PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to see replace Baker?

Parker Hageman
04-11-2012, 04:59 PM
According the presser, it sounds like the Twins will go forward with either Liam Hendriks or Anthony Swarzak as internal options. Likely no moves to be made from outside of the organization. Nevertheless, who would you replace Baker with going forward this season? Stay put or spend money or prospects on bringing someone in?

Seth Stohs
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Hendriks is the right choice, as soon as he's able. Marquis will be up soon and Swarzak can go back to the 'pen.

Thrylos
04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Who do I want to replace Scott Baker: Kevin Slowey
Who will replace Scott Baker: Liam Hendriks and/or Anthony Swarzak

John Bonnes
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I know Diamond in starting in AAA, but who else is in the rotation down there? I'm just wondering about additional depth.

dabecka
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Actually the right choice was never to sign Jason Marquis since Swarzak is essentially the cheaper equivalent. I understand TR's need for depth, but Marquis was a decent signing. I hate to see him starting over Swarzak though. I feel Anthony deserves a shot.

twinswon1991
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Marquis is a batting practice pitcher that should be released. Slowey is 100% better than Marquis but our clueless gm values nice guys because they get along with gardy. Bring up guys from our poor minor league system to get the innings since they will lose 110 games regardless.

James
04-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Actually the right choice was never to sign Jason Marquis since Swarzak is essentially the cheaper equivalent. I understand TR's need for depth, but Marquis was a decent signing. I hate to see him starting over Swarzak though. I feel Anthony deserves a shot.I think the idea was Marquis is a relatively cheap starter that puts in a lot of innings and creates a ton of ground balls. I think TR was trying to save some bullpen arms that way.

I think this is Hendricks' time to prove he's ready. Hopefully, he has a great year.

Thrylos
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I know Diamond in starting in AAA, but who else is in the rotation down there? I'm just wondering about additional depth.

PJ Walters
Sam Deduno
Cole DeVries
Darryl Tompson

Maybe PJ Walters but I do not see any of the others. I do like Deduno & DeVriesbut not as starters

shs_59
04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Likely: Scott Diamond, Jeff Manship, Anthony Swarzak

IT SUCKS because Swarzak could of been our BEST bullpen option outside of Perk.

Unlikely: Alex Wimmers, Dave Bromberg, Bobby Lanigan

Even more Unlikely: Roy Oswalt

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 05:43 PM

The rest of the AAA rotation is pretty weak. Diamond I imagine would be the next up. Though it will be Hendriks/Marquis for the time being I imagine. Diamond, Swarzak and Duesing in case things get even worse :(

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Likely: Scott Diamond, Jeff Manship, Anthony Swarzak

IT SUCKS because Swarzak could of been our BEST bullpen option outside of Perk.

Unlikely: Alex Wimmers, Dave Bromberg, Bobby Lanigan

Even more Unlikely: Roy Oswalt

Swarzak still will have the opp to be a bullpen guy.

Current rotation within a week will be: Liriano, Pavano, Blackburn, Hendriks, Marquis
Ouch. If Liriano coming back to form wasn't important before, it certainly is now, he is now the only guy in the rotation who has even the slightest potential to be better then a #3.

John Bonnes
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Yes. Poor Slowey. He's just misunderstood. :rolleyes:

I want to like Swarzak, I really do. But the numbers just aren't there. Not in the majors as a starter (5.22 ERA) or even in the minors (5.5 K/9 in AAA). I'm not crazy about Hendriks, just because I really think they're rushing him. But he's my choice, outside of going and getting another starter.

Any other free agents out there besides Oswalt?

- Justin Duchsererer? His name would fit right in, spelling wise.
- Jon Garland?
- Scott Kazmir?
- Carlos Silva?

TwinsFanLV
04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Three lefties in the pen is one more than we need. How about asking the three of them who might like to start?
What does a team planning to lose 100 games need three lefty relievers to do?

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

I want to like Swarzak, I really do. But the numbers just aren't there. Not in the majors as a starter (5.22 ERA) or even in the minors (5.5 K/9 in AAA). I'm not crazy about Hendriks, just because I really think they're rushing him. But he's my choice, outside of going and getting another starter.

- Jon Garland?
- Scott Kazmir?
- Carlos Silva?
Lannahan could prob be had somewhat cheaply in a trade, but he isn't anything special.

I wouldn't mind them going after a guy like Cecil, Drabek or Cobb if the cost isn't a whole lot. Get a guy that actually has some potential upside who could stick in the rotation for more than a year.

None of the free agents interest me besides Oswalt, and unless the Twins jet into first place he won't be coming here anytime soon. Also, I agree on Slowey, people need to stop acting like the Twins made some massive mistake by trading him. Colorado loved him so much that they traded him to Cleveland for next to nothing, and Cleveland loved him so much they immediately shipped him to AAA.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Three lefties in the pen is one more than we need. How about asking the three of them who might like to start?
What does a team planning to lose 100 games need three lefty relievers to do?

Perkins- No, he needs to continue to build off his success in the pen. He is the set up guy anyways and isn't used like a typical LOOGY.
Duensing- Has already gotten plenty of starts, has pretty poor splits and has a lot more value in the pen.
Maloney- Meh, pretty mediocre, I'd rather see about 10 Twins prospects ahead of him (Diamond, Hendriks, Swarzak, etc)

jimbo92107
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Swarzak doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he does have a great bulldog attitude. Key to his success will be developing precision, being able to pick corners, vary his speed, etc. In other words, he needs to become a clever bulldog with good aim.

Hendriks takes Baker's spot, but Swarzak may contend for it if Hendriks falters. Of the two, Hendriks appears to have more talent, but Swarzak has the bulldog attitude. Reminds me a little of Blackburn that way. Who in the minors could step up? No idea, but I'd love to see David Bromberg succeed this year.

jimbo92107
04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Duensing- Has already gotten plenty of starts, has pretty poor splits and has a lot more value in the pen.

I think Brian Duensing is a better pitcher than people realize. A lot of young pitchers have up-and-down seasons when they first emerge from the minors, then later stabilize into consistent performers. I think Duensing is about ready to show that he can do the job consistently, as a reliever or a starter. At the moment, I'd still rather see him in the bull pen because he's very effective, but if needed he could step in and spot start as well as Swarzak, or better.

THE DFC
04-11-2012, 06:22 PM
You throw Hendriks to the fire and cross your fingers that he can handle it. If he proves he's not ready, you give Swarzak then Diamond shots to prove themselves. Swarzak and Diamond are really at the sink or swim point in their careers as potential starters. They'll likely sink, but unlike almost anyone else in AAA or in the Twins' pen, they at least have a chance to swim. I'd let them ride out the rest of the season to see if at least one of the two can figure it out. It's not like we have a lot to lose.

As VodkaDave pointed out above, Perkins and Duensing need to stay in the pen. They're very good options there. Their roles are set. Don't mess with them.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I think Brian Duensing is a better pitcher than people realize. A lot of young pitchers have up-and-down seasons when they first emerge from the minors, then later stabilize into consistent performers. I think Duensing is about ready to show that he can do the job consistently, as a reliever or a starter. At the moment, I'd still rather see him in the bull pen because he's very effective, but if needed he could step in and spot start as well as Swarzak, or better.

I'm not down on him, and he is one of my more favorite pitchers, but the fact is he gets hit pretty hard by righties. Teams figured this out and eventually started stacking lineups against him which is why he ended up with a lackluster 5.23 ERA last year. He is a pretty effective LOOGY and a replacement level starter. Why not maximize his value and keep him in the pen?

/.358
/.476
/.834
are what righties hit off him in his career. I agree he is ok for a spot start here and there if needed, but his true value is in the pen against lefties who have a

line off him.

side note to mods: this formatting issue above has now came up a couple times, maybe you can turn something off in the forum options?

mikeee
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM

- Jon Garland?
- Scott Kazmir?
- Carlos Silva?

You forgot Livan Hernandez.

mike wants wins
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Um, isn't it Hendriks? Why keep saving these young guys?

Kneelb4zerg
04-11-2012, 06:56 PM

I wish people would stop acting butthurt about Slowey. Why don't all the spurned Twins fans plan a trip to Buffalo or wherever the hell Cleveland's AAA team is so you all can have a big pity party and talk to Kevin about climbing Mt Kilamanjaro.

Riverbrian
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
To replace Baker... The best choice is Matt Moore.

Moore would probably be a tough get.

Hendricks is the answer. The kid just got his chance to make a MLB statement. I hope he runs with it.

Nick Nelson
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I think it'll be Hendriks, who actually could hold his own, albeit not at a Baker level. The problem is that the next guy in line is now Swarzak or Maloney or Diamond. This could get ugly in a hurry when another starter inevitably needs to miss time.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
You forgot Livan Hernandez.
Atlanta signed him!

nicksaviking
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
No need to consider Slowey any longer, but I do remember after Nathan went down in spring training 2010, the Twins were scrambling for closing options and a Slowey/CJ Wilson trade was rumored to be in discussion and the Rangers were actaully going to have to kick in another piece as Slowey's trade value was higher than the Rangers set up man. The Twins never trade players at their peak. Probably just as well though, it's doubtful the Twins would have had the foresight to transfer Wilson to the rotation.

alarp33
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Swarzak doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he does have a great bulldog attitude. Key to his success will be developing precision, being able to pick corners, vary his speed, etc. In other words, he needs to become a clever bulldog with good aim.

Hendriks takes Baker's spot, but Swarzak may contend for it if Hendriks falters. Of the two, Hendriks appears to have more talent, but Swarzak has the bulldog attitude. Reminds me a little of Blackburn that way. Who in the minors could step up? No idea, but I'd love to see David Bromberg succeed this year.

Is that you Gardy? If only we could quantify that "bulldog attitude" into results.

gunnarthor
04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I wish people would stop acting butthurt about Slowey. Why don't all the spurned Twins fans plan a trip to Buffalo or wherever the hell Cleveland's AAA team is so you all can have a big pity party and talk to Kevin about climbing Mt Kilamanjaro.

Exactly. Since 2008 (Slowey's best year) -

Slowey - 90 ERA+, 466 ip, 3.4 WAR
Liriano - 90 ERA+, 542ip, 4.4 WAR
Blackburn - 93 ERA+, 713ip, 4.8 WAR
Duensing - 104 ERA+, 378ip, 4.6 WAR

stringer bell
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
French has pitched very well in New Britain. I remember him as being part of the Jarrod Washburn trade (going to the M's). He has some big league experience and is a lefty, I believe (also breathing). To me, French and Diamond are cut out of the same cloth. Maloney had a nice spring and struck out hitters, but he's 28 and hasn't established himself in the majors.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Exactly. Since 2008 (Slowey's best year) -

Slowey - 90 ERA+, 466 ip, 3.4 WAR
Liriano - 90 ERA+, 542ip, 4.4 WAR
Blackburn - 93 ERA+, 713ip, 4.8 WAR
Duensing - 104 ERA+, 378ip, 4.6 WAR
Though I agree that Slowey is mediocre, I don't understand why you feel the need to include IP and WAR in this argument.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
French has pitched very well in New Britain. I remember him as being part of the Jarrod Washburn trade (going to the M's). He has some big league experience and is a lefty, I believe (also breathing). To me, French and Diamond are cut out of the same cloth. Maloney had a nice spring and struck out hitters, but he's 28 and hasn't established himself in the majors.

If this team counts on Luke French in the rotation making any more than 1 or 2 emergency starts this year we are most likely staring 100 loses in the face.

stringer bell
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
If this team counts on Luke French in the rotation making any more than 1 or 2 emergency starts this year we are most likely staring 100 loses in the face.
You're probably right, Dave. I guess that the in-house candidates are 1) Hendriks 2) Swarzak 3) Maloney 4) Diamond. I threw out French's name because he has ML experience and has pitched well.

ashburyjohn
04-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Who do you want to see replace Baker?
Terry Ryan. It's his job.

VodkaDave
04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
You're probably right, Dave. I guess that the in-house candidates are 1) Hendriks 2) Swarzak 3) Maloney 4) Diamond. I threw out French's name because he has ML experience and has pitched well.

Yeah, I mean he could be a capable starter for a start or two, but if that point comes it means that half of our rotation options are either hurt on ineffective, things would be pretty ugly at that point. At least he still has his youth, I just can't see him succeeding much in the majors though.

Westgaard66
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
dumb question, but what does LOOGY stand for?

Parker Hageman
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
LOOGY = Left-handed One Out GuY.

Westgaard66
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
grassy ass!

gunnarthor
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
dumb question, but what does LOOGY stand for?

Lefty One Out GuY

Shane Wahl
04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Hendriks is the guy for sure. This does mean that everyone moves up the depth chart though. So, DeVries is someone to watch. As is Luke French. I would rather Swarzak see time as a middle relief pitcher for the bullpen. Diamond is better than his 2011 numbers suggest. And he is off to a good start this year. With Waldrop and Slama, the Twins may (should) be saying bye-bye to Maloney and Gray.

itstimetotakeit
04-12-2012, 12:59 AM

Moore would probably be a tough get.

Hendricks is the answer. The kid just got his chance to make a MLB statement. I hope he runs with it.

Are you a troll or just stupid? Good god child.

grubah
04-12-2012, 06:39 AM
While I think Hendricks has more upside, I think the Twins would be best served to get him some AAA starts the first part of this season. For that reason only, I would roll with Swarzak through May (unless he performs terribly).

VodkaDave
04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
While I think Hendricks has more upside, I think the Twins would be best served to get him some AAA starts the first part of this season. For that reason only, I would roll with Swarzak through May (unless he performs terribly).

The problem with rolling with Swarzak over Hendriks at this point is that you take away potentially one of the better arms in an already shaky at best bullpen.

gil4
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Not Verlander?

Loosey
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I know this idea will get shot down by most on this board but my thought would be to give Perkins another shot at being a starter. He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years and has learned how to pitch, not just throw. He is turning into a great reliever who can throw in the mid 90's, I wonder what type of velocity he could maintain over 7+ innings every 5 days? My biggest concern isn't that he can't do it, my biggest concern is that our best bullpen pitcher would be out of the bullpen. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

nokomismod
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
I was just thinking about SlowRide too. I do wish the Twins weren't so stubborn about certain personalities. Slowey wasn't a great pitcher, but he was affordable and better than nothing.

nokomismod
04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd also think about giving Duensing another shot.

Steve Lein
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I think the replacement should come from outside the organization. Put a little urgency into the plan that needs to be endorsed as suggested by LaVelle E. Neal III, here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/146905625.html

This likely means trading away a good prospect or two or three, which I won't necessarily like depending on whom it would be, but it's something that just might have to be done. While I'd like to see Roy Oswalt signed (go ahead, bash me for that), it sounds like it's not very likely. But he's about the only "free agent" at this point whom would be worth anything.

I think they have to do something though. There were a lot of empty seats at the game yesterday already (in fact, on the radio this morning it was said it was the lowest attendance ever at Target Field, even worse than September last year), and it was only the 2nd home game of the year. That doesn't bode very well for the Pohlad's bottom line...

diehardtwinsfan
04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I think the replacement should come from outside the organization. Put a little urgency into the plan that needs to be endorsed as suggested by LaVelle E. Neal III, here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/146905625.html

This likely means trading away a good prospect or two or three, which I won't necessarily like depending on whom it would be, but it's something that just might have to be done. While I'd like to see Roy Oswalt signed (go ahead, bash me for that), it sounds like it's not very likely. But he's about the only "free agent" at this point whom would be worth anything.

I think they have to do something though. There were a lot of empty seats at the game yesterday already (in fact, on the radio this morning it was said it was the lowest attendance ever at Target Field, even worse than September last year), and it was only the 2nd home game of the year. That doesn't bode very well for the Pohlad's bottom line...

the question is whether baker's contract was insurred... if it was, you probably have pretty close to what you need to sign Oswalt... that's probably my choice personally, though I doubt the Pohlads do it, nor should they if this team cannot compete...

alarp33
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
the question is whether baker's contract was insurred... if it was, you probably have pretty close to what you need to sign Oswalt... that's probably my choice personally, though I doubt the Pohlads do it, nor should they if this team cannot compete...

What in the world makes people think Roy Oswalt would have any interest in signing with the Twins?? My god people, he turned down offers from the Red Sox, Cardinals, etc. He is content waiting till June before signing with a CONTENDER

CDog
04-12-2012, 10:19 AM

It was c-o-l-d! I'm rarely affected by cooler temps, but last night was pretty darn chilly. In general, their low attendances have come early in the year, rather than late. I think there was even a non-sellout in the opening series of Year 1.

Steve Lein
04-12-2012, 11:17 AM
It was c-o-l-d! I'm rarely affected by cooler temps, but last night was pretty darn chilly. In general, their low attendances have come early in the year, rather than late. I think there was even a non-sellout in the opening series of Year 1.

It wasn't that cold, CDog. We're Minnesotans for christ sake, break out the long-johns. The teams play last year and the attendance at the end of it, are already carrying over. If not going to the game because it's cold is affecting the 2nd home game of the year, attendance is going to be bad all year (relative to most of the first 2 seasons). Yes, there was the non sellout in year one, but there were still over 37,000 fans at the game that wasn't a sellout. There we're 31,000 there yesterday. Believe it or not, that's a significant difference. Several upper-deck sections were empty, and a few on the 2nd level. Empty rows of seats absolutely everywhere.

Steve Lein
04-12-2012, 11:24 AM
What in the world makes people think Roy Oswalt would have any interest in signing with the Twins?? My god people, he turned down offers from the Red Sox, Cardinals, etc. He is content waiting till June before signing with a CONTENDER

Oswalt has said he'd need about 60 days to get ready to pitch in the majors after signing. 60 days from now, is June. So he has to sign soon with someone. Also, he's not going to get Edwin Jackson money, he'll get Andy Pettitte money so it's not like they'd be wasting a big pile of it.

Ya, he might not be interested, but it seems other teams whom would be those "contenders", have become uninterested as well. I can hope, right?

SweetOne69
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Officially the paid attendance was over 31,000. So I highly doubt it was the lowest ever.

Steve Lein
04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially the paid attendance was over 31,000. So I highly doubt it was the lowest ever.

Highly doubting it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Lowest attendance # last year was 34,228, here are the numbers:

2010: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2010-schedule-scores.shtml
2011: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2011-schedule-scores.shtml
2012: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

TwinsFan01
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I know this idea will get shot down by most on this board but my thought would be to give Perkins another shot at being a starter. He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years and has learned how to pitch, not just throw. He is turning into a great reliever who can throw in the mid 90's, I wonder what type of velocity he could maintain over 7+ innings every 5 days? My biggest concern isn't that he can't do it, my biggest concern is that our best bullpen pitcher would be out of the bullpen. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

I agree that Perkins has probably earned another shot at starting; however, moving him would further weaken the bullpen. And given what we've seen of our starters so far, that just seems like a scary prospect to me.
Much as I'd like to see them bring some help in from the outside, as long as the Twins are committed to 'rebuilding' mode, I can't imagine them making a meaningful investment in either the starting rotation or the 'pen. I'm afraid this season, what we've seen so far is what we get.

CDog
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
It wasn't that cold, CDog. We're Minnesotans for christ sake, break out the long-johns. The teams play last year and the attendance at the end of it, are already carrying over. If not going to the game because it's cold is affecting the 2nd home game of the year, attendance is going to be bad all year (relative to most of the first 2 seasons). Yes, there was the non sellout in year one, but there were still over 37,000 fans at the game that wasn't a sellout. There we're 31,000 there yesterday. Believe it or not, that's a significant difference. Several upper-deck sections were empty, and a few on the 2nd level. Empty rows of seats absolutely everywhere.

I was there. It was cold. I'm from Minnesota, lived here my whole life, rarely get cold outside. Gettin' all tough guy about it doesn't change it. I also looked around during some breaks in the action and actually laughed out loud at the overwhelming sea of cold body language around me. Obviously being the lowest attendance ever isn't good, but it's been the pattern in the short history that early in the year isn't as well attended as later on.

diehardtwinsfan
04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Did you even read my last line? "nor should they if this team cannot compete." Kind of solves that issue doesn't it? The Twins shouldn't even bother if they aren't contending... and yes, I agree he wouldn't sign in that scenario either.

Steve Lein
04-12-2012, 02:56 PM
but it's been the pattern in the short history that early in the year isn't as well attended as later on.

Look at the links I provided for attendance numbers, I don't find this statement to be true. Very minimal, at best, compared to the amount that was there yesterday.

And sorry, I wasn't cold there yesterday, so to each his own (and I was NOT wearing long-johns).

Riverbrian
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I just want to say that this is my 100th post.

I have nothing important to add to this discussion and that is also true of the other 99 posts that I made.

Once... Again... This is my 100th post. Congrats are in order.

I'm sorry about the interuption... Please return safely to your interesting discussion on Minnesota April Temperatures.
P.S. Does anyone know how many posts I have to make to reach the AA level?

Dilligaf69
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Marquis is a batting practice pitcher that should be released. Slowey is 100% better than Marquis but our clueless gm values nice guys because they get along with gardy. Bring up guys from our poor minor league system to get the innings since they will lose 110 games regardless.

He is?????? the same SloJam that was 0-8 or whatever last yr??? or the the Slowey who's wrist will likely never be the same thus never being close to the same pitcher he was before the surgery which was a 3rd or 4th starter at best anyway..that Kevin Slowey??

Boom Boom
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Ben Revere? It won't matter who pitches now that the Dragon is awake.

Dilligaf69
04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I was just thinking about SlowRide too. I do wish the Twins weren't so stubborn about certain personalities. Slowey wasn't a great pitcher, but he was affordable and better than nothing.

Great reason...c'mon guys really you can't really be missing Kevin Slowey...JEEZ!

Dunn
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Livan is already pitching somewhere. Arizona maybe? I agree with John, I just can't find the nerve to trust Swarzak, so I say give Hendriks the chance. They have rushed ever other starter the last 2-3 years so why not continue the trend. And he actually looked good in the Spring (though Mr. Gleeman might tell me to take my Spring opinion and shove it). Although I think Spring does matter when you are trying to make a team. Maybe not for sure starters that are getting work in, but guys on the fence, absolutely.

CDog
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Look at the links I provided for attendance numbers, I don't find this statement to be true. Very minimal, at best, compared to the amount that was there yesterday.

And sorry, I wasn't cold there yesterday, so to each his own (and I was NOT wearing long-johns).

Already looked at them. In 2010, the attendance increased noticeably and the average attendance by month is increasing from April to August, with a tiny fall off in September. It's not as pronounced in 2011, but the average attendance by month is once again monotonically increasing until the September fall off. Last night's attendance was so far below the previous low that it's really quite striking, so we agree there. But the fact of increasing attendance as we get toward summer has been the "rule" (two prior seasons is obviously not a huge set of data).

Steve Lein
04-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't find the increase you're citing as being "increased noticeably" to be significant, the numbers just aren't big enough in difference, and all of them were considered "sellouts", or just short of. I think much of the increase can be attributed to them starting to sell SRO tickets. But the main point I'm making is the one you agree with. If the attendance increases by maybe the 2,000 max you're referencing as it gets warm, that's still just 33000+ people in the seats, which is not good. That would mean they likely average something like 32,000/game if this season follows the same curve as 2011, which equals an overall attendance of 2,592,000. A difference of almost 800-thousand fans through the gate. Average ticket price at Target Field is $33 dollars. So, that's basically $25 MIL in revenue right off the bat the Twins wouldn't get this year compared to 2010 and 11.

stringer bell
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
The Twins are going to have to make some decisions pretty soon. Marquis will move somebody out of the bullpen and the two guys who probably slid in because of Marquis' and Baker's unavailability (Burnett and Gray) have done nothing to get themselves demoted. Gray has two fluke victories and Burnett has thrown three good innings.

diehardtwinsfan
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Great reason...c'mon guys really you can't really be missing Kevin Slowey...JEEZ!

I'm not sure people miss him as much as they recognize that we gave him away, and that he was a cheaper option than what we have now with more upside... Maybe Marquis will do well, but his track record suggests that he will probably be slightly worse than league average.

I agree that Slowey was no sure thing, and his injury history is a bit scary too, but prior to that wrist injury, he was breaking out and looked like he could be another bakeresque type pitcher, which would have been nice to have. He hasn't been the same since that injury, and it's possible he may never be, but the odds of him being as good or better than Marquis are pretty good, and the odds of him being significantly worse are not nearly as good... and he cost less.

gunnarthor
04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Dilligaf69;9443]

I'm not sure people miss him as much as they recognize that we gave him away, and that he was a cheaper option than what we have now with more upside... Maybe Marquis will do well, but his track record suggests that he will probably be slightly worse than league average.

I agree that Slowey was no sure thing, and his injury history is a bit scary too, but prior to that wrist injury, he was breaking out and looked like he could be another bakeresque type pitcher, which would have been nice to have. He hasn't been the same since that injury, and it's possible he may never be, but the odds of him being as good or better than Marquis are pretty good, and the odds of him being significantly worse are not nearly as good... and he cost less.

Marquis has been a better pitcher than Slowey. And the Twins are only paying him 250K more than Slowey's making this year.