PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/28): Colabello, Sano Power Display

Seth Stohs
06-28-2013, 10:20 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1980-Twins-Minor-League-Report-(6-28)-Colabello-Sano-Power-Display

Seth Stohs
06-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Sano's first home run of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uog8ib49PA

jokin
06-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Thing of beauty. Sano with 6 HRs has a legitimate chance to be the first half HR leader in the FSL and the season-long HR champ in the Eastern League. The EL leader only has 15.

FYI, his OPS is now at .983 with a .655 SLG. I think it's safe to say that he's "adjusting" to his new environs....

SgtSchmidt11
06-28-2013, 11:01 PM
That's not his 1st HR that was his flyout.

Jack Torse
06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Seth,

1)Do you see Sano getting a call up this year? It's impossible to think he wont be a starter for the twins next year.
2)Is he the best prospect in Twins history?

MichiganTwins
06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Jack don't forget about Buxton too. Possibly the best two prospects? I wonder how they compare to Mauer.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I'll take a shot at those questions.

1) I think that remains up in the air. If Sano continues to adjust to AA pitching and show improvement defensively, a September call-up isn't completely out of the question. I would say its unlikely, but possible.

With Plouffe around, there is a good chance that Sano isn't the starter on Opening Day. But that doesn't mean he won't shortly after. Hopefully the Twins decide to sign him to an Evan Longoria-type deal shortly after that.

2) No. Not strongly considered their best prospect currently.

jun
06-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Again where is Vargas?

Legend of the Arctic
06-29-2013, 12:46 AM
2)Is he the best prospect in Twins history?

He might not even be the best Twins prospect right now! Most people rank Byron Buxton ahead of Sano.

Red Bull
06-29-2013, 01:00 AM
I think Buxtons ceiling is higher than Mauers was. Buxton is a true 5 tool player. Mauer has been one of the best players in teh league the last decade but Buxton could be better. Buxtons ceiling is unlimited, I saw a top scout say his floor is Torii Hunter...... If thats his floor his ceiling might not be comparable to anyone becaue he could be so good. I really think Trout is the best comp.

I mean look at his numbers this year in CR, and he will adjust to FM just like Sano is doing in NB. Its very rare a team gets a prospect like Sano or Buxton, let alone both of them.

AM.
06-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Chris Colabello! I am in the minority in thinking he could be a valuable part of this team as a 1B/DH for the next 4-5 years?

blairpaul715
06-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Chris Colabello! I am in the minority in thinking he could be a valuable part of this team as a 1B/DH for the next 4-5 years?

I think he could be, unless they trade for someone at the deadline, that has a future as a 1st basemen. But I think he will get an opportunity next year, and if he shows he is not a AAAA player, he will stay with Twins while he is cheap and longer if he shows that he is above avg major league hitter. IMO he needs to be a .260 hitter or better and keep showing the power.

Tibs
06-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't see why Colabello doesn't at least deserve a chance to actually show what he can do with the Twins.

Larsbars08
06-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sano isn't yet on the 40 man roster. I think that makes it unlikely to see Sano called up, unless he repeats his performance at Fort Myers in New Britain. I think that Sano is going to have to force the Twins and Terry Ryan's hand this year. The Twins have proven themselves willing to promote guys aggressively this year, but Aaron Hicks showed that the gap from AA to the Majors is a tough one to adapt to. I think that Ryan will give Sano time at AAA before we see Sano even for a brief look at Target Field. I think that Sano finishes the year at New Britain, and most likely starts in Rochester next year, ala Oswaldo Arcia.

Edit: And then Phil Mackey just tweeted that Terry Ryan didn't reject calling up Sano in September. So looking like a good possibility if Sano continues to play well in AA.

Riverbrian
06-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I don't see why Colabello doesn't at least deserve a chance to actually show what he can do with the Twins.

I agree... 1B and Corner OF is a little crowded but I'd like to see him get another chance.

cmathewson
06-29-2013, 10:29 AM
I have not heard a ball hit with that loud of a crack in some time. Wow.

Inwonder what they will do with Plouffe when Sano is ready. Could he play left field?

Seth Stohs
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Again where is Vargas?

Seems like I, or someone, has answered this question the last 3-4 days. He's still with Ft. Myers.

roger
06-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Seth,

Just think back 6-7 years when we were following and reporting on the minor leagues. Not many people knew much about the Twins down on the farm. And the talent level we were all excited about was guys like Deacon Burns, David Winfree, Garrett Guzman, Alex Romero, et. al.

Wow, how things have changed. Now the masses are following nearly every team...thanks to the internet and people like you. And the talent? The Twins have come a long ways. Can you wait until they all get here? I know I don't want to.