PDA

View Full Version : Colabello

Ncgo4
06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Cola bello with 2 hits today has raised his average to 370 w/61 RBI's and 18 dingers. There is no reason the Twins do not call him up and get him some ML time.

diehardtwinsfan
06-26-2013, 06:07 PM
He's not really a prospect by any sense of the word and was pretty bad when he was up. The Twins already have problems finding room for their 1B/RF types, so he would have no where to play.

Thegrin
06-26-2013, 06:18 PM
"There is no reason the Twins do not call him up." >>> Morneau, Parmalee, Doumit, Arcia.

Twins Fan From Afar
06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
He's not really a prospect by any sense of the word and was pretty bad when he was up. The Twins already have problems finding room for their 1B/RF types, so he would have no where to play.

You're right about Colabello not being a real prospect -- he's like 30 years old. That being said, we should probably give the guy more than 16 major league at-bats to judge him. If the Twins did move Morneau this summer, Colabello could present himself as a filler for at least the rest of this season.

mudcat14
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
You're right about Colabello not being a real prospect -- he's like 30 years old. That being said, we should probably give the guy more than 16 major league at-bats to judge him. If the Twins did move Morneau this summer, Colabello could present himself as a filler for at least the rest of this season.

Exactly. And it's not like the guy has just gotten hot. He's been on this pace for 250 AB's. The guy is the Italian Roy Hobbs, for Chrissakes! Are we really afraid that he's gonna take AB's away from Ryan Effin Doumit? We've seen the best that clown has to offer and it's middling serviceable, at best.

Twins Fan From Afar
06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Exactly. And it's not like the guy has just gotten hot. He's been on this pace for 250 AB's. The guy is the Italian Roy Hobbs, for Chrissakes! Are we really afraid that he's gonna take AB's away from Ryan Effin Doumit? We've seen the best that clown has to offer and it's middling serviceable, at best.

Well said. Arguably Colabello has been on this pace since last April (albeit at AA). His production hasn't slowed at all.

diehardtwinsfan
06-27-2013, 07:12 AM

I agree on that. the problem you have is that there's no where to put him. Unless people think his future is more of the Jim Thome/Paul Sorrento power hitter off the bench, I don't see it.... at least not now. If they get rid of Doumit, Willingham, and/or Morneau, it would be a different story as there would be place in the big league club to let him play every day, but just like Doumit, Colobello isn't part of the future either. He's 30.

Dman
06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Colobello if he is as good as his AAA numbers suggest has a good 4 years left and 1st base is a position an older player can get away with playing for a long number of years so he could be a part of the Twins future if he is truly good.

I might be biased by the fact that I really like the story behind this guy and given his consistency in the minors believe he deserves an extended shot at the MLB level to see what he could bring to the team. At the very least if he is good and not a part of the Twins future he could be trade bait for another younger prospect. He is too good to just sit in the minors and waste away. The Twins need to make room for him this year after the trade deadline.

mudcat14
06-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I agree on that. the problem you have is that there's no where to put him. Unless people think his future is more of the Jim Thome/Paul Sorrento power hitter off the bench, I don't see it.... at least not now. If they get rid of Doumit, Willingham, and/or Morneau, it would be a different story as there would be place in the big league club to let him play every day, but just like Doumit, Colobello isn't part of the future either. He's 30.

He's 30, yes. But unlike the ones you mentioned above, he has no service time. He's got three + years of making the MLB minimum range salary. There's no risk with him, only reward. Even Doumit earns $3.5mil/year through next season. Colabello wouldn't make that over the next 4-years. Unless he really is Roy Hobbs, and they reward him for excellence.

mike wants wins
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
There should be room at 1B or DH for him, on a team that could lose 90+ games for a third straight year. This is exactly the kind of guy they should be taking a flyer on right now.

diehardtwinsfan
06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
There should be room at 1B or DH for him, on a team that could lose 90+ games for a third straight year. This is exactly the kind of guy they should be taking a flyer on right now.

but not at the expense of other guys who deserve those flyers... In case you forget Parmelee put up better numbers in AAA last year as a 24 year old. And he's been relegated to the bench far too often in favor of others. Parmelee has a much better shot at sticking and being a long term piece to this team, yet he isn't getting nearly enough PT...

The reason people like Colabello is for the story. I get that, it's a nice story, but pushing Colabello ahead of Parmelee and/or Plouffe is just silly.

mike wants wins
06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I agree Parmalee should also be playing more.....I'm ready for Willingham, Morneau to be gone, and for Doumit to play less. But I understand why others are not there yet.....As for Plouffe, I still think he is your bench/super sub/1B/DH when Sano is up, but that's what I would do, so probably not what the Twins will do.

jay
06-27-2013, 11:21 AM
but not at the expense of other guys who deserve those flyers... In case you forget Parmelee put up better numbers in AAA last year as a 24 year old. And he's been relegated to the bench far too often in favor of others. Parmelee has a much better shot at sticking and being a long term piece to this team, yet he isn't getting nearly enough PT...

The reason people like Colabello is for the story. I get that, it's a nice story, but pushing Colabello ahead of Parmelee and/or Plouffe is just silly.

If a corner guy gets moved in a trade, there's no question Colabello should take the roster spot. I'd assume Parmelee would go back to a full time role and Colabello would take over Parmelee's current part-time role. It's even better that Colabello is RH in my mind with all our lefties -- plenty of platoon/PH opportunities.

Tibs
06-27-2013, 06:57 PM

I like Colabello because of the way he is playing. I don't even think about his story when I read his name in the minor league reports every day.

diehardtwinsfan
06-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I like Colabello because of the way he is playing. I don't even think about his story when I read his name in the minor league reports every day.

Then you should like Parmelee more. His numbers last year in Rochester (as a 24 year old):

.338/.457/.645 Good for a 1.102 OPS.

Let the kid play every day. I don't think he'll do that well in the majors, but he could easily turn into an .850 OPS guy through his prime.

stringer bell
06-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Regarding Colabello, he joined the organization with about a 1% chance of ever appearing in a major league game. He played in the independent Can-Am league for seven years and then signed with the Twins. He needed to dominate the EL as a 28-year old (check) and then move up and dominate the IL at age 29 (check). Something seemed to click for him in 2011, when he went from a good independent league player to the dominant Can-Am individual. He has already defied the odds to get a "cup of coffee", so maybe he can continue the trend at the top level. Certainly, Colabello won't get hundreds of plate appearances to prove himself, but give him a couple hundred this summer and in September to see if perhaps he can be a bench bat or maybe a platoon guy.

mudcat14
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Regarding Colabello, he joined the organization with about a 1% chance of ever appearing in a major league game. He played in the independent Can-Am league for seven years and then signed with the Twins. He needed to dominate the EL as a 28-year old (check) and then move up and dominate the IL at age 29 (check). Something seemed to click for him in 2011, when he went from a good independent league player to the dominant Can-Am individual. He has already defied the odds to get a "cup of coffee", so maybe he can continue the trend at the top level. Certainly, Colabello won't get hundreds of plate appearances to prove himself, but give him a couple hundred this summer and in September to see if perhaps he can be a bench bat or maybe a platoon guy.

Two more dingers in his first two AB's tonight. Everyone else? 0-12 with a walk & 3-k's. We have no AB's in Minnesota for this guy? Quit letting salary dictate playing time! Willingham & Doumit are ham and eggers at best. Sit them and give Parmelee I Colaabello their AB's. What's the worst that can happen, 4th - 5th place? We're already there.

kab21
06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I like Colabello more every week and I really hope some playing time opens up after the trade deadline with one or two players getting traded. I am patient enough to wait a month though.