PDA

View Full Version : Contraction Revisited

Bark's Lounge
10-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Let's take a time machine back to the offseason of 2001-2002 when it was threatened that the Twins might be contracted.

This is a question of personal speculation, but it might be fun or interesting to read a TD participant's point of view on the topic of "What if the Twins were contracted." Let's say the Twins ceased to exist after the 2002 season.

How would you have felt at the time and how would you feel now?

snepp
10-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I would have ceased to be a fan of major league baseball, and it would be the same now.

Grudges, I'm good at them.

Brock Beauchamp
10-07-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm with snepp. I would have written off baseball entirely. It took me five years just to get over the strike of 94.

It just so happened that I missed many bad Twins seasons because of it. Hell, living in CA, I didn't even know what happened to Puckett until 1997. Baseball went from an obsession to sport non grata overnight because of the strike. I didn't warm back up to the sport until 98/99.

Oldgoat_MN
10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
I, too, have had lingering grudges after strike years.

I love baseball and would have adopted another team, though who that would have been is not at all clear to me.
And, of course, I would not see very many MLB games per year.

That would suck.

gunnarthor
10-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Mostly agree with Snepp and Brock. I was pretty angry about the contraction thing at the time but I had also moved away from MN. I stopped following the Vikings and T-Wolves. It would've been pretty easy to stop caring about baseball if the Twins were gone.

I might have been interested in a dispersal draft and might have followed the team that certain players (Radke, Mauer) but probably would have slowly not cared.

IdahoPilgrim
10-07-2013, 08:13 AM
It would have gutted me. I might have continued to follow baseball, but not with the passion I have now. I probably would have turned to hockey in default.

I would probably have more hair now, though.

howieramone
10-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I would have supported the Brewers and started going to Gopher baseball games again.

ChiTownTwinsFan
10-07-2013, 08:54 AM
I was living in Chicago by that time. So maybe all the pressure to become a White Sox fan by friends here would have worked.

Oh, who am I kidding, no ****ing way.

Don't know what I would have done.

Seth Stohs
10-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I was never against the concept of contraction. I might even agree with it from a talent perspective. However, if it would have happened to the Twins, I don't know how my life would have been different. I also assume I'd be a Brewers fan, since they would be on FSN. But, who knows.

ThePuck
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
The real problem with the contraction threat is that our owner was all for it and the Commissioner's team (Brewers) is the team that would have benefited the most from the Twins being contracted.

Musk21
10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Here was a mock dispersal draft that Gammons put out. Interesting to revisit now that it didn't happen:

Peter Gammons (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2001/1026/1269577.html)

gil4
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Hockey used to be my favorite sport. Both of my teams moved (the North Stars and Whalers). The NHL is dead to me. I don't watch. I don't listen. I don't check scores. I don't pick new teams.

If the Whalers come back, I will become a fan again. (I know the North Stars are gone forever.)

nicksaviking
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I would have supported the Brewers and started going to Gopher baseball games again.

I was never against the concept of contraction. I might even agree with it from a talent perspective. However, if it would have happened to the Twins, I don't know how my life would have been different. I also assume I'd be a Brewers fan, since they would be on FSN. But, who knows.

When contraction talk was in full swing the Brewers actaully became my least favorite team, even ahead of the Yankees.

Bud Selig was helping contract the Twins. The Brewers would benefit most from the likely additional geographicly relocated fanbase. Bud Selig used to own the Brewers and upon getting the comish job full-time he handed control over to his daughter. In my mind it was not a coincidence that Selig so supported a Twins contraction.

notoriousgod71
10-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Here was a mock dispersal draft that Gammons put out. Interesting to revisit now that it didn't happen:

13. Toronto Blue Jays (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tor): Twins RHP Adam Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6649). They wanted him at the July 31 deadline, and with all their young talent, he could be a cornerstone for the Yankees' prime challengers from 2003 on.

Was this the proposed Stewart deal that Ryan wanted? If so it's just another example of being terrified of trading prospects and not working out.

P.S. Johan is a real steal in that draft, while Sean Bergman > Joe Mays.

Sssuperdave
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Wow... that draft is fascinating. I always knew prospects were hard to predict, but I didn't realize how hard it is to predict future performance of guys already on the 40 man. Seriously...

Guzman, Mays, and Milton above Hunter, Radke, Cuddyer, Mientkiewicz, and Santana.

Check out the writeup on Joe Mays...

5. Kansas City Royals: Twins RHP Joe Mays (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6187). This guy pitched better than Milton or Brad Radke. He showed he's better than you think, a front man for a staff needing one.

... And after 2001 he amassed -2.8 WAR.

JB_Iowa
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I would have probably adopted the Cardinals (one of the 6 "markets" that covers Iowa).

I probably would have been better off .... but I've been a Twins fan since '65 so I would have been pretty sad/mad about it but by now my sad/mad would have worn off and I'd probably be a happy camper with the Cards of the last few years. (OTOH, I could have adopted the Royals and it would have been a long decade).

Thrylos
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I am still mad at everyone in the Twins' front office who was there and were part of the contraction, including the First Scout. Hard to talk about what ifs and hypothetical situations, but I would still follow baseball and not sure whether I would follow one of my NL local teams like the Pirates or the Mets (don't care about the Phillies) or not.

The Wise One
10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Rather than renovate a bad stadium the Rays move north, change their name to a new corporate sponsor and are called the Minnesota Targets. For 2008 flush with cash and a fan base so starved for a winner they come out, added Torii Hunter to play RF and WS championships would have followed.

gunnarthor
10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Wow... that draft is fascinating. I always knew prospects were hard to predict, but I didn't realize how hard it is to predict future performance of guys already on the 40 man. Seriously...

Guzman, Mays, and Milton above Hunter, Radke, Cuddyer, Mientkiewicz, and Santana.

Check out the writeup on Joe Mays...

... And after 2001 he amassed -2.8 WAR.

In fairness, in 2001 Mays led the AL in ERA+ and posted a 6.7 WAR year. His season was a bit lucky but it was still a legitimately good season. He had a bunch of injuries after that year though.

jokin
10-08-2013, 12:15 AM
The real problem with the contraction threat is that our owner was all for it and the Commissioner's team (Brewers) is the team that would have benefited the most from the Twins being contracted.

Selig and Carl were extremely tight. I hosted a radio show in the early 90s and I invited Pohlad to appear on the show, shortly after the 1992 season. He agreed to appear, but only if Bud and White Sox owner, Jerry Reinsdorf, would also be on the show. As expected, Bud did most of the talking for Carl and Jerry. Not much of a "vision" for baseball was presented in the interview- upon query, they had no interest in expanding their brand internationally as other pro leagues like the NBA and NFL were doing, they instead, primarily focused their conversation on getting MLB costs under control (of course, later on Bud sacrilegiously cancelled the 94 World Series, ill-advisely expanded baseball to pay off the collusion penalties- along with adding another round in the playoffs with the addition of the Wild Card, and looked the other way during the steroid scandal in order to resurrect baseball's fortunes after the self-inflicted damage the owners had wrought upon themselves).

Only later did I learn of the extent of the skullduggery involved in their takeover of Major League Baseball with the ousting of Fay Vincent on an 18-9 "No Confidence" vote, orchestrated by what was later deemed the "The Great Lakes Gang" ( which in addition to Selig, Pohlad and Reinsdorf, also included Cubs owner, Stanton Cook and Dodgers owner, Peter O'Malley). Bud and Carl had also previously been involved in the Collusion Ruling that ended up costing the owners $280M in civil penalties and punitive damages payable to the Player's Union.

It was 10 years on, and Bud and Carl were again at the center of the skullduggery- this time with the addition of one Jeffrey Loria to the inner circle- and this Owners Cabal was again sued, this time by the minority owners of the Expos for racketeering and conspiracy with intent to defraud, for as much as $300M in punitive damages in the Contraction Case (contracting baseball just 8 years after expanding baseball? Nice Vision). Bud was forced to settle in arbitration for an undisclosed sum, thus allowing the Expos to be moved to Washington, and the Twins (Carl stood to be compensated at fair market value in agreement to be contracted), inadvertently, to be saved. Sad but true story.