PDA

View Full Version : Predict the return for Buterible

diehardtwinsfan
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Have to admit this was the last guy I expected traded. Nice to get something, and it allows Pinto some AAA time and frees up a 40 man spot for (potentially) Albers. What do you guys think we got for him?

Winston Smith
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Punto

James
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Sandy Koufax. That's my guess.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM
This voting so far is ridiculous. Rally Monkey is way more valuable than Butera.

Danchat
08-01-2013, 02:05 PM
The Twins are so cheap, we'll take cash considerations and not spend it. We'll get back some of the $500,000-$700,000 we wasted on Butera!

Smcginnity
08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure we probably will need to pay them for taking him off our hands...

Bark's Lounge
08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
If I were the Twins, I'd be happy with a Skip Schumacher Autographed photo and a $10 Gift Certficate to the In-N-Out Burger.

SpitefulRabbit617
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I think freeing up the roster space was a reward in and of itself.

SpitefulRabbit617
08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
N/M, a white castle gift card for $250 that will be spent on crave cases. There will be fireworks in the dugout to fire up the offense

nicksaviking
08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
This was tough, I wanted to pick poor relief prospect but I surely wasn't going to pick decent relief prospect.

Cash considerations made more sense.

cmb0252
08-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Cash consideration. We needed a roster spot and we clear/add a little cash into the owners pockets.

nicksaviking
08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
OK, overlooking the cash option, I decided to make my prediction.

Michael Thomas Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=thomas000mik)

Michael Thomas, a 24-year-old lefty relief pitcher in AA. His numbers look way too good for a Butera like return but he's not on the Dodgers top 20 prospect list and he is after all only a reliever (until the Twins transform him into an All-Star starter!)

diehardtwinsfan
08-01-2013, 04:50 PM
OK, overlooking the cash option, I decided to make my prediction.

Michael Thomas Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=thomas000mik)

Michael Thomas, a 24-year-old lefty relief pitcher in AA. His numbers look way too good for a Butera like return but he's not on the Dodgers top 20 prospect list and he is after all only a reliever (until the Twins transform him into an All-Star starter!)

I was thinking something along this line too. I cannot see a team giving up a potential starting pitcher or fielder, but Ryan needs to target guys that can have an impact. For guys like Butera, Carol, etc, I could see Ryan targeting relief pitching prospects. Those guys are higher risk, but if they succeed, the reward can be nice too.

Rosterman
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I think the Twins saved more money when Mauer took two days off for his babies than the Twins will save from Butera's contract going to the Dodgers...a contract that never should've been signed in the first place.

rickyriolo
08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodgers do not have the rally monkey--that is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim--so i prefer the used Puig jockstrap. And no White Castle burgers in southern Cal

snepp
08-01-2013, 05:23 PM
You misunderstand, the Rally Monkey must be an option in the poll, all polls.

drjim
08-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I thought this was going to be a poll about how soon Butera would be back in the Twins organization and terrorizing half this board.

Rick Blaine
08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I thought this was going to be a poll about how soon Butera would be back in the Twins organization and terrorizing half this board.

That was my guess PTBNL = Drew Butera

Thrylos
08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Ryan will get what he got (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779537-mlb-trade-news-the-50-dumbest-trades-in-baseball-history/page/48) for trading Winfield to Cleveland (slightly more than what he got for trading Thome) ; he is good at this.

Danchat
08-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Ryan will get what he got (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779537-mlb-trade-news-the-50-dumbest-trades-in-baseball-history/page/48) for trading Winfield to Cleveland (slightly more than what he got for trading Thome) ; he is good at this.

They will get dinner for Butera.... and the Dodgers staff will treat Terry Ryan to Waffle House.

nicksaviking
08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
To be fair, I think McPhail was still technically the GM when Winfield got traded. But to be more fair, it was Ryan, his understudy, who was the GM when they agreed to the new terms of the deal. I suppose Ryan's dinner might have been worth it, I heard they went to Shakey's.

nicksaviking
08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
And the winner is, this guy:

Miguel Sulbaran Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=sulbar000mig&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com)

Ranked #14 among Dodgers prospects. Wow, nice return. I checked this guy out when I was looking through the Dodgers minor league stats but dismissed him as he seemed to be out of Butera's league.

mike wants wins
08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Wow, they got a player. That is a great trade by Ryan. Really.

Nick Nelson
08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm shocked by this return. Sulbaran looks like a somewhat legitimate prospect. Same age as Berrios and put up better numbers in the same league. Only 5'10" though.

ScottyB
08-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Color me shocked - much better than I expected.

cmb0252
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm shocked by this return. Sulbaran looks like a somewhat legitimate prospect. Same age as Berrios and put up better numbers in the same league. Only 5'10" though.

His height is the only real "negative" he has. Even if he ends up just a lefty out of the pen the trade will still be a success in my eyes. Very good return for a few months of Butera.

nicksaviking
08-13-2013, 04:04 PM
The Luis Castillo trade tree has grown a new branch, nice move. Considering his age and production, I'd put him ahead of other pitching prospects Melotakis, Bard, Chargois and Baxendale.

James
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Ned Colletti to JR: "Yeah, Sulbaran will work for us."

After deal is finalized, JR to Ned:
"You know, I was kind of joking when I brought his name up originally. I didn't think you'd actually go for it. Thanks though."

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Zach Lee for Morneau, do it now Ryan!!!

Winston Smith
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I expected cash so I'm happy even if he doesn't turn out.

jokin
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
The Luis Castillo trade tree has grown a new branch, nice move. Considering his age and production, I'd put him ahead of other pitching prospects Melotakis, Bard, Chargois and Baxendale.

4 pitches including a low-90s fastball. Everything looks good, but at 5'10", he seems destined for the pen. Not sure if you can rank him ahead of guys who still potentially project as starters.

Still, this move smacks of the Dodgers feeling like they need to generate some goodwill around the League after disrupting the MLB natural order of things with their free-spending ways.

jokin
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM

4 pitches including a low-90s fastball. Everything looks good, but at 5'10", he seems destined for the pen. Not sure if you can rank him ahead of guys who still potentially project as starters.

Still, this move smacks of the Dodgers feeling like they need to generate some goodwill around the League after disrupting the MLB natural order of things with their free-spending ways. (Still happy to give credit to Ryan for getting anything for a DFA candidate).

mike wants wins
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
I expected cash so I'm happy even if he doesn't turn out.

This. Agreed, should have been more clear on my post.

jokin
08-13-2013, 04:27 PM
N/N

nicksaviking
08-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Still, this move smacks of the Dodgers feeling like they need to generate some goodwill around the League after disrupting the MLB natural order of things with their free-spending ways.

I'd have to think Melotakis and Bard have just as man question marks as starters. People bring up his stature but I wonder what is causing the concern? I thought we were past the point where hight was a major red flag.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Honest and stupid question: what are the odds he can still grow an inch or two? (Or maybe he has this year?)

18/19 is still young enough where people still put on height, no?

ScottyB
08-13-2013, 04:33 PM
These are TR's best type of trades - cast off a veteran who's no longer needed for a prospect. See trades for Casilla, Bartlett, Ortiz etc. Good job Terry.

jokin
08-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I'd have to think Melotakis and Bard have just as man question marks as starters. People bring up his stature but I wonder what is causing the concern? I thought we were past the point where hight was a major red flag.

Agreed about those 2. Still have hopes for the 2 others, all 4 are 6'3", fitting the prototype a lot better than 5'10".

I don't know about you, but I'll never get past the fact that, all other things being equal, the odds for success tip heavily towards taller rather than shorter pitchers. Still, there are always exceptions to the rule, this guy could be the one who has never read the articles about major red flags and height for starting pitchers. He's sure to be yet another guy to watch very closely both now and in Venezuelan winter ball- we might have another intriguing arm in High A in 2014 chomping at the bit.

jokin
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
These are TR's best type of trades - cast off a veteran who's no longer needed for a prospect. See trades for Casilla, Bartlett, Ortiz etc. Good job Terry.

Yup. TR could write a book or teach a college course on this area of GMing. (Kind of a limited market though for his tome, no #1 NY Times best seller list for a limited niche market, sub-specialty, how-to book).

bl
08-13-2013, 05:03 PM
What is it about the NL West and overpaying for our catchers?

snepp
08-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Well done JR, well done.

http://i.imgur.com/TV3SH.png

ChiTownTwinsFan
08-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Honest and stupid question: what are the odds he can still grow an inch or two? (Or maybe he has this year?)

Yes. Very likely could. Mauer put on a couple inches at that age; a guy I went to high school was shorter than me at graduation, then taller than me by a good bit at our 5 yr reunion.

ashburyjohn
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Yup. TR could write a book or teach a college course on this area of GMing. (Kind of a limited market though for his tome, no #1 NY Times best seller list for a limited niche market, sub-specialty, how-to book).

His one-hour presentation at last summer's SABR convention represents a pretty good outline for such a book or course. My impression was that he did this from notes he jotted down after being told that the "panel discussion" that had been scheduled was actually going to be just him.

https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/a70da2af57f2e9635ed8.mp3
(https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/a70da2af57f2e9635ed8.mp3)

darin617
08-13-2013, 07:26 PM

With or without the help of HGH?

AM.
08-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Is there a "guess the Caroll return" thread? Because Dayton Moore is another GM that I'm happy to have TR working with.