PDA

View Full Version : Article: Byron Buxton To Be Promoted to High A-Fort Myers

Twins Daily Admin
06-23-2013, 07:14 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1941-Byron-Buxton-To-Be-Promoted-to-High-A-Fort-Myers&

CK
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
@JimCrikket: Buxton promoted to Ft Myers per Jake Mauer.

yep.

jerickasdad34
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Glad this moment has come....a little surprised he didnt go after the all star game

drjim
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
This was a week late!

josecordoba
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Buxton appears to be the Youngest Hitter in the League. If Buxton has a wRC near League Average this will be a very successful season.

Seth Stohs
06-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Glad this moment has come....a little surprised he didnt go after the all star game

I think that the Miracle were getting Wilkin Ramirez and wanted him to get 3-5 games in as rehab first. With Ramirez having a setback, the time came.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I hope he performs to the best of his abilities. Buxton surely will be fine defensively, but we'll have to see if he can hit these pitchers. If he can just be an average hitter here, I think he'll move past this with ease. Since we saw quite a few Twins' prospects crush the FSL, perhaps Buxton will too.

Ncgo4
06-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Let's hope Buck moves up more smoothly than Sano has done. I watched (via MILB) the New Britain games this week end and, in spite of a few hits, Sano really appeared to be lost. Today, in particular he looked like he had no idea of either the strike zone or what was coming. I am still confident he'll get it together, but it's been difficult.

jokin
06-23-2013, 07:50 PM
I think that the Miracle were getting Wilkin Ramirez and wanted him to get 3-5 games in as rehab first. With Ramirez having a setback, the time came.

Sounds reasonable. It seems like its been a long time coming, by all accounts this kid is a worker and internally driven for accepting nothing less than excellence. I think Dougie Mint is just the right guy (has been all along) to tweak and motivate this guy to quickly move through this level, as well.

How many managers get to actually play baseball with a HOF number-type guy in High School (A-Rod) and then have the opportunity to manage not one, but 2 sky's-the-limit potential guys in one season? He appears to have done right by Sano- Miguel ended up doing unprecedented things in the FSL, no reason to think that he won't tap into Buck's full potential, too. Exciting time to ponder the Twins near future.

On a selfish note, thanks Twins, for getting this promotion done just in time for my July Florida vacation!

diehardtwinsfan
06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Let's hope Buck moves up more smoothly than Sano has done. I watched (via MILB) the New Britain games this week end and, in spite of a few hits, Sano really appeared to be lost. Today, in particular he looked like he had no idea of either the strike zone or what was coming. I am still confident he'll get it together, but it's been difficult.

Probably hasn't seen breaking pitches quite that good... nor consistently thrown for strikes. It will be a good challenge for him.

beckmt
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Toughest jump is from High A to AA. He will be fine after the adjustment period.

beckmt
06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Congrats to Buxton. Will see what he can do. If he rakes in Ft. Myers, he should start next year in AA. Maybe the majors next year.

jay
06-23-2013, 07:59 PM
This was a week late!

:s-chainsaw:

jay
06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Congrats to Byron on the much deserved promotion! Bummed I couldn't get to CR in time this year to see him...

Monkeypaws
06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
What a great pick - best player over need 100 times!

clutterheart
06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Too soon
I think they should demote him back to the GCL. He is doing too good and needs a "reality check"

Seth Stohs
06-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Buxton finally gets his call to Fort Myers | TheGazette (http://thegazette.com/2013/06/23/buxton-finally-gets-his-call-to-fort-myers/)

Cedar Rapids' The Gazette's Jeff Johnson penned an article on the promotion.

70charger
06-23-2013, 09:22 PM
This makes all the *****ing and moaning in the other threads even less than useless. But fire Terry Ryan anyway! Wharrgarrbbbll!

70charger
06-23-2013, 09:25 PM

So you're saying the front office had a plan and wasn't just ridiculously incompetent? But wait, that does NOT fit the narrative. Whatever will we do?

johnnydakota
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Good for the Kid ,hope good things for you ,and that you continue to develpoe into a star player

jokin
06-23-2013, 09:48 PM
So you're saying the front office had a plan and wasn't just ridiculously incompetent? But wait, that does NOT fit the narrative. Whatever will we do?

You asked "whatever will we do?" Simple. How about instead, we follow the narrative of other presently successful teams that have successfully fast-tracked their future star players more quickly to major league success>? Simple, really it is.

greengoblinrulz
06-23-2013, 09:52 PM
what was setback.....more headaches/fatigue from concussion??

jay
06-23-2013, 10:31 PM
How about instead, we follow the narrative of other presently successful teams that have successfully fast-tracked their future star players more quickly to major league success>? Simple, really it is.

I know you have a few examples that you like to highlight, but it's hard to make the case that the Twins aren't fast tracking these guys.

The Top 10 Youngest Players In Each League On Opening Day - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/top-10-youngest-players/)

Oswaldo Arcia - Started year as 6th youngest in Int'l League. Now in MLB. High-end prospects like Trevor Bauer and Wil Myers were both older in AAA.
Miguel Sano - Started year as youngest in FSL. Now in AA. High-end prospects like Gary Sanchez (NYY) and Javier Baez were both older in H-A and are still there. Practically right on track with Oscar Taveras' timeline.
Byron Buxton - Now in H-A. Wasn't top 10 youngest in Midwest, but started at same level as #1 pick from his draft class. High-end prospects Carlos Correa and Dorssys Paulino are still there. Francisco Lindor (top-15 prospect) is still in L-A. Would be youngest in H-A as of this list.

There is nothing to show that Buxton and Sano won't arrive along the same timeline as a guy like Mike Trout. Harper and Machado are essentially the only two examples of younger guys, compared to the overwhelming vast majority that come along older even if we just look at similarly elite prospects.

Thegrin
06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Buxton looks like a stud, hits like a stud and fields like a stud. He's earned his promotion. Let's see if he is a stud in High-A.

Halsey Hall
06-23-2013, 11:28 PM
I really think Buxton won't miss a beat in Ft Myers, and could get another promotion yet this season.

nicksaviking
06-23-2013, 11:38 PM
This was a week late!

Now he'll never be an effective big leaguer! This organization is in shambles! :s-chainsaw:

This makes all the *****ing and moaning in the other threads even less than useless. But fire Terry Ryan anyway! Wharrgarrbbbll!

What's with all the trolling in this thread? Aren't there rules against that?

jokin
06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
I know you have a few examples that you like to highlight, but it's hard to make the case that the Twins aren't fast tracking these guys.

The Top 10 Youngest Players In Each League On Opening Day - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/top-10-youngest-players/)

Oswaldo Arcia - Started year as 6th youngest in Int'l League. Now in MLB. High-end prospects like Trevor Bauer and Wil Myers were both older in AAA.
Miguel Sano - Started year as youngest in FSL. Now in AA. High-end prospects like Gary Sanchez (NYY) and Javier Baez were both older in H-A and are still there. Practically right on track with Oscar Taveras' timeline.
Byron Buxton - Now in H-A. Wasn't top 10 youngest in Midwest, but started at same level as #1 pick from his draft class. High-end prospects Carlos Correa and Dorssys Paulino are still there. Francisco Lindor (top-15 prospect) is still in L-A. Would be youngest in H-A as of this list.

There is nothing to show that Buxton and Sano won't arrive along the same timeline as a guy like Mike Trout. Harper and Machado are essentially the only two examples of younger guys, compared to the overwhelming vast majority that come along older even if we just look at similarly elite prospects.

Good info, but inaccurate on Mike Trout.

Trout played 2 levels at age 17- Rk & Low-A. Played 2 levels at age 18- A & A+. Played 2 levels, including AA and a Major League call-up at 19. Next year- called up from short-stint @ AAA for good at age 20.

Sano played GCL at 17. Played Rookie Ball only at 18. Played low-A ball only at 19. Is playing 2 levels for the first time at age 20. Next year @ 21? TBD- but a possible major league call-up would then be in his 5th year of professional ball.

Buxton played 2 rookie levels at 18. Is playing A and A+ at 19. Next year @ 20? A+ repeat- or promote to AA- to start out? If it goes really well at AA, he could get a call-up next year @ age 20. I would love to see it, but it hasn't exactly been the Twins Way over time- Joe Mauer made it up just two weeks short of his 21st birthday- in his 4th year as a pro.

Larsbars08
06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Considering that both Sano and Mauer spent the entire year in Low-A ball despite mashing near the top of the league, the fact that Buxton was promoted at the halfway point likely means that we shouldn't be comparing his career trajectory to other Twins prospects. The Twins promotion of Buxton is downright aggressive when compared to the usual prospect path for the organization. Even if Buxton's OPS drops 150 points, his numbers would still be incredibly impressive for a 19 year old at A+, who also is a wizard in CF.

There are still 55-60 games left in the season for him, plenty of time for the Twins to get a measured look at his progress at a higher level. If he continues to do well, there is no reason he won't be starting the season next year in AA.

Seth Stohs
06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm really hoping that Buxton can be about league average in Ft. Myers the rest of this year. That would be pretty impressive. My assumption is it won't come easy. Pitching is a little better. Fielding is a little better. He'll be find on defense, but I'm intrigued by how he'll do.

mike wants wins
06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Awesome news.

Ncgo4
06-24-2013, 07:59 AM
This will tell us much of we need to know. The Florida State League is not known as a hitter's league. From all reports he's got an amazing attitude and soaks up the teaching like a sponge. If he can pull an Arcia/Rosario/Sano he might really fast track. Remember last year at this time Arcia was also in Fort Myers.

You never know how these young guys will adjust and I am not predicting that Buck will tear up the league...but he just might be that 1 in 10-20 year player. It's a great time to be a twins fan, innit?

One thing, if he get's off to a crazy fast start, how nuts will this board get?

ericchri
06-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Cedar Rapids is already in the playoffs, Ft. Myers is already in the playoffs. New Britain didn't make it first half, and it looks like they have their work cut out for them to make it second half. Honestly, if Buxton hits well at Ft. Myers for a month and it looks like New Britain needs help, could he get a call to play there for a month in hopes he could spark a playoff push?

Regardless, good luck to Buxton at the next level! As a Twins fan I'm a little happier right now.

spycake
06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
After his super-hot start, his HR power has come back to earth a little bit -- not surprising for a guy his age, Mike Trout's minor league power was largely based on doubles and triples too. He can still hit the ball a long way, though -- hope to see that continue, even if he's not a 30+ HR type hitter yet.

I was really skeptical of Buxton around the draft, and even after his rookie league season, because I was afraid he would be more tools than performance. He's really proven me wrong so far. Congrats to him, keep it up!

mike wants wins
06-24-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm with spycake, he has greatly exceeded any expectations I had (probably most of us....who thought he might be the top prospect in baseball....). Based on everything we read, he seemed likely to be more raw / toolsy this early in his career. Looking forward to seeing him in MN in 1-3 years.....

ThePuck
06-24-2013, 09:36 AM

There's little to no consistency when it comes to warnings and bannings and such.

The fact that those posts are still on this thread and the people who posted them didn't get warnings and their posts deleted speaks volumes. I've gotten warnings for stuff much, much tamer.

spycake
06-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Cedar Rapids is already in the playoffs, Ft. Myers is already in the playoffs. New Britain didn't make it first half, and it looks like they have their work cut out for them to make it second half. Honestly, if Buxton hits well at Ft. Myers for a month and it looks like New Britain needs help, could he get a call to play there for a month in hopes he could spark a playoff push?

Interesting. Right now, primarily due to birthdays (at draft time, Trout was still 17 while Buxton was 18 and a half), Buxton trails Trout's promotion schedule a little bit. But an August 2013 promotion to AA would basically match Trout's April 2011 AA debut. It would definitely be cool to see if he keeps raking at high-A!

mike wants wins
06-24-2013, 09:39 AM
My money would be on him spending all year in high A, and I personally would have no issue with that....next year in AA and maybe AAA/MLB. That's plenty fast for a HS player.

jay
06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Good info, but inaccurate on Mike Trout.

Trout played 2 levels at age 17- Rk & Low-A. Played 2 levels at age 18- A & A+. Played 2 levels, including AA and a Major League call-up at 19. Next year- called up from short-stint @ AAA for good at age 20.

Sano played GCL at 17. Played Rookie Ball only at 18. Played low-A ball only at 19. Is playing 2 levels for the first time at age 20. Next year @ 21? TBD- but a possible major league call-up would then be in his 5th year of professional ball.

Buxton played 2 rookie levels at 18. Is playing A and A+ at 19. Next year @ 20? A+ repeat- or promote to AA- to start out? If it goes really well at AA, he could get a call-up next year @ age 20. I would love to see it, but it hasn't exactly been the Twins Way over time- Joe Mauer made it up just two weeks short of his 21st birthday- in his 4th year as a pro.

Fair enough, but I think the evidence still strongly supports that the Twins are moving these guys quickly even in comparison to other elite prospects. An incredibly small sample of a few guys making it maybe a year earlier doesn't prove otherwise.

The best of the best prospects seem to make it before or at 22. If Sano comes up next year after let's say the Super 2 deadline, he'll be barely 21. I could also see Buxton up next year for a September call up where he'll still be 20.

ericchri
06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't honestly expect him to go any farther this year than Ft. Myers, and I'm fine with that. But I just couldn't help wondering if there'd be any way playing the "help our affiliates out" game could potentially cause him to get another promotion this year when he might not otherwise.

jay
06-24-2013, 10:01 AM

I don't think every use of sarcasm is considered trolling, but I went ahead and edited my post anyway.

Seeing that reaction from so many folks would seem to be pretty telling though. I think it's been bottled-up and the dam broke, so to speak.

jun
06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
What about Vargas? I think he needs a promotion as well.

diehardtwinsfan
06-24-2013, 10:52 AM

He hasn't dominated quite as much. I'm guessing he finishes the year in A+ and starts in AA for 2014.

jay
06-24-2013, 12:03 PM

He hasn't dominated quite as much. I'm guessing he finishes the year in A+ and starts in AA for 2014.

A .939 OPS in the FSL is pretty darn good. Good enough for 4th in the league behind only some guy named Sano and two other guys.

I'm hoping he moves up to AA within the next few weeks since there isn't anything but filler there now. It'd free up a spot at H-A for Dalton Hicks (5th in Midwest league in OPS) and 6' 10" Aussie Rory Rhodes can move up from E-Town.

ThePuck
06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
A .939 OPS in the FSL is pretty darn good. Good enough for 4th in the league behind only some guy named Sano and two other guys.

I'm hoping he moves up to AA within the next few weeks since there isn't anything but filler there now. It'd free up a spot at H-A for Dalton Hicks (5th in Midwest league in OPS) and 6' 10" Aussie Rory Rhodes can move up from E-Town.

That's what I was thinking :-)

diehardtwinsfan
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM

I did not realize he was doing that well. I take that back. Might not hurt to move him.