PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Minor League Report for 8/24: The Return of Alex Meyer

Seth Stohs
08-24-2013, 11:48 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2259-Twins-Minor-League-Report-for-8-24-The-Return-of-Alex-Meyer

LewFordLives
08-25-2013, 07:49 AM
I was at the Rock Cats game in Bowie last night. Meyer looked like he could've gone a couple more innings (must've been on a pitch count). He did get helped out by a couple double plays and it seemed he had too many deep counts in the first couple innings, but overall he was very impressive. If he can stay healthy the sky's the limit. His stuff is nasty. His five strikeouts came in the span of six batters.

Pitz
08-25-2013, 07:59 AM
I asked/defended this in the August 24 thread, but is there any chance that Lewis Thorpe skips E'town and goes to Cedar Rapids next year. I was thinking maybe he starts in extended spring training, then heads to CR similar to what Berrios did this year. I realize he's young, but his GCL numbers are ridiculous (far better than Jorge, Rosario, Landa, Hua Lo of last year).

I'm also wondering if there are any recent reports on his stuff.

Chance
08-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Thorpe doesn't appear to need anymore time in the GCL. Really, there is no reason to move him to E-Town this late in the year. I hope they give him the challenge of pitching at CR to start next season (or after time in EST). His age is no reason to hold him back when he seems far and beyond the talent level at the rookie league.

markos
08-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I was at the New Britain game last night as well. I wrote up my thoughts about Meyer, Sano and Rosario here: Meyer, Sano and Rosario - Twinkie Town (http://www.twinkietown.com/2013/8/25/4656414/meyer-sano-and-rosario)

I'll try to upload some video/pics later, though don't hold your breath. I forgot to adjust the settings on my camera, and the video is rather terrible quality.

CharacterGroove
08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
I was at the New Britain game last night as well. I wrote up my thoughts about Meyer, Sano and Rosario here: Meyer, Sano and Rosario - Twinkie Town (http://www.twinkietown.com/2013/8/25/4656414/meyer-sano-and-rosario)

I'll try to upload some video/pics later, though don't hold your breath. I forgot to adjust the settings on my camera, and the video is rather terrible quality.

Thanks the write-up, good stuff.

markos
08-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Videos are here:

Rosario bunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5bZ000qv4

Sano double.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZknRDUlwJo

Meyer strikeout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjOw06wyLfQ

Again, sorry for the terrible quality.

Seth Stohs
08-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks markos and LewFordLives for the in-person reports. Those are always great.

As for Lewis Thorpe, he's exciting, but let's not forget that the talent level in the GCL is far, far lower than the Midwest League. I think he's a guy that they will start in EST, and if there is a need at Cedar Rapids for another starter, he'll be considered.

Pitz
08-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the input Seth. I understand that it is a pretty big jump from GCL to MWL, but how much of a difference is there between GCL and Appy?
To me, it doesn't seem like a huge difference, but I only really started paying attention last year. It seems like the more notable pitching prospects have little/no trouble transitioning from GCL to the Appy league. So it seems like the Appy league would not be much of a challenge for Thorpe. He'd probably mostly be facing the same types of guys he's faced this year with more draft picks from next year. That just doesn't sound like much of a challenge for him with how he has handled the GCL.
The MWL would be a challenge for him, but I think it would be a good challenge. However, part of that depends on where his pitches are at. His numbers tell us that he's been pretty much dominating, but how is he dominating? If he's simply just overwhelming hitters with his fastball, then he may not be ready for the MWL. But if he's got at least two solid pitches, then I think he could at the very least hold his own.

Seth Stohs
08-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Pitz, you ask a couple of very good questions...

First, regarding GCL vs Appy League. I just have to consider who is playing there. The Twins send their high school draft picks and low-round draft picks and 17 year olds coming from international countries. The Appy League is guys that have gone through the GCL and top college picks, just getting a taste of pro ball. That's pretty big.

Regarding Lewis Thorpe, I can't pretend to know how well he would do in the MWL. He might be OK. I'm told he has three pitches, but I don't know how good or non-good they are right now. I know he's doing very well against GCL hitters. I don't know how well he would do in the Appy League, though we would want him to keep starting, and E-Town already has Gonsalves, Stewart, Robb, Rosario, Landa and Jorge in their rotation.

How would Thorpe do in the MWL? Could he hold his own? I don't know. Not sure the value of sending him there (or ET, or wherever) to get beaten up.

Pitz
08-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks again for the feedback Seth. I understand that there may be reasons to have Thorpe pitch in E'town next year. My main hope is just that his age is not the reason. Thats why I was wondering about his stuff. I haven't seen anything recent about how his pitches look. I know his stats only tell part of the story.
I'll trust that the Twins will do what is right for him. With their reputation for being very conservative, sometimes I just want to see them being a little more aggressive. But I also don't want to see any of their prospects in over their heads.
I kind of figure he won't be promoted to E'town this year and was just wondering if there was any precedent for skipping the Appy league or how necessary it would be for Thorpe to spend time at that level.
Thanks again for your input. It would be great if somebody could get a question to one of the national writers in a chat or something to see if they have any info about how Thorpe's pitches are developing.

Pitz
08-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Just saw on his twitter page that he made his last start for the GCL and is headed to Taiwan to pitch for Australia in the ibaf World Cup.
That may have something to do with why he was never promoted to E'town this year.

idowhatiwant
08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Just saw on his twitter page that he made his last start for the GCL and is headed to Taiwan to pitch for Australia in the ibaf World Cup. That may have something to do with why he was never promoted to E'town this year. That he's hitting a 100 on the radar is what I like to see. Earlier in the year he was topping out at 94 and I was beginning to worry that he'd already seen a permanent loss in velocity.