PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Gonsalves

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-05-2013, 02:57 PM
In my quest to find a quality southpaw for the Twins I am adopting Gonsalves to go along with Brett Lee as my "adopt-a-prospects".

As most of you know, Stephen was the Twins 4th round pick (110 overall). He slipped in the draft--from a late first or early second round pick because of a minor marijuana incident and questions about his upside.

Stephen is just a kid--he turns 19 on Monday (7/8). He is a big dude--6'5" but very skinny--just 185 pounds. He is from southern California and went to San Diego Central Catholic HS where he was a dominant pitcher his junior year (10-0 with an ERA of 1.91). He had 79Ks in 66IP. His senior year was less dominant due to a suspension (marijuana incident). Still 6 wins with a 2.19 ERA and 55Ks in 48IP. I take HS stats with very few grains...level of competition, etc.

Stephen is now with the GCL Twins but has not made an appearance (at least I cant find one). I will post updates whenever he pitches...

Now for the questions about his upside...Stephen has a build like Randy Johnson but doesn't yet have Randy's fastball...depending on which reports you read--his fastball tops out at 89MPH or 92MPH. Good enough to get HS kids out...but not much else. He has mediocre curve and change and is working on a slider...

Most reports I read project Stephen as a bottom of the rotation starter...like Diamond??? All of this is meaningless now. It is up to Stephen and the Twins pitching gurus to get him to improve his stuff (and control) and probably add 20-30 pounds in the next year or two. IMHO the key year in Stephen's development is probably next season (2014) at Cedar Rapids?? Meanwhile, he will get some chances hopefully in July and August in Florida.

diehardtwinsfan
07-05-2013, 07:14 PM
He's in HS, so adding a few ticks to the FB isn't all that unusual. He could be up to 95 in a few years, or could go the Twins route and be throwing 85.

He had his debut today.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-05-2013, 09:12 PM
He's in HS, so adding a few ticks to the FB isn't all that unusual. He could be up to 95 in a few years, or could go the Twins route and be throwing 85.

He had his debut today.

You beat me to the punch--as it turned out both of my "adopted prospects" pitched today...you are right...he could develop into a 95 MPH fastball pitcher...or the Twins way...run into arm difficulties and become mediocre...for how he did see below...

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Steven Gonsalves update #1

Steven made his professional debut tonight in rainy Florida...it looks like all GCL games were hit by rain. The GCL Twins game vs the GCL BoSox was called after 3 innings with the score 0-0. It will be picked up tomorrow. Stephen pitched 2 innings. He faced 10 batters. He walked 2. He gave up 2 hits. He didn't allow a run. He had 3 groundouts and 3Ks. So his K/BB ratio is 1.5. His groundout to fly ball ratio is infinite (very small sample size). All in all not a bad debut...his record for 2013 is 0-0 with an 0.00 ERA.

SoCal Twin
07-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Stephen's suspension was not due to a marijuana incident but for not telling on his teammates that were drinking beer. Zero tolerance school so even though he didn't partake he was disciplined. Great adoption!

diehardtwinsfan
07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Stephen's suspension was not due to a marijuana incident but for not telling on his teammates that were drinking beer. Zero tolerance school so even though he didn't partake he was disciplined. Great adoption!

If this was the reason he dropped on a lot of boards, then a lot of teams screwed up...

Jeremy Nygaard
07-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Not exactly how he told it to the media after being drafted. His words, paraphrased, were that he went to get his roommate out of a room where people were smoking weed. After he got back to Cali, he lied to the Dean about it and that's why he was suspended.

B Richard
07-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Really excited to see this guy get going. I don't mind the suspension issue at all. Showing that kind of loyalty isn't even an issue for me at all.

SoCal Twin
07-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I believe he was misunderstood the kid he went to get was drunk. There was a separate incident of 4 kids smoking dope and they were dismissed from the team.Yes he did lie cause he didn't want to get teammates in trouble. All in all he learned a valuable lesson. We believe the reason he dropped was due to the fact scouts did not see him throw for 4 weeks leading up to draft. Stephen is a stand up young man who will work hard and make the Twins Nation proud. I know I couldn't be any prouder as his father.

TNTwinsFan
07-08-2013, 09:21 PM
SoCal Twin, you must be a one proud papa! Best of luck to Steven! I can't speak for everyone here, but I for one would love to read posts from this young man's father on the regular. Please don't hesitate to provide your prospective as I believe they would offer an interesting perspective.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I believe he was misunderstood the kid he went to get was drunk. There was a separate incident of 4 kids smoking dope and they were dismissed from the team.Yes he did lie cause he didn't want to get teammates in trouble. All in all he learned a valuable lesson. We believe the reason he dropped was due to the fact scouts did not see him throw for 4 weeks leading up to draft. Stephen is a stand up young man who will work hard and make the Twins Nation proud. I know I couldn't be any prouder as his father.

Thanks for the clarification. After he signed, the text I got was that other scouts were "stunned" he signed so early, when they Twins weren't concerned about getting it done. I thought he was a steal on draft day and pairing him with Stewart is only going to help both of them. Excited to have him in the system and excited to hear from his dad. Keep us posted!

Jeremy Nygaard
07-08-2013, 10:11 PM
What I've been told about him dropping had to do with "not having a chance" to see the curveball come around due to the missed month. I think that lines up pretty well with what Papa said.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Steven Gonsalves Update #2:

Steven made his second GCL Twins appearance today. It was a near perfect 3 innings. (4-6). He definitely impressed and showed his upside. He got the win--stats for the day--3IP 0 runs, 0H, 1BB, 3Ks, 3 ground outs, 2 flyball outs. A few more appearances like this and he will move up on all of Seth's lists.

Steven's 2013 stats (2 appearances, 1 start). 5IP, 0 runs, 2hits, 6Ks to 3BB, 6 ground outs to 2 fly outs. Obviously his K/BB ratio is 2-1. His ground to fly ratio is 3-1. His WHIP is 1. very small sample size. Officially he is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA.

diehardtwinsfan
07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
He's fresh out of highschool and doing quite well in the GCL against competition that is on average older than him. That is a great sign. If Gonslaves, Stewart, and Thorpe keep this up, here's to hoping they get some Appy league exposure yet this year. All three of those kids have looked really good thus far.

diehardtwinsfan
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Please continue to post. It's always nice seeing the perspective of people close to the players.

dgwills
07-11-2013, 08:30 PM
He's fresh out of highschool and doing quite well in the GCL against competition that is on average older than him. That is a great sign. If Gonslaves, Stewart, and Thorpe keep this up, here's to hoping they get some Appy league exposure yet this year. All three of those kids have looked really good thus far.

Nice to see. I'm looking forward to watching these kids progress through the system. Hopefully up the prospect lists as well.

Monkeypaws
07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Loving the class of 2013 so far.

SoCal Twin
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Nice to see stephen off to a good start. I think he will really excel with good coaching. Did anyone see him throw or just reading the box score? Seems like forever since I've seen him pitch.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Nice to see stephen off to a good start. I think he will really excel with good coaching. Did anyone see him throw or just reading the box score? Seems like forever since I've seen him pitch.

It's funny you say that. Interesting perspective - which I have heard from others - and politically correct.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 3:

By the way, I write this from the box score and anything I can read about the game...where I live (MD suburbs of Washington DC) the only Twins affiliate that I have a chance of seeing live is New Britain (when they come to Bowie or Harrisburg)...maybe in 2014 I will adopt a prospect from New Britain but I like the ones I have...

Stephen made his 3rd GCL appearance today...he didn't get the start that went to Alex Wimmers (rehab??). Not his best but still pretty DAM good. Stephen pitched 3 innings (5-7) gave up his first professional run (on 2 hits--a single and a double). He struck out 4 and didn't walk anybody (or hit a batter either). He did make an inconsequential error on a pickoff attempt. He had 3 groundball outs and 1 flyout in addition to his 4Ks.

His 2013 (and career) totals--8IP, 1 Run (Earned), 4 hits, 3 BB and 10Ks. So his K/BB ratio is still outstanding (10-3). His ground/fly ratio remains 3/1 (9/3) and his WHIP is a miniscule 0.875. His official line is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA. All of this is outstanding and with each appearance I grow more optimistic about his future in the Twins organization...(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

Jeremy Nygaard
07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

Berrios and Buxton moved up to E-Town last year as they made their run into and through the playoffs. I definitely think that is possible, though I don't think either are as polished as Berrios was when he was drafted last year. I think it would make sense for the Twins to see these guys there (in Elizabethton) a little this year to give them a better idea if they could handle a full-season assignment next spring.

big dog
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Great to see him having such early success. I hope he can keep it up, and fight through the inevitable tough games that happen to everyone. Sounds like a pitcher with a lot of potential.

diehardtwinsfan
07-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.

AM.
07-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 3:

By the way, I write this from the box score and anything I can read about the game...where I live (MD suburbs of Washington DC) the only Twins affiliate that I have a chance of seeing live is New Britain (when they come to Bowie or Harrisburg)...maybe in 2014 I will adopt a prospect from New Britain but I like the ones I have...

Stephen made his 3rd GCL appearance today...he didn't get the start that went to Alex Wimmers (rehab??). Not his best but still pretty DAM good. Stephen pitched 3 innings (5-7) gave up his first professional run (on 2 hits--a single and a double). He struck out 4 and didn't walk anybody (or hit a batter either). He did make an inconsequential error on a pickoff attempt. He had 3 groundball outs and 1 flyout in addition to his 4Ks.

His 2013 (and career) totals--8IP, 1 Run (Earned), 4 hits, 3 BB and 10Ks. So his K/BB ratio is still outstanding (10-3). His ground/fly ratio remains 3/1 (9/3) and his WHIP is a miniscule 0.875. His official line is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA. All of this is outstanding and with each appearance I grow more optimistic about his future in the Twins organization...(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?

Last weekend in August sees NB come to Bowie...my son and I are thinking of going...depending on the arrival of the grandson who is due at that time...

cmathewson
07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Also, there is an analyst for ESPN who is so negative about him, we wondered about the analysts motivations. They're supposed to be unbiased, but this analyst was showed the most negative bias toward Stephen of any athlete in recent memory. I wonder if this analyst's opinion affected anybody. Probably not.

I thought he was perhaps the biggest steal of the draft. I like him better than Eades, whom we picked in the second round.

Monkeypaws
07-20-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.

Building a friendly competition sounds like a good plan.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Stephen Gonsalves update 4:

Stephen made his 4th professional appearance today--closing out the game--pitching the last 3.1 innings. He has now started once, thrown in the middle twice and closed once. The GCL Twins lost the game--it appears their defense was the cause (4 errors leading to 2 unearned runs). This all happened before Stephen took the mound. For the day, Stephen gave up 3 hits and a BB in his 3.1 IP (but no runs). He struck out 2, got 5 ground outs and 1 flyout. Pretty DAM impressive even if not his best performance as a pro.

For 2013 (and his career) Stephen has pitched 11.1 innings given up 1 earned run, 7 hits, 4 BBs and struck out12. That gives him the following outstanding ratios--K/BB 12-4 or 3-1; ground/fly of 14/4 which is 3.5/1 and a WHIP of 0.999. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.79. Looking more and more like a steal in the 4th round...and it will be interesting to watch him and Kohl Stewart the next 2 or 3 years as they move up the Twins minor league system.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 5

Stephen made his 5th professional appearance yesterday for the GCL Twins. It was his second start. He left with a 1-0 lead--but the GCL Twins lost the game as the pitchers who followed including Luke Bard didn't do as well. Stephen continued his impressive career but a couple of bad things showed up. He got 0 (nada, zilch) ground outs. His 9 outs were 3 fly ball outs and 6Ks. He also walked 3 (that's one per inning--not good). Still he only gave up 1 hit and no runs (earned or unearned) as well as averaging 2 strikeouts per inning.

For 2013 (and his career)--Stephen has pitched 14.1 innings (seems to be limited to 3IP per appearance) while giving up one earned run and 8 hits. He has walked 7 and struck out 18. That gives him the following outstanding ratios: K/BB 18-7 or 2.57. Ground to fly of 14/7 or 2; and a WHIP of 1.047. (All of these dropped after yesterday's appearance but are still outstanding. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.63.

By the way, has anybody else had trouble with extremely slow loading of Twins Daily??

nicksaviking
07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm no smarty pants computer guy, but I assume the slow loading is probably due to high traffic due to the trade deadline. It was also slow on draft day.

The GB% is a red flag, though I like the K%. Of course in short season league the K% is high for most guys. We'll see if that GB% improves once more guys start putting the ball in play. Or hopefully not.

Boone
07-31-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm no smarty pants computer guy, but I assume the slow loading is probably due to high traffic due to the trade deadline. It was also slow on draft day.

The GB% is a red flag, though I like the K%. Of course in short season league the K% is high for most guys. We'll see if that GB% improves once more guys start putting the ball in play. Or hopefully not.

I wouldn't worry about yesterday's 0GB:3FB ratio. Gonsalves currently has a 1.56 GB/FB ratio. While that's not stellar, it's pretty good, and would certainly qualify him at least as a moderate GB pitcher (albeit in a very small sample size).

Also, each of his previous appearance (there have been 4) have had at least a 1.50 GB:FB ratio.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks--good point on trade deadline day...

Monkeypaws
07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
How fast has be been on the gun?

Jeremy Nygaard
08-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Gonsalves just tweeted that tomorrow he'll be "one step closer" to Target Field. Flying from FM to Elizabethton. Aggressive promotion. I like it!

cmb0252
08-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Gonsalves just tweeted that tomorrow he'll be "one step closer" to Target Field. Flying from FM to Elizabethton. Aggressive promotion. I like it!

Great news! A lot of us thought he was a steal when we drafted him and he has looked great so far. The Twins system lacks high upside LH pitching like Gonsalves.

Monkeypaws
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM

That is interesting, all the more so because Stewart is staying in Florida, no?

cmb0252
08-02-2013, 06:27 PM
That is interesting, all the more so because Stewart is staying in Florida, no?

Stewart cut his foot and hasn't pitched in a week so. He is a start or two behind Gonsalves.

SoCal Twin
08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
We're very excited for Stephens early success. He's looking forward to the next test. Very excited we get to listen to the games on the computer:)) Go Elizabethon!!

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-03-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't "tweet"--as a soon-to-be grandfather (my first grandchild--a boy is due any day) I am too old to adapt quickly to new technology...

I tried MILB.com and Twins sites--could not find confirmation--but assume it is true and will be posted soon enough. Good for Stephen who is more and more looking like a steal in the draft. Will be checking E-Town boxscores looking for him. (Good news since my other "adopt a prospect" Brett Lee has joined Kohl Stewart on the 7 day DL.

Monkeypaws
08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't "tweet"--as a soon-to-be grandfather (my first grandchild--a boy is due any day) I am too old to adapt quickly to new technology...

I tried MILB.com and Twins sites--could not find confirmation--but assume it is true and will be posted soon enough. Good for Stephen who is more and more looking like a steal in the draft. Will be checking E-Town boxscores looking for him. (Good news since my other "adopt a prospect" Brett Lee has joined Kohl Stewart on the 7 day DL.

Words of wisdom - thank goodness for pot-smoking friends to lie for. :)

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-04-2013, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=DAM DC Twins Fans;147845
I tried MILB.com and Twins sites--could not find confirmation--but assume it is true and will be posted soon enough. Good for Stephen who is more and more looking like a steal in the draft. Will be checking E-Town boxscores looking for him. [/QUOTE]

Transaction posted this morning (8/4) on Appy League website...

Seth Stohs
08-04-2013, 02:51 PM
According to Brandon Warne, via Twitter:

The Twins promoted Stephen Gonsalves to Elizabethton, but he strained a hamstring while running in the outfield in first day w/ club.

drjim
08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
I like his tweet after the performance today:

5innings 1run 4hits 7ks no walks and got the win. Making it known that everyone that passed me made a mistake.

Monkeypaws
08-12-2013, 11:30 PM

Well, swagger is the word.

Twins Daily Admin
08-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Um, you had an OK start in rookie league kid. Might want to calm down a bit. I'd love to see you move quickly, but you had better be able to nurture that chip on your shoulder for several more year.

diehardtwinsfan
08-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Um, you had an OK start in rookie league kid. Might want to calm down a bit. I'd love to see you move quickly, but you had better be able to nurture that chip on your shoulder for several more year.

5 innings, 1 run, 7Ks, 4 hits? What's your definition of good? These rookie league guys don't typically go more than 4/5 innings as they restrict the pitch count more...

twinsnorth49
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Yeah, best not to show some confidence when your, like, 19 and all.

cmathewson
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Question: did Stewart also get promoted to E-ton? It would really be something if Stephen actually got promoted before the consensus best high school pitcher in the country. Also, I thought the Twins wanted to keep them together because of their friendship.

drjim
08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Question: did Stewart also get promoted to E-ton? It would really be something if Stephen actually got promoted before the consensus best high school pitcher in the country. Also, I thought the Twins wanted to keep them together because of their friendship.

DL time probably set Stewart back. I wouldn't be surprised if both end up in Cedar Rapids.

Dman
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
There is a long way to go but I think Stephen has it right. He should never have dropped to the 4th round given his potential. Giving teams that passed on him the first three rounds something to think about (insert middle finger here) with his play thus far, Priceless.

Confidence is a good thing. Over confidence is bad because you don't adapt and change. I think this is just confidence talking so far and I am happy he has it.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-13-2013, 01:19 PM

I agree--Stephen will hit the proverbial bump in the road--either this year (or next year at Cedar Rapids)--it happened to Sano at New Britain, to an extent it happened to Buxton. Yes, keep the chip on your shoulder, but don't get too cocky. By the way, I expect both Stephen and Stewart to be at Cedar Rapids next year.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 6:

First off--I don't tweet as a soon-to-be grandpa who is on Medicare--I don't adapt well to technology (:-). So thanks to whomever posted Stephen's tweet (yes a bit cocky, but good to see the attitude).

Second--the bad news--and it needs to be said--it may be only a little thing--Stephen's ground ball to fly ball ratio has taken a hit in his last two (otherwise outstanding) starts. Yesterday, Stephen got only 4 ground outs vs. 3 flies. For his year (and career) he has 18 ground outs to 10 fly outs. For the first time that ratio is under 2/1 and trending down. It may mean nothing. It may mean a future problem.

Now to Stephens Appy League debut. He pitched 5 innings (the first time over 3 in his career). He gave up one run--it was earned. He also gave up 4 hits. He got 7Ks and issued no walks. A truly outstanding Appy League debut and another sign that the Twins may have gotten a steal in the draft. The true test will come in 2014 (presumably at Cedar Rapids).

For the year (and his Twins career)--Stephen has made 3 starts in 6 appearances totaling 19.1 IP. He has given up 2 runs (both earned) 12 hits, walked 7 and struck out 25. That gives him a WHIP of almost exactly 1.0; an outstanding K/BB ratio of 3.57 and an ERA of 0.93. Yes, these ratios make him a steal in the 4th round so far!!

Pitz
08-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 6:

Second--the bad news--and it needs to be said--it may be only a little thing--Stephen's ground ball to fly ball ratio has taken a hit in his last two (otherwise outstanding) starts. Yesterday, Stephen got only 4 ground outs vs. 3 flies. For his year (and career) he has 18 ground outs to 10 fly outs. For the first time that ratio is under 2/1 and trending down. It may mean nothing. It may mean a future problem.

I would lean more toward the may mean nothing, part. At least at this point, it is far too small of a sample to really mean anything. I do appreciate your updates and the in depth information about groundouts and what not. It is very informative so thank you.

I looked at Stephen's game logs on baseball reference - which breaks down his ground balls, fly balls etc (this includes all balls put in play). Based on that info, Stephen's ground ball % would be 52.3% which would rank him in the top ten of major league pitchers, but of course he wouldn't qualify as again it is far too small of a sample.

All of that is to say that at this point, Stephen has been a fantastic pitcher. He's missing bats and inducing groundballs. Hopefully, he'll continue to have success as he faces tougher competition.

TwinsFan1000
08-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification. After he signed, the text I got was that other scouts were "stunned" he signed so early, when they Twins weren't concerned about getting it done. I thought he was a steal on draft day and pairing him with Stewart is only going to help both of them. Excited to have him in the system and excited to hear from his dad. Keep us posted!

I just read how well Stephen is doing in the minors in the paper and I thought I would explore and see what everyone is saying about him and I once again ran into the Cathedral suspension story on this page. I have heard a much different story about the Cathedral's incident in North Carolina from those who were directly involved (those who were suspended). I know its in the past and everyone has moved on but I don't think its fair to cover up for the "superstar" of the team. The story I was told was that there was beer drinking not one but two nights and those involved were caught on the second night. The 4 kids who made the poor decision to use marijuana, went into the woods, smoked the substance, and then went back inside their room to hangout and watch TV. After 30 minutes or so an assistant coach knocked on their door because they were alerted by loud banging noises that came from down the hall and they saw that their room light was on and it was late. The 4 kids admitted to their wrong doing and even told the coaches that there was drinking by most of the team as well. They were immediately suspended from the team and from school until their review boards the following week. In those review boards each told administrators what happened on the trip, even down to the minor details. They didn't feel comfortable "ratting out their teammates" and didnt give names but said the all but 4 or 5 players (Gonsalves wasn't one of those 4 or 5 players) drank on the trip and added that they were the only 4 who made the poor choice to use marijuana. Those kids were suspended for the remainder of the school year and were dismissed from the team. I have also heard that Gonsalves was heavily intoxicated both nights and the majority of the drinking the 2nd night was in his room. Soon after the review boards of the players that were initially caught on the trip every player was called in and questioned by administration. Almost everyone who was called in after the inital 4 review boards that drank beer those 2 nights lied about what they did and effectively "got away with it." Some of the guys admitted to drinking and were given one or two week suspensions from school and from the team. Gonsalves lied about drinking on both nights and lied about seeing teammates drinking. He was caught in his lie and was suspended from the team for 30 days. So much for ZERO tolerance. Him missing playing time is what caused him to lose draft stock. personally, I think dishonesty is worse than the acts themselves. All in all I think the punishments were too severe for all parties considering they are 17 and 18 year old High School Baseball players with little or no adult or coach supervision on the trip. I think it was about time that the cover be lifted on this story and the truth come out, not that I think the offenses were anything but minor anyways. The last time I talked to the players they have moved on from the incident and are ready for another year of school/baseball/life and I am glad to see Stephen is excelling and on his way up in the system.

diehardtwinsfan
08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
5innings 1run 4hits 7ks no walks and got the win. Making it known that everyone that passed me made a mistake.

Someone needs to tweet him Law's writeup. That ought to keep him going for a couple of years.

diehardtwinsfan
08-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I just read how well Stephen is doing in the minors in the paper and I thought I would explore and see what everyone is saying about him and I once again ran into the Cathedral suspension story on this page. I have heard a much different story about the Cathedral's incident in North Carolina from those who were directly involved (those who were suspended). I know its in the past and everyone has moved on but I don't think its fair to cover up for the "superstar" of the team. The story I was told was that there was beer drinking not one but two nights and those involved were caught on the second night. The 4 kids who made the poor decision to use marijuana, went into the woods, smoked the substance, and then went back inside their room to hangout and watch TV. After 30 minutes or so an assistant coach knocked on their door because they were alerted by loud banging noises that came from down the hall and they saw that their room light was on and it was late. The 4 kids admitted to their wrong doing and even told the coaches that there was drinking by most of the team as well. They were immediately suspended from the team and from school until their review boards the following week. In those review boards each told administrators what happened on the trip, even down to the minor details. They didn't feel comfortable "ratting out their teammates" and didnt give names but said the all but 4 or 5 players (Gonsalves wasn't one of those 4 or 5 players) drank on the trip and added that they were the only 4 who made the poor choice to use marijuana. Those kids were suspended for the remainder of the school year and were dismissed from the team. I have also heard that Gonsalves was heavily intoxicated both nights and the majority of the drinking the 2nd night was in his room. Soon after the review boards of the players that were initially caught on the trip every player was called in and questioned by administration. Almost everyone who was called in after the inital 4 review boards that drank beer those 2 nights lied about what they did and effectively "got away with it." Some of the guys admitted to drinking and were given one or two week suspensions from school and from the team. Gonsalves lied about drinking on both nights and lied about seeing teammates drinking. He was caught in his lie and was suspended from the team for 30 days. So much for ZERO tolerance. Him missing playing time is what caused him to lose draft stock. personally, I think dishonesty is worse than the acts themselves. All in all I think the punishments were too severe for all parties considering they are 17 and 18 year old High School Baseball players with little or no adult or coach supervision on the trip. I think it was about time that the cover be lifted on this story and the truth come out, not that I think the offenses were anything but minor anyways. The last time I talked to the players they have moved on from the incident and are ready for another year of school/baseball/life and I am glad to see Stephen is excelling and on his way up in the system.

The story on this page seems to contradict what you are saying here (that he wasn't drinking). I get it's underage and all, but it's beer. I cannot stand the stuff personally, but I can tell you from personal experience that baseball players like their beer (more so than most college students IMHO) and they pretty much all do the underage drinking thing. We can debate right from wrong here, but if this is his character flaw, it is the same flaw that I suspect 90% of the Twins' minor league system has (and everyone else for that matter too).

That said, if this is what made him fall. Great pick by the Twins.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update 7

Stephen made his 7th 2013 (and career) appearance tonight. It was his 4th start and his second start for E-Town. He only went 4 innings--I am assuming the Twins minor league pitching gurus are limiting him considering it is his professional debut and he did pitch HS ball this spring.

Stephen went 4 innings and will not be involved in the decision. As I type, the game is in the 7th inning and tied 1-1. Stephen pitched well--4IP, no runs, 3 hits, walked 2 and struck out 5. He has a unbelievable 30Ks in 23.1 IP for the 2013 season. The bad news--he continued his downward trend in ground/fly ratio (for 3rd straight game). He got only one ground out (and 2 fly outs). He also had a balk, a WP and a throwing error. All 3 in one game is not good. Maybe it suggests Stephen is only human. Still he had a great night--and still looks like a steal in the 4th round. Again the true test comes next year at Perfect Game Field (Cedar Rapids) for both him and Kohl.

For 2013 Stephen has pitched 23.1 innings, given up 2 runs (both earned) 15 hits, 9BB and gotten the 30Ks. His ground to fly ratio is still good (but trending down) 19/12 or 1.58 grounders/fly. His K/BB ratio is better than 3/1. His WHIP is 1.03. His ERA is less than 1 (0.77).

Larsbars08
08-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Gonsalves has looked very good. Looking like an excellent 4th round pick. It's good that he's dominating at the level, but it will be interesting to see how he does in full season ball next year.

On another note, can we stop worrying about what he may or may not have done as a high school senior. I really don't care what happened. God knows, I did stupid stuff, and I'm sure pretty much everyone else here is in the same boat.

Mr. Brooks
08-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Gonsalves has looked very good. Looking like an excellent 4th round pick. It's good that he's dominating at the level, but it will be interesting to see how he does in full season ball next year.

On another note, can we stop worrying about what he may or may not have done as a high school senior. I really don't care what happened. God knows, I did stupid stuff, and I'm sure pretty much everyone else here is in the same boat.

Agreed. That situation may have been an issue at one point, but it seems like a completely non issue now.
He is a professional now, and should be expected to act like one, and should be given a clean slate to do so.

I'm excited to have him in our system, and will be following him closely.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Stephen Gonsalves Update #8

Stephen made his third E-town start tonight. He was on the wrong end of a pitching duel and took his first professional loss as E-town dropped a 2-0 game. The E-town offense managed a grand total of 3 hits. For 2013 and his career Stephen is 2-1. Getting all the bad news out of the way--Stephen continued his bad ground/fly trend by getting only two ground outs to 3 fly outs. As some of you have expressed--this is minor--but it has been a trend at E-town--we shall see if it continues next year in Cedar Rapids where he will face better hitters (presumably).

The good news--the rest of his outing. Stephen pitched 5 innings--he struck out 9. He has 39Ks in 28.1 IP which is fantastic. In the 5 innings, he gave up 1 run (earned) 3 hits and walked 2. That is better numbers than almost anybody has put up with the Twins in any game all year. He definitely shows top of the rotation potential.

For the year (combining GCL and E-town) Stephen is 2-1 with an ERA of 0.95. (He has given up only 3 runs--all earned--in the 28.1 IP) His K/BB ratio is 39/11 or 3.55 Ks for every walk. His WHIP is 1.023. His ground/fly ratio (even with a downward trend at E-town) is 1.4 grounders to fly outs. These are all pretty DAM good if not outstanding. Still looking like a steal in the draft.

AM.
08-25-2013, 07:50 PM
DAM...did you make it to any of the Bowie games this weekend?

SoCal Twin
08-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Finally got the thrill to listen to stephen pitch on milb radio today. I have spent the last 13 years or so watching my kids play sports daughter soccer & Stephen baseball. Haven't seen stephen play in about 4 months so listening to it was awesome. Thought it was a gutsy outing and was impressed with the strikeouts not by fastballs but by off speed stuff. I love everyone's positive feedback I know he does as well. Our family & San Diego love being apart of Twins Nation!

diehardtwinsfan
08-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't worry much about ground out flyout ratios until after the season personally. Even if he is a flyball pitcher, if he gets a lot of Ks and minimizes his baserunners, he'll do just fine. Santana was a flyball pitcher and he earned a couple of Cy Young awards.

big dog
08-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Very encouraging- thanks for all the updates. I look forward to hearing a lot about him as he advances through the system.

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
DAM...did you make it to any of the Bowie games this weekend?

No...definitely going to see NB in Bowie next year. My son and I were planning on going but tough for him (both of us actually) with a 10 day old baby (his son, my grandson).

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't worry much about ground out flyout ratios until after the season personally. Even if he is a flyball pitcher, if he gets a lot of Ks and minimizes his baserunners, he'll do just fine. Santana was a flyball pitcher and he earned a couple of Cy Young awards.

I like your comparison--and yes Stephen gets a fantastic number of Ks...the question is will he continue to get the Ks as he moves up the Twins organization and faces hitters at Cedar Rapids who are much better than in the Appy League. None of us know the answer--we will find out next year.

diehardtwinsfan
08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
I like your comparison--and yes Stephen gets a fantastic number of Ks...the question is will he continue to get the Ks as he moves up the Twins organization and faces hitters at Cedar Rapids who are much better than in the Appy League. None of us know the answer--we will find out next year.

To be clear, I'm not comparing them. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to be an ace, or a very good pitcher, and be fly ball prone, especially if you get lots of Ks. I do hope the grounders come, and part of that may be as simple as getting more comfortable pitching low in the zone or developing an offspeed pitch that keeps hitters off balance... But at this stage, I'm not worried about it. What I want to see is him continuing to dominate talented hitters that are older than him, and right now he's doing that.

DAM DC Twins Fans
09-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Stephen Gonsalves wrap for 2013:

I don't know if I am supposed to do this or not--but I feel like I should. I am sure that Seth and Jeremy etc. will have lots more to say about Stephen in the offseason.

In any case, Stephen's debut year in the Twins organization is done. It was a great debut season. Stephen ended up with a 2-1 record and an ERA of 0.95. He pitched 28.1 innings in 8 appearances (5 starts). He gave up 18 hits and 11BB (a relatively high number--I think it shows he is effectively wild). The hits and walks give him a WHIP of 1.023. He struck out 39 batters that is 13 per 9 innings--an extremely high number. His ground/fly ratio was slightly under 1.5 grounders to flies...a good number...but after his promotion to E-town it dropped. Importantly, Stephen dominated whenever he pitched. He never hit a wall or even a bump in the road.

I am not sure I will be doing Stephen next year (he was my second adopt a prospect in 2013) but I will be following him. I see Stephen's potential as unlimited--to me his ceiling is Captain Cheeseburger (Sabathia) or Johan during his Twins career if you prefer. He could be the Twins ace in 2017. Next year in Cedar Rapids will tell us a lot. Will he hit the bump in the road?? Will he still dominate a better bunch of hitters?? I expect Stephen (and maybe Stewart) to both do well in Cedar Rapids and maybe get a promotion to Ft. Myers in 2014 (Stephen will turn 20 in July) pitch for New Britain in 2015 and maybe get a shot with the Twins in 2016. Three potential roadblocks in this path--the deterioration of the ground/fly ratio he experienced in E-town; his attitude--while it was nice to see the tweet and the cockiness--can he handle the bump in the road; the arm injuries that seem to affect many (most??) Twins pitching prospects...

Oxtung
09-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Stephen Gonsalves wrap for 2013:

I don't know if I am supposed to do this or not--but I feel like I should. I am sure that Seth and Jeremy etc. will have lots more to say about Stephen in the offseason.

In any case, Stephen's debut year in the Twins organization is done. It was a great debut season. Stephen ended up with a 2-1 record and an ERA of 0.95. He pitched 28.1 innings in 8 appearances (5 starts). He gave up 18 hits and 11BB (a relatively high number--I think it shows he is effectively wild). The hits and walks give him a WHIP of 1.023. He struck out 39 batters that is 13 per 9 innings--an extremely high number. His ground/fly ratio was slightly under 1.5 grounders to flies...a good number...but after his promotion to E-town it dropped. Importantly, Stephen dominated whenever he pitched. He never hit a wall or even a bump in the road.

I am not sure I will be doing Stephen next year (he was my second adopt a prospect in 2013) but I will be following him. I see Stephen's potential as unlimited--to me his ceiling is Captain Cheeseburger (Sabathia) or Johan during his Twins career if you prefer. He could be the Twins ace in 2017. Next year in Cedar Rapids will tell us a lot. Will he hit the bump in the road?? Will he still dominate a better bunch of hitters?? I expect Stephen (and maybe Stewart) to both do well in Cedar Rapids and maybe get a promotion to Ft. Myers in 2014 (Stephen will turn 20 in July) pitch for New Britain in 2015 and maybe get a shot with the Twins in 2016. Three potential roadblocks in this path--the deterioration of the ground/fly ratio he experienced in E-town; his attitude--while it was nice to see the tweet and the cockiness--can he handle the bump in the road; the arm injuries that seem to affect many (most??) Twins pitching prospects...

Whether or not your "supposed to", I appreciate it.

PseudoSABR
09-07-2013, 12:28 AM
:I don't know if I am supposed to do this or not--but I feel like I should. I am sure that Seth and Jeremy etc. will have lots more to say about Stephen in the offseason.Dude, don't doubt your efforts or your articulations. They are appreciated, I'm sure by everyone who reads them.

Shane Wahl
09-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I am mondo excited about Gonsalves. Good summary. It reminds me that I have to do the same for my adoptees.

Larsbars08
09-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Keith Law in his chat today mentioned that he saw Gonsalves with little projection and not really having much off-speed stuff. I know KLaw doesn't like Gonsalves. I don't really care about that and determining a player's projectability seems entirely subjective. However, the comment about the breaking ball is an entirely specific criticism. Does anyone know how his off-speed stuff is? He's got time to develop it, but more advanced hitting is going to eat him up if he can't develop one quickly.

AM.
09-07-2013, 05:48 AM
No...definitely going to see NB in Bowie next year. My son and I were planning on going but tough for him (both of us actually) with a 10 day old baby (his son, my grandson).

Congratulations, grandpa. First grandchild?

I managed to see Rosario go 5-5 and Sano hit 2HRs...but missed Meyer's return to AA. Next year, hopefully we'll get to see Buxton in Bowie.

Thanks for the great summary of Gonsalves. Looks very promising.

AM.
09-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Finally got the thrill to listen to stephen pitch on milb radio today. I have spent the last 13 years or so watching my kids play sports daughter soccer & Stephen baseball. Haven't seen stephen play in about 4 months so listening to it was awesome. Thought it was a gutsy outing and was impressed with the strikeouts not by fastballs but by off speed stuff. I love everyone's positive feedback I know he does as well. Our family & San Diego love being apart of Twins Nation!

Very cool. Thanks for posting. When the Twins drafted him, as a Twins fan you must have been doubly thrilled.

What is the plan for the off-season? Would be interesting to hear how much structure a prospect like Stephen is given by the organization during the off-season.

DAM DC Twins Fans
09-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Congratulations, grandpa. First grandchild?

I managed to see Rosario go 5-5 and Sano hit 2HRs...but missed Meyer's return to AA. Next year, hopefully we'll get to see Buxton in Bowie.

Thanks for the great summary of Gonsalves. Looks very promising.

You are welcome for the summary--Gonsalves will be an interesting prospect to follow. I am a first time grandpa--thanks for congrats--it is exciting. One guy told me he went from first time grandpa to six grandchildren in 3 years--YIKES....

I am looking forward to seeing Buxton next year and maybe some of the pitching prospects now at Ft. Myers and Cedar Rapids when New Britain come to Bowie.

nicksaviking
09-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Keith Law in his chat today mentioned that he saw Gonsalves with little projection and not really having much off-speed stuff. I know KLaw doesn't like Gonsalves. I don't really care about that and determining a player's projectability seems entirely subjective. However, the comment about the breaking ball is an entirely specific criticism. Does anyone know how his off-speed stuff is? He's got time to develop it, but more advanced hitting is going to eat him up if he can't develop one quickly.

Yeah, Law was oddly critical of him on draft day considering he was a 4th round pick. Plenty of teams are over drafting by this point of the draft, though plenty of draft wonks liked Gonsalves and in fact had him going much higher. His dislike of a relatively well known high school arm going in the 4th round almost seemed personal. Playing amature psychologist, I wonder if Gonsalves' attitude rubbed Law the wrong way which in turn influenced his opinion even if unconciously. Otherwise wouldn't his opinion of a percieved 4th round bust simply be "What else is new?"

diehardtwinsfan
09-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah, Law was oddly critical of him on draft day considering he was a 4th round pick. Plenty of teams are over drafting by this point of the draft, though plenty of draft wonks liked Gonsalves and in fact had him going much higher. His dislike of a relatively well known high school arm going in the 4th round almost seemed personal. Playing amature psychologist, I wonder if Gonsalves' attitude rubbed Law the wrong way which in turn influenced his opinion even if unconciously. Otherwise wouldn't his opinion of a percieved 4th round bust simply be "What else is new?"

Law gets that way from time to time... I just hope people keep feeding this to Gonsalves. The kid seems to have a chip on his shoulder and would likely benefit from that.