PDA

View Full Version : Article: Minnesota Twins Will Send Seven To AFL

Seth Stohs
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
According to the Minnesota Twins, the following players are heading to the Arizona Fall League:

Byron Buxton, Alex Meyer, Trevor May, Max Kepler, Eddie Rosario, A.J. Achter, Zach Jones.

Seth Stohs
08-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Pretty impressive list!

They are using three spots for guys below the AA level (Buxton, Kepler and Jones). Achter's been terrific the last two seasons. Good for him.

I'm surprised Rosario isn't on his Puerto Rican team's reserve list, but great opportunity for him!

And, glad that both Meyer and May are going.

Strongest group of prospects the Twins have sent in a long time.

howieramone
08-27-2013, 01:47 PM
No lack of talent going to Arizona this year.

drjim
08-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Great prospects from throughout the game and stronger pitching than usual. Will be a good test.

I imagine Kepler is a backup. Will be interesting to see how May is used.

mike wants wins
08-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Kepler is a surprise, and not.....but this just about locks him on the 40 man, right?

May? isn't he close to his innings from last year? Meyer, makes sense. Great looking list to me.

Mr. Ed
08-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Kepler's elbow is the only issue/concern in this. How is it?

Will be an AZ Fall League worth following.

Achter is the only surprise. Good for him.

Also surprised on Rosario being named.

jay
08-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Wow, that's great. Do they all get placed on the same squad or split up? That'd be a fun team to watch.

Mr. Ed
08-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Wow, that's great. Do they all get placed on the same squad or split up? That'd be a fun team to watch.

All the Twins prospects are on the same team.

Nick Nelson
08-27-2013, 02:17 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2270-Minnesota-Twins-Will-Send-Seven-To-AFL

Seth Stohs
08-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Don't forget, last year Nate Roberts was a late add to the AFL roster out of the MWL last year. They'll all play.

And, Achter's been terrific, pretty much as good, if not better, than Tonkin the last two years. Very underrated.

Mr. Ed
08-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Arizona Fall League announces 2013 staff, coaching assignments | MLB.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130730&content_id=55256576&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Glendale Team

Jeff Smith, AA manager, is the team's manager

WhiteSox/Reds/Dodgers/Marlins players

Nick Nelson
08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2270-Minnesota-Twins-Will-Send-Seven-To-AFL

golfboy1
08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't forget, last year Nate Roberts was a late add to the AFL roster out of the MWL last year. They'll all play.

And, Achter's been terrific, pretty much as good, if not better, than Tonkin the last two years. Very underrated.

Yea, he's been under the radar but his stats the last 2 years are pretty impressive. I've not heard much about him. What's his stuff like?

That's the best group the Twins have sent to the AFL. I'm looking forward to seeing all of them perform

mike wants wins
08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Jeff Smith?

pab
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM
May? isn't he close to his innings from last year? Meyer, makes sense. Great looking list to me.

May threw 151 two years ago and 149 last year.

He's at 144 so far this year, and I'm guessing they'd like to extend him past 150. It means he won't be pitching for Rochester in the (potential) playoffs and won't be getting called up.

gunnarthor
08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm most optimistic about Meyer being on the team. Must mean the team isn't worrying about his shoulder as much as I am. Good to know.

Kepler's a real surprise. He hasn't been doing to well in low A so this will be quite the jump for him.

John Bonnes
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Wow, that is pretty cool. Who wants to organize a Twins Daily trip to AZ?

PseudoSABR
08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Here's the rosters (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130827&content_id=58609448&c_id=) for anyone interested in seeing who else is going.

jokin
08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Yea, he's been under the radar but his stats the last 2 years are pretty impressive. I've not heard much about him. What's his stuff like?

That's the best group the Twins have sent to the AFL. I'm looking forward to seeing all of them perform

Buxton and Kepler aren't on the verge of the majors......

Here's the rosters (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130827&content_id=58609448&c_id=) for anyone interested in seeing who else is going.

Kudos to the Twins organization for putting together such a strong group for AFL play. I guess Byron Buxton isn't as overwhelmed and exhausted from his 2013 meteoric advance through the organization's, and major league's, prospect charts as some speculated. The guy is driven to greatness and the Twins are on the same page now with Buck in that they too, expect he will force the issue of being "on the verge of the verge" of the majors for a mid-year 2014 debut.

Anyone else planning a fall trip to Arizona? I was hoping that Meyer might be healthy enough to get exempted from the restrictions that could have made him ineligible for the AFL, now we get 2 more pleasant surprises in Buxton and Rosario, plus the others.

I'm there. Heck, besides getting the chance to mingle with all the paparazzi and minor league geek-talent-analysts, there's a fighting chance that I might even make a USAF Chief sighting.

Badsmerf
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm a little surprised that Buxton is getting the nod. I can see Kepler since he missed so much time, but Buxton.... My hopes for seeing him in 2014 just went up a little.

Shane Wahl
08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
They went basically all out with this group. Meyer was a lock and Achter was definitely the leading bullpen candidate. I thought that they might want to push Kepler. After that, I didn't consider May's innings issue, I am surprised about Rosario, really surprised about Buxton, and forgot about Zach Jones as a possible inclusion until about an hour or so ago while I was going about starting my new prospect list. The Twins get two A-level players in.

ashburyjohn
08-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Anyone else planning a fall trip to Arizona? ... I'm there. Heck, besides getting the chance to mingle with all the paparazzi and minor league geek-talent-analysts, there's a fighting chance that I might even make a USAF Chief sighting.

I might give this some consideration, as well.

roger
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Rosario will have a busy off-season as I suspect he will go straight from Arizona to the Puerto Rican Winter League. Will be interesting to see where he plays in both Arizona and P.R. as that will give us a hint of what to expect next year.

Rosterman
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
We know a few will be added to the 40-man this off-season.

Probably means May won't get a September call-up.

LaBombo
08-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm there. Heck, besides getting the chance to mingle with all the paparazzi and minor league geek-talent-analysts, there's a fighting chance that I might even make a USAF Chief sighting.
Sighting? Pfffft. We're all staying with him. He just doesn't know it yet.

Dibs on the Barcalounger at bedtime!

ashburyjohn
08-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I call shotgun in his limo between Tucson and Phoenix.

diehardtwinsfan
08-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I missed the part where adding Buxton to the AFL means he's going to be in MN next year. Nice to see them picking him to play, and I suspect he starts in NB, but I'm guessing he's not in MN until 2015 after Willingham leaves.

tjsyam921
08-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Just wondering.....Do they ask the players if they want to play? Just interested as Buxton has played a lot more games this year than in any previous years.

gunnarthor
08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I missed the part where adding Buxton to the AFL means he's going to be in MN next year. Nice to see them picking him to play, and I suspect he starts in NB, but I'm guessing he's not in MN until 2015 after Willingham leaves.

Could be. But the Twins haven't been afraid of promoting from AA to the majors. If the Twins are bad next year and Willingham is solid, I think they move him at the deadline freeing up a spot in the OF. Could go to Buxton.

USAFChief
08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Sighting? Pfffft. We're all staying with him. He just doesn't know it yet.

Dibs on the Barcalounger at bedtime!
You're all welcome, but you should know a couple things:

1. No one, and I mean NO one, gets the barcalounger. This is non negotiable. It's not even a barcalounger. That's so 70s. Its an ekornes stressless, full leather. Sweet.

2. I will not be providing the beer, but I could be talked into smoking some ribs and/or a brisket.

3. It's about a 2 hr trip to the ballparks in Phoenix, so have some jokes ready for the trip up. I'll be napping on the trip home.

4. Mrs Chief requests you respect the fact she needs her sleep.

ChiTownTwinsFan
08-27-2013, 08:52 PM
You're all welcome, but you should know a couple things:

1. No one, and I mean NO one, gets the barcalounger. This is non negotiable. It's not even a barcalounger. That's so 70s. Its an ekornes stressless, full leather. Sweet.

2. I will not be providing the beer, but I could be talked into smoking some ribs and/or a brisket.

3. It's about a 2 hr trip to the ballparks in Phoenix, so have some jokes ready for the trip up. I'll be napping on the trip home.

4. Mrs Chief requests you respect the fact she needs her sleep.

Would Mrs. Chief be interested in going shopping with me?

LaBombo
08-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Just wondering.....Do they ask the players if they want to play? Just interested as Buxton has played a lot more games this year than in any previous years.
Great question. And how do players, in general, react to being assigned to the AFL? How does it affect their lives?

sorney
08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Great question. And how do players, in general, react to being assigned to the AFL? How does it affect their lives?

Im guessing since their dream is to play in the Majors, and the AFL is supposed to be for high level prospects, they jump at the chance and don't have to be asked if they want to

Seth Stohs
08-27-2013, 10:45 PM

It's an invite after rosters are determined, but no one would say no. It's a huge opportunity. They get treated like big leaguers. They play in front of scouts from every organization.

h2oface
08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
It is too bad that the boys couldn't get a different manager other than Jeff Smith.

orangevening
08-28-2013, 08:12 AM
It is too bad that the boys couldn't get a different manager other than Jeff Smith.
Mr. Smith has quickly become the 2nd least liked manager in the Twins system. Is he really as hard-nosed and by the book as he sounds?

scottsilvi
08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Hmm. Long time lurker, fringe stat geek guy. Been planning a trip to the SW... Feenix is starting to look like a good idea.

jimbo92107
08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm a little surprised that Buxton is getting the nod. I can see Kepler since he missed so much time, but Buxton.... My hopes for seeing him in 2014 just went up a little.

I read earlier that Buxton's a workout freeek. The extra load of baseball probably doesn't wear him down as much as other guys.

mnfanforlife
08-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Why is Sano not going to the AFL?

Steve Lein
08-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Why is Sano not going to the AFL?

His Dominican Winter League team won't let him. He would have to get a special waiver to play fall/winter ball stateside and is too big of a draw for his team there for them to do it (and they picked him Round 1, Pick 1 last year).

Steve Lein
08-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Also of note: Max Kepler is on the roster as a 1B-man and he has played nearly as many games there as he has in the OF for Cedar Rapids. Wonder how soon they'll make this position change fully.

amjgt
08-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Also of note: Max Kepler is on the roster as a 1B-man and he has played nearly as many games there as he has in the OF for Cedar Rapids. Wonder how soon they'll make this position change fully.
The only other 1B on the roster seems like a nothing prospect to me (sub 700 OPS if I remember correctly). I suspect, given that he's at Low A and the Twins used their "foreign player without a foreign league" exemption to get him on the team, he will not see the field more than 3 times a week.

mike wants wins
08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Funny, when someone suggested Kepler move to 1B, that person was mocked.....

Steve Lein
08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Funny, when someone suggested Kepler move to 1B, that person was mocked.....

I would have mocked them 2 years ago, but he's grown into his body considerably since then and 1B is actually his "natural" position, in that it's the position he played before he was signed.

From Sickels back in June, referencing Kepler:

"There is a chance he will wind up at first base if he loses too much speed, but that's down the line. He remains a good overall athlete and would likely develop into a sharp defender at first base if he does move there."

diehardtwinsfan
08-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Mr. Smith has quickly become the 2nd least liked manager in the Twins system. Is he really as hard-nosed and by the book as he sounds?

Not to state the obvious here, but the only Jeff Smith hate I've seen is people saying (without providing any links) that he's not well liked in NB. I don't know anything about the guy to decide whether I like him or not, but I've seen very little concrete anything that indicates he should be on his way out. Just my 2 cents.

TRex
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
The only other 1B on the roster seems like a nothing prospect to me (sub 700 OPS if I remember correctly). I suspect, given that he's at Low A and the Twins used their "foreign player without a foreign league" exemption to get him on the team, he will not see the field more than 3 times a week.

Ummm, Kepler's mom was born in San Antonio, so I am pretty sure that (despite being born in Berlin) he is an American citizen... isn't he?

mike wants wins
08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Ummm, Kepler's mom was born in San Antonio, so I am pretty sure that (despite being born in Berlin) he is an American citizen... isn't he?

dual citizenship....

Siehbiscuit
08-28-2013, 04:08 PM
I am thinking that Kepler is going to compete in the AFL even if it does seem too soon based on his development. The Twins will likely need to protect him on the major league 40 man roster this off-season.

kab21
08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
I am thinking that Kepler is going to compete in the AFL even if it does seem too soon based on his development. The Twins will likely need to protect him on the major league 40 man roster this off-season.

One more year I think.

Kepler shouldn't move to first permanently anytime soon but splitting time between 1B and the OF is a good plan. Why? Because the team is loaded with OF'ers so his path to the majors could be at 1B and transitioning from OF to IF is not an easy one.

Oxtung
08-28-2013, 09:34 PM
One more year I think.

Kepler shouldn't move to first permanently anytime soon but splitting time between 1B and the OF is a good plan. Why? Because the team is loaded with OF'ers so his path to the majors could be at 1B and transitioning from OF to IF is not an easy one.

Kepler is eligible for the rule 5 draft this off season (you could have been arguing the Twins don't need to protect him this year though, it wasn't real clear).

I wonder if his 1st base status isn't related to his shoulder as well. It's possible that it is still affecting his throwing or that they are being cautious with it. Playing 1B would certain help protect it. Cedar Rapids didn't have a 1B on the roster after Hicks was promoted so it was easy to slot Kepler in there. It wouldn't surprise me if next season he is back taking the majority of his reps at OF.

Einstein
08-28-2013, 09:52 PM
This is great, I live in Scottsdale, I can't wait to see these guys!

cmb0252
08-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Two interesting notes from KLaw's chast about the AFL I didn't know. First on who/how the players were picked:

"The teams do. The league sends rough positional requirements - e.g., you need to send three pitchers, at least one of whom is a starter, a catcher, and an infielder among your seven names - and the teams pick. Each team can send one player who hasn't reached AA yet. They don't have to be serious prospects; teams often send org players to fill out rosters, or guys who are on the rule 5/40-man bubble."

Second the question was brought up about if they only let 1 prospect per team from AA or lower go how did the Twins send Buxton, Kepler, and Jones. Apparently you can send more than 1 if the league OKs it. Had no idea. Learn something new every day!

rickyriolo
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
i think i will have to travel over to AZ to watch some "real baseball". I can't watch the big club any more it is way too frustrating & i am drinking way too much beer. October 8th-November 16th is what it looks like..

rickyriolo
08-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Plus tickets are only $7.00 per game, general admission and sit any where you want

diehardtwinsfan
08-30-2013, 06:39 AM
i think i will have to travel over to AZ to watch some "real baseball". I can't watch the big club any more it is way too frustrating & i am drinking way too much beer. October 8th-November 16th is what it looks like..

frustrating yes, but it's not like these prospects would come up and dominate. They are raw. You will see flashes of promise (hopefully lots of them) and see them fail in ways pros don't fail...

Does make me wish I was near AZ though.

ashburyjohn
09-04-2013, 11:32 AM

While John's comment may have been partly tongue-in-cheek, I have set up a kind of "clearinghouse" in my blog at:

Road Trip for Arizona Fall League? - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/ashburyjohn/4372-road-trip-arizona-fall-league.html)

If you have some interest in going, even if it's 1% at this point, add a comment so that we can keep track and compare notes closer to the start of the games.

Steve Lein
09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Just an FYI - First Base is the position Kepler played his entire life until he enrolled in a baseball academy, it's not something that's completely new to him.

Seth Stohs
09-04-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd keep him in the outfield as long as he can. When I talked to Jake Mauer about him, he says he's such a good athlete, but will likely get too big for the outfield. At that point, he can move to 1B. He's playing there enough that it won't just be foreign to him completely. Definitely too early to move him there full time. Mauer said he would likely eat himself to 1B. He's a big kid. Long, and pretty lean, but he's going to grow.