PDA

View Full Version : Article: Kernels: Life After Buck and a Mike Pelfrey Appearance

SD Buhr
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=2006-Kernels-Life-After-Buck-and-a-Mike-Pelfrey-Appearance

tjsyam921
07-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I really like Pelfrey and what he has brought as far as professionalism goes. Just wish, as he does, that he was more productive.

Han Joelo
07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the well-written, detailed, and insightful post. This is what I come to Twinsdaily for--not the daily rants about Drew Butera of Kevin Correia that end up generating 200 comments. So please don't let the lack of comments deter you from sharing these. I wish Boise was a Twins affiliate so I could participate similarly.

Sano, Buxton, and Rosario have raised the bar so high that its easy to forget three or four years ago we would've considered Harrison or Walker or Polanco easy type five Twins prospects. Pretty cool to see them continue there winning ways.

In a season where the big league club doesn't have much of a chance, I enjoy hearing high-character stories like Pelfrey's. Sounds like a great guy. He drove his family five hours to Cedar Rapids, pitched his butt off, mentored the kids, and bought them prime rib? To hell with the piranhas and pitch to contact---that is the real Twins Way and it is the reason I am a fan out here in Idaho, for no other reason than the first World Series I watched was in '87 and I picked the underdogs.

Thanks again.

SD Buhr
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Han.

One thing spending a few years as a blogger taught me is that you can't let comments (or lack thereof) influence your desire to write. That said, I do appreciate your encouragement.

I would also have to agree with your observation that in many years, some of the lesser known Kernels would be considered "top prospects." I'd also add that, after seeing the talent level the Angels sent to Cedar Rapids the last year or two of that relationship, it's really easy to appreciate all of the current batch of players.

I feel very fortunate to be in a position to write about this team and I'll almost certainly keep doing so, regardless of how many people are really interested in reading what I write.

dgwills
07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for another very good column. I've really enjoyed learning about the Kernels this year. Hope they can keep it up!