PDA

View Full Version : The cusp of a Latino revolution.

Monkeypaws
09-03-2013, 09:31 PM
The Twins have never had a wealth of Latin American talent: the 65 team had Oliva, Versalles and Pascual, the Cubans, but for the most part, they have been isolated cases, Carew, Santana, Liriano, Berenguer, Guzman, etc.

Now, with Sano, Arcia, Rosario, Pinto, Santana, Berrios, and Landa in the wings, plus current guys like Florimon, Hernandez, Escobar, Deduno, Ramirez... I can't recall a more Latin American Twins team.

About time!

James
09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Meh. I don't really care as long as there is talent on the team. It's good to see the team finding good players where ever they may come from though.

nicksaviking
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, they are finally joining the 1990's!

Seriously though, I am looking forward to these guys. Time to diversify the coaching staff and front office too.

The Greatest Poster Alive
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I believe the improved presence the twins have had in international prospect pools are a direct result of the increased revenue from the stadium.

Everybody focuses on payroll... but from the beginning the Twins were explicit in that they did not have a percentage of these new revenues going directly to payroll... they would just be improving the overall organization.

The Twins have been very active in the latin american markets and it has paid dividends. If they can pull of signing the Cuban SS Guerrero i'll be very impressed.

Vervehound
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
I believe the improved presence the twins have had in international prospect pools are a direct result of the increased revenue from the stadium.

Everybody focuses on payroll... but from the beginning the Twins were explicit in that they did not have a percentage of these new revenues going directly to payroll... they would just be improving the overall organization.

The Twins have been very active in the latin american markets and it has paid dividends. If they can pull of signing the Cuban SS Guerrero i'll be very impressed.

while our pipeline is way better than years ago, that's not saying much - with the exception of a couple of Venezuelans, we haven't had any home grown latins to speak of for decades. that's really an indictment on our system. with that said, we've made one big signing out of the d.r. (ok, maybe two with minier) and have done a so-so job since then - that's an improvement but it's not exactly glorious. maybe our standards are just really, really low....

stringer bell
09-03-2013, 11:33 PM
A little historical perspective. When the franchise was in Washington, the Twins were considered to have a Cuban pipeline and it continued after they moved west. Camilo Pascual, Pedro Ramos, Sandy Valdespino, Tony O, Zoilo Versalles, and Julio Becquer among others played for the Twins in the '60s. As far as the other Latin countries, the Twins haven't had many players. Of course, there are some exceptions--Cesar Tovar, Johan Santana etc.

It is great to see the Twins coming up with Latin players. It does also seem to make the need more urgent for a Hispanic coach or two. MLB seems to have added numerous Hispanic players, so it only figures that the Twins would also add guys from "south of the border".

USAFChief
09-03-2013, 11:37 PM

I would be impressed if they sign any of the more expensive and sought after FA Cubans, too.

But I don't think TF has much impact on the normal FA amateur signings, Latin American or otherwise. They've never spent big bucks before, and now are prevented from doing so by the CBA. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't yet spent even the ?$4M? they were allowed to spend this year.

Thrylos
09-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Carew,

Carew immigrated with his family to NYC from Panama when he was a young teen and went to high school here, so he kinda does not belong to that list because he grew up here and his cultural adjustment to pro balls was zero, unlike some of the Latin kids.

The Twins need Latin coaches as well and support for these kids. Still think that it is a shame that they were trotting around Ryo as Nishi's translator, while there was not a single Spanish speaker in the Twins' staff (other than Jerry, who was not fluent...) to help the young Latin kids like Gomez and Guzman and Rivas and Casilla. That was a mistake that I hope the Twins do not repeat. At least now they do have a single quasi-native Spanish speaker (Bobby Cuellar is a Texan Hispanic.)

Pius Jefferson
09-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Meh. I don't really care as long as there is talent on the team. It's good to see the team finding good players where ever they may come from though.

This. Give me 25 Eskimos who can win the World Series and I'll be happy.

oldguy10
09-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Many of these replies have been frivolous but the serious ones are right on, it is way past time that the Latin players are treated with much more respect than they are presently, anyone else agree or not?
We have seen Eddy Guardado give a most gracious speech at his Twins' Hall induction, to me he would be an excellent choice as pitching coach as he is fluent in two languages. Perhaps even a base coach as Cuellar is already on the team.
And I am more and more leaning towards Steinbach as the next manager instead of Molitor.

Hosken Bombo Disco
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
... they would just be improving the overall organization.

Do you believe or have evidence the overall organization is getting stronger?

Winston Smith
09-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I would much prefer a guy like Orlando Cabrera as the infield coach instead of Vavra. I would think there are a lot of guys out there that could help both the coaching staffs system wide and the front office diversify.
Not really sure you can count a guy that was born and raised in Texas as a Latin coach and being in the bullpen doesn't help communications in the dugout.

stringer bell
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Eddie G is born and raised in California.