PDA

View Full Version : Article: Would A Johan Santana Reunion Make Sense?

Cody Christie
08-20-2013, 10:58 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2249-Would-a-Johan-Santana-reunion-make-sense

Otwins
08-21-2013, 12:29 AM
I would love to see it but think it is unlikely. He probably wants to pitch for a contender although there is not one where he would be assured of a roster spot. The only way I see it is if he thinks that that the Twins will leave him in the rotation even after a couple rough starts (like pelfrey)and not have to be ready by opening day(like harden). The Twins do know how to use him and took much better care of Santana than the Mets.

iastfan112
08-21-2013, 02:15 AM
I'd be fine with him returning but I'm pretty skeptical he'll successfully come back, the track record for this surgery is short and bad and he's had to have it done twice.

cmathewson
08-21-2013, 07:09 AM
No pitcher has ever recovered from two of these on the same shoulder.

Blackjack
08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
No. I loved listening to the Twins when Johan pitched, I don't want to listen as a shell of the old Johan struggles, I want to remember him as he was.

SD Buhr
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I dunno, I would think it might be more likely than some other options. I don't think he burned any bridges with the FO when he left, though he certainly limited their options in terms of who he'd accept a trade to. But that's just business. He had leverage and used it.

Last I knew, he still had his home in Fort Myers, making the Twins, Red Sox and maybe the Rays as teams he might lean toward going to spring training with. Of those teams, the Twins would seem to have more room for a reclamation project in their 2014 rotation. It would need to be on an incentive-heavy contract, perhaps with an agreement to allow Santana to walk away if he's not on the active roster by June.

If he did make the roster, his name would generate some buzz and sell a few tickets/jerseys.

Certainly wouldn't be the worst move either side could make this winter.

SpitefulRabbit617
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Bring him Back. Based on the majority of seasons since he left, its not like we can do any worse.

Nick Nelson
08-21-2013, 10:12 AM
No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.

I think you are probably right that you can stick a fork in him--Johan is done--I figure a 90% chance of that. But resign him on the 10% chance he isn't done.

Rosterman
08-21-2013, 10:23 AM
The Twins can afford to give him a decent contract for little results. Putting him on the field for just a game or two will sell tickets (which is important to the team). You will sell Jerseys. Maybe he will shine. He can't be any worse than any number of other folks out there. I don't really see anyone else risking a 40-man sot on him or a guaranteed rotation spot. The Twins have that luxury. A Santana signing in January would generate quite a few season ticket sales. Even if he doesn't ever pitch for the team during the season, the p.r. value might be worth it alone. Heck, Blackburn got paid $5 million to throw a dozen minor league innings this year!

ashburyjohn
08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Old saying applies here: It is not possible to step in the same river twice. I am beyond apathetic about the idea. He's no longer Johan Santana and these are not the same Twins and I don't see the point.

cmathewson
08-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Harden and Perez are cautionary, and they had the surgery once. Twice is twice too many. The surgery is for helping you comb your hair without pain. It's not for getting you back on the mound. If you know he's toast, why do anything to bring him back, unless it's just so he can retire a Twin.

SpitefulRabbit617
08-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Tony O and Johan team up for spanish language twins broadcast! BOOM!

Jdosen
08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
The child in me that remembers Johan as the best pitcher on the planet for 4 years wants this to happen in the worst way. I wouldn't miss a Santana start. But, those days are gone.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
1 year, 1 mil contract with 5 mil in incentives.

JeffB
08-21-2013, 01:48 PM
We all know that if the Twins bring him back, he'll fizzle and we'll be disappointed. If he signs elsewhere, he'll do great and we'll be disappointed. Sigh. :banghead:

PopRiveter
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
Heck, get the band back together!

Mr. Brooks
08-21-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't think you throw your money away by giving him any guaranteed money. It's a long shot that he'll ever pitch in the big leagues again. If you really wan't to take a chance, do a minor league deal with an opt out date, a la Harden.

drjim
08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
Heck, get the band back together!

Baker is a decent possibility. I would be on board if they sign at least one established guy.

LaBombo
08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Even if the odds are closer to one in a hundred than one in ten, can a team with the worst rotation in baseball really afford to rule much of anything out? At this point they're just looking for guys who can get the ball from the mound to home plate.

Rick Blaine
08-21-2013, 05:10 PM
If he could pitch like he did in 2012 he'd be our best starter.

darin617
08-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Would A Johan Santana Reunion Make Sense? (http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twins-talk/8493-article-would-johan-santana-reunion-make-sense.html)Maybe he has learned to throw right handed...

Tpups21
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Would definitely be interested in a Johan reunion on an incentive-laden deal.

rickyriolo
08-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Can we just sign a free agent pitcher who hasn't blown out his shoulder?? stop with the dumpster diving please

cmathewson
08-21-2013, 07:01 PM

$1 million wasted.

Rick Blaine
08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
$1 million wasted.

What's a million bucks amongst friends:)

snepp
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
$1 million wasted.

Seriously impacting their ability to acquire the next Tim Wood.

:D

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Seriously impacting their ability to acquire the next Tim Wood.

:D

It's a lottery ticket. I don't see the harm in offering him a 1 mil deal with incentives if there is even a 50% chance he will be able to pitch.

LaBombo
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
What's a million bucks amongst friends:)
4.5 million less than what they wasted on the second year of Correia's contract?

Mr. Brooks
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
It's a lottery ticket. I don't see the harm in offering him a 1 mil deal with incentives if there is even a 50% chance he will be able to pitch.
That lottery ticket has even more value if you don't have to pay a million bucks for it.
I doubt any team in baseball is going to give him a guaranteed contract next year. A Harden type deal (minor league contract w/ an opt out date) seems more likely to me.