PDA

View Full Version : Article: Acquiring Talent The Twins Way: Pitchers (part 2 of 3)

Willihammer
09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2371-Acquiring-talent-the-Twins-Way-pitchers-(part-2-of-3)

Badsmerf
09-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I still believe Santana should be considered a Rule 5 pick-up, regardless of the trade on draft day. The most disgusting stat that doesn't surprise me is out of the 855 total WAR accumulated during this time, the Twins only account for 28 of it, or just 3.2%. That is just in the AL. This percentage would be much lower if all teams were taken into consideration.

P.S. Why did you do just the AL? The Twins compete against every team to acquire talent. Doing the entire league would be a much better representation.

Forever34
09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Wasn't Pavano a waiver claim? Couldn't tell you his WAR for the life of me, but he had a couple solid seasons.

Brock Beauchamp
09-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Wasn't Pavano a waiver claim? Couldn't tell you his WAR for the life of me, but he had a couple solid seasons.

Waiver claim and then trade before the waiver trade deadline. Pretty sure the Twins gave up a go-nowhere prospect to get Carl from the Indians.

old nurse
09-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Waiver claim and then trade before the waiver trade deadline. Pretty sure the Twins gave up a go-nowhere prospect to get Carl from the Indians.

Yohan Pino

Badsmerf
09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
I liked Pino! Well, kinda liked him... at least compared to other Twins prospects at the time. His problem was an 88 MPH fastball if I remember right lol.

gunnarthor
09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Out of curiosity, do you split up a guy if he was picked up in a trade like Pavano and then resigned here as a FA? Or was all his value put in the trade category?

Good list. One small point, you wrote "Overall, the average Twins Amateur Draftee has pitched to a .88 WAR season. But take Radke out of the equation, and the average drops to .60 WAR." I think a person could read that and then say Radke skews the results and the Twins real return is .60 WAR, among the worst in the AL. But I would imagine every team has one player who skews high.

And a follow up question, if I'm reading the chart right, it says the Brewers got 20 seasons from the draft and 20 WAR from them. Ben Sheets was drafted by them and amassed about 25 WAR in 8 seasons. So, did they get -5 WAR in those other 12 seasons or is something amiss?

Badsmerf
09-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Out of curiosity, do you split up a guy if he was picked up in a trade like Pavano and then resigned here as a FA? Or was all his value put in the trade category?

Good list. One small point, you wrote "Overall, the average Twins Amateur Draftee has pitched to a .88 WAR season. But take Radke out of the equation, and the average drops to .60 WAR." I think a person could read that and then say Radke skews the results and the Twins real return is .60 WAR, among the worst in the AL. But I would imagine every team has one player who skews high.

And a follow up question, if I'm reading the chart right, it says the Brewers got 20 seasons from the draft and 20 WAR from them. Ben Sheets was drafted by them and amassed about 25 WAR in 8 seasons. So, did they get -5 WAR in those other 12 seasons or is something amiss?
That was in the NL, the Brewers were only included for the time they were in the AL.