Michael Young 3B
Nelson Cruz RF
Daniel Murphy LF
Mike Napoli C
Brandon Snyder 1B

SP: Yu Darvish

Klew721
04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I will be at the game today. Hopefully they can attack Darvish!!

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Who is Brandon Snyder (batting 9th for the Rangers) ? Is he a masher or a defense first kind of guy?

J-Dog Dungan
04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Snyder isn't a power kind of guy; he has been in the bigs since 2010 and hasn't hit a homerun yet. Also, in 15 games in the field, he has made 3 errors for a .968 fielding percentage

J-Dog Dungan
04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I am also wondering if (or when) Gardy will think about switching Willingham with Morneau, as Willingham has proven that he can mash homeruns in TF, but Morneau really hasn't yet. This would mirror the Yankees moving A-Rod to 3rd so that late-inning lefties would have a tough time getting through the lineup.

John Bonnes
04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
This is the 3rd time Gardy has used taht Opening Day lineup this season. I don't think he was able to use the Opening Day lineup last season even a second time.

stringer bell
04-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I am also wondering if (or when) Gardy will think about switching Willingham with Morneau, as Willingham has proven that he can mash homeruns in TF, but Morneau really hasn't yet. This would mirror the Yankees moving A-Rod to 3rd so that late-inning lefties would have a tough time getting through the lineup.

Give it another week. If Willingham is still mashing, it would make perfect sense. Mauer and Morneau ARE weaker against lefthanders. In their MVP years it didn't seem to matter which hand the pitcher threw with, but in every other year, there is noticeably less pop facing southpaws. Breaking up the two lefty hitters and perhaps letting J-Will see more lefties would be an advantage.

I checked M & M's stats. Mauer showed little preference in '06, '08 and '09 (batting championship years), but in other years his splits are more pronounced. Morneau was very good vs. lefties in '06, pretty good in '09 and very good in '10--his three best years. More pronounced splits in the other years.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Good top of one

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 12:35 PM
The bats need to wake up here and not let this guy get in a groove.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Tied after 2... Just like a new ball game now.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Josh kinda got a hold of that one.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Until Hamilton's blast....

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
The Twins had their chance last inning, and Jamey Carroll did not come through...

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Lol... Hopefully it isn't the only chance.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Here's the meat...what can they do?

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 12:59 PM
How can a man as big as Mauer hit so many balls that don't make it out of the infield?

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
His swing just isn't built that way. He has HR power he doesn't have the HR swing

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Why do you think that they picked up Clete Thomas?

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Open 40 man roster spot and Terry Ryan must have a gut feeling about him.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm ok with just dont see the need. We need the defense in OF but unless Thomas unseats Doumit it won't matter because we have Revere. Ben will probably be sent to AAA now.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Doumit has four singles on the year. I really thought he'd be a good hitter for us, and perhaps he will be....he looks a little lost in RF. Ben plays the OF with authority, but his hitting certainly needs improving. I am still confused as to the reasoning about Clete Thomas, but like you said, maybe TR knows something we don't.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Rochester could use OF help right now. Doumit will catch the ball hit around him. It's the ball that are a little further away that worry me. His hitting will be passable. Might even get a key big one from time to time. Clete Thomas will go get it for that defensive guy role.

Others will argue with me but I like Bens bat. I certainly like it better then Clete. Ben makes good contact and he can leg things out like very few can. Those that argue with me are the ones who like extra base hits. BTW... Ben can get some XBH but he just hasn't yet. Except for homers that is. All in all I'm a put the ball in play guy. I don't like the high strikeout guys.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Carroll needs to move Span over....

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
C'mon Mauer... Cash those in... You are cashing in.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I thought Ben was really exciting when he came up. Love his speed. Reminded me of Torii. Got sick of people always ragging about his arm strength. I guess I'm more "what have you done for me lately"? Lately, he doesn't seem to have much going offensively. Granted he doesn't have a lot of at bats...maybe it makes sense to send him down to get those AB's.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
They won't give Josh anything to drive...unless he makes a mistake.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
For sure... Players will ebb and flow throughout the season. Except for Willingham... Everybody is ebbing this year. Ben is too young and has to much talent to wait for his turn to play. Rochester makes sense.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Here is Doumit's chance for a key hit....

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Well... On to the next inning

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Too many guys left on base. I was at the slugfest Thurs. and they left TONS of guys on that day too.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
It just isn't clicking yet. Mauer has got to cash those chances in. He's in the 3 hole. That's what a 3 hitter does. That's what a guy who makes 23 million does. When the offense is scrapping like ours. Every chance like that is gold. One 3 run shot against the Angels does not mean he's the Mauer we are paying.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
The voodoo dolls are still getting impaled. Blackburn? My god do we need some arm depth.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I love Joe, but he is not living up to the 23 mil that they are paying him. Too many infield groundouts and double plays...he couldn't even hit a sac fly in this game. I get frustrated with him. I keep waiting for him to bust out and show us the .350 hitter that he was.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Hopefully that will come and he will get real hot for a nice long stretch. He can do that. But for now... All he had to do was produce a grounder. Anything but a strikeout or pop up.

chavez
04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Hopefully Blackburn is ok - Duensing might make the rotation yet...............................

silverslugger
04-14-2012, 02:01 PM
What happened to Blackburn? Game's not on FSN today so tuned in here to see what was happening. Clete Thomas? The only positive I see here is if it means Revere is back in Rochester learning his craft.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Blackie threw a pitch. Trainer came out immediately and they walked off together.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Twins are on FOX. They haven't said what's wrong with Blackburn. Announcers speculating his back.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Parmelee not advancing the runner. C'mon now. Left handed and he grounds to 3B. C mon.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Span is our Mauer... lol.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
They announced that Blackburn's shoulder stiffened up and he's day to day. Mr. Mauer NEEDs to earn his money here....

silverslugger
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Cubs/Cards here in DSM, IA

BTW, I hate MLB's blackout rules. Here in Iowa all six of the midwest teams are blacked out most of the time. I'm surprised Cubs/Cards is on as it would usually be NYY/Angels today here in Iowa. It's a travesty, but don't get me started.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Span has been on fire.

twinzgrl
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Cubs/Cards here in DSM, IA

BTW, I hate MLB's blackout rules. Here in Iowa all six of the midwest teams are blacked out most of the time. I'm surprised Cubs/Cards is on as it would usually be NYY/Angels today here in Iowa. It's a travesty, but don't get me started.
You need the MLB channel.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I know... Every team wants a piece of Iowa. The blackout rules are upsurd. The way Iowa is carved up... I wouldnt be surprised if the Padres and Marlins we're blacked out.

Alex
04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Didn't understand pinch hitting for Carrol in the first place and doubly so now.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Does Nathan or the Twins Hitters have any advantage by seeing each other for so long? Nathan seems to be relying on the fastball to get ahead and then going to the slider . . .

Harrison Greeley III
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh hello Joe Nathan's 95 MPH Fastball. It's funny meeting like this after all this time.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-14-2012, 03:35 PM
tough break for Duensing to get a loss in this one - Jeff Gray is the luckiest Twin so far this year.

stringer bell
04-14-2012, 04:14 PM
A discouraging day for the Twins. They had oodles of chances to score and failed repeatedly, Blackburn leaves with an injury and the bullpen, including Perkins, doesn't look good. Gray couldn't hold off the Rangers in the seventh--I don't know if he has enough stuff to stay in the majors.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Blown Chances to Score. (shakes head and lowers it).

one_eyed_jack
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Lots of wasted opportunities in this one. Ugh.

And while I've been a big supporter and defender of Mauer, and I know it's early, the fact that he's had only 1 productive game in the first 8 is bit troubling.

He needs to show up more than once a week if this team is going to have any measure of success this year.

Squirt
04-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Sometimes I feel when Mauer or Morneau come up to bat, needing a just a hit or quality at bat, like advancing the runner. I don't have much Confidence. Sure they did hit a homerun a couple games ago. But they just are not consistent.

Riverbrian
04-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Games are won and lost this way. Everybody fails from time to time but the bottom line is... Games are won and lost this way. Driving home Span with a Ground ball to 2b changes the game. 1 run can and does make the difference especially with the slim margin of error of this 25 man roster.

Mauer is not Mauer yet... Hopefully he gets there soon.

These are mistakes that rookies make. Not making these types of mistakes is why Managers and GM's prefer Veterens. Mauer is a well paid Veteran. This is the type of stuff that Gardy will rake someone like Casilla over the coals for. If it happens once... OK... but Mauer is making it an early season habit and it is making the job of the entire team harder especially when you consider that the total of the team is hitting poorly. These chances to score are more important in consideration. Mauer is paid 23 million to come through more often then he doesn't in these types of situations. A ground ball would have gotten the job done.

I'm ranting... It's early yet and I know there is no gaurentee the Twins win any of the ballgames if Mauer comes through each time. It's just that games are won and lost this way.

I just hate holes being dug with these types of shovels especially when you know that Mauer is the best ladder we have to get out of the hole.

Get Hot Mauer and get hot soon so I can quit typing with this attitude. Go Twins!!!

CDog
04-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Sometimes I feel when Mauer or Morneau come up to bat, needing a just a hit or quality at bat, like advancing the runner. I don't have much Confidence. Sure they did hit a homerun a couple games ago. But they just are not consistent.

Does it feel like they fail almost twice as often as they succeed? Inconsitent like that?