PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Sano

Ncgo4
07-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I have a serious question about our #1 (or is it 1a) prospect. Two years ago, he faded at the end of the year in Elizabethtown. He was still hitting HRs and getting RsBI, but his average fell sharply after mid-season then came back to about .292. His K ratio rose to 28.8%.

The next year he sent the full year in Beloit. His average was a disappointing .258 and HS K ratio was a very high 31.5%. His power #'s, however were terrific.

Now this year in high "A" and double "A" his numbers have gone through the roof. Combined average nearly .306, HR's up, RsBI up and K ratio down, but only fractionally. OBP up more than 20 pts.

To what do we attribute this amazing change? He has clearly gone from a terrific power hitting prospect to a great all around prospect. Is it just maturity? Or have the Twin's really been spending time teaching him? Or, am I just over effusive in my evaluation of El Rey?

Vervehound
07-01-2013, 03:47 PM
To what do we attribute this amazing change? He has clearly gone from a terrific power hitting prospect to a great all around prospect. Is it just maturity? Or have the Twin's really been spending time teaching him? Or, am I just over effusive in my evaluation of El Rey?

well....i'm hoping the twins minor league instructors have been working with him, because...that's kinda what they're paid to do.

most of it is just the basic evolution of a prospect, imo. sano's raw tools are similar to previous years, he's just able to control the strike zone better, which is a key adjustment you hope every marquee prospect is able to make. with that said, i dunno which set of news is better - his continual evolution as a hitter or his now apparent ability to remain at third base. his prospect value increases dramatically at third, imo.

diehardtwinsfan
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I would note that last year he started out strong and hit a nasty mid season slump. At one point, the BA was around .240 before finishing the season 20 points higher.

That said, I think Verve hit it well. The change in numbers isn't just luck. It's skill that needs nurturing and development, and that's a huge part of what minor league coaches do. A lot of that is on Sano to actually learn from what they are teaching him. Thus far, it's worked.

iastfan112
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
I have a serious question about our #1 (or is it 1a) prospect. Two years ago, he faded at the end of the year in Elizabethtown. He was still hitting HRs and getting RsBI, but his average fell sharply after mid-season then came back to about .292. His K ratio rose to 28.8%.

The next year he sent the full year in Beloit. His average was a disappointing .258 and HS K ratio was a very high 31.5%. His power #'s, however were terrific.

Now this year in high "A" and double "A" his numbers have gone through the roof. Combined average nearly .306, HR's up, RsBI up and K ratio down, but only fractionally. OBP up more than 20 pts.

His K% has actually been slowly improving over the past few years when you look at PA rather than AB. K% per AB is a pretty poor way to evaluate a hitter who walks as much as Sano does. That .306 average is a mirage as well, he's not going to have a BABIP of .390 going forward. OBP may be up but again that's average driven as his walk rate is actually down somewhat compared to last year.