always have. He would be a good Twin.

TheLeviathan
10-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Hart is an interesting fit, I just worry the guy is physically shot.

spideyo
10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't think Plouffe is going to net us anything right now. Better to let him ride and hope he builds up some value by the trade deadline. I also am not excited about the idea of jumping Sano up to the bigs right away. He still got things to work on, and I'd rather he work that all out in ST.

As for catching, I don't think Mauer is done yet. Plus, Pinto's numbers were gaudy, but it's unknown if that will be sustainable. My plan would be keep Mauer at #1, Doumit #2, Hermann as 3rd catcher/4th OF, start Pinto at Rochester. Brin Pinto up to be #2 when Doumit gets traded

diehardtwinsfan
10-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Plouffe won't get you a thing. Half of this board wants him DFAd for good reason. I think he gets one more shot. With Sano knocking on the door, Plouffe needs to get off to a good start and show that he's mastered this level. If he doesn't, it's to the bench and a non-tender next season. If he does, he might get traded at the deadline or in the offseason.

Rosterman
10-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Right now, offensively, the Twins basically have one or two bench spots open, with some musical chairs happening during the season. If they can find another power bat for the lineup (be it an OF, 1B or fulltime DH) then they should spend monies there. Otherwise, concentrate on pitching. They could trade for high-arbitration guys like Luke to give him a new home, but what they give up would have to be meaningless, as I wouldn't want to see Minnesota be another one-year showcase for a potential free agent (a la Pelfrey, although I seriously wonder what kind of offers he will get this season). The Twins can afford to sign a free agent with a qualifying offer, as they won't lose their first rounder. I would say go for it.

They really do need to ink 2-3 solid free agent starters, a slugger who can play 1B/3B/OF or DH. They need to make an early decision, then, on Parmelee and Plouffe (and even Colabello, who isn't getting any younger, folks) not to mention Burton. There are a few trade chips, nothing people will get excited about, but parts contending teams might desire if they face injuries or whatnot (Swarzak and Duensing could become quite valuable, too).

DomeDog
10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Got faulty interwebs info about Hochevar and arbitration. Makes it more difficult to make a deal. But even through trade I think he's a worthy investment. Not too old. He just looked right out on the mound this year.

I figure Hart is cheap coming off the injury. If he plays 120+ games healthy, and hits the ball like he does, he could be a good interim player until the youth is properly seasoned. Hopefully Twins won't hang on too long like Willingham though.

I'd just hate for Plouffe to get even worse and the promise of yester-year's 20+ HR's is too far away for teams to remember. Maybe we're already there.

Any thoughts on a free agent veteran #1 to hold the fort until Meyer and Co. arrive?

Shane Wahl
10-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I am for adding exactly 0 aging veterans.

Hochevar would be a good third FA pitching signing.

gunnarthor
10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice first post. Be prepared for some respectful debate.

Moderator note -- this is a first time poster. Let's try to be welcoming.

But it's fresh fish.

gunnarthor
10-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I would like to see Twins take a good look at Luke Hochevar.

At roughly 5-7 mil for Hochevar (4.5 now) it's worth looking in to. He seems to have figured it out in the bullpen. Might be worth giving Pelfrey - Correia money for a good bullpen guy at worst. At best, his bullpen numbers and potential (#1 overall) turn out and he's a top notch starter. As a bullpen guy, he's blocked from being a closer in KC but could be a good replacement for us if we get a good offer for Perk.

Elsewhere:

I would prefer to bring in a former #1 Hudson, Halladay, Johann Santana (all successful in AL) and a youngen' (relatively) like Hammel or even Hughes.

I would move Mauer to 1st and let it ride with Pinto. Also think Sano is opening day 3rd baseman and Plouffe nets an arm on the market - then hits 30 homers elsewhere. Can we really have Sano, Pinto, Arcia AND Hicks on opening day lineup? That is a lot of learning on the job happening. But big reward if it works.

rajai davis, Corey Hart and James Loney are interesting guys to add as an alternative to the above "extreme youth scenario".

I believe Hudson is retiring. I think the Twins have already been linked to Hughes and I'm sure they'll kick the tires on Santana. In the last two years, they've had 8-9 starters/year make 10 or more starts so they'll need to add a few.

Sano won't be here on opening day, Twins get an extra year of control and save $$ if he stays down in AAA for a bit.

Corey Hart is a very interesting bat to add to the mix. His defense would be ugly but I think he'd be a solid fit on a short term - 3 year - deal.

spideyo
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I think Hughes would be an interesting addition. If I recall correctly, the Twins tried getting him as part of a package for Johan.

His career arc reminds a bit of Liriano. Inconsistent, marred by injuries, but when he's been good he's been VERY good. He is also only 27. He's coming off arguably the worst season of his career, so he should be cheap. A change of scenery and a pitcher friendly ballpark could be just what he needs to reboot his once-promising career

beckmt
10-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Want nothing to do with Hart. Hughes would be a good possible signing, if a couple of others do not take Twins offers. Am more interested in Johnson and Lincecum(if not qualified). Maybe bring in one veteran on a chance(Halliday, Haren). Do not bring in any more pitch to contact pitchers as the number 1 or number 2 starter. Do believe in the young starters(not that they are better, but less likely to decline). Draft more high risk, high return high school pitchers(only 1 in 3 or 4 make it anyway, but those who do are the #1 or #2 starters). Spend money on pitching, rest will be fixed in the next two years, Twins will not be able to contend without good starting pitching.

Oldgoat_MN
10-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Hughes has a SO/9 that is rather pedestrian, though it would loom large on our staff.

Still want the Twins to go after Kazmir.

Luke would be a good experiment as a SP, though. I'd be all for it.

DomeDog
10-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Timmy won't go to Minnesota it's too cold and too humid. The Twins don't do head cases well and he is one.

Very interesting thoughts I'm seeing. Mauer can play C, I just think before the season is over he moves so a rental 1st baseman is best. Being a transported Twins fan in the Bay Area I'm seeing two front offices freak out about the health of their stud, once in a generation, MVP catchers and how the position is already showing signs of wear. They certainly become less elite if they move positions but a .330 hitter is still elite.

If Hicks starts in AAA as he should, who plays center and/or leads off? Presley? Mastrionanni? That reminds me of the Chad Allen days. And I don't like that. Which is why Davis is interesting, who had a good year despite injuries and was actually getting on base. If we don't bring in rental power like Hart, rental speed would make Gardy happy. Me too.

Hosken Bombo Disco
10-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Timmy won't go to Minnesota it's too cold and too humid. The Twins don't do head cases well and he is one.

Good to get that local perspective. I will refrain from beating the Lincecum drum this offseason.

spideyo
10-09-2013, 07:36 AM
I think Hicks, Mastroianni, and. Pressly compete for CF in ST. If Hicks doesn't cinch it, you start him at Rochester and give the opening day start to whomever is healthier and hit better between the other two, and make the other guy the #4 of

At this point, I think if rather see a Collabello/Parmelee platoon at 1b than a "rent-a-bat". You can always pick up a spare 1B bat later in the season if they end being contenders. If neither of those guys work out, you can always try Plouffe their (giving 3b to Escobar) or start teaching 1b to Hermann, Pinto or Arcia.

DomeDog
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I do really like Collabello, would rather see him platoon with Mauer at 1st in between days when Mauer catches. But parmalee just can't be consistent. He never really has been throughout any level. We have too many rookies who are going to be up and down. We need constant reliable hitters at each corner.