PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/27): Stuart Turner wins Johnny Bench Award

Seth Stohs
06-28-2013, 01:06 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1974-Twins-Minor-League-Report-(6-27)-Stuart-Turner-wins-Johnny-Bench-Award

clutterheart
06-28-2013, 05:19 AM
Lewis Thorpe is an interesting prospect. He doesn't turn 18 until the end of November! Twins signed him as 16 year old last year for .5 MM USD.
Big fastball for a young kid, and is supposed to be advanced for his age.

Looking at the GCL Orioles line-up and they seem to have be old for the league with several college age guys and Latin American academy type of guys.

Thorpe eat those guys up with 8 SO. I'm interested to track his progress.

108 Double Stitches
06-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I made my first live Kernels game. I want to add a couple of notes from what I saw:

Powell's only allowed hit came with 2 outs in the 6th. Through 5 2/3 he had a no-hitter giong. And the defense looked very sharp behind him. Licon made a number of nice plays at 3rd and Polanco doubled off a batter who had walked on a sharp line drive.

In the 3rd inning, there is a runner at 3rd. The visiting pitcher (DeLoach) walks Goodrum, the catcher goes to the mound. In the first inning, there was a runner at 3rd and nobody out and DeLoach walked 3 hitters (okay, 1 was a HBP), struck out 3 hitters -- so he had given free passes to 4 batters with a runner at 3rd and its only the 3rd inning. The catcher goes to the mound, what do you think he tells DeLoach? Well, first pitch, Palonca sends one 5 rows deep in the left field bleachers. Left fielder barely moved.

108 Double Stitches
06-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Two things in this pitcher: Powell in his wind up (this is after he gave up his
only hit). Also, you can see the bleachers in left where Polanco hit his 3 run homer. It landed in the last row of the bleachers, about 20 feet to the right of the foul pole.

jun
06-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Where is Vargas?? Is he still with the Miracles?

nicksaviking
06-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Lewis Thorpe is an interesting prospect. He doesn't turn 18 until the end of November! Twins signed him as 16 year old last year for .5 MM USD.
Big fastball for a young kid, and is supposed to be advanced for his age.

I remember when he was signed. It seemed like they were talking about a high 80's fastball at the time but people were pretty impressed with it considering his age. Anyone know what kind of velocity it's sitting at now? High K numbers are pretty common in the GCL, so many of the Twins draft picks from last year have come back to earth in that catagory, but hopefully the success sticks with Thorpe.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed Eades went to E'ton. He was a 2nd round pick and most people said he was fairly polished. He played in a big time baseball conference where the competition is likely pretty equal to where he is now.

I would understand a batter not advancing right away while they adjust to wood bats, but I don't like a college pitcher picked that high facing so many HS kids.

nicksaviking
06-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Two things in this pitcher: Powell in his wind up (this is after he gave up his
only hit). Also, you can see the bleachers in left where Polanco hit his 3 run homer. It landed in the last row of the bleachers, about 20 feet to the right of the foul pole.

I'm no pitching expert (or any kind of expert really), but from that picture, he looks to stay really tall in his delivery but he looks to have a pretty strong lower body. From a leyman's totally uneducated perspective from one still shot, it seems like he could be using his apparent strong legs to generate more force in his delivery.

gil4
06-28-2013, 12:04 PM

As the adopt-a-prospect guy for him it's my job to know and I don't. I haven't seen any transactions or any reports of an injury, but he has been out of the line-up the past two games. Seth - have you heard anything?

nicksaviking
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
As the adopt-a-prospect guy for him it's my job to know and I don't. I haven't seen any transactions or any reports of an injury, but he has been out of the line-up the past two games. Seth - have you heard anything?

Maybe he's on strike because he felt he deserved a promotion with Sano, Rosario and Morales.

TwinsFanInPhilly
06-28-2013, 02:31 PM

You mean Smokey Robinson?

Seth Stohs
06-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Yup, Vargas is still in Ft. Myers.