PDA

View Full Version : Article: Two Separate Sophomore Seasons

Cody Christie
09-19-2013, 09:50 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2348-Two-Separate-Sophomore-Seasons

Rosterman
09-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Dozier found some power, and if he can straddle .250 he can hang in there, a la Trevor Plouffe, who is in somewhat the same boat. You can have a few .250 hitters on a team, but you need more hitting above that line and fewer below.

Diamond has one or two more starts. The joy is that he can become a low-cost bullpen fit if need be for a season or two. But he will now have to work off challeners for a starting spot next season. He is out of options now?

richardkr34
09-19-2013, 11:50 AM
.250 is about average for a major league hitter. On a good team, you'd want Dozier hitting seventh.

jimbo92107
09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Brian Dozier has proved that he is willing and able to change his approach to hitting by making significant mechanical changes. That takes courage. These guys spend years trying to perfect their swing, and when it's good enough to get them out of the minors, a lot of ballplayers just don't want to tinker anymore. Instead of settling for an approach that had his average hovering around .200, Dozier sought out Tom Brunanski and did video analysis to figure out how to improve his ability to adjust to different speed pitches. The results of his hard work have been spectacular. On top of his improved defense, Dozier now is one of the most dangerous hitters on the team.

Can Pedro Florimon do something like that? According to Roy Smalley, Florimon's flaw is that he automatically dips his hands as he starts his swing. This makes the bat dip down under any pitch above his thighs, resulting in a lot of whiffs and pop-ups. Can Florimon break that habit and learn to make smarter up-down adjustments with his hands? His ability to make that change in the off-season may determine whether or not he keeps his job.

Meanwhile, Brian Dozier to me is a fine example of a ballplayer that is making himself better, not just by hard work, but by studying the game and figuring out what changes he needs to make himself better. This spells a bright future as a player, and later as a coach.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
09-19-2013, 03:05 PM
.250 is about average for a major league hitter. On a good team, you'd want Dozier hitting seventh.

I agree. 7th seems like a great spot for him.

lyndon
09-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah I always think a good rule of thumb is don't judge a young player until he's had either 2 good seasons or 2 bad seasons in a row. It seems almost anybody can have one good season, but putting 2 good seasons back-to-back shows me that somebody has "made it." And the reverse is kinda true too. Sometimes a young player just needs a little time to figure things out and then BOOM! And in a game of millimeters you can see how a kid makes one or two small adjustments and everything changes. You can't coronate or condemn them after one year.

Thrylos
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
The problem with Diamond was that that Twins really inflated his 2012 performance (but of course they were looking at ERA and W-L) . 4.7 K/9 do not an "Ace" as the Twins called him make. He is a serviceable maybe back of the rotation pitcher if he hits his sports. He did in 2012, did not in 2011 and 2013. Major difference of the 2013 Diamond from 2012 Diamond has been BB/9. Add his horrible forced mechanics (check out how he stands with his back leg still up the air for seconds after each pitch watching where the ball is going, instead of having a nice fluid delivery and be in position to field the ball as soon as it is released) and he is trully a work in progress, which might not pay, since the natural talent is just not there. At this point, I'd rather have Duensing, at least his fastball is 5 mph faster...

CGNikolic
09-19-2013, 06:55 PM
The Twins called him an ace well... Because who did we have who was better? Who could we have gotten (keeping in mind we are talking about the Twins) that was? Diamond had a year with good luck that allowed his ERA to look much better than it could/should have been, but he's still better than he was this year. He's best lined up as the #4/5 guy or a solid long reliever. Dozier, while having a much better year than last year, is still AN AVERAGE second baseman. His improvements have been nice, but I think we are drawing too much good out of it. He's a solid hitter at the bottom of a lineup, as noted above, but won't be more than that. He's a little more consistent form of Plouffe, with less power potential and better defense. Likely Replaceable when our prospects come up.

Forever34
09-20-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not totally convinced Diamond's struggles this year didn't have something to do with his surgery or him not being fully recovered yet. In 2012 he had great control and a good curveball plus other pitches that could help induce ground balls. He is by no means an ace, but should be a guy who could/should become a serviceable back-end type.

stringer bell
09-20-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm not totally convinced Diamond's struggles this year didn't have something to do with his surgery or him not being fully recovered yet. In 2012 he had great control and a good curveball plus other pitches that could help induce ground balls. He is by no means an ace, but should be a guy who could/should become a serviceable back-end type.I agree and would add that probably he has "overregressed" if there is such a word. Diamond had a lot of things go right, and it seems like he has been paid back double for every mistake he's made this year. I don't think his arm was 100% and with such a small margin for error an inch or two makes a lot of difference. I expect that Diamond will be starting for the Twins next year and will put up numbers closer to 2012 than 2013.

howieramone
09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
The problem with Diamond was that that Twins really inflated his 2012 performance (but of course they were looking at ERA and W-L) . 4.7 K/9 do not an "Ace" as the Twins called him make. He is a serviceable maybe back of the rotation pitcher if he hits his sports. He did in 2012, did not in 2011 and 2013. Major difference of the 2013 Diamond from 2012 Diamond has been BB/9. Add his horrible forced mechanics (check out how he stands with his back leg still up the air for seconds after each pitch watching where the ball is going, instead of having a nice fluid delivery and be in position to field the ball as soon as it is released) and he is trully a work in progress, which might not pay, since the natural talent is just not there. At this point, I'd rather have Duensing, at least his fastball is 5 mph faster...The Twins at no time referred to him as one of the top 15-20 pitchers in all of baseball. How do you know what statistics they looked at? Every pitcher, in the heat of the moment etc., forgets to get in proper fielding position at some point in time. This hardly qualifies as horrible forced mechanics.

jmlease1
09-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I agree that we should reserve judgment on Dozier until we see if he can play at this level for more than one season, but there are a lot of reasons for hope on him. There's nothing in his performance that suggests "fluke"; no unsustainable BABIP, no beating up on a bunch of Sept call-ups to pad the stats. And the defense has been elite. Right now Dozier looks like a league-average hitter with strong defense, which makes him better than average at 2B and a very valuable asset (hardly replaceable, considering how much trouble the Twins have had with middle infielders in recent years!).

I always expected regression on Diamond, just not this much regression. I still think he can be a useful member of the rotation next season. I'd really like the team to spend to get a guy like Burnett or Hughes to hold down a spot with Gibson and have Deduno, Diamond, Corriea, Hendricks, and Worley fight it out for the other spots until Meyer & May are ready.