PDA

View Full Version : Any new updates on Bard/Chargois/Wimmers?

iceslick
06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I hope they don't end up missing the whole year!

Twins Fan From Afar
06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I know Wimmers is throwing off a mound. Thought I read earlier that game action could start before the season ends.

mike wants wins
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
My bet on Wimmers, he ends up in Ft. Meyers this year, then pitches in the AFL, then goes to AA next year to start, eventually ending up in the majors in 2014......but that's me being optimistic.....

James
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
My bet on Wimmers, he ends up in Ft. Meyers this year, then pitches in the AFL, then goes to AA next year to start, eventually ending up in the majors in 2014......but that's me being optimistic.....
If that timeline works out, I would be happy with that.

IdahoPilgrim
06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Seth posted this about a week ago:

"JT Chargois and Luke Bard are on throwing programs, but they're not close yet."

diehardtwinsfan
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
That's extremely optimistic given that he's dealt with Steve Blass disease and Tommy John. I think optimistic is 2015 at the soonest... That's with him playing in AA and doing well but being shut down for the last third of the season. He starts 2015 in AAA and gets a callup if he pitches well.

mike wants wins
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I admit I was being optimistic with that one......I do think 2015 is more likely.

Oxtung
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I wonder if the Twins will end up moving Wimmers to a relief role when he comes back. He's only pitched 45ish innings in the last 3 years combined. How long would it take to build his arm back up to a starting role? I imagine several years. He is already 24. A relief role could put him on track for a late 2014 call up. He could always try to transition back to a starting role during the 2014-2015 offseason after his arm has gotten a season of use.

cmathewson
06-27-2013, 03:50 PM
That's extremely optimistic given that he's dealt with Steve Blass disease and Tommy John. I think optimistic is 2015 at the soonest... That's with him playing in AA and doing well but being shut down for the last third of the season. He starts 2015 in AAA and gets a callup if he pitches well.

I think they were related. Hurt his arm. Couldn't locate. Tried to pitch through it. Hurt it worse. Had surgery.

Seth Stohs
06-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Chatted with Wimmers a couple days ago. Said he's started throwing simulated games now. He's going to do a 4-5 of those and then get into GCL games for awhile.

No new updates on Bard or Chargois.

Siehbiscuit
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
It's likely this has been covered in the past few months leading up to the draft so feel free to point me in that direction if so. My question is as to why the Twins 2012 draft strategy was to acquire relief pitchers and then try and convert them to starters. Is this part of a "we want low mileage arms" type of philosophy? Or did the Twins just really like the arms that these guys had and thought they projected very well as starters?

diehardtwinsfan
06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
It's likely this has been covered in the past few months leading up to the draft so feel free to point me in that direction if so. My question is as to why the Twins 2012 draft strategy was to acquire relief pitchers and then try and convert them to starters. Is this part of a "we want low mileage arms" type of philosophy? Or did the Twins just really like the arms that these guys had and thought they projected very well as starters?

My guess was this:

1) They threw hard and racked up Ks.
2) They had low mileage.
3) Most had 2 good pitches with a feel for a 3rd.
4) They all have a fairly high floor of hard throwing reliever.
5) They are all much closer to the majors.

You can debate the merits of whether it was a good strategy or not, but it's clear the Twins had a plan. Worst case, a couple of those guys end up being shut down relievers for the next wave.