PDA

View Full Version : Keith Law's updated top 50 list comes out tomorrow

cmb0252
07-17-2013, 04:51 PM
In May Keith Law released his updated top 25 list which featured Buxton at 2 and Sano at 6. No other Twins prospects made the list. Tomorrow he will be releasing an updated....well updated list that will also feature 25 additional prospects. My question to you is who will make it and where? Meyers still in the top 50 even with the injury? Kohl Stewart going to make it (yes, it will have draft prospects)? Will Rosario or J.O. sneak in?

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Buxton will be #1 and Sano will be #2.

Ok Sano will probably be like #5.

I think Rosario should be included (It will be close) and Berrios will be on the outside looking in. I expect the Twins to have four included. Stewart, Sano, Buxton, and Rosario. I'm not sure Meyer will make the cut with his injury status. Of course, Law could throw him in instead of Rosario. I'm just confident that there will be 4 Twins.

mike wants wins
07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
If I recall, he is not huge on Berrios. Buxton will be number 1, Sano around 7 or 8 I am guessing.

MichiganTwins
07-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Sano 4

diehardtwinsfan
07-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Law likes his tools. Buxton and Sano go 1-2.

I'm trying to remember where he had Meyer, but I thought he ranked him favorably. Wouldn't be surprised if he was an HM or in the 40s.

Seth Stohs
07-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I'd guess Buxton 1, Sano 4-6 range, and that's probably it, depending on how he feels about Stewart. I sense Meyer falls a little. Rosario is the sleeper possibility.

righty8383
07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Sano will be 3

cmb0252
07-17-2013, 07:26 PM
I'd guess Buxton 1, Sano 4-6 range, and that's probably it, depending on how he feels about Stewart. I sense Meyer falls a little. Rosario is the sleeper possibility.

Law had Meyers at #61 to start the year so after his injury I doubt he makes it. Also, Law had Rosario at 65 to start the year so I could see him sneaking into the top 50.

I'm guessing Buxton #1, Sano #5, Rosario #45, and Stewart #47.

blairpaul715
07-17-2013, 08:41 PM
My two bits, I say Meyer will be in, so only 3 Twins prospects, Rosario being a 2nd basemen, they don't get rated as high usually, hurts him, and I think the top 3 picks in the draft make top 50, but Stewart and the next few picks are really interchangeable as far as where they could have been drafted, so I don't think anyone after the top 3 make it, will see tomorrow :)

clutterheart
07-17-2013, 09:36 PM
I think both Sano and Meyer will start dropping
And I have a real hard time saying Stewart is a top 50 prospect.

SydneyTwinsFan
07-17-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm guessing Buxton at #1, Sano somewhere in the top 5. Law described Sano as putting on the best BP at the futures game, so clearly likes his hit/power tools. Interested to see if he has more confidence in Sano sticking at 3rd now.
I suspect Rosario and Meyer will be honorable mentions, although one might sneak in towards the bottom. I don't expect to see Stewart or Berrios.

amjgt
07-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm guessing Buxton at #1, Sano somewhere in the top 5. Law described Sano as putting on the best BP at the futures game, so clearly likes his hit/power tools. Interested to see if he has more confidence in Sano sticking at 3rd now.
I suspect Rosario and Meyer will be honorable mentions, although one might sneak in towards the bottom. I don't expect to see Stewart or Berrios.

Here are a few of those BP swings
2013 MLB All Star Game Futures Game Batting Practice - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFcy1I6wkw)

and an article on the topic:
2013 Futures Game: Twins prospects steal the show during BP - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22758475/futures-game-twins-prospects-steal-the-show-during-bp)

Mark_RM
07-17-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm guessing Rosario sneaks into his top 50. He's always been high on him...had him in his top 100 earlier than others and Rosario seems to have handled the jump to AA well.

Okie
07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Buxton: 1
Sano: 4
Stewart: 30
Meyer: 38
Rosario: 41

Not bad.

hawkeye forever
07-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Not bad.

I'll definitely take that. Am surprised to see Stewart that high.

crarko
07-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Not bad.

There's an understatement. :)

Joe A. Preusser
07-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Not bad.

Was this the actual?

Okie
07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Was this the actual?

Yes, I couldn't find it on the website, but he linked it on Twitter about an hour ago. Also, I'm not really sure what the rules on here are for posting articles involving subscriptions, so that's why I didn't include the descriptions.

BCTwins
07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm very new to the prospects discussion, but wouldn't it be considered a sign of great organizational strength to have five guys in the top 100? To have five guys in the (almost) top 40 seems incredible to me. Just awesome.

gunnarthor
07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I'll definitely take that. Am surprised to see Stewart that high.

Remember, some scouts thought he had higher upside than either Appel or Gray. Crawfishboxes (Astros sportsnation blog) quoted a ML area scout who said Stewart was the best pitcher in the draft. BA said similar things. He's a really nice pick.

Joe A. Preusser
Yes, I couldn't find it on the website, but he linked it on Twitter about an hour ago. Also, I'm not really sure what the rules on here are for posting articles involving subscriptions, so that's why I didn't include the descriptions.

Forget the descriptions, those rankings are excellent. When you add in our quality depth, it would be hard not to rank our minor league system as the best overall. Now Ryan just needs to add another piece at the deadline and we need to draft well next year because I hope it is the last year for a while we have a top 5 pick.

gunnarthor

You can summarize and post small excerpts but can't cut and paste.

ashburyjohn
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Also, I'm not really sure what the rules on here are for posting articles involving subscriptions, so that's why I didn't include the descriptions.

The Comments Policy (http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twins-talk/5759-updated-comment-policy.html) is pretty clear about this, and not just for pay sites:

Not allowed... 5. Copying entire stories from elsewhere on the internet. This is copyrighted content, and we want to respect that. If you're pulling a quote or an example to give people a taste of a story, that's fine. If you're copying everything because you're too lazy to summarize yourself, that's not fine.

If it ever becomes a problem and has to be addressed in the Policy, I'm sure it would say that pay sites need to be even more restrictive on what constitutes fair use.

Okie
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I definitely didn't expect us to have 5 guys in the top 41. When you add in the fact that Hicks, Arcia, and Gibson "graduated" from the list already this year, it is really incredible.

righty8383
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Here's a link (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9483033/byron-buxton-minnesota-twins-new-no-1-prospect-baseball-mlb) to the list. Insiders only of course. I will share one quote that might make people smile.

He'll always strike out a lot, but that's the nature of the game today, especially when you have this kind of prodigious raw power. When Sano squares one up, Twins fans feel the earth move.

righty8383
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm sure some people will disagree with the inclusion of guys like Stewart and other recent draft picks who have little to no professional experience, and I can understand that. However, Keith Law makes it clear in his intro that these rankings are by and large based on upside/ceiling. So proximity to the majors is not really a factor.

mike wants wins
07-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow, I didn't see that many in the top 50. Let's hope they all work out. I really want to see good baseball up here again. I'm surprised the shoulder injury did not come up with Meyer, and push him down.

Joe A. Preusser
07-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I have to add that I am very happy that Rosario is rated so high. I see him pushing Doz out of 2B as early as next year after his hot start in AA. He makes Sano's "slow" start to AA more palatable.

drjim
07-18-2013, 11:00 AM
The Comments Policy (http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twins-talk/5759-updated-comment-policy.html) is pretty clear about this, and not just for pay sites:

Not allowed... 5. Copying entire stories from elsewhere on the internet. This is copyrighted content, and we want to respect that. If you're pulling a quote or an example to give people a taste of a story, that's fine. If you're copying everything because you're too lazy to summarize yourself, that's not fine.

If it ever becomes a problem and has to be addressed in the Policy, I'm sure it would say that pay sites need to be even more restrictive on what constitutes fair use.

I'll add that Keith Law has explicitly said that he encourages posting excerpts from his article as long as the link is included. It matches perfectly with the policy here.

ThePuck
07-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm sure some people will disagree with the inclusion of guys like Stewart and other recent draft picks who have little to no professional experience, and I can understand that. However, Keith Law makes it clear in his intro that these rankings are by and large based on upside/ceiling. So proximity to the majors is not really a factor.

Honestly, I would have been surprised if Stewart wasn't ranked around where he was. I think he's going to be a top notch pitcher, I really do.

drjim
07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Forget the descriptions, those rankings are excellent. When you add in our quality depth, it would be hard not to rank our minor league system as the best overall. Now Ryan just needs to add another piece at the deadline and we need to draft well next year because I hope it is the last year for a while we have a top 5 pick.

The system is an easy #1 right now.

If you read the mainstream guys they continually quote scouts of how the Twins are similar to the Rangers of 2007-2008.

Seth Stohs
07-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I would have been surprised if Stewart wasn't ranked around where he was. I think he's going to be a top notch pitcher, I really do.

And, for what it's worth, if you're the #4 overall pick, you really need to be a Top 50 type.

nicksaviking
07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Can anyone share where Appel, Gray and Bryant landed?

ThePuck
07-18-2013, 11:18 AM
And, for what it's worth, if you're the #4 overall pick, you really need to be a Top 50 type.

You defintely should be, yes. I believe Buxton was last year too.

Okie
07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Can anyone share where Appel, Gray and Bryant landed?
Appel: 9
Bryant: 15
Gray: 22

markos
07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
The system is an easy #1 right now.

If you read the mainstream guys they continually quote scouts of how the Twins are similar to the Rangers of 2007-2008.

I think it is really close between the Twins and Houston, with Boston and Pittsburgh right there as well. The prospects rankings seem very top heavy right now. It seems like those 4 teams have about half the top-prospects in baseball.

markos
07-18-2013, 11:27 AM

I was trying to guess this on draft night. After some discussions with some other people and looking back at some of the recent top high school pitchers, we guessed somewhere in the 40s. I think that is about where Fried was and slightly worse than Bradley.

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Not bad.

One spot short of having five players in the top 40.

Not bad, indeed.

diehardtwinsfan
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm very new to the prospects discussion, but wouldn't it be considered a sign of great organizational strength to have five guys in the top 100? To have five guys in the (almost) top 40 seems incredible to me. Just awesome.

There's 30 teams... so yes. It means that we have five guys that would be top prospects on a lot of teams.

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Twins 5 prospects in the top 50 (tied with the Astros)
Rest of AL Central combined 4 prospects.

righty8383
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
The Astros also had 5 players. But the Twins players had a higher average ranking.

Okie
07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
The Astros also had 5 players. But the Twins players had a higher average ranking.
Plus we have Hicks, Arcia, and Gibson who are basically still good prospects.

Mark_RM
07-18-2013, 12:21 PM
I think it is really close between the Twins and Houston, with Boston and Pittsburgh right there as well. The prospects rankings seem very top heavy right now. It seems like those 4 teams have about half the top-prospects in baseball.

Quite top heavy. Twins, Astros, Boston, Cubs and Pitt have 21 of Keith's top 50.

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Quite top heavy. Twins, Astros, Boston, Cubs and Pitt have 21 of Keith's top 50.

Twins, Astros, Pitt, and Cubs have been bat for several years so it doesn't surprise me we have a lot of the top guys. Losing does bring some value!

I do like that our top talents comes from a mix of ways. Buxton/Stewart high draft picks. Rosario a 4th rounder. Meyers a trade. Sano international signing. Add in Hicks/Gibson (other first rounders) and Arcia (international signing) who were promoted and we have done a pretty good job.

Badsmerf
07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Pitt having that many good prospects on an already good team...

Mark_RM
07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Pitt having that many good prospects on an already good team...

Same can be said for Boston. Both seem like good trade partners for the Twins...

Steve Penz
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Minor League Ball Top 75 Prospects: Mid-Season Update - Minor League Ball (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/18/4534646/minor-league-ball-top-75-prospects-mid-season-update)

Sickels posted his list today but he does not have Stewart or any of the other recent draft picks. I guess his criteria involves a bit more pro playing time.

Opinions please- what others could make it on to these lists at the end of the season? Berrios, May, Kepler, Polanco, Walker? Are they of that level?

nicksaviking
07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Minor League Ball Top 75 Prospects: Mid-Season Update - Minor League Ball (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/18/4534646/minor-league-ball-top-75-prospects-mid-season-update)

Sickels posted his list today but he does not have Stewart or any of the other recent draft picks. I guess his criteria involves a bit more pro playing time.

Opinions please- what others could make it on to these lists at the end of the season? Berrios, May, Kepler, Polanco, Walker? Are they of that level?

I'll bet Polanco will be on many lists by the end of the year. If he was at SS right now he almost surely would be. These guys love them some SS. All could make a case though, promotions before the end of the year could help too.

Steve Penz
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I'll bet Polanco will be on many lists by the end of the year. If he was at SS right now he almost surely would be. These guys love them some SS. All could make a case though, promotions before the end of the year could help too.

Is Goodrum's arm that much better? Could Polanco be a legit SS? His playing time seems half 2nd, half ss.

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
A couple Twins notes from law's chat:

Settle an argument between myself and my brother in-law please. Is your ranking of Springer much lower than Sano completely a reflection of his strikeout potential? Are Springers numbers inflated at all this year due to him playing in AAA?
Klaw (1:57 PM)

Reflection of his lack of a two-strike approach, and the chance Sano stays on the dirt while Springer is already in the outfield.

Any thoughts on JO Berrious seems like a top 100 guy with potential to be 2/3 starter or does his height hold him back. MN Fans are screaming Pedro-jokes
Klaw (2:14 PM)

I think he'll also be too flyball/homer-prone. He ain't Pedro.

Surprised to see 4 recent 2013 draftees on the list given the suspect nature of the draft. How many same-year draftees would normally make this post-draft list?
Klaw (1:09 PM)

I think that was fewer than last year's top 50. Offseason top 100 usually has 12-17 guys from the most recent draft, I think.

TheLeviathan
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow, I'm surprised with not having pitched for a couple months that Meyer is at 38.

I think I'm going to go buy my Rosario jersey now, if nothing else for the power of positive thinking regarding our future middle infield.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Who had two? I doubt the White Sox had any and imagine Castellanos from Detroit made it. Between Cleveland and Kansas City, I'd like to know who's closer.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Outside of the 5 in the top 41 the talent for us kind of drops off. I don't think we'd have any other guys in the top 100. Berrios is fringe and I think Jorge Polanco would also be close, but not there. If you go strictly by tools maybe Max Kepler-Rozycki too, but he's not performing well enough.

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Who had two? I doubt the White Sox had any and imagine Castellanos from Detroit made it. Between Cleveland and Kansas City, I'd like to know who's closer.

White Sox have zero and Law actually mentioned there is a good chance they will have zero when he does his top 100 at the end of the year.
Indians have one in Lindor (5)
Tigers have one in Castellanos (22)
Royals have two in Zimmer (14) and Mondesi (40)

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Outside of the 5 in the top 41 the talent for us kind of drops off. I don't think we'd have any other guys in the top 100. Berrios is fringe and I think Jorge Polanco would also be close, but not there. If you go strictly by tools maybe Max Kepler-Rozycki too, but he's not performing well enough.

Kepler, Polanco, and Berrios are all fringe top 100 guys as you said. I'm sure they will sneak on a few lists if they finish the year strong. Even if they don't having 5 in the top 100 (top 41 for Law) is still very impressive. Especially if you take into account that we graduated three of Law's top 60 prospects this year in Gibson (41), Hicks (49) and Arcia (59). Add in most likely a high draft pick in a deep draft next year and its pretty hard not to get excited about our young guys.

diehardtwinsfan
07-18-2013, 06:47 PM

He didn't include them. In the comments he mentioned he'd likely have Appel, Gray, and Bryant in the top 50. He didn't mention Stewart/

cmb0252
07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
He didn't include them. In the comments he mentioned he'd likely have Appel, Gray, and Bryant in the top 50. He didn't mention Stewart/

Unlike Law or BA Sickels is always more conservative when ranking high school players. He had Buxton ranked 37 to start the year while BA had him at 10 and Law had him in the early 20s.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Ranking recent draftees is pointless IMO, we already know the potential upside etc of those guys.

birdwatcher
07-18-2013, 07:08 PM

This is possibly the most encouraging thing of all.

birdwatcher
07-18-2013, 07:19 PM

My guess would be Cleveland had Lindor, Detroit had Castellanos, and KC had Ventura and Zimmer?

Oxtung
07-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Another prospect that seems to be flying under the radar, a la Arcia, is Pinto. At 24 he is a little old for his league but he is also a catcher and IIRC they tend to develop slower. After a rough couple years at A ball he had a very nice season at Fort Meyers last year and is destroying New Britain this year.

If anyone is ever looking for a question to ask in a chat see if you can figure out what it is that evaluators don't like about Pinto.

diehardtwinsfan
07-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Another prospect that seems to be flying under the radar, a la Arcia, is Pinto. At 24 he is a little old for his league but he is also a catcher and IIRC they tend to develop slower. After a rough couple years at A ball he had a very nice season at Fort Meyers last year and is destroying New Britain this year.

If anyone is ever looking for a question to ask in a chat see if you can figure out what it is that evaluators don't like about Pinto.

Tend to agree with this. He's another guy I could see at the bottom of some top 100 lists. Seems to be blossoming much like Ramos. Defense is there and offense looks good. 24 in AA is also not bad either... especially with an OPS around .900.

Steve Penz
07-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I cannot believe I forgot pinto. what about May? Too many walks?

Monkeypaws
07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
A steady stream of above average to excellent talent bubbling up from the minors. Music to my ears.

I remember back in 2004 the Twins were winning and also had one of the better systems per BA, and were named organization of the year. We got half the equation so far.

I just hope guys like Walker, Hicks, Stewart, Berrios, Vargas, Kepler, etc. can keep the ball rolling as the cream gets skimmed off the top. A lousy finish to the season will at least bring in another 5 star prospect hopefully.

diehardtwinsfan
07-19-2013, 05:49 AM
A steady stream of above average to excellent talent bubbling up from the minors. Music to my ears.

I remember back in 2004 the Twins were winning and also had one of the better systems per BA, and were named organization of the year. We got half the equation so far.

I just hope guys like Walker, Hicks, Stewart, Berrios, Vargas, Kepler, etc. can keep the ball rolling as the cream gets skimmed off the top. A lousy finish to the season will at least bring in another 5 star prospect hopefully.

One of the problems with short circuiting/accelerating a rebuild is not getting those 5 star prospects. They should pick up another pretty high ceiling kid next year, though despite this recent slump they are still sitting at 7 overall, where I'd imagine elite talent will be gone.

mike wants wins
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Very deep draft next year, 7 should yield an elite prospect.