PDA

View Full Version : Article: Examining Twins Managerial Candidates

Cody Christie
09-24-2013, 07:09 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2358-Examining-Twins-Managerial-Candidates

John Bonnes
09-24-2013, 07:11 AM
I wonder if Mientkiewicz's actions in High-A - specifically, getting into a fight with another manager - might cost him any realistic consideration.

pierre75275
09-24-2013, 07:26 AM
I was just going to say...what about dougie baseball or mayb a charlie manuel...he also has ties to the twins organization

John Bonnes
09-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Or Mike Scioscia, if he's available. Or Ozzie. :-)

This might be a good place of people to list some of their favorite candidates. I'd love to hear some additional names besides the most common ones.

ThePuck
09-24-2013, 07:54 AM
The guy I was hoping we'd get after canning Gardy last offseason (which didn't happen) was Francona. Then I wanted Ryne Sandberg. Francona could be going to the playoffs with a not extremely talented Indians team and Ryno just had interim taken off his manager title.

So now my choice is Dave Martinez, TB bench coach.

pierre75275
09-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Soscia would be my favorite I think. Then dougie baseball and charlie manuel. It would be awesome if there was another coaching overhaul and all three were coaching at the big league level next yr

USAFChief
09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
My choice would be Dave Martinez. Comes from another organization (a forward thinking one), youngish, and seems to be a smart guy.

Oldgoat_MN
09-24-2013, 08:29 AM
I would be up for hiring Ray Searage, and here's why:

He has done a great job as the pitching coach for the Pirates. Neither AJ Burnett nor Liriano could have been projected to do as well as they're doing since going to the Pirates and hanging out with Searage. For that matter, I don't know if Locke was projected to be as effective as he has been.

I don't really know if Searage has ever managed. I'd just offer him any title he wanted.
I feel pretty much the same about Mike Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach.
(I wonder if Greg Maddux comes along with Mike and retains the title of Special Assistant?)

Basically, I'd look for someone who seems to have some recent success developing pitchers.

Winston Smith
09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
I've been thinking about Mike Maddox for a while. The pitching has to be fixed system wide and he has a good record. Of course, will he be a good manager? Likely he would be good with good players just like gardy has been and not so good with bad players.

gunnarthor
09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
I had thought that Dougie Baseball would eventually be the new manager. But one year of managing in the minors? Maybe. I think Ryan would like to stay within the org or get someone who would fit in with org thinking - Ozzie, for instance. My guess is Ryan wants to bring back Gardy but might not be able to for a variety of reasons. If Sciosia or Ron Washington were fired, they'd both be considered but I don't think we'd hire either of them.

I guess I don't really have a guess. I don't think the final pick will be that exciting - Ryan picked Gardy over more noticeable names like Molitor before and that worked out. Ryan strikes me as the type of guy who follows his plan and doesn't overly worry about outside pressure and the Pohlads seem to give him all the time/respect he needs. (I don'[t think Molitor will be manager but I have to admit that Ryan seemed to have gone out of his way to mention Molitor publicly several times this year. So maybe he has more of a shot than I think).

gunnarthor
09-24-2013, 08:39 AM
I would be up for hiring Ray Searage, and here's why:

He has done a great job as the pitching coach for the Pirates. Neither AJ Burnett nor Liriano could have been projected to do as well as they're doing since going to the Pirates and hanging out with Searage. For that matter, I don't know if Locke was projected to be as effective as he has been.

I don't really know if Searage has ever managed. I'd just offer him any title he wanted.
I feel pretty much the same about Mike Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach.
(I wonder if Greg Maddux comes along with Mike and retains the title of Special Assistant?)

Basically, I'd look for someone who seems to have some recent success developing pitchers.

I don't think either are bad ideas but, for whatever reason, pitching coaches rarely become managers. There seems to be some industry bias against it.

BP had an article about it a few years ago: Baseball Prospectus | Overthinking It: Ex-Pitching Coach Managers (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=12335)

JB_Iowa
09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
I also have questions about a pitching coach managing. Plus, so many of the concerns that many of us have discussed about pitching have been organization-wide not just a question at the major league level. Perhaps what is needed on that front is a new position -- one with more prestige than either manager or pitching coach -- to take on the entire pitching mess system-wide.

As for the manager, I would prefer someone from outside the organization. I like what I know about Dave Martinez but I'm sure there are others out there who might also be forward-thinking and who offer a new perspective and style of leadership.

Willihammer
09-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Nice writeup. I think this is a very realistic list. Many of us would like outside blood but those guys, esp. if they aren't currently managing, might end up with Twins staff coaching around them anyway so pitching and hitting probably wouldn't be affected much.

That said, there is plenty I believe a manager can control in-game. The drum that I have banged for a while is defensive shifting, and one of the more innovative guys I've seen this year is the Pirates' Jeff banister (who is actually the Bench coach). Manager and Coaches | pirates.com: Team (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=pit&coachorstaffid=110529)

edit: COnflicting reports who is in charge of the shifting on the Pirates. According to this article, 3rd Base coach Nick Leyva is the man arranging infield shifts.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4689239-74/pirates-defensive-season#axzz2fpJAslD9

Hosken Bombo Disco
09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Gladden would do great, he can outmanage the current manager any night he wishes.

Shane Wahl
09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I thought I posted this already. I think the list starts and stops: 1. Terry Steinbach. 2. Gene Glynn

One of those two will be the next manager.

Rosterman
09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
The manager is either as good as the coaches he surrounds himself with, and you now have up to six or more coaches on your staff, or he is totally take-charge and runs everything on the field and the coaches do things totally his way.

The Twins, going forth, need people who work well with youngsters, especially some of the out-of-country youth. It is a big step that the minor league process has to battle -- new towns, more money, a nomad lifestyle, responsibility off and on the field, working well with others.

It's also have a player or two who step forward as captains and speak to or for the group.

It also needs a front office in sync with what is happening to the baseball world in general.

It is also nice to have someone who can and will interact with the media, with fans (season ticket holders) and who offers a shoulder and good advice when necessary.

It will be an interesting off-season.

I could see Terry Steinbach getting the job, and adding Jake Mauer and Gene Glynn to the coaching staff (amongst others) at this time. I do see Jake being groomed, so maybe he does need another year at Rochester or New Brit (or even Cedar Rapids)...but who knows.

But, better yet, who can general manage the Twins into the next decade!

Winston Smith
09-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Based on uninformed speculation, Steinbach or Moliter will be named. The old gaurd coaches will be gone, Cuellar will be pitching coach, Bruno likely stays and a few new names.
I don't see them going out of the org. not the Twins Way.

If they were going to bring Gardy back why wouldn't they have already done it? Why would he want to comeback? 4-5 good jobs likely open, Angels, Rangers, Yankees (that would be fun) Nationals and maybe another couple. Better jobs imo.

nicksaviking
09-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Let's go outside the organization with a former hispanic catcher. Sandy Alomar Jr. or Pudge Rodriguez. Let's get some Latin leaders with the current group of young international players coming up.

Jim Crikket
09-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Despite the general wailing and gnashing of teeth it will cause, Gardy will be getting a new 2-year contract, but Jake Mauer will be added to the Major League coaching staff, probably as a base coach, and will be the odds-on favorite to be the next Twins manager.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Molitor managing a Twins affiliate next year.

The combination will make for an interesting dynamic to watch as the Twins likely go through another tough year in 2014. Gardy could be Dead Man Walking by mid summer, with the Twins being willing to eat a year of his pay to replace him if the team tanks again.

There's absolutely no way Terry Ryan goes outside the Twins organization for his next manager. Simply can't see that happening.

Also can't see him replacing Gardy with someone even older, to lead a youthful rebuild. That leaves Glynn out.

Dougie is, as I recall, in Florida because that's where he wants to be due to family issues. Unless those have been resolved, I don't see him being anywhere but with the Miracle in 2014. Of course, by 2015 or 2016, if Gardy survives that long, he could be a consideration if he keeps the number of meltdowns in check and the family issues aren't still a factor.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
09-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Dougie said he wants Pierzynski as his bench coach (when he retires). I'm not sure a lot of us would be ok with that.

Shane Wahl
09-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Is that other guy, Jeff Smith (NB), just there . . . I mean he isn't talked about at any level here. Long-term plans for him?

I don't think that the Twins are simply going to promote Jake Mauer to anything with the Twins right now. I do wonder if he could skip over to the aforementioned New Britain (with Molitor in Cedar Rapids).

It seems as though they would have signed Gardenhire to a new deal by now, doesn't it? I am not sure what to make of Gene Glynn, but if he or Steinbach are managing, yes, I would like the bench coach to be of Latin American descent. Even if it is just to add to that guy's managerial resume for a couple of years right now. How about a guy with over 4,000 professional hits who also played in a Mexican League, a Japanese league, and a South Korean league? Someone who took and takes RIDICULOUSLY good care of his body?

don't look it up. Think fast and answer who this person is . . .

gunnarthor
09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Julio Franco? Is he managing somewhere?

I agree that the Twins could use some Spanish speaking coaches/or manager. Not sure Franco is the answer.

Shane Wahl
09-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Julio Franco? Is he managing somewhere?

I agree that the Twins could use some Spanish speaking coaches/or manager. Not sure Franco is the answer.

I believe he is managing the Mets GCL team now.

I just pulled his name out of any number of capable guys for a few reasons: he has played all over the world (esp. if the Twins go into that Asian market again . . . . . ), played baseball forever, and is severely disciplined about taking care of his body--I think there is added value in having a coach around like that.

strumdatjag
09-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Ozzie!!!

Jim Crikket
09-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Is that other guy, Jeff Smith (NB), just there . . . I mean he isn't talked about at any level here. Long-term plans for him?

I don't think that the Twins are simply going to promote Jake Mauer to anything with the Twins right now. I do wonder if he could skip over to the aforementioned New Britain (with Molitor in Cedar Rapids).

It seems as though they would have signed Gardenhire to a new deal by now, doesn't it?

I had thought about Smith and I wouldn't totally rule him out. He has a reputation of not being all that popular with the players, so it seems like the only reason you would give him the Big League job would be because you wanted to hire "not Gardy." That is, a manager who isn't too concerned about being well-liked in the clubhouse. I wouldn't rule that out, but I think he's more likely to be added as a coach than a manager. I could also see him moving up to Rochester if Glynn moves up/on, but I'm not sure he'd be real popular there with fans/media, either.

Jake Mauer has spent several years working with young players, including most of those who are likely to be the core of the next wave of MLB talent. The only thing his resume lacks is Big League experience and, knowing how high the front office is on him, I'll be very surprised if they don't give him an opportunity to fill that gap on his resume.

I'm not at all surprised no announcement has been made re Gardy. Everyone knows it won't be an altogether popular decision, so I can see them announcing it after the season is over when he won't have to hear that displeasure vocalized every time he steps out of the dugout.

cmb0252
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Mike Maddox. Please go outside the organization for once. We need some new blood with some new ideas.

Winston Smith
09-24-2013, 12:15 PM
"..... and is severely disciplined about taking care of his body--I think there is added value in having a coach around like that."

If you look at Gardy you can see he at least feeds his body really well. Exercise not so much.

Yossarian
09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Dougie Baseball's aggressiveness doesn't look (to me) any worse than Gardy's, particularly with umpires.

They'll ask Gardy to come back for a one-year deal. Question is, will he take it? I think Gardy hasn't any other alternatives if he wants to manage.

Sconnie
09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
I like Old Goat's train of thought. If our weakness is pitching, lets make it a point of emphasis. My vote is Jim Hickey

powrwrap
09-24-2013, 01:33 PM
My ideal candidate would be:

1. Someone, anyone, that has never played for, coached for, or scouted for the Twins or their minor league teams. In other words, someone that has NEVER been attached to this organization.

2. Someone not named Ozzie Guillen.

3. Someone not named Bobby Valentine.

4. Someone not named Jim Leyland.

S.
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Unless TR goes too I don't see much, if any, chance that we end up with a forward thinking manager from outside the organization. In my opinion, we're much more likely to see them shuffle around a bunch of folks who are already in the org so they can keep on doing the same ol, same ol while claiming we're going to make big changes.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but at this point my expectations aren't exactly high(to put it nicely) until I see something that proves to me we have any intentions of changing the way the org is being run.

Wookiee of the Year
09-24-2013, 04:33 PM
I wonder if Mientkiewicz's actions in High-A - specifically, getting into a fight with another manager - might cost him any realistic consideration.
I might've thought so, but Mientkiewicz also won Manager of the Year in the Florida State League. Makes me wonder if the fight wasn't as big a deal as you are I would think? It's hard to imagine the Manager of the Year being someone who literally tackled another manager, but it happened. His peers must not look down on the incident that much.

This might be a good place of people to list some of their favorite candidates. I'd love to hear some additional names besides the most common ones.
First, I have to agree with Jim Crikket that the most likely scenario is Gardy gets a two-year contract. My expectation is the front office will offer him a one-year deal, he'll say thanks, but no thanks, and then the front office will cave and go to two.

And while it's doubtful they'd look outside the organization, if you're looking for less commonly mentioned candidates, I'd nominate Manny Acta for manager. He's more into stats than your typical manager, he's available, and I'd like to see the Twins add a manager who's not monolingual. Plus, let's face it, Acta has some experience with rebuilding teams.

Pius Jefferson
09-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Throw a couple of names out there.

Chili Davis and Chip Hale.

Thrylos
09-24-2013, 05:59 PM

That should actually be a plus... it is in my book ;) This team needs a manager with emotions, who stands behind his players and can actually bring some energy in the dugout.

To the OP:

Seriously, the only negatives on Gardenhire are the last 3 seasons? In some cases, his inability to win in the post-season was worse that his last 3 season...

If you are going to use the age card on Glynn, it should be used on Molitor as well. They are the same age. I was always wondering whether Molitor's drug use has anything to do with him not being a manager, but this also the organization that hired a PED cheat as a hitting coach the past off-season... Scottie & Steinie should be added to the list (I know, I know....) if the Twins will go internally.

Really disappointed to not see external names, because this is what the Twins need (starting from the GM, of course.) I suspect that this is an internal only list.

Thrylos
09-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Hopefully the boot. He is not liked by his players, the New Britain fans and the New Britain local club management. How he is still with the organization (and gets a trip to the AFL) is beyond my comprehension...

Thrylos
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Or Mike Scioscia, if he's available. Or Ozzie. :-)

Wally Backman, always have been a big fan and this season had a tremendous turnaround of the Mets' AAA team as a manager. And Twins' ties ;)

Torey Lovullo, current Red Sox' bench coach, many years as a AAA manager

and one of the up and coming but blocked managers:

Charlie Montoyo many years as the Rays' minor league manager with tremendous success in his teams, but as long as Maddon is around, his future in that organization would be in the minors.

SydneyTwinsFan
09-24-2013, 06:23 PM
I think if Gardy gets a 1 or 2 year deal then either Jake Mauer or Dougie Baseball will be good chances to succeed him after that. It's probably a bit early for both, but I'd like to see one of them added as a bench coach.

If Gardy is gone, my picks would be Molitor (internal) or Dave Martinez (external).

big dog
09-24-2013, 06:32 PM
I might've thought so, but Mientkiewicz also won Manager of the Year in the Florida State League. Makes me wonder if the fight wasn't as big a deal as you are I would think? It's hard to imagine the Manager of the Year being someone who literally tackled another manager, but it happened. His peers must not look down on the incident that much.

Yeah, that makes me wonder if all the other managers also wanted to fight that guy at some point, and gave Mint some cred for actually trying to do it.

jimbo92107
09-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Gene Glynn or Terry Steinbach.

Yawn.

TheLeviathan
09-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Molly is still my vote. I just want to see some damn aggressiveness on the basepaths.

Sconnie
09-24-2013, 07:25 PM
My ideal candidate would be:

1. Someone, anyone, that has never played for, coached for, or scouted for the Twins or their minor league teams. In other words, someone that has NEVER been attached to this organization.

2. Someone not named Ozzie Guillen.

3. Someone not named Bobby Valentine.

4. Someone not named Jim Leyland.
I fit those criteria...

Shane Wahl
09-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Molly is still my vote. I just want to see some damn aggressiveness on the basepaths.

Where is there any word that he has at all been considered for any managerial job, much less a major league one.

I just don't get the fascination with Molitor-as-manager.

TheLeviathan
09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Where is there any word that he has at all been considered for any managerial job, much less a major league one.

None, but he's had close ties to the organization and has a good profile to be a successful manager.

Let's be honest, the Twins are not going to hire outside the organization. It just isn't how they do things.

Anorthagen
09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I could see Gene Glynn becoming the new manager of the Twins

Hosken Bombo Disco
09-24-2013, 10:11 PM

I do agree, if anybody it will probably be Steiny (yawn), but...

Let's flip this around -- on this thread and other threads, what's your animus towards Molitor?

Back in the day, I pulled for Molitor over Gardenhire. But Gardy won me over (until about 08 or 09). Looking back I'd say Molitor could have done at least as well as Gardy and not been as intimidated by the absolutely mediocre Yankees every single season. The experience angle is overrated and won't swing many people considering Molitor's knowledge of the game etc.

And for the record, I'm not necessarily in Molitor's corner anymore. I'd definitely take him over Gardenhire though.

But again, why get so animated when someone mentions him?

Ctwink
09-25-2013, 08:42 AM
How can you have a "complete" review of prospective Twins managers without discussin Steinbach. He's probably the MOST obvious choice! Come on...

ScottyB
09-25-2013, 09:53 AM
First of all a pitching coach becoming the manager scares me - I keep having nightmares of Ray "the Rabbit" Miller. Secondly, whether or not Gardy is brought back, Andy needs to go. Time to give Bobby Cuellar a chance. If Steinbach is elevated to manager, we need to purge Vavra and Ullger. That would leave four coach openings - bench, first, third and bullpen (assuming Bruno stays as hitting coach). I could see elevating Glynn and Mientkiewicz or Mauer. If you elevate Dougie, give Tommy Watkins a chance to manage the Miracle. I'd like to see the two remaining spots with guys from outside the organization - and preferably Hispanic. The bullpen might be a place for Pudge Rodriguez since he has no official coaching background. My preference would be an hispanic outsider for bench coach. Options could include Ozzie, Tony Pena (should he become available), Felix Fermin, Juan Samuel, or Andres Galaraga.

LastOnePicked
09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
It appears that Gardy's extension is already a done deal. Ryan is referring directly to Gardy's role on the 2014 squad already in interviews:

Minnesota Twins have plenty of 'issues' in 91st loss - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_24169672/minnesota-twins-have-plenty-issues-91st-loss)

ThePuck
09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
It appears that Gardy's extension is already a done deal. Ryan is referring directly to Gardy's role on the 2014 squad already in interviews:

Minnesota Twins have plenty of 'issues' in 91st loss - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_24169672/minnesota-twins-have-plenty-issues-91st-loss)

Seems like you are correct:

'Ryan said he needs to do his job and acquire some starters for next season so Duensing and Swarzak can stay in the bullpen.

"I would like to think I'm going to be able to get Gardy some people here," Ryan said before the game. '

IdahoPilgrim
09-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Interesting quote from Ryan. Wonder if that was an accidental slip or an intentional one.

Winston Smith
09-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Why fix what aint broken?

CGNikolic
09-25-2013, 03:27 PM
I believe he is managing the Mets GCL team now.

I just pulled his name out of any number of capable guys for a few reasons: he has played all over the world (esp. if the Twins go into that Asian market again . . . . . ), played baseball forever, and is severely disciplined about taking care of his body--I think there is added value in having a coach around like that.
We are taking about baseball here Shane... taking care of your body to a large extent is by no means a part of this sport. Any baseball player would agree to that.

Thrylos
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM

I think that Ryan should not assume that he himself will be returning next season, despite what Pohlad said. Three seasons ago this time, BS "had the total confidence" of the Pohlads...

We shall see.

S.
09-25-2013, 03:37 PM
"I would like to think I'm going to be able to get Gardy some people here," Ryan said before the game. '
This statement is unbearably depressing. Third straight 90+ loss season, roster full of AAA players, and he'd "like to think" he'll be able to get us some upgrades? If the Pohlad's are the least bit serious about putting a respectable team on the field, I can't imagine they're happy about a lot of these quotes TR has had recently.

CGNikolic
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I think that Ryan should not assume that he himself will be returning next season, despite what Pohlad said. Three seasons ago this time, BS "had the total confidence" of the Pohlads...

We shall see.
Terry Ryan is not Bill Smith. He keeps things cheap for the Pohlads and has helped make a bright future for this team. The people to point fingers at? The cheap, aforementioned owners of this team. Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that.

ThePuck
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
This statement is unbearably depressing. Third straight 90+ loss season, roster full of AAA players, and he'd "like to think" he'll be able to get us some upgrades? If the Pohlad's are the least bit serious about putting a respectable team on the field, I can't imagine they're happy about a lot of these quotes TR has had recently.

Might run into the problem he did last offseason...just can't give away the team's money :-)

S.
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm hoping he runs into the same problem Bill Smith had after the 2011 season...where he didnt have a GM job anymore.

Winston Smith
09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
"Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that."

Living in the past is fine when the present and near future are this bad.
Haven't won a playoff series since 2002, 0-12 playoff record going not sure that's a lot to hang your hat on at this point.

ThePuck
09-25-2013, 04:03 PM
"Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that."

Haven't won a playoff series since 2002, 0-12 playoff record going not sure that's a lot to hang your hat on at this point.

And blaming Smith for all the issues, while giving credit for two division championships to Ryan while Smith was GM, seems odd too.

LaBombo
09-25-2013, 04:20 PM
So he's now semi-officially the only non-expansion manager besides TK in the past thirty years to return for another year after three consecutive 90 loss seasons.

Put another way, since Gardenhire, to put it hyper-politely, lacks TK's postseason success, the front office is admitting something approximating this:

It took what was a contending core at the end of the past decade, and added tens of millions to the available payroll budget with new stadium revenue.

With those resources, they built a major league roster so dreadfully bad that the last manager to get a free pass for so many losses was managing a historically awful expansion franchise.

That's Ryan's admission with the resigning of Gardenhire. The Twins' MLB talent level the past three seasons has stood at the level of a really, really bad expansion team.

Hosken Bombo Disco
09-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Agree.

Boom Boom
09-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Ryan's quote about getting Gardy some better players could be just force of habit, considering how long Gardy's been here, or it could be one of those "vote of confidence/kiss of death" quotes that always comes before a major organizational firing.

I get the feeling that it's neither, and the Twins country club isn't going anywhere.

DAM DC Twins Fans
09-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I just read all the comments--surprised that Manny Acta and Wally Backman--my top two choices were only mentioned once each. Manny has done well (to a point) with rebuilding teams and Wally (who has Twins connections) has done well in minors.

I don't get the fascination with Molitar--he has ZERO managing experience anywhere--not the right choice.

This will be an interesting offseason--potential jobs in Anaheim, Texas, Twins and here in DC and probably one or two more. I actually wonder if Gardy will come to DC where he has a nucleus.

Hosken Bombo Disco
09-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Wally Backman

Just what we need, another mediocre Met from the mid 80s. And I see the guy has a ton of baggage.

Molitor would be a much better choice in my opinion. Molitor cares about the players and has a good head. He would bring in good coaches. Lack of managing experience wouldn't be an obstacle. Much of the on-field stuff is drills and mentoring, which he has been doing with our prospects anyway, and I'm confident he could fill out a line up card. Molitor also has "Minnesota ties" which throughout this thread has usually been an argument in favor.

Thrylos
09-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that.

Not the correct math:

Math is zero world series and zero AL pennants and:

6 division championships in 12 years for Gardy
and
4 division championships in 16 years for Ryan.

Also
4 5th place and 5 4th place for Ryan and 2 5th place and 1 4th place for Gardenhire

If you like mediocrity, you got to love those guys. ;)

And according that logic, 2 division championships in 4 years makes Smith better than both. At least twice better than Ryan, correct?

jokin
09-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Let's go outside the organization with a former hispanic catcher. Sandy Alomar Jr. or Pudge Rodriguez. Let's get some Latin leaders with the current group of young international players coming up.

I've been beating the drum on these 2 for years. Central Division bona fides, bilingual, record of individual performance and team excellence and toughness and durability, familial ties in the case of Pudge, and treasure troves of baseball experience to impart to young, impressionable players. And they both have been available in the recent past. And speaking of Latin catchers, someone with more experience, Central Division ties and also"manager-ready" would be Tony Pena- but it would probably take too much effort to lure him to Minnesota for the Pohlads.

Upnorthtwinsfan
09-26-2013, 11:21 AM
How about this. Get TK out of retirement and sign him to a one year deal. Make Jake Mauer the bench coach for TK to mentor for a year and give the job to Jake in year two.

TK is great at the details and would be a great mentor for Jake as well as great with the young players.

He probably wouldn't take the job out of respect for Gardy. It's fun to think about it though.

orangevening
09-26-2013, 12:45 PM
How about someone who has a history with the organization and the "Twins way" at the same time has prespective gained from working in other organizations (including the beloved Tampa Bay Rays). Someone with manager experience. A name that the causal Twins fan will love and get excited about (G__ knows they need it);

Gary Gaetti :P

MarshalltheIrish
09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I not only hope with everything in my soul that Gardy isn't retained, but that the Twins would just bring in someone from the outside for once. If they did, I think Tampa Bay Rays coach Dave Martinez would be a fantastic choice. After that, I'd go for Chip Hale or Matt Williams. Of the internal candidates, Glynn would be best. I was once a Molitor advocate and god knows he'd be better than Gardy, but I have my doubts.