PDA

View Full Version : Article: Trending in the Right Direction

Seth Stohs
08-06-2013, 12:32 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2189-Trending-in-the-Right-Direction

old nurse
08-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Dozier is improving. Deduno has shown improvement over last year. One could make an argument for Florimon is improving. I wish the list from people who started some games last year for the Twins and have shown improvement this year was larger.

glunn
08-06-2013, 01:51 AM
I hope that you are on to something here. I would feel even greater optimism if Parker would post some video and an explanation of what Dozier might be doing differently at the plate in terms of mechanics.

Hopefully Dozier can be a bright spot when we look back on this season.

Joe A. Preusser
08-06-2013, 05:53 AM
There are plenty of bright spots for the year:

Dozier - showing he can stick and be a + MLBer
Floriman - showing he can stick at the MLB level
Arcia - flashing great plate talent
Hicks - showing flashes of the above average MLBer he will be
The Pen - one of the best in baseball despite a lot of innings
Deduno - showing he can stick as a 4-5 starter
Thomas - showing more talent and results than anyone (including me) gave him credit for - should stick somewhere as a 4th outfielder now at least
Other than that, I bet we are excited by some of the Sept call-ups.

Jury is still out on Parm and Plouffe. Those were specifically two things I wanted clarified this year that seem unlikely to be. Rotation has been much worse than I expected.

Blackjack
08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Good article.

One question I have is why did he have to get to the major leagues before they figured he couldn't play shortstop?? The same could be said for Plouffe. What does that say about the Twins development of infielders?? If they had been moved earlier in the minors they would have more experience and wouldn't be learning at the major league level.

ericchri
08-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Reverse Samson effect? He chopped off his flowing locks and now he's a stud?

I've previously wondered if the Twins might move him back to short to make room for Rosario at 2nd, but I'm honestly really torn over that one. He looks so natural at 2nd base, it'd suck if he struggled a bit defensively at short if moved back. His potential bat would sure look nice at short, though. A couple games ago Roy Smalley noted that he thought Dozier was better off at 2nd base, too. While Roy might not be the world's greatest scout, I'm pretty confident he knows more about baseball and playing shortstop than I ever will.

One thing I really like about Dozier and even Florimon is that they actually have the ability to hit the ball over the fence. It's so frustrating to watch a Nick Punto/Ben Revere/Jamey Carroll and know there's little chance of anything but a single if they get a hit. They don't need to be in the league leaders or anything, but just offer the threat to make the pitcher a hair more cautious.

jay
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
It is interesting to note that despite playing in 19 fewer games than Pedroia, he has just two fewer putouts and five fewer assists, which means he’s getting to more plays per game than Pedroia. Is that more range, or just more ground balls from pitchers?

The Twins staff is at 44.7% GB while the Red Sox are at 43.9%.

Based on that minor difference alone, we could estimate Dozier would have 2% more plays on a per inning rate (realistically there's more at play here, but I digress). Pedroia is seeing .501 plays per inning (Assists+Putouts/IP), so Dozier should be just barely above that at .511. Dozier's plays per inning? .633

Safe to say the metrics on range (RZR and rPM, the range component of DRS) like Dozier this year.

mike wants wins
08-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Nice writeup Seth. I admit to overlooking the improvement in the hitting.....and being stuck on the overall numbers. If this is a real trend, he is a legit 2B. Rosario? Good question.

spycake
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
The Twins staff is at 44.7% GB while the Red Sox are at 43.9%.

Based on that minor difference alone, we could estimate Dozier would have 2% more plays on a per inning rate (realistically there's more at play here, but I digress). Pedroia is seeing .501 plays per inning (Assists+Putouts/IP), so Dozier should be just barely above that at .511. Dozier's plays per inning? .633

Safe to say the metrics on range (RZR and rPM, the range component of DRS) like Dozier this year.
The Twins pitching staff has 300 fewer strikeouts than Boston's, and almost 100 fewer strikeouts than the next lowest MLB team (Houston). Not sure how that is factored into the advanced metrics, but regardless of ground ball rates, Twins players are seeing way more chances in the field than others.

I wonder if that isn't inflating the defensive stats of our better fielders (Florimon, Dozier, Hicks) and deflating the stats of our worse fielders (Doumit, Willingham). Also, simply the presence of worse fielders at LF, RF, and 3B might boost the better fielders at 2B, SS, and CF -- every time Arcia or Doumit misplay a ball, it lengthens an inning and increases the likelihood of additional chances for Dozier and Florimon.

Again, not sure how all this is filtered through the various metrics, and not to take away from Dozier's and Florimon's performance, but it will be interesting if they can maintain this level in the future, as hopefully better fielders and pitchers are put in place around them.

DJL44
08-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Dozier skips AAA, lays an egg in the big leagues and eventually figures it out.

Hicks skips AAA, lays an egg in the big leagues, ????

It is a good idea for Rosario and Sano to spend some time in AAA too. Skipping AAA only works for the most elite prospects.

admscttgngl
08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Great article. It's nice to see the guy getting recognized for the improvements he's made. One thing I noticed about Dozier recently is how he has been coming through in big spots late in games. I checked out fangraphs and found he's 2nd only to Cano in wOBA in high leverage situations. Here's hoping he keeps it rolling in to next season.
Major League Leaderboards 2013 Batters Standard Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=0&season=2013&month=26&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0)

Seth Stohs
08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
My honest opinion is that we are probably making far too much out of his defense last year. There were nerves. He got into some bad streaks defensively. He is better at SS than what we saw. Players/Pitchers who played with him in the minor leagues loved him. He's steady and solid at SS, but now at 2B, he's really, really good.

I do think a lot of it is just being more and more comfortable.

Shane Wahl
08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Rosario is up in June next year at the earliest. Even after he comes up, there can be considerable platooning between he and Dozier at second and Rosario can get some time in LF and DH, while Dozier can spell Florimon and Plouffe once in awhile.

mike wants wins
08-06-2013, 09:11 AM

It is a good idea for Rosario and Sano to spend some time in AAA too. Skipping AAA only works for the most elite prospects.

Sano is the number 4 or 5 prospect in baseball, I'm pretty sure he's elite. I'd love him up here as soon as he's ready, whether he goes to AAA or not.

Nice first post. I like the parallels.

Seth Stohs
08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Great article. It's nice to see the guy getting recognized for the improvements he's made. One thing I noticed about Dozier recently is how he has been coming through in big spots late in games. I checked out fangraphs and found he's 2nd only to Cano in wOBA in high leverage situations. Here's hoping he keeps it rolling in to next season.
Major League Leaderboards 2013 Batters Standard Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=0&season=2013&month=26&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0)

I purposely didn't mention the two or three big hits from last weekend because that's such a small part of the story. That's some of the right man, right time kind of thing... Anyone can come up with a game-winning or game-tying hit (not to minimize the importance of them)... but Dozier's improvement has happened over 9-10 weeks, not just one weekend.

nicksaviking
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Good article and the advancement of Dozier is encouraging, but based on the title of the article, I think we have to be honest and realize that this team isn't going to improve based on Dozier's development. Thus far, three of the organizations top propsects have made it to the big leagues and two of them have performed below the expectations of even the most dour of Twins fans.

Siehbiscuit
08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
The most disappointing thing about this season is not seeingany progress from Trevor Plouffe or Chris Parmalee. We all knew our pitching staff was going to be awful, but held out hope for of the young bats to breakthrough.

spycake
08-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Offensively, I will note that as good as Dozier's OPS is since late May, he's been around the ~.700 OPS plateau for the last month-plus. He basically ended July with almost the exact season rate stats that he had when he began July, and also where he sits today. And if some SO:BB magic clicked for him in June, it mostly deserted him in July, when he basically repeated his April across all stat categories except with more XBH. That suggests he still might settle in closer to .700 OPS overall, which is a big improvement from last year, but I think I'd need to see a near-repeat of his June to upgrade his forecast much beyond that (i.e. .750 territory).

Interestingly, Chris Parmelee reached a similar sub-.600 OPS season low point (although not quite as low) in late May, then had an solid stretch of .350+ OBP and .500+ SLG into July with solid SO:BB rate, just like Dozier. Then that rate and his season trend reverted at about the exact same time as Dozier's, during/after the Toronto series (obviously Parm crashed much harder than Dozier, though).

Maybe something to do with the quality of opposition we were facing, that their seasons have tracked so closely to one another? The Twins as a whole posted by far their best monthly OBP and SLG in June this year.

spycake
08-06-2013, 09:37 AM
The most disappointing thing about this season is not seeingany progress from Trevor Plouffe or Chris Parmalee. We all knew our pitching staff was going to be awful, but held out hope for of the young bats to breakthrough.
To be fair, Parmelee and Plouffe were virtual non-prospects until they both experienced AAA breakouts. Definitely nice AAA breakouts, to be sure, but that kind of history always give me pause.

Interestingly, Dozer was almost the reverse -- he had a good minor league track record (albeit generally older, as a college draftee) before cratering at AAA (and MLB) last year.

AAA really is the strangest level of pro baseball, I think.

drjim
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Dozier didn't completely skip AAA but this is a great reminder. Almost every player returns to the minors at some point.

jorgenswest
08-06-2013, 09:39 AM
The first measures that become reliable in small samples are strike out rates and base on ball rates (as well as flyball groundball data)

While the samples in the article are too small to justify a conclusion of improvement, I think there has also been an significant improvement in the walk and strike out rates.

roger
08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Great article Seth. As you know, I have been wondering about this question for awhile. I see Dozier as being Dustin Pedroia lite. Hard working, hustling, very solid defensive second basemen. Decent bat with occassional pop. Kind of guy you like to have on a winning team, a gamer!

What to do with Rosario, who some believe will be ready on opening day, is another question. With so many holes in this team, you can't put Dozier on the bench. That means they have to find another spot for Rosario and right field certainly makes the most sense. If my memory is correct, both Gardy and Moliter have previously talked about Rosario's bat being ready for the big leagues.

jay
08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I see Dozier as being Dustin Pedroia lite.

I think the Twins and Twins fans would be thrilled if Dozier could sustain performance of anything resembling Dustin Pedroia (lite, medium, or heavy). I'd add high OBP to the list of crucial ingredients to do so.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I am going to be the devil's advocate here (or something). I saw Dozier live here in DC in June and he was absolutely dreadful on defense--he made an error (that wasn't given) that led to 5 runs that should have been unearned--overall in that game I would rate his defense poor. I have seen him a couple of other times on the tube and highlights on twinsbaseball.com and he has looked better. I don't think he is Pedroia lite and no reason to start him over Rosario when the kid is ready. To me, Dozier is a slightly better Little Nicky Punto and no more.

spycake
08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
The first measures that become reliable in small samples are strike out rates and base on ball rates (as well as flyball groundball data)

While the samples in the article are too small to justify a conclusion of improvement, I think there has also been an significant improvement in the walk and strike out rates.

Not sure if I see a trend here, or just a one-month blip:

Month
BB
SO

April

May

June

July

August

Outside of June, those BB:SO rates aren't appreciably different from 2012. What is different is he is getting more XBH.

ThePuck
08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
I am going to be the devil's advocate here (or something). I saw Dozier live here in DC in June and he was absolutely dreadful on defense--he made an error (that wasn't given) that led to 5 runs that should have been unearned--overall in that game I would rate his defense poor. I have seen him a couple of other times on the tube and highlights on twinsbaseball.com and he has looked better. I don't think he is Pedroia lite and no reason to start him over Rosario when the kid is ready. To me, Dozier is a slightly better Little Nicky Punto and no more.

So, because he had one bad game, you'd rate his defense poor. He's looked to me to be above average on defense for the season. Fangraphs seems to agree.

Steve Penz
08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Please leave Rosario alone. I feel strongly that to take him off of the 2B path is an error. If he was meant to be a star outfielder then they would have left him there. He has shown to be a great hitter at every level of the minors and all reports say his D is improving. Dozier had a similar A+ / AA (combined) year like Rosario is having now but he did that at age 24 with less power and less RBIs. I say that assuming that Rosario completes this year at the same pace he is on now. We have corner outfielders in the hopper and let’s hope they continue to develop. I do like Dozier and as Seth showed, in the latter 57 games of this year he has been good but it is .262 good. How good is that? IMO the scenario we want is that he continues to improve and so does Rosario so when the time is right, the Twins can use one of them to get more pitching because both are solid second baseman. When you put Rosario at LF or RF then his numbers become a lot less impressive but if you leave him at 2B he can be exceptional. I think that if they leave Rosario at 2B that in 2017 the Twins will look back and rejoice that they made that decision because they may have one of the best-hitting second basemen in the MLB. If you want to say Dozier's performance is headed in the right direction that is one thing. To start saying he is the future is something very different.

ThePuck
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Please leave Rosario alone. I feel strongly that to take him off of the 2B path is an error. If he was meant to be a star outfielder then they would have left him there. He has shown to be a great hitter at every level of the minors and all reports say his D is improving. Dozier had a similar A+ / AA (combined) year like Rosario is having now but he did that at age 24 with less power and less RBIs. I say that assuming that Rosario completes this year at the same pace he is on now. We have corner outfielders in the hopper and let’s hope they continue to develop. I do like Dozier and as Seth showed, in the latter 57 games of this year he has been good but it is .262 good. How good is that? IMO the scenario we want is that he continues to improve and so does Rosario so when the time is right, the Twins can use one of them to get more pitching because both are solid second baseman. When you put Rosario at LF or RF then his numbers become a lot less impressive but if you leave him at 2B he can be exceptional. I think that if they leave Rosario at 2B that in 2017 the Twins will look back and rejoice that they made that decision because they may have one of the best-hitting second basemen in the MLB. If you want to say Dozier's performance is headed in the right direction that is one thing. To start saying he is the future is something very different.

It was my understanding, and it could be wrong, is that the team felt it was loaded with OF talent at the time so they moved him to 2B.

Steve Penz
08-06-2013, 10:35 AM
It was my understanding, and it could be wrong, is that the team felt it was loaded with OF talent at the time so they moved him to 2B.

That may be right. Whatever drove the decision, I think it was a good one and they have invested 2 years in this project. Let it run.

spycake
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Pedroia, for his career, has more BB than SO, and his career low season OPS (this year so far) is .785. Dozier has exactly one month where he has done either of those things at the MLB level. Less than a season of defensive similarity is about it for those two.

Dozier is probably "Pedroia lite" as much as Jermaine Jackson was "Michael Jackson lite".

Thegrin
08-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Rosario's numbers suggest that he will hit anywhere at any time. Dozier's only hope for regular employment will be at SS. This is the kind of situation that Twins fans could enjoy for the next 10 years.

Shane Wahl
08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I guess I will just say it again: there is no need to really move Rosario to the OF even if he comes up in June next year (opening day seems totally foolish). It certainly isn't going to be wise to seriously deflate Rosario's value by moving him out there beyond an occasional fill-in. Dozier and Rosario can platoon at second to allow for Rosario's transition to the majors to be smoother, and Dozier can still get playing time around the infield. He is not going to be a great defender at short or third, but he could be adequate.

jay
08-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I would be more than glad to see the Twins face a decision between multiple MLB-caliber players at one position. We could use a few more good problems.

Boom Boom
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Let's let this thing play out before we start moving Rosario down the defensive spectrum. Dozier's been improved, but I'm not ready to say the Twins are set for years to come at second base because of him.

Kwak
08-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The Twins need to adopt the policy of eliminating the "B" talent after 4 years of MLB service because these guys get too darn expensive for what they are worth. So, give Dozier (and Plouffe, Parmelee, and the rest) their chance but if a man isn't "A" talent--trade him for prospects. The "A" talent gets a long-term talent. The "C" talent (hopefully) has been scubbed long before this time. IMO, Dozier isn't--and will never be--"A" talent. Applaud his success because it will make him enticing to another team, but don't be deceived by his charm and smile.

TheLeviathan
08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Before we worry about moving anyone, anywhere....maybe Dozier should keep it together for the next two months and the first two months of next year. Then we have a decision to make.

While he has clearly shown the ability to field the position, we're a long way from relying on him to hit at the position so much that we should worry about where we move one of our most exciting prospects.

drjim
08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
The Twins need to adopt the policy of eliminating the "B" talent after 4 years of MLB service because these guys get too darn expensive for what they are worth. So, give Dozier (and Plouffe, Parmelee, and the rest) their chance but if a man isn't "A" talent--trade him for prospects. The "A" talent gets a long-term talent. The "C" talent (hopefully) has been scubbed long before this time. IMO, Dozier isn't--and will never be--"A" talent. Applaud his success because it will make him enticing to another team, but don't be deceived by his charm and smile.

That was probably the rationale for cutting Ortiz.

DJL44
08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
They'll need several infielders. Dozier could be an above average utility player. It's okay for the second tier talent to give you options on the bench.

Kwak
08-06-2013, 12:51 PM
That was probably the rationale for cutting Ortiz.

There was even more evidence that "he didn't play the Twins Way" and was perceived as a "malcontent". Please remember I said "trade 'B' talent", not throw it away for nothing.

drjim
08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
There was even more evidence that "he didn't play the Twins Way" and was perceived as a "malcontent". Please remember I said "trade 'B' talent", not throw it away for nothing.

He had no trade value. As a free agent he got less than he would have in arby.

I don't buy your quoted reasons at all.

jimbo92107
08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
There are plenty of bright spots for the year:

Dozier - showing he can stick and be a + MLBer
Floriman - showing he can stick at the MLB level
Arcia - flashing great plate talent
Hicks - showing flashes of the above average MLBer he will be
The Pen - one of the best in baseball despite a lot of innings
Deduno - showing he can stick as a 4-5 starter
Thomas - showing more talent and results than anyone (including me) gave him credit for - should stick somewhere as a 4th outfielder now at least
Other than that, I bet we are excited by some of the Sept call-ups.

Jury is still out on Parm and Plouffe. Those were specifically two things I wanted clarified this year that seem unlikely to be. Rotation has been much worse than I expected.

First, major kudos to new hitting coach Brunanski for Dozier and Florimon. He's got them looking for pitches in zones, then driving the ball.

Dozier - improved greatly on defense and offense. Now cashing in on adjustments at plate during games.
Floriman - same as Dozier, greatly improving his approach at plate, great d.
Arcia - huge potential as power hitter, needs to improve his d a lot.
Hicks - I still don't worry about this guy. He'll keep improving gradually, it's his M.O.
The Pen - Best in baseball. We got lucky with the bargain basement.
Pressly - Could be a 4 or 5 guy next year in the rotation.
Swarzak - Fits the Twins model of short starts, long relief. Keep using him just the way they did this year.
Thielbar - Like finding a chunk of gold on the sidewalk. How did so many teams miss this guy?
Duensing - probably needs a change of scenery, and a new pitching coach.
Fien - Dang, is he the closer after Perk?
Burton - great when he's healthy, which may always be a question.
Correia - 4th or 5th guy, innings eater, but on a stronger team than this.
Roenicke - seems inconsistent, but his era is 3.11 this season.
Deduno - Best starter on this staff, which is kinda sad. Fun to watch.
Thomas - Agreed, he should be a 4th OF on some team, but Twins have a logjam of OF prospects coming up.
Plouffe - A mystery. One great half season, otherwise, mediocre. I'd move him.

Halsey Hall
08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Great article Seth. As you know, I have been wondering about this question for awhile. I see Dozier as being Dustin Pedroia lite. Hard working, hustling, very solid defensive second basemen. Decent bat with occassional pop. Kind of guy you like to have on a winning team, a gamer!

What to do with Rosario, who some believe will be ready on opening day, is another question. With so many holes in this team, you can't put Dozier on the bench. That means they have to find another spot for Rosario and right field certainly makes the most sense. If my memory is correct, both Gardy and Moliter have previously talked about Rosario's bat being ready for the big leagues.

Not sure of your memory either, but I doubt Gardy's seen enough of Rosario to make that statement. I haven't seen him since spring training, but really doubt he'll be ready by opening day next year.

Nice article though!

troyhobbs
08-06-2013, 01:41 PM
If Dozier continues to be decent they can trade him when Rosario is ready. Not like he's irreplaceable, he's pretty average while Rosario has stud potential

Chance
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
When Rosario is ready to come up (September if healthy) I would like to see Dozier back at SS. I think he has gained so much confidence on defense this year that we shouldn't have a repeat of last season. Rosario's bat plays great at 2B and Dozier's would be above average at SS if he stays on his current pace.

Major Leauge Ready
08-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Deduno and Dozier have to be the most positive trends this year. Next, for me, is Florimon. His defense has been great and we have sucked at short for quite a while with the exception of Hardy who I will never understand why they let him go. Pressly and Thielbar would fall under the category of positive trends. They came out of nowhere to look like they can be assets to the team going forward. Schwzak gets honorable mention.

Arcia and Hicks were just not ready but let's hope they develop into the stars we hope. We really need these two guys to pan out. Hopefully, they both show very positive improvement over the remainder of the season.

I was really hoping Plouffe would break out and be a 25-30 HR producer and I am really disappointed Parmalee did not come around with the bat given he was better than expected defensively. Let's hope they show us something in the remaining games give us reason to hope for next year.

Hedricks and Worley were the biggest disappointments for me this year. Morneau falls into that category too. I would have been great if he rebounded. They could have signed him for a couple years to bridge the gap of gotten a good prospect at the deadline. Mastro getting hurt was a biiger deal to me than others might feel. Hicks could have been sent back to AAA earlier and Mastro would have been quite a bit better leading off than what we had in the first couple months of the season. Plus, he is fun to watch.

Sano's defensive improvement and Buxton demonstrating he has superstar potential would be the two best things that happended for theis organization in 2013. Adam Walker also gave us some glimpses of potential greatness. Based on the BB/K ratio, it looks like he really needs to improve his approach. He just might be a beast if he learns to make pitchers pitch to him.

Thrylos
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I agree that Dozier has been improving (with an impressive glove as well) and he has shown that he could be a solution for the future at second base or a trading chip when Rosario arrives.

Also agree with this:

Anyone looking at the Minnesota Twins roster coming out of spring training knew that the team would not be competing with the Detroit Tigers in 2013. So, in my mind, 2013 would be all about development and improvement. Those two things would be the keys, the things I would be looking for, in 2013.

but my conclusion, as a team overall is that the Twins did not do much to improve or ever think about the future in 2013, and are definitely not "trending in the right direction":

a. Players who will not be part of the future (Correia, Morneau, Doumit, Willingham, Thomas, Colabello, Carroll, Bernier, et al) have been taking valuable playing time and growing from players who will be part of the future
b. For a future to exist, this starting pitching mess has to be fixed. Potentially having found a second baseman for the future is a drop in the bucket compared to what this team is missing (namely starting pitching and power and willingness to win - if you do not believe me about the last, look at the bunch of zombies who played last night and were happy and all smiles and laughs on the dugout when an infielder pitched, despite the team being blown out...)

stringer bell
08-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Dozier with a homer and an RBI single tonight. Both show why I have to like what he is doing. 1) Dozier was down 0-2, worked the count full and than cracked a "middle-in" fastball into the bullpen. He has shown pretty good power, all of his homers have been pulled IIRC. That he was able to work the count full against a good pitcher was pretty impressive. 2) Dozier was fooled by a pitch, but made contact and served it into right for an RBI single. Very similar to one of his big hits in the Houston series. I still like him better at the bottom of the order, but he's been the best that the Twins have right now to lead off.

Monkeypaws
08-06-2013, 10:47 PM
If Dozier continues to be decent they can trade him when Rosario is ready. Not like he's irreplaceable, he's pretty average while Rosario has stud potential

Or vice versa : Dozier's defense makes him adequate. His offense of late makes makes him above average. Why are we in a hurry to replace that?

If Rosario is that good, yes, a nice problem to have. But Dozier is taking charge out there.

Halsey Hall
08-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Or vice versa : Dozier's defense makes him adequate. His offense of late makes makes him above average. Why are we in a hurry to replace that?

If Rosario is that good, yes, a nice problem to have. But Dozier is taking charge out there.

I agree Monkeypaws. And the IF is a big one. I see an awful lot of posters on this board that assume guys are ready to make the leap, only to find out they aren't. With Dozier, we've bought some time for Rosario to prove he can make the jump.

diehardtwinsfan
08-07-2013, 05:57 AM

Pretty much this... Dozier will give Rosario a chance to learn and earn it in AAA. No complaints there. When Rosario is ready, the question becomes whether we trade Dozier, or move him to short/super utility. Having a guy who can play SS and 2B will at the least keep a fresh rotation in the middle infield.

troyhobbs
08-07-2013, 06:16 AM

He is. Just saying it's an alternative to moving him back to SS. Prospects like Rosario and/or Polanco could make us quickly forget about Dozier and Santana appears to be a more natural SS. There are options and that's good.

Steve Penz
08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
No matter what I think about Doziers future, let me say that thank god he is with us now. Without Dozier the Twins would have scored very few runs during the last 10 days. Wow.