PDA

View Full Version : Article: With departure of Carroll, Twins lose professional defender

Parker Hageman
08-12-2013, 10:18 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2219-Jamey-Carroll-talks-defense

Oldgoat_MN
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I wonder how much he talked to/taught those young infielders. Do some coaches encourage a journeyman like Carroll to chime in while others consider it getting in their way?
You heard a lot about Thome talking to the other Twins hitters about hitting, but everyone talks about batting. We talk about it here and most of us haven't swung a bat in years.

Oh, well. Wish him all the best. In fact, I now hope the Royals catch a wild card spot.

Thank you Parker. That was a nice article.

Rosterman
08-12-2013, 11:54 AM
The best thing that a veteran player does is go out and do fielding practice, run with the guys, shag balls, and show that everyone is a member of the team. If there is actual instruction given, I would assume that Carroll would mention it to the proper coach and they would pass on the word, and it would be the coach that would tell the player...hey, go see Jamey and let him work with you a bit. A player can be free to share their own experience with a pitcher and how they handle their onfield duties, but the actual coaching is usually from the coaches mouth. Carroll was a plus to have on the team (like a veteran arm in the bullpen) as their work ethic usually helps the overall attitude of a club.

stringer bell
08-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I have noticed that Carroll's arm is much, much less than it was even last year. He is still a good defender because of the reasons mentioned in this article, but he really isn't more than a stopgap shortstop. Again, he has made the absolute most of his limited (and now diminishing) tools.

Seth Stohs
08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Fun with context... "When I asked him about if he ever looked up those numbers, he shot me..."

I don't know why I find that amusing.

Seth Stohs
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I wonder how much he talked to/taught those young infielders. Do some coaches encourage a journeyman like Carroll to chime in while others consider it getting in their way?

As early as last spring, Brian Dozier talked about how helpful Jamey Carroll was to him. That sentiment was echoed when we chatted at Twins Fest. Finally, Dozier tweeted last night, wishing Carroll well and calling him 'the best mentor he's ever had in baseball.'

jimbo92107
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
If there's any way to do it, the Twins should beg Jaime Carroll to be a roving infield coach for their whole minor league system. Pay for that knowledge, and it will pay off with great defense.

Halsey Hall
08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
As early as last spring, Brian Dozier talked about how helpful Jamey Carroll was to him. That sentiment was echoed when we chatted at Twins Fest. Finally, Dozier tweeted last night, wishing Carroll well and calling him 'the best mentor he's ever had in baseball.'

I'm not a bit surprised. That seems like Jamie, and I'm sure he helped the others too. He was a positive influence on all the infielders, even if all they did was just watch. Also with the bat, as it was clear what he was trying to do in situations, even if not successful. All these guys should be better players down the road just having played with and watched Mr Carroll.

nicksaviking
08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
I have noticed that Carroll's arm is much, much less than it was even last year. He is still a good defender because of the reasons mentioned in this article, but he really isn't more than a stopgap shortstop. Again, he has made the absolute most of his limited (and now diminishing) tools.

You wouldn't be saying that if his fastball had touched 80 MPH. Alas, it didn't.

ThePuck
08-12-2013, 02:51 PM
You wouldn't be saying that if his fastball had touched 80 MPH. Alas, it didn't.

His arm seemed pretty decent throwing behind the bag in foul territory this weekend...

Thrylos
08-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Another little anecdote about Carroll from his first Spring Training with the Twins: Once in a while when the team is traveling some veterans stay back and play with the minor league teams. A couple years ago in such an occasion Carroll and Nishioka were on the same AAA team in a scrimmage against the AA team on one of the side fields (Casilla was with the double A team if that matters.) Carroll and Nishioka were the double play combination. After each inning they were sitting next to each other on the bench and Carroll was explaining positioning and footwork to Nishioka. He did this for the duration of the game and when they came out and when the AA team was fielding, Carroll was pointing things out to him continuously. And we are talking about 2 guys who (on paper) were fighting for the same job.

Total class act, I hope he comes back as a coach...

tjsyam921
08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Really enjoyed watching Carroll play. Glad he was with the Twins as long as he was.

deanlambrecht
08-14-2013, 12:06 AM
total class act, i hope he comes back as a coach...

qft!

70charger
08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Another little anecdote about Carroll from his first Spring Training with the Twins: Once in a while when the team is traveling some veterans stay back and play with the minor league teams. A couple years ago in such an occasion Carroll and Nishioka were on the same AAA team in a scrimmage against the AA team on one of the side fields (Casilla was with the double A team if that matters.) Carroll and Nishioka were the double play combination. After each inning they were sitting next to each other on the bench and Carroll was explaining positioning and footwork to Nishioka. He did this for the duration of the game and when they came out and when the AA team was fielding, Carroll was pointing things out to him continuously. And we are talking about 2 guys who (on paper) were fighting for the same job.

Total class act, I hope he comes back as a coach...

Nishioka nodded along the whole time, so Jamey kept coaching him. Turns out he didn't speak English.