PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite Luke Hughes moment?

Seth Stohs
04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
With the news that the Twins DFAd Luke Hughes today to make room for Jason Marquis on the 25 man roster, there is plenty of surprise. Sure, no one is completely surprised, but it's not like DFAing Hughes was the move that anyone anticipated in the "Corresponding Marquis Move" forum.

I would be shocked if Hughes is not claimed simply because of his ability to hit and hit for power against left-handed pitching.

So, with that, Hughes had several good moments with that Wins... what was your favorite?

Mine? His first major league at bat, the opposite field home run in Detroit off of Max Scherzer.

Mr. Ed
04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Don't like the move. Twins are giving up on the guy, who has power potential. and for what? Burroughs?

John Bonnes
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow. Since the first day of the season I've been saying his job was in jeopardy, and I've been complaining about is defense, but I did NOT see this coming. I really do hope he manages to stay with the organization. I would like to see him come back up when the roster crunch is resolved.

John Bonnes
04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Don't like the move. Twins are giving up on the guy, who has power potential. and for what? Burroughs?

I would not be surprised if the Twins are keeping Burroughs around because they can foresee having to platoon him and Valencia.

gmarais66
04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Hughes is very similar to Plouffe... Both have some power, but aren't very good hitters, and neither has a position they are particularly good at... They are expendible, because the minor leagues are littered with players like this...

Airmonos
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I would not be surprised if the Twins are keeping Burroughs around because they can foresee having to platoon him and Valencia.
Burroughs is in the lineup at 3rd today.

cdelzer
04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't like this move...Who are they going to use as a utility player? Why doesn't it make more sense to send Parmalee down so he can get regular AB's?

gmarais66
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't like this move...Who are they going to use as a utility player? Why doesn't it make more sense to send Parmalee down so he can get regular AB's?

Maybe this is precursor to another move, calling up Dozier to play short, moving Carroll to second and Casilla to the utility role.....

Mr. Ed
04-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Probably. Doesn't make it a good move. Burroughs? Really?

Keep guys around til trade waters get warm, then find out what you can get for them.

Payroll will be down big-time next year with Baker's 9 mill gone. Liriano get an extension? No way, more savings. Pavano and Marquis will probably get ridiculous contracts instead. And Cappy will probably get a 2-3 year deal.

ugh

Steve Lein
04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I was hoping Terry Ryan would be much smarter about supplementary roster moves than Bill Smith, but this is evidence to the contrary. 13 pitchers on the staff? Why exactly? Quantity is not better than quality, and there's not much quality there for pitching already. There are players with options, like Parmelee, who hasn't been getting into the last few games anyway and has never played at AAA, and Luke can play 1B too, as he did yesterday. Jeff Gray on the roster still? who cares if he's gone. Matt Maloney? Who cares if he's gone. Alex Burnett? There's no harm in sending him to AAA for a little while, and I'll believe Nick Blackburn doesn't go on the DL when I see it...

I do believe Hughes had a role on this team, and a greater one than Sean Burroughs, who also remains. I just find this very strange when there so many other options, including ones that don't risk anyone to another team.

But I digress. Favorite Luke Hughes moment? Home Run in first career at-bat is pretty hard to beat.

John Bonnes
04-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Maybe this is an indication that they think they'll have Parmelee in the lineup consistently one way or the other. AFter all, it's really Clete Thomas that bumped him out of the lineup on Monday, and that's not too likely to last.

John Bonnes
04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
And Cappy will probably get a 2-3 year deal.

ugh

I know you're kidding, but just to make you wince a little more, don't forget that the deal Capps signed has a team option for 2013. I'm just saying....

cr9617
04-18-2012, 03:31 PM

I have been hoping Valencia has a big couple of months so some team would be willing to overpay for him. I was thinking a platoon of Burroughs/Hughes or maybe even Ploufee could be useful. I just don't see Valencia as the long term answer at 3B.

Mr. Ed
04-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe this is an indication that they think they'll have Parmelee in the lineup consistently one way or the other. AFter all, it's really Clete Thomas that bumped him out of the lineup on Monday, and that's not too likely to last.

Clete Thomas: LH Lew Ford

Mr. Ed
04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I know you're kidding, but just to make you wince a little more, don't forget that the deal Capps signed has a team option for 2013. I'm just saying....

Honestly John, some of the moves they've made have jaded me to believe that they'll pull a couple nonsense moves this offseason with average players like Capps/Marquis/Pavano being overpaid,simply because the organization depth at the high levels is not good.

cdelzer
04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I understand that, but, don't both Parmelee and Morneau struggle against lefties, which is a perfect reason to keep Hughes?

roger
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
This stinks. Count me amongst those who believed that Hughes can be a solid player, assuming he gets more than 3 ab a week. Why not Burroughs instead of Hughes? I think we are finding out that Gardy is in love with Burroughs. Gotta have that big left handed bat to come off the bench, don't ya? As Soucheray would say, this is B. as in B., S. as in S!

Will Hughes make it through to Rochester? Very unlikely in my opinion.

Boom Boom
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
The Twins have far too many players on the fringe of their 25 man roster that are out of options. Something had to give. I'm not a big Luke Hughes fan but I wonder if they would have been better off cutting loose a reliever.

gunnarthor
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm a bit surprised, too. I'd rather have him on the roster than Plouffe.

gmarais66
04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
This stinks. Count me amongst those who believed that Hughes can be a solid player, assuming he gets more than 3 ab a week. Why not Burroughs instead of Hughes? I think we are finding out that Gardy is in love with Burroughs. Gotta have that big left handed bat to come off the bench, don't ya? As Soucheray would say, this is B. as in B., S. as in S!

Will Hughes make it through to Rochester? Very unlikely in my opinion.

Burroughs at least has some history of success at the major league level... Hughes has struggled, for the most part...

SL__72
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Gotta love the 13-man pitching staff.

shawntheroad
04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I was in the middle of the woods on a mountain bike when Hughes hit his first HR off Detroit. Awesome moment and i almost fell off my bike. I saw a lot of Hughes in 08 for New Britain and he was just raking. Have fond memories of early 08 Hughes. I wish him luck, but i'm not surprised by the move the way he's been booting the ball.

ltwedt
04-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Bring up DOZIER - like NOW!

Handwriting is on the wall - Here's a call for you - Dozier will be here with in 10 days - that's by May 1st -

TwinsFanLV
04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Can't stand carrying 13 pitchers. The two times we won a World Series, we carried 10 pitchers.

USAFChief
04-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Can't stand carrying 13 pitchers. The two times we won a World Series, we carried 10 pitchers.
I imagine 13 pitchers is a temporary reaction to the uncertainty surrounding Blackburn and Perkins.

jimbo92107
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm a Luke Hughes fan. If he makes it through waivers, I'll be surprised. He's a tough-nosed utility guy that can play several positions, and he doesn't look intimidated by the big league stage. Twins will be lucky if they can get him to Rochester. That said, what Hughes offers is similar to Plouffe, who was a first round draft pick. If nothing else separates them, you keep the first rounder.

dave_dw
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Does anyone else think this is a good move?

Lets not forget that we're talking about a 27 year old utility man who plays questionable defense, can't get on base and has a career OPS of .627 in 300+ PA's. Twenty-seven is considered to be a hitters prime so he's too old to progress much more as a hitter. He can't really play second all that well, so he's basically a corner infielder who was 3rd on the depth chart at 3B and 5th on the depth chart at 1st base. Why do we need that?

It needs to be Dozier time. The Twins aren't competing this season, so they need to quit wasting time with Casilla at 2nd and use him as the middle infield backup that he is.

Shane Wahl
04-18-2012, 04:13 PM
13 pitchers cannot be what the plan is for more than a few days at most. I assume, that somebody is likely head for the DL.

By the way, Luke Hughes is not a good hitter. FYI. I would not be surprised if he makes it to Rochester.

That said, I find 12 pitchers to already be gratuitous. Jeff Gray?

This means Dozier is coming soon.

kmerfi
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Why not send Parmelee down to the minors where he'll get regular playing time instead?

nicksaviking
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
There still is no word on what happened with Bowden. People should start to suspect a trade is in the works since there should be news on who won the claim by now. The Red Sox are looking for a right handed bench bat. Any chance there is a Hughes/Bowden swap in the works but the Twins needed to lose someone off the roster today so Marquis can pitch?

StormJH1
04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Hughes is very similar to Plouffe... Both have some power, but aren't very good hitters, and neither has a position they are particularly good at... They are expendible, because the minor leagues are littered with players like this...
I agree with this comment. Virtually everyone on the club is out of options. Hughes had OK power numbers in the minors, but also struck out 104 times in 432 AB's at Triple-A. He was a failed prospect at 27, if he was ever a MLB prospect at all.

Plouffe's defense at SS may be terrible, but Hughes wasn't even an emergency option at SS. Hughes can play a little bit of 2nd base, but so can Plouffe, and Burroughs as a LH option at backup 3B has more upside than Hughes. Plouffe's value is the chance for a RH bat to play right field, which is something Parmalee and Clete Thomas are not, and Doumit does not do well. Hughes is redundant, and I hope he catches on somewhere else that needs his services.

Bark's Lounge
04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
It would have been nice to see if Hughes could have gotten his bat going with some semi-regular playing time. That being said he never forced the issue to justify that result because of his not so excellent defense. I agree with most that some MLB team will take flyer on him and claim him off waivers. My prediction for Hughes in the next year is that he washes out in the Majors and signs with a team in Japan and becomes an All-Star type hitter in the Nippon League.

Seth Stohs
04-18-2012, 04:44 PM
The fact that there has been no word on Bowden AND they found it necessary to DFA a useful player unnecessarily, might mean something. Might mean that the Twins needed to make room for Bowden on the 40 man roster, OR that they plan to add someone like Dozier to the 40 man roster (and call him up) shortly.

Thrylos
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
The fact that there has been no word on Bowden AND they found it necessary to DFA a useful player unnecessarily, might mean something. Might mean that the Twins needed to make room for Bowden on the 40 man roster, OR that they plan to add someone like Dozier to the 40 man roster (and call him up) shortly.

Well, they could have removed Nishioka from the 40 man roster to add Bowden

I don't like this move. Burroughs is not as good a player as Hughes is and Gray does not belong to the majors. I think that this is going to be another Garrett Jones/Sergio Santos regreatable move for the Twins. At least Ryan is still "interim"...

Highabove
04-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Luke was scheduled for a Fan Cave visit today.

eveldrive
04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I gotta think this is a first step in a series of moves leading to acquiring a starting pitcher.

Nick Nelson
04-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by this. Not that I think Hughes is anything special, but they didn't give him much of a chance to show anything after a legitimately impressive spring. I think Gardy really dislikes his defense

Seth Stohs
04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by this. Not that I think Hughes is anything special, but they didn't give him much of a chance to show anything after a legitimately impressive spring. I think Gardy really dislikes his defense

Exactly. I'm a fan of Hughes and would loved to have seen him get a chance, but I won't pretend that they're going to miss him. It's just strange because there are so many other moves that would have (in my opinion) made much more sense. (I'm not sure that's a positive for an organization!)

Top Gun
04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
This is just t the beginning there will be alot more to go if they can't play.

SpiritofVodkaDave
04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Though I think they could/should have sent someone down instead, Hughes was never going to be anything special in the majors.

I question his ability to play an even decent defensive INF and he is to injury prone and doesn't hit enough to ever be considered a serious option in the outfield. Hopefully this indicates that the Twins are planning to bring up Dozier very soon, which more or less would have pushed Hughes out of the equation anyways.

Blackburn to the DL however would have made the most sense (unless he comes back soon)

one_eyed_jack
04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
My favorite Luke Hughes moment was when he supposed to get in for a game at Target Field but didn't after he missed his flight because he was waiting at the wrong gate at the airport! Seriously though, if he does get picked up, good luck to him. Don't think he'll ever amount to much more than an average bench player, but he seems like a decent bloke.

Teflon
04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Luke was one of the better spring training mashers. Maybe he'd be a good fit with the Marlins where he could play all season in Florida.

Ultima Ratio
04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
For those of you who'd rather have Blackburn on the 15 day DL and not expose Hughes, wouldn't that move just prolonging the inevitable and only by 10 days or so? Do you really think Hughes would have gotten many AB in those few days before Blackburn comes back, and that he would have had solid ABs with average defense in that interim? I don't think so. I was really high on Hughes coming out of ST this year and last, and still wish we would have seen him get a couple back-to-back starts -- in order to really size up his skills. Yet, his defense really was not good when he played this year, and a utility IF should be at least average in the field. Good luck Luke, though I hope you get through waivers.

jorgenswest
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Hughes skill set does not add much to a bench. Secondbasemen that can't play shortstop have to hit well enough to be the starter at 2B. If there is a team out there that can envision Hughes as their best option at 2B, he will be picked up. Does anyone see a fit?

Jeremy Nygaard
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
I would have have banked on a few other guys getting DFA'd off the big-league roster before Hughes, so this move was a little surprising.

Is it giving too much credit to the front office to think that maybe - knowing they were facing a move - they called some teams and found a trade partner for Luke Hughes? My first reaction upon hearing the news was that some NL team would love to have a (solid?) RH bat that can play 1B, 2B and 3B to utilize during double-switches. That team (or teams) might also feel he doesn't make it that far in the waiver process.

I'm not suggesting that the Twins are going to be able to pull a top-prospect (or even a good prospect) for Hughes, but there are a lot of formerly-drafted-by-the-Twins players out there... and we all know how the Twins love getting those guys eventually.

Is it possible? Who knows...

jorgenswest
04-18-2012, 10:45 PM
I went through the rosters looking for players similar to Hughes that have found their way onto a bench. Looking for right handed batting 2B-3B-1B. Not very many. Jeff Baker and Justin Turner are couple of examples of players with similar skills sets that are a bench player this year. Jeff Baker has made a career of it. Justin Turner was a starter last year and has started two games this year. He has not been a bench player over his career.

Jeff Baker has made a career of it. Anyone else? Can Hughes hit well enough to have that career?

stringer bell
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Color me meh on Luke Hughes. A year ago I would have been even less bothered but Hughes has actually grown on me in this past year. Besides, he signed a baseball for me in ST. Hughes is a utility bat--he isn't a great fielder anywhere, but I thought he was passable defensively as long as he hit. He hit a little last year, but struck out a lot. Analysts pointed out that he could hit the fastball but really struggled against off-speed and breaking stuff no matter what hand the pitcher was throwing out of. I suppose, in the end, Plouffe can do what Hughes can do and is a couple years younger. I wish Luke the best. I hope he stays in the Twins organization, but if he moves on, good luck to him.

Mchans24
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Hughes has never stayed healthy or hit when he had chances. Not to mention his defense is TERRIBLE!! He deserves a fresh start somewhere. Burroughs is a great clubhouse guy, a good bat off bench and a phenomenal defensive player. Casilla is actually hitting the ball really well so I didn't see Dozier getting called up until they trade Willingham or Carrol at the trade deadline. Yes we will trade Willingham this year if we are out of contention at deadline, part of reason why they signed him. Hopefully they can get a power arm for him.

stringer bell
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
For those of you who'd rather have Blackburn on the 15 day DL and not expose Hughes, wouldn't that move just prolonging the inevitable and only by 10 days or so? Do you really think Hughes would have gotten many AB in those few days before Blackburn comes back, and that he would have had solid ABs with average defense in that interim? I don't think so. I was really high on Hughes coming out of ST this year and last, and still wish we would have seen him get a couple back-to-back starts -- in order to really size up his skills. Yet, his defense really was not good when he played this year, and a utility IF should be at least average in the field. Good luck Luke, though I hope you get through waivers.

If the Twins had DLed Blackburn, their rotation would be Pavano, Liriano, Swarzak, Hendriks, and Marquis and they now have seven guys in the bullpen. When Blackburn is ready to pitch (and if Perkins avoids the DL), they most likely move Swarzak back to the bullpen and send down a pitcher. So, when the pitching is clarified (barring more injuries) a pitcher will be demoted. That guy most likely is a reliever. Hughes DFA most likely does clear a spot on the 40-man roster, meaning that Dozier or anyone else not on the 40-man could be called up and placed on the 40-man.

nokomismod
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
If it was Hughes or Burroughs, I think the Twins made the right choice. Burroughs seems to have more poise and maturity, and will be able to handle pinch hitting and late game defensive spots.

Riverbrian
04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Crickey!!! I did not see this coming. Didn't expect Hughes being thrown on the barbie. Good luck to Hughes.

Ultima Ratio
04-18-2012, 11:08 PM
If the Twins had DLed Blackburn, their rotation would be Pavano, Liriano, Swarzak, Hendriks, and Marquis and they now have seven guys in the bullpen. When Blackburn is ready to pitch (and if Perkins avoids the DL), they most likely move Swarzak back to the bullpen and send down a pitcher. So, when the pitching is clarified (barring more injuries) a pitcher will be demoted. That guy most likely is a reliever. Hughes DFA most likely does clear a spot on the 40-man roster, meaning that Dozier or anyone else not on the 40-man could be called up and placed on the 40-man.
I thought this situation through as well, though with Baker gone, Perkins questionable, Blackburn questionable, and already the possibility that we could pick up BP help on waivers -- and with Liriano draining the pen -- I think there is much greater need to keep arms up with the club, rather than Hughes. He'll get his shot one way or another, either now with another team, or after July 31st.

spideyo
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I've been mulling it over tonight, and the thought occurred to me that keeping Plouffe, Burroughs, and Parmalee over Hughes may be more about boosting the trade value of the guys here.

Think about who we've got moving up through the system. Even if Plouffe can be "ok" in rf, he's not going to stay there long-term with Revere, Benson, Tosoni, Hicks, and others waiting in the wings. Morneau, Willingham, Mauer, and Doumit all could have a future as full-time DH'ers. The Twins have made it clear that they don't see him as an IF starter. At best, he's a backup on the Twins, but other teams could have space for him as a starter. You send him through waivers now, you get nothing. You give him a few months to show some hitting prowess and halfway decent defense, and maybe we can get some value from him in a trade.

If Burroughs plays well, he could platoon with Valencia, but I think it more likely that one of the two get traded. Same deal as with Plouffe, if you send him down now you get nothing, later on he or Valencia could garner something decent.

Just a thought

Raven
04-18-2012, 11:35 PM
I think my favorite Hughes moment was a game last August when he whacked 2 run and 3 run homers against Detroit. If not Burroughs then it was definitely Hughes who was most likely to go bye bye in a situation like this. Personally, I'd sooner have seen Plouffe go down the road.

whydidnt
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't think it was a great move from the standpoint that there are a few guys on the roster that I think are worse than Hughes, and i'm looking right at you Sean Burroughs and Jeff Gray. I also think it's unlikely that Hughes will ever amount to much as a major leaguer and losing him isn't the end of the world. However, it sure wouldn't surprise me if he ends up like Garrett Jones and pops up somewhere and belts 25 HRs out of the blue before fading into the background again.

shawntheroad
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I'll miss Hughes: http://puckettspond.com/2012/04/18/thanks-luke-its-been-fun/

Gernzy
04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Suprised by this yes, but it makes sense. I know we'll make a move on a pitcher or two, but I really wonder who comes up. For all the people who are screaming Dozier!!!, trust me it won't be Dozier. He needs to start everyday and the way Carroll and Casilla are playing right now there is no reason for him to be here. He is not a bench player. I just can't think of who else it would be. Plouffe could play more in the infield and we could bring up another outfielder...but who? Revere also needs to play everyday, but there is no room for him in the OF right now.

Next few weeks will be interesting.

twinsnorth49
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
My favorite moment was this spring when he made me believe we could finally replace Alexi Casilla at 2nd base.

Damn you Spring Training, you wicked enchantress!!!

TheMind07
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
For the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone is upset by this move. The guy cannot hit anything offspeed and is a below average defensive player. He crushed in spring training because he got a steady diet of fastballs from pitchers who were working on locating their fastballs. What has the dude ever done to justify being an everyday player. Throw him sliders low and away and he will swing and miss everytime (maybe he learned this best from the beloved Cuddyer?)

stringer bell
04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
For the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone is upset by this move. The guy cannot hit anything offspeed and is a below average defensive player. He crushed in spring training because he got a steady diet of fastballs from pitchers who were working on locating their fastballs. What has the dude ever done to justify being an everyday player. Throw him sliders low and away and he will swing and miss everytime (maybe he learned this best from the beloved Cuddyer?)

Luke could do worse than learn from Cuddy: .370 BA, 1.091 OPS, 2 homers, MLB leading 7 doubles.

Thrylos
04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
I've been thinking about that overnight and here is a summary of my thoughts on the subject: 5 reasons why Luke Hughes got a rotten deal by the Twins (http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/2012/04/5-reasons-why-luke-hughes-got-rotten.html)

perkins7
04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I really would've liked to see Hughes still in the system. Probably one of the few semi-bright spots last year with his power and average defense. Not saying he's a prodigious hitter or a defensive wizard, but he was certainly very serviceable and reliable as a utility infielder. There's almost no doubt that he'll get picked up very quickly, and I wish him best of luck wherever he goes.

TheMind07
04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Luke could do worse than learn from Cuddy: .370 BA, 1.091 OPS, 2 homers, MLB leading 7 doubles.

My point was that he cannot lay off a slider from a righty low and away. Let me guess, you think we should have resigned Cuddyer too?

nicksaviking
04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Luke Hughes has 335 big league plate appearances. I think that's much too small of a sample size to determine any future MLB productivity. Same thing happened with those saying Revere is a terrible hitter. When did everyone start expecting consistant quality at-bats from rookies?

ScottyB
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Bad move - Twins are way too left handed. Hughes was a versatile power option for the bench. Right now the only right-handed hitters are Willingham, Carroll, Valencia, Plouffe, plus switchers Doumit & Casilla. 13 pitchers? I found an article from the late '70's (from the Sporting News) about the White Sox under Tony LaRussa. He was trying to decide whether to go with a 9-man pitching staff or an 8-man, that's right 8 pitchers. Now I realize that times have changed, but it wasn't that long ago that teams regularly used 10 or 11 pitchers. Quality pitchers who can go a couple of innings every other day would go a long way to improve a team. Hughes was never given a chance. Burroughs doesn't have the power a corner infielder should have. The ONLY way this is acceptable is if Dozier is brought up to start at short, move Carroll to second and make Casilla utility. They will regret the move when Casilla gets injured, later this season - as he always does.

Yoshii
04-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't really have a favorite Luke Hughes moment, but always enjoyed his power/spring stats the last couple of years.

2011 - .834 OPS/ 6 hrs
2012 - .984 OPs/ 6 hrs

Whether or not that power translates to the regular season we really didn't give him a chance. We know his average suffers. I will still miss him.

stringer bell
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
My point was that he cannot lay off a slider from a righty low and away. Let me guess, you think we should have resigned Cuddyer too?
Yes and no. Cuddyer is my all-time favorite Twin and I thought the Twins should do what they could to re-sign him, but it is probably best for Cuddyer and the Twins that he got three years and the Twins got a sandwich pick.

Dilligaf69
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I was a little suprised but not upset. Plouffe is basically the same player, really no need for two of them on the bench.

TheMind07
04-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes and no. Cuddyer is my all-time favorite Twin and I thought the Twins should do what they could to re-sign him, but it is probably best for Cuddyer and the Twins that he got three years and the Twins got a sandwich pick.

i couldn't agree more...

Rosterman
04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
C'mon, Hughes has done everything the Twins ask. He hits for pop, yes -- he strikes out He'll tackle any position. A good valuable bench player. Put him out there everyday and I'll take him over Alexi anyday. Between him and Plouffe, you had Twins ultility/bench guys for 4-5 years....defining bench guys...a person who can play more than adequately any position for a modest amount of time and then happily return to role-playing role. I would've cut loose Burroughs for the 40-man spot.

Thrylos
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I would've cut loose Burroughs for the 40-man spot.

The 40-man spot was never a problem (could have put Baker on the 60 day DL to open one if needed but was not needed because Marquis was already on the 40-man roster :) ). The 25-man spot was the problem. Because Hughes is out of options, in order to be removed from the 25-man roster, he had to be removed from the 40-man as well... Just a clarification that is lost in the details...

ashburyjohn
04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I've been thinking about that overnight and here is a summary of my thoughts on the subject: 5 reasons why Luke Hughes got a rotten deal by the Twins (http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/2012/04/5-reasons-why-luke-hughes-got-rotten.html)

Somehow Greg Gagne is coming to mind as a possible comp for Hughes - not very good OBP but with enough pop to be a contributor overall at bat, and with defense that some would criticize but is serviceable. Since Gagne contributed greatly to two WS teams, it's a little compelling. But then in the details, it seems that Hughes comes up short against Gagne in various ways. While Gagne wasn't slick in the field, he was steady and made all the routine plays, whereas Hughes seems to get heat for messing up (even when an error isn't charged). And Hughes is being measured at 2B mainly, and is not considered an option at SS. And finally, his low OBP doesn't even quite come up to Gagne's standard. All in all, these are the differences in being able to hold down a major league job, and not.

USAFChief
04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Greg Gagne was an excellent defensive shortstop. Excellent.

DJSim22
04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Sad to see Mr March go, wish they would have kept him over Plouffe. Same player, just like Hughes better.

CDog
04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Why does "everyone" hate the topic of this thread!?!?!? Haha. Guess it was hard to top the original post's "dinger in first at-bat" moment. Although the wrong airport gate was a forgotten gem.

CDog
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Bring up DOZIER - like NOW!

Handwriting is on the wall - Here's a call for you - Dozier will be here with in 10 days - that's by May 1st -

To paraphrase Margie in Fargo...Can't say I agree with ya 100% on your calendar counting there, ltwedt! Haha. Although I guess techincally that is still BY May 1st. Ahhh, probably just reaching for an excuse to think about Fargo.

gil4
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
...the possibility that we could pick up BP help on waivers...

Is that BP bullpen or battnig practice? Will we be able to tell the difference?

ashburyjohn
04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Greg Gagne was an excellent defensive shortstop. Excellent.

No he wasn't. No.

Most major league shortstops are excellent, against some absolute scale. And I loved Gagne to pieces; he was instrumental and underrated in their WS wins. But Gagne won no Gold Gloves, and as far as I recall he was never even in the discussion for such an award. He made the routine plays and you can't say that about every shortstop; but he was a league average defender with so-so range, nothing more. His value (again comparing to other shortstops) was more on the offensive side.

Luke Hughes should aspire to such defensive heights, of course.

woolhouse
04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Back to the question at hand...

My favorite Luke Hughes moment came in 2011. He came up in a couple key spots for the Twins early in the season (before the season was a complete waste) and the audio guy at Target Field was smart enough to play the sound byte: "Use the force, Luke." And at least one of the times he came through with a game-tying single.

Shane Wahl
04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Luke Hughes is probably better off in another organization. He is at a dead end with the Twins. Consider:

If Morneau gets hurt, Chris Parmelee, Joe Mauer, Ryan Doumit, and Trevor Plouffe are better all-around players to fill in at 1st and DH.
If any of the other infielders gets hurt, Dozier is up immediately (if Valencia, Carroll moves to 3rd).
If any of the outfielders get hurt, anyone from Revere to Mastroianni to Carson to eventually Tosoni or Benson are filling in.

Luke Hughes doesn't actually hit lefties particularly well. What role does he fill?

Ultima Ratio
04-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Is that BP bullpen or battnig practice? Will we be able to tell the difference?
Uh, I seriously hope it's bullpen help, which we should have gotten earlier.... like in the offseason.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
According to LEN, Hughes was claimed off waivers by Oakland.

mhanson93
04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
According to LEN, Hughes was claimed off waivers by Oakland.

This is my favorite Luke Hughes moment.

Seth Stohs
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Tweet from Hughes: "I'm very happy to say that I'm off to Oakland. Thank you to the Minnesota Twins organization and to the fans. Can't wait for the fresh start"

whydidnt
04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Considering the current 3B situation in Oakland, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes installed as their starting 3B. If so, we'll get to see if there was anything there, or if the Twins were right to move on.

Riverbrian
04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Considering the current 3B situation in Oakland, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes installed as their starting 3B. If so, we'll get to see if there was anything there, or if the Twins were right to move on.

I hope he does well. I think he was a premature DFA but also a long shot to being productive. Maybe he slots into 3B for the A's and turns it on. Maybe he doesn't. Good luck to Luke.

jorgenswest
04-22-2012, 03:33 PM
A good fit. Sizemore is out. Hughes has a chance to show he can hit well enough to start. What are the chances he will be more productive than Valencia this year?

Thrylos
04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Any word on what the Twins received in return? At this point it has to be a trade...

Roger Sterling
04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Any word on what the Twins received in return? At this point it has to be a trade...
The Twins received a big bucket of Nothing, since it was a waiver claim.

Thrylos
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
The Twins received a big bucket of Nothing, since it was a waiver claim.

too early to be a waiver claim... After DFA the team has 10 days to trade a player then he goes through waivers... so based on the timing it was a trade

Thrylos
04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
My bad. Apparently was a waiver claim. I thought that it was too early for that

Roger Sterling
04-22-2012, 05:03 PM
My bad. Apparently was a waiver claim. I thought that it was too early for that
Note also that, for instance, Clete Thomas was DFAed by the Tigers on April 12th and was claimed by the Twins two days later. Clearly, the 10-day period does not preclude waivers claims from occurring before the expiration of that period. Rather, the definition of DFA means the team has 10 days to trade or release the player, or place the player on waivers within the first 7 days of the period. The waiver placement does not (in fact, cannot) occur after the 10-day period.