PDA

View Full Version : Article: Friday Night Lights

Seth Stohs
04-13-2012, 09:55 PM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?432-Friday-Night-Lights

stringer bell
04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
So the minor league teams finished 2-2?

Seth Stohs
04-13-2012, 11:49 PM
That is correct. I edited. I had one of the scores flip-flopped. Thank you!

Shane Wahl
04-14-2012, 12:56 AM
It is good to see Herrmann, Morales, and Hermsen doing well. Gutierrez is an issue. Something has really gone wrong there.

Han Joelo
04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Hopefully not bad news for Gutierrez. He's one of the guys I think of when people are constantly claiming the Twins only draft soft-tossing control guys. Shooter Hunt was another.

Tyler Robertson almost deserved pitcher of the day for getting out of that jam.

Any word on why Arcia has been out of the lineup lately?

Not a good defensive day for the Beloit infield...

Seth Stohs
04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, so many people think that taking college pitchers means that they get to the big leagues quicker... and of course that is generally true. Hunt obviously had the extreme control problems. Gutierrez has his own control problems and his inability to develop a second pitch has made that worse.

Arcia was bothered by a leg injury in spring training. It's flared up again. He came out of the game a few nights ago in the 12th inning. He's only expected to miss a few games, but it's been 2 more.

John Bonnes
04-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Where do you think DeVries ranks right now if the Twins need to call up another starting pitcher, compared to the other arms in Rochester? Ryan hasn't been as hesitant as Smith to add folks to the 40 man roster if he thought they could help....

TKGuy
04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
It's good to see the minor league teams being competitive again. I think Smith really neglected the minors. As I can see already, the signing of Willingham was perfect for this ballpark. While I was sad to see Cuddy go, Terry Ryan made the right move. I feel much better about the future with Terry Ryan in charge.

roger
04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
It is good to see Herrmann, Morales, and Hermsen doing well. Gutierrez is an issue. Something has really gone wrong there.

I watched last night's game when Gutierrez was laboring, very wild. Later in the inning, the trainer came out and removed him. It has been reported this morning that it is some type of shoulder injury. No wonder he didn't look good if he was dealing with that.

Seth Stohs
04-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Where do you think DeVries ranks right now if the Twins need to call up another starting pitcher, compared to the other arms in Rochester? Ryan hasn't been as hesitant as Smith to add folks to the 40 man roster if he thought they could help....

DeVries put up numbers pretty similar to Terry Doyle in the AFL last fall. He would certainly be behind Diamond and Walters at this point, but probably third.

SP Order: 1-4 (Pavano, Liriano, Blackburn, Marquis), 5-6 (Hendriks, Swarzak), 7 - Diamond, 8 - Walters, 9 - DeVries?

2wins87
04-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Got to attend my first Red Wings game of the year last night. I missed Dozier's double in the first inning, and honestly I was paying more attention to conversation than the game for a lot of it. But I did notice Benson put an incredibly smooth swing on the ball when he got his single, but he also looked badly fooled by a couple change-ups and swung through a few more breaking balls. Hollimon's homer was a laser into the right-field bullpen.

Gutierrez had nothing resembling control. He bounced one two feet in front of the plate, threw a couple others at around eye level, and hit a batter with a slider before serving one up in the middle of the plate for a three-run shot. Maybe his shoulder was the cause of his wildness, but he's never had good control and last night was ugly. I'm not all that optimistic, but hopefully he manages to find that control that's been eluding him through his entire career.