PDA

View Full Version : Twins pitcher's WAR

notoriousgod71
09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
A friend of mine just told me that combined the Twins pitching staff has a 9.9 WAR.

I just checked Fangraphs at that is somehow accurate. This is just inexcusable. Somehow Pelfrey leads at 2.1.

*Full disclosure, I absolutely hate WAR, but I think it shows how wretched this staff has been all season long so I'm going to use it and promote in on this one occasion!

notoriousgod71
09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Also Jamey Carroll was better than eight Twins pitchers with his 0.

gunnarthor
09-30-2013, 04:20 PM
A friend of mine just told me that combined the Twins pitching staff has a 9.9 WAR.

I just checked Fangraphs at that is somehow accurate. This is just inexcusable. Somehow Pelfrey leads at 2.1.

*Full disclosure, I absolutely hate WAR, but I think it shows how wretched this staff has been all season long so I'm going to use it and promote in on this one occasion!

I don't think you need WAR to tell us how bad the staff is. Fangraphs WAR likes Pelfrey because it bases WAR on fip, whereas bWAR uses runs allowed (I believe), which really didn't like him.

IdahoPilgrim
09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
This is why I particularly hate WAR in reference to pitching - Baseball-Reference has a completely different stat:

Team pitching WAR is 3.8, with Perkins leading at 2.1, and Pelfrey is -0.3.

When there is that much difference in the same player (Pelfrey 2.1 vs -0.3) between two different sites, it makes the metric meaningless. There needs to be standard definition of what WAR is.

IdahoPilgrim
09-30-2013, 04:25 PM

Would you then be in favor of resigning Pelfrey, as the best pitcher we had this year?

notoriousgod71
09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Would you then be in favor of resigning Pelfrey, as the best pitcher we had this year?

Absolutely not.

notoriousgod71
09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
This is why I particularly hate WAR in reference to pitching - Baseball-Reference has a completely different stat:

Team pitching WAR is 3.8, with Perkins leading at 2.1, and Pelfrey is -0.3.

When there is that much difference in the same player (Pelfrey 2.1 vs -0.3) between two different sites, it makes the metric meaningless. There needs to be standard definition of what WAR is.

This seems more accurate to me.

ashburyjohn
09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
This is why I particularly hate WAR in reference to pitching

What you hate, I guess, is that multiple organizations use the same name for computations that mean very different things.

iastfan112
09-30-2013, 04:41 PM
In a vacuum, as low upside rotation filler #5, sure but the Twins need some pitchers with more upside even if they are riskier.