PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Stadiums

notoriousgod71
06-24-2013, 06:26 PM
One of my goals in life is to go to every MLB baseball stadium at least once. I try to knock off at least one trip per year (sometimes several stadiums in one trip).

Here are my favorite stadiums in order:

1. Fenway Park- I love history and I love atmosphere and this one is superb for both. Also the surrounding area has tons of bars within a stone's throw of Fenway. If you haven't you should definitely check out the bar in centerfield that's field level and mere feet away from the warning track. There's a time limit for the prime seating but oddly enough no cover.

2. Oriole Park @ Camden Yards- the first retro stadium is all that it's cracked up to be. A lot of good Oriole history around the stadium and there's always the ominous warehouse to loom over the field. I went to Boog's BBQ when I was there and met him. Good guy and a mountainous BBQ sandwich.

3. Kauffman Stadium- I can only imagine what it would be like in an electric atmosphere, but it's a very relaxing experience to go to a game there and at least until recently the Twins always won. I was never there before they renovated the place so I'm not sure what it was like. Great place to catch BP and the fountains are quite nice when it's 100 degrees. Also very cheap seating! Another plus is my hotel is always just up the hill and across the street so no driving necessary!

4. Old Yankee Stadium- strictly on its history. The place was a **** hole, but the atmosphere was completely different than the new place. I got chills just knowing all the greats that played there and all the historic moments that took place there.

5. Busch Stadium III- really the stadium that most resembles Target Field in my opinion. An enjoyable atmosphere with mostly knowledgeable and courteous fans. The arch is an obvious sight line.

6. Target Field- Maybe I'm rating it too low because of it's familiarity or maybe I'm rating it too low because the product on the field has been lousy the last two years. Or maybe I'm rating it perfectly.

7. Citizens Bank Park- I love Philly fans. I think I'm one at heart. I love to boo and I love being negative! Also I'm a big fan of cheese steaks.

8. HHH Metrodome- the atmosphere was either stuffy and sleep causing or spine tingling and goose bump inducing. The stadium was awful but I loved all the quirks from the white roof to the trash bag to the astro turf. My best memories in sports occurred here.

9. Nationals Park- nice, but not really inspiring or intriguing. I would say this is the definition of an average stadium.

10. Citi Field- I like that it resembles Ebbets Field but it's not that special either. There were no homeruns the game I went to so I'm not sure if they still have the Big Apple raise up. Being close to the airport is either a blessing or a curse, depending on your point of view.

11. New Yankee Stadium- the only thing I like about it is that it resembles the old stadium. It lacks any sort of ambiance and everything is so ungodly expensive you can't really enjoy much of anything. The nachos there are the most expensive of any place I've been and the most disappointing.

12. Tropicana Field- I went there when the Rays were terrible (not that it probably makes any difference now) and got two souvenirs despite not busting it after any of the foul balls. We may have literally been the only group in the upper deck that day. Also the day I got circled by Bert so it has that memory going for it.

13. Miller Park- I hate everything about this place. The fans are douche bags, the stadium is awful, and Miller Lite is my least favorite beer (I try to drink the local brew wherever I go if there is one). Opening and closing the roof is a monstrosity that you must witness to believe. The only redeeming quality is the sausage race and that has nothing to do with the stadium.

DutchFarmer
06-24-2013, 06:38 PM
One of my goals in life is to go to every MLB baseball stadium at least once. I try to knock off at least one trip per year (sometimes several stadiums in one trip).

8. HHH Metrodome- the atmosphere was either stuffy and sleep causing or spine tingling and goose bump inducing. The stadium was awful but I loved all the quirks from the white roof to the trash bag to the astro turf. My best memories in sports occurred here.

For some odd reason I'm with you on the metrodome. Don't get me wrong, I know it's a pile but my best sport memories are from that place.

Nice list.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
I'd be interested to hear what you think of PNC in Pittsburgh--a gorgeous spot with marvelous views and an increasingly fun team to watch--and Wrigley--wonderful surroundings even if I felt like an interloper the whole time I was there.

Comerica's a surprisingly nice space too..but I'd easily put it below Target, Kauffman, Busch and the dome.

notoriousgod71
06-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd be interested to hear what you think of PNC in Pittsburgh--a gorgeous spot with marvelous views and an increasingly fun team to watch--and Wrigley--wonderful surroundings even if I felt like an interloper the whole time I was there.

Comerica's a surprisingly nice space too..but I'd easily put it below Target, Kauffman, Busch and the dome.

I've heard nothing but great things about PNC and it's definitely on my list. Surprisingly I've never been to Chicago, but would definitely like to go there. Detroit is next on my list later this summer. Hopefully I survive to write a recap about it.

biggentleben
06-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I had your Fenway experience at Wrigley a few seasons back. It was tremendous to just walk in and experience the history of the place. I had goosebumps as I walked out onto the field. Part of my reasoning has to do with me being a baseball fan due to a great-grandmother who LOVED the Cubs and always told me about Wrigley, but it's still a great game experience. There are plenty of things that need updating, but at the same time, the stadium bleeds history so much because some of those things are there.

The new Busch will be the destination for my bachelor's party down the road.

I had a much better experience at Miller, but part of that could have been that my only two visits were in the first two years it was open, so there was some of that attempt at Lambeau ambiance that my uncle tells me has now left the exterior of the stadium.

biggentleben
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
My best dome memory was being a CA at the U and taking a group of freshmen residents to a game in the cheap seats for the Chuck Knoblauch hot dog game. We were about halfway up the left field stands, watching baseballs start to get chucked (no pun intended) onto the field.

drjim
06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I would rank:

1. San Francisco - gorgeous views, great food

2. PNC

3. Target Field

4. Wrigley Field

5. Great American (Cincinnati) - perfectly fine.

6. Toronto

7. Houston - More reason why I'm glad there is not a retractable roof on Target Field. Way too gimmicky.

8. Miller Park - I agree with you. Dislike it more every time I go.

9. Metrodome

I have a lot more parks that I need to visit.

glanzer
06-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I just visited my 13th stadium this spring and I have a wildly different opinion than you when it comes to Miller Park. I would put it in my top 3. I love the atmosphere around the stadium before the games and I actually really like the stadium. I have seen six games there from various seats and I've never had a bad view. Concessions seemed reasonable and the ushers are super laid back and allowed me to move around.

TheLeviathan
06-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I know Wrigley has a lot of history and it is a very cool place if you sit in the bleachers...but that stadium is a real dump. Nostalgia = cool, but if you ignore that even for a few minutes you'll realize your average town team in northern minnesota probably has better accommodations.

Personally, I loved Kauffman, that's my favorite non-Twins park I've been to.

1. Target Field 2. Kauffman 3. Old Yankee Stadium 4. Miller 5. Petco 6. The Cell 7. Wrigley 8. Dome

Riverbrian
06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
1. AT&T Park San Francisco -- From my list of parks I've been to... It's #1 by far. The Bay... The structure... Sat in RF and could see the break and velocity of every pitch... I still don't know how the architects pulled that off.
2. Kaufman Kansas City -- For an older stadium... It feels modern... The fountains are classic. This thing was built for the future along time ago.
3. Target Field Minnesota -- Proud to call it my home park... It's great but it is over hyped.
4. Rangers Ballpark Texas -- Everything was top notch... The food... The Views... Everything.
5. Old Tiger Stadium Detroit -- Just liked it... The overhang... The history.
6. Miller Park Milwaukee -- I don't get the criticism... I had SRO's and stood behind home plate... Right next to a beer and food stand. Loved every minute of it... I like the Sausage Race... Bernie Brewer and the big glass looking out into nothingneess behind the outfield.
7. Old Yankee Stadium New York -- I appreciated the history... Where I was...nothing else was special.
8. Safeco Seattle -- The Stadium was just nice... I hated the Train and its freaking Horn. SAt in left field and it was lowwwd.
9. Progressive Field Cleveland -- The Park was just Ok... The People of Cleveland are great... Fun Atmosphere.
10. Old Comiskey Park Chicago -- Rough Neighborhood. Hated White Sox. Stupid decor.
11. Metrodome Minnesota -- Only the memories make it tolerable. Bad views... Having to sit sideways to watch along the baselines... Lost balls in the roof... The impossible to understand PA system and horrible food. I did like being blown out the door at the end of the game.
12. Rogers Center Toronto -- Miserable... Bad upper deck seats... Could hardly see the baseball as we baked in the Canadian Sun. Just a plastic piece of junk.

WilliesWorld24
06-25-2013, 06:38 AM
PNC is at the top of my list - see below

WilliesWorld24
06-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Like the threadstarter, I am trying to go to a game at all the ballparks. PNC is my favorite, with the riverfront and downtown views, walking across the bridge to the game, the huge statutes of Roberto Clemente and Pops Willie Stargell - and a beautiful intimate park. AT&T is a very close second - particularly on a warm summer day in the cheap seats overlooking the SF Bay. Our own jewel, Target Field, is third, with fantastic downtown views and modern architecture - only 'lacking' the beautiful waterfront views and splashdown opportunities afforded by PNC & AT&T Park. The List - 1. PNC, 2. AT&T Park, 3. Target Field, 4. Fenway Park - love the Monstah (even if in weird seats facing it in the RF corner), 5. Camden Yards - still looks as new as when it opened 20 yrs ago - the tie-in to the warehouse is perfect, 6. Wrigley's vined neighborhood park, 7. new Busch - great view of the Arch and St. Louis skyline in downtown - and agree with above, fantastic fans, 8. Comerica - incredible details, amazing monument area in the OF, 9. Coors with the Rocky mountains on one side and downtown on the other in a great lowertown area, 10. modern Petco Park off the Gaslamp neighborhood in beautiful SD, 11. Tiger Stadium - the park was in the hood, but players were larger than life on a field like Williams Arena - elevated grounds, no foul territory, cool overhang, very old school, 12. Safeco Field - so glad TF is uncovered, the umbrella structure took away from the views a bit, but great park in downtown Seattle, drawing in the architecture of the city, 13. Kaufmann - have not been since the renovation, but looked new and the fountains in the fountain city were pretty cool, 14. Citizens Park - very pretty structure, with great museum artifacts throughout the park (like Comerica and others), but out in stadium land without downtown views knocks it down my list, 15. Citi Field - looks great on the outside, particularly the rotunda, but a bit short of charm inside, 16. Yankee 2 - it is the most corporate of parks, 17. Yankee 1 - saw it at the best possible time - foggy evening, walked thru a tunnel towards home plate and saw lattice work and felt that Babe, Gehrig, DiMaggio, etc. won 27 championships there - monument park was cool, but very 80s plastic and lack of intimacy were negatives in my book, 18. Ballpark at Arlington - like Citi - looked great on outside, and a hodgepodge of old favorite features - lattice work of Yankee Stadium, quirky wall, overhang, etc. made it a bit contrived - still a beautiful park, 19. Miller Park - nice brick stadium in a good location for tailgating (brewer brats are legit) - and Wisco has its priorities, but roof wrecks views of - oh yeah, freeway - nevermind - a downtown open air park by the lake would have been awesome, 20. Progressive - saw it when it opened and liked it more then - not a ton of charm, 21. the aptly named Cell - can feel bullet holes in the facing from random gunplay by the Dan Ryan express - and love the barbed wire parking areas - seriously, could you put a generic new ballpark in a worse location - somehow fitting for the Whities - in fairness, have not been back since its renovation - is it worth it? 22. The Old Met - saw the last game there - not a beautiful place, but wonderful childhood memories of Rod Carew's run at .400 in '77, 23. County Stadium in Milwaukee - home of my first date with my wife - great memory, Harvey's Wallbangers with Molly, Yount and crew- and the Cleveland Indians in the movie Major League, 25. Busch II at least hey did a nice job of retrofitting baseball from the cookiecutter multiplex, 26. Shea - next to the airport - at least it was outdoors, 27. Riverfront, 28. Three Rivers, 29. the Vet, 30. the Dome in the summer - the Dome on Game 7 in 87 was something special - my ears are still ringing. Can't wait to see the LA parks, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and Washington. Will wait to see TB/Oak in a new park. Fun times - saw 9 parks in 10 days on one great lakes trip. The top 15 parks are pretty nice. Enjoy

IdahoPilgrim
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Now I have something I can add to my bucket list - I'd like to visit all 30 stadiums as well.

Haven't visited that many, but my personal non-Minnesota favorite is Fenway. My best baseball memory is an afternoon doubleheader in Boston against the Twins while I was at school there. Perfect weather, and the Twins won both.

And I'm going to give a sentimental nod to old Met Stadium in Bloomington. Yes, I know it doesn't compare to anything we have today, here or elsewhere, but it's where I grew up watching Twins baseball. As they say, you never forget your first love...

Gernzy
06-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Wow WilliesWorld24 next time use some spaces or something. Your post is hard to read.

On topic I've only been to the Dome, Target Field and Fenway so I don't have much to compare to. Hopefully one day I'll be able to see more.

rnw24
06-25-2013, 08:47 AM
haven't been to as many as i would like, but for me its:

1. Target Field - place is amazing, could very well be the nicest stadium in baseball, twins got it right with this place.

2. Camden Yards - as stated by someone above, first retro ballpark and just a great place to hang out and watch a game. boogs bbq above the right field wall was awesome

3. New Yankee Stadium - place is a palace. been twice and going back next month to see twins-yanks for my bachelor party. had the great experience of getting free legends seats to a twins game a few years ago, beer was pricey but made up for it with the free pre game buffet and free food throughout the game.

4. Old Yankee Stadium - the last year it was open. the history in that place was great, looking out at monument park was a cool experience. i was lucky enough to see rivera come in for a save in the 9th. "enter sandman" entrance music was cool, place goes crazy.

5. Metrodome - only went 1 time when i was a kid back in 1990 when they were brutal. got to see nolan ryan pitch against my favorite player of all time kirby puckett. watching batting practice from behind the plexi glass in LF was a fun experience.

6. US Cellular - its probably nicer than the Metrodome, but i just can't put anything of the White Sox ahead of the Twins. the Cell seemed plain to me, nothing really jumped out at me. nice, but standard.

7. Shea Stadium - went there in its last year, glad i made it before it was torn down, but hte place really is a dump.

8. Fenway Park - being from Rhode Island i've made probably 100 trips up to Fenway to see games, with many of them being to see the twins. i will admit its cool to go to this place for the history and to see it once. but other than that the place is an absolute dump!!! how anyone can go to Target or Camden but then say that they prefer watching a game at Fenway is beyond me. the seats are too small, behind poles and not angled properly. everything is beyond expensive from the ticket prices, hotdogs, beers, and parking. the whole place now seems like just a gimmick to me. people complain about Yankee stadium being a launching pad for lefties but this place is much worse...302 down RF line. 317ft pop ups for home runs in left. Fenway has history but it a terrible place to watch a game...tear it down.

- going to a game at Petco Park in September while on my honeymoon, definitely looking forward to that. i'm sure that Petco will instantly jump up into my top 3 or 4

zenser
06-25-2013, 08:51 AM
I have only been to a few stadiums but for the ones I have been to I would rank them in this order.
Kauffman Stadium
Target Field
Old Yankee Stadium
Metrodome
Anaheim Stadium (back when it was the Big A)

Kauffman for me tops the list because it isn't too corporatized yet. I have walked up to the ticket booth an hour before the game and bought tickets in the first row on top of the Twins dugout and paid $30-$40 for them.

TheMind07
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
I think it should be every baseball fans goal in their lifetime to visit all of the Major League stadiums. Of the ones I've been to I would rank:

1. AT&T Park - San Francisco - this easily takes the cake for me, beautiful setting, angles of the seats are perfect, food is great, not over the top, just a perfect baseball experience, and I went in 08 when the Giants and Nationals were two of the worst teams in baseball.

2. Target Field - Minneapolis - This is a far second to AT&T park for me. Its a beautiful stadium, but the stadium just has a crammed in feeling to it. The whole stadium feels like its all on top of itself (if that makes any sense), nonetheless it is a great venue and proud its our Home Stadium. Can't wait for the All-Star game there next year.

3. Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles - The history and unique setting of the stadium are very cool.

4. Angel Stadium - Anaheim - Large parking lot and very cool mountains and fountains in left center field.

5. Petco Park - San Diego - Nothing too fancy about this place, cool views of downtown San Diego. Love the old mill they used in the left field corners. The beach behind the right center field fence is cool.

6. Wrigley - Chicago - I don't get the love of this place either. The place is a dump and feels like you're watching a game from an old bar. Not to mention the place reeks of Old Style beer.

7. Metrodome - Minneapolis - Other than the two world series titles and the home field advantage it gave us, the place had to go. Even playing in there in college wasn't really that great other than knowing the great players who had either stepped on that mound or batted in those boxes.

8. Qualcomm Stadium - Would have been ranked 7 had it been the Twins football/baseball stadium, due to it being outdoors.

Before I started this list I thought I had been to more, and it makes me realize that I really need to get going on my quest to visit all of the Major League Stadiums. This has been a fun thread to read and post in!!! Much better than the negative posts that seem to fill this blog from time to time!

biggentleben
06-26-2013, 07:54 PM
I personally love Turner Field for the way that they tied in the old field and the history of it on the outside to the feeling in the park. Well worth the cross-country trek.

ChiTownTwinsFan
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Haven't been to a lot of stadiums ...

But I agree with those who have AT&T Park at the top of their list. Great park, just, great.

And I agree with those who don't get the Wrigley love ... dump, through and through.

neboo
06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
My list is small, but here goes:

1. PNC Park- Just an unbelievable experience. A very intimate experience as well. They did a great job of making the park feel small and it is a great time. Not to mention, tickets are easy to come by and super cheap. The river, the bridge, the atmosphere, it was all great.

2. Target Field- Basically PNC without the river and not as intimate of a feel.

3. Busch Stadium (New)- It is a very nice place, but does feel a bit large and "distant" from the action.

4. Miller Park - Feels like a dome. It would be a cool football field...

5. Metrodome - Yuck

SD Buhr
06-27-2013, 02:22 PM
I have trouble ranking stadiums precisely but tend to group them a bit. I'll also admit that sometimes my feelings about the team that plays there has some kind of effect on my view of the ballpark.

Favorites:
1 & 2: Pretty much a tie between Target Field and AT&T (SF). Love them both.
3. Kaufman (KC). I've always liked it. I was last there when they were halfway through their remodel efforts and it was even better. I'd like to get down to see the finished product.
4. Camden Yards (Balt). Hard to believe it's over 20 years old now. Still love going to games there.
5. Busch (StL). Nothing to complain about here. Very nice ballpark.
6. Ballpark at Arlington. Haven't seen a game there but I've been inside. I loved it. Not sure how much I would love going to games there in 105 degree temps though.

Oldies but pretty-goodies.
7. Dodger Stadium. I freely admit that the fact that I had a seat in the first row directly behind the visiting on-deck circle the only time I've attended a game here certainly influences my feelings here a bit.
8. Fenway. I'm as old-school as anyone, but when I was there, I just felt it was an outdated ballpark, plain and simple. I will also say I was there before their most recent rennovations so maybe I'd like it more now. Yes, the area around the park is great.
9. Big A. I think the remodeled the Anaheim ballpark a year or so before I was there and I really thought they did a nice job. It's not "new" but it was a good place to go to a game.
10. Wrigley. It's Fenway with a team and fan-base I like less than the Red Sox. Fun neighborhood before the game, but just an old worn out ballpark. Sounds like they plan some major rennovations and I hope they can really upgrade it while keeping its old-school feel.

Ballparks you really have to want to watch baseball in order to go there.
11. The (Prison) Cell (WSox). Man did they build an ugly ballpark in Chicago right about the same time the people in Baltimore built a shrine at Camden.
12. The WhateverTheyCallItThisYear Coliseum (Oakland). They really need a new ballpark for the A's. At least the toilets weren't backed up the games I was there and at least they play ball outdoors, which is more than I can say for...
13. Rogers Park (Toronto). The roof was closed for the game I saw there. Ugh.
14. Tropicana (Tampa). Speaking of Ugh. The roof is always closed here, of course. Food was good though.

I attended a few games at the old Ballpark at Arlington. It reminded me of a AAA or even AA ballpark. But I saw Nolan Ryan pitch twice there, so I can't complain about that.

Metrodome. Never should have been used for baseball. That said, I'll never forget the Game 163 against the Tigers I saw there. Lots of great memories with the family there, too.

Metropolitan Stadium. As IdahoPilgrim said, you never forget your first love. I'll never forget those first Big League games my dad took me to in the early years of the Twins. It may have looked like it was built out of mismatched erector sets, but I didn't care. I saw Tony, Killer and Carew play there (not to mention Brooks, Hondo and the Mick). 'nuff said.

stringer bell
06-27-2013, 02:37 PM
1. Target Field--I haven't had much luck seeing winners, but it is very good and customer friendly. I like the view at night. 2. Safeco--Saw a game there with the roof open and it was beautiful. Seems much larger than the capacity and the dimensions. 3. Coors Field--Saw a game there in 100 degree heat (it was a dry heat) and thought it was very nice. 4. Kauffman Stadium--The last of the "old" stadiums. It is so much better with real grass. I like the fountains. 5. Metropolitan Stadium--An overgrown minor league park, but baseball was new and fun then. I saw a couple of Harmon homers. 6. Metrodome--A lousy stadium unless the team is good. When the Twins were winning, you forgot all of the drawbacks, especially when it was raining or cold outside.

stringer bell
06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
I've been to a few minor league parks--Jet Blue, Hammond Stadium, Veteran's Memorial (Perfect Game Field) and whatever the stadium is called at Port Charlotte. They all offer something. Jet Blue is as close as I've been to being in Fenway and we sat in the "Monster Seats", so it was interesting. The only park I wouldn't go back to was the one in Port Charlotte (Rays FSL farm team) and that had more to do with handicapped accessability than anything else.

Brock Beauchamp
06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
I like lots of baseball parks. Dodger Stadium, Target Field, PETCO are great. Haven't done AT&T or PNC.

But the ones I dislike stick with me more... And those are Miller Park, Angel Stadium, the Metrodome, and Qualcomm. All are/were lousy parks for baseball.

biggentleben
06-27-2013, 04:40 PM
1 & 2: Pretty much a tie between Target Field and Citizens Bank Park (SF). Love them both.

I think you may be confused. CBP is the park in the city of brotherly hate, not San Fran.

Sarah
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I agree with everyone who mentioned PNC Park in Pittsburgh. I have only been to about half of them but that is definitely my favorite. I'm not sure if we're limiting this to just major league parks but I'm also planning a return trip to the Quad Cities in August and can't wait to see that stadium again. There is just something about a ballpark on the river. I was there 10 years ago when they were a Twins affiliate and will be interested to see how the renovations make the stadium look different.

SD Buhr
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I think you may be confused. CBP is the park in the city of brotherly hate, not San Fran.

Yep, I noticed my mistake at about the same time you did. Thanks. It's corrected.

SD Buhr
07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree with everyone who mentioned PNC Park in Pittsburgh. I have only been to about half of them but that is definitely my favorite. I'm not sure if we're limiting this to just major league parks but I'm also planning a return trip to the Quad Cities in August and can't wait to see that stadium again. There is just something about a ballpark on the river. I was there 10 years ago when they were a Twins affiliate and will be interested to see how the renovations make the stadium look different.

You'll like the renovations in QC, I think. They did a nice job with them.

nowheresville
07-04-2013, 01:29 PM
This is a challenge, but a good one. I try to pick off at least one or two new parks a year, but that also means its been a while since I've been to several of these.

The Clear Winners:
1. - AT&T Park. It's place at the top of nearly every ranking is well deserved. Works with its surroundings perfectly.
2. - PNC. Might be an even better setting than SF, but falls just short because it has been empty every time I've gone. With the Pirates now doing well, It could deserve the top spot.

A class by themselves - great but so different from any others it really is apples and oranges.
3 - Fenway. Seeing a game here feels a bit like stepping back in time.
4- Wrigley. A timeless classic, and just a great place for baseball.

Just a step below:
5 - New Busch. Works perfectly with the Arch and Courthouse, and very easy to follow the game.
6 - Great American. I think Cinci's got the most underrated park in baseball. I've always had a great time here.
7 - Camden Yards. The same timeless feel of Wrigley, with modern updated touches.
8 - Target Field. An outstanding park where everything is nice and close to the field.

The hall of very good:
9 - Angels Ballpark. It's hard to believe this used to be a mutli-purpose stadium.
10 - Kaufmann. Renovations were being done last time I was there, but it felt way ahead of its time. Sort of like a brand new ballpark, with 1970's furnishings.
11 - Ballpark at Arlington. Just a nice park.

Just OK.
12 - Coors Field. Decent park in a good location, but all those outfield seats seem kind of silly now.
13 - Citizens Bank. I really don't remember much other than it was fine.
14 - Citi Field. Nothing special. Has some nice features, but all the Brooklyn Dodgers tributes feel a bit wierd.
15 - Progressive. A nice place to watch the game, but overrated, and a staff that was remarkably rude throughout the park.

Flawed.
16 - Comerica. I don't remember a lot of details, but it felt gawdy. Being in Detroit doesn't help.
17 - Miller Park. The tailgating is great, but the park itself is mediocre. Upper deck is way too high and the roof sucks, even when open.
18 - The Cell. Ok if you sit in the lower deck, and ignore that you're surrounded by sox fans.

Outdated/Retired.
19 - Old Busch (Busch II). Cramped concrete donut, but they did a nice job working with what they had.
20 - Qualcomm. Crappy multi-use donut, but at least you were outside in San Diego.
21 - Skydome. Scary to think this indoor concrete donut was once considered high-tech.
22 - Metrodome. Great Memories, and I still think its a decent place to watch football, but it was horrible for baseball by any objective criteria.

For the minors, it is hard to argue with Quad Cities as a beautiful ballpark, although if I'm going to pick 1 out of the 16 places I've seen a minor league game, I think I'm going to go just up the river for the old fashioned charm of Clinton.

ThePuck
07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
The parks I've been to ranked best to worst: Target Field, Camden Yards, Coors Field, Dodgers Stadium, Busch Stadium, Angels Ballpark, Arlington Ballpark, Candlestick Park, Metrodome, and Oakland's hole of a ballpark.

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I finally made it to Target Field last weekend...not living in Twin Cities. I counted up--I have now been to 23 stadiums (stadia). Given my age and the fact I have been going to MLB games for over 50 years...many of the ones I have gone to are gone.

My top 10:

Ebbets Field (cause it was the first and the BROOKLYN Dodgers were then my team).
Citizen's Bank (IMHO the best of the new stadiums)
Kaufman (I love the fountains and the whole atmosphere)
Shea (maybe cause I could walk there from my home and see a double header almost any Sunday in the early 70s)
HHH MetroDome (maybe cause I saw a walkoff Twins win in the 13th inning--I know all the issues with the Dome--but I miss it).
Memorial Stadium in Balmer (another stadium I really miss--along with the Earl watching Tippy Martinez and Stanhouse nervously get thru the late innings)
Old Yankee Stadium for the history
Fenway for the history
Camden Yards--would be higher but too easy to hit HRs
Target Field--slight edge over Nats Stadium

The bottom 3 are easy--Connie Mack--by the time I got there in the late 60s, it was a dump. Comiskey (now US Cellular) just ugly; Polo Grounds--absolutely weird dimensions.
Also true for RFK Stadium here in DC.

notoriousgod71
07-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Well, I just returned from a 4th of July mid-week trip to Kauffman and I think it gets better every time I go there. The quote I said to my buddies that went with: "This place just feels like home. Not the sh1tty home you actually live in, but what you want your home to be."

Then again a dozen beers later I also said, "I'd rather watch Bruce Chen pitch than Sandy Koufax in his prime."