PDA

View Full Version : Article: 2013 Elizabethton Twins Preview

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 09:39 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1924-2013-Elizabethton-Twins-Preview

Monkeypaws
06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Nice rundown. On paper they don't look as strong as last years team, that's the impression I get.

twinkiesfan11
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Nice rundown. On paper they don't look as strong as last years team, that's the impression I get.

I noticed the same, will be curious to see how the GCL roster shakes out. At first glance it appears that there's quite a drop off in terms of position talent in the rookie leagues. Seems like a pretty big change from recent years. Have the Twins over-corrected a bit the past two drafts by going so pitching heavy?

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 11:01 AM
My observations - Which I think I'll add to the bottom of the article after posting this - I see this roster and it's not terribly exciting. There are some really exciting pitchers that are young and came from the GCL last year... But overall, this roster looks a little older than normal to me. I get that Gallant and Shibuya are just there rehabbing and getting a few innings before moving, but I think it speaks to something more. I think the change in the draft rules mean less high school kids being drafted after the 5th or 6th rounds, and more college players drafted and signing. They're not really in a position to be in the Midwest League yet, and they have to fill the roster, so it's a great opportunity for them to learn the pro game and the program. Also, frankly, there are a LOT of 2013 draft picks on this roster and we don't know very much about them. We don't know if they got some steals or really much at all. So, I'm of the impression that this is a potentially down roster, but I guess we'll find out starting tonight.

Boone
06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
A few thoughts:
I'm really excited to see how Felix Jorge and Kuo Hua Lo pitch. They're two of my favorite young prospects.
I was disappointed to see that Angel Mata was released. I always found him intriguing.
There seems to be a lack of young, exciting bats compared to past years. Fortunately our other lower levels are stacked in that regard.

IdahoPilgrim
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
One thing I have always wondered is how Elizabethton compares to other Appy League teams as to their place in each organization's pyramid. All the full-season leagues are pretty standard - everybody has a Triple-AAA, a Double-AA, and high-A and a low-A team. Below that it varies greatly from organization to organization. Many have a short-season A team, which is above the rookie level. Some have two rookie level teams, and then there are the complex-based teams (GCL,AZL) as well.

For Minnesota, Elizabethton (Appy league) is at the top of the short-season pyramid, but are some other franchises sending their appy league affiliates the second or third string players? For example, Kansas City has two rookie league teams, one in the Appy league and one in the Pioneer league (I'll be watching them tonight - season opener!). Their top draft choice is coming here, to Idaho Falls - not Burlington.

Anybody else have any comments to add about this. Just curious.

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
The NY-Penn League is another such league where I think 6 or so organizations send their college picks. Most are like the Twins in that their Appy League team is their top short-season affiliate. It would likely be similar to the Pioneer League, I assume.

roger
06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I have been waiting for today for the past ten months as I look forward to the next step for the great group of 'young arms' the GCL Twins had last year.

Unlike the past few years, when the Appy League Twins have had players like Angel Morales, Arcia, Rosario, Sano, Buxton, Walker, Hicks, Polanco and Goodrum, this year's team doesn't have any position players who we are familiar with. What it does have is potentially a very, very good starting rotation.

We will have to see if less offense and better pitching can again win it all!

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I have been waiting for today for the past ten months as I look forward to the next step for the great group of 'young arms' the GCL Twins had last year.

Unlike the past few years, when the Appy League Twins have had players like Angel Morales, Arcia, Rosario, Sano, Buxton, Walker, Hicks, Polanco and Goodrum, this year's team doesn't have any position players who we are familiar with. What it does have is potentially a very, very good starting rotation.

We will have to see if less offense and better pitching can again win it all!

I'm curious how that plays out too because although those pitchers from last year's GCL team are talented, they're also 2 years younger than the league average and pitching in small ballparks, so that will be interesting to follow. But, for me, Jorge, Landa, Rosario, Lo and Malinowski are interesting. I know Malinowski is not in the starting rotation at the season's start, but he should make some starts at some point.

IdahoPilgrim
06-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Seth. I did a little more research, and found that of the 10 teams in the Appy league, 6 are affiliated with organizations that have short-season A teams, to which they would probably send their best players not in full-season leagues. Two others have two rookie teams (KC,CWS). Only Elizabethton (MIN) and Danville (ATL) are alone at the top of their respective short-season pyramids.

It does cause me to wonder if the regular success of Elizabethton (they haven't had a losing season since 1988, and they have finished above .600 ever since 2004) is because our "first team" short season players are facing the "second team" short seasons players of most of the other franchises.

Of course, at this level, does it really matter?

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks, Seth. I did a little more research, and found that of the 10 teams in the Appy league, 6 are affiliated with organizations that have short-season A teams, to which they would probably send their best players not in full-season leagues. Two others have two rookie teams (KC,CWS). Only Elizabethton (MIN) and Danville (ATL) are alone at the top of their respective short-season pyramids.

It does cause me to wonder if the regular success of Elizabethton (they haven't had a losing season since 1988, and they have finished above .600 ever since 2004) is because our "first team" short season players are facing the "second team" short seasons players of most of the other franchises.

Of course, at this level, does it really matter?

Good research... I'd absolutely always say that Appy League numbers have to be looked at with a large grain of salt, for sure. It's not to say they're completely meaningless, but age is more of a factor than the numbers.

To your last question, it absolutely doesn't matter at all. What matters is what happens the next year. The players in the short-season leagues go to Low-A. The Twins send highly drafted college players to Ft. Myers. So, what matters more than that they play at E-Town is what happens the following year.

Tibs
06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Probably the wrong thread, but do you have any news on Rich Harden? Last I heard about a month ago his rehab wasn't going well. I'm guessing I shouldn't expect to hear much about him.

Jeff A
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Romy Jimenez used to be Romy Trinidad, right? You've probably mentioned this before, but why did it change?

Madre Dos
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Nice picture Seth! I will keep everyone posted on how we're doing in Elizabethton. Just glad that none of the boys were injured in the wreck while they were coming in from Fort Myers.

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Romy Jimenez used to be Romy Trinidad, right? You've probably mentioned this before, but why did it change?

Correct... I don't know the Why, but it's certainly not unusual for players from the Dominican.

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice picture Seth! I will keep everyone posted on how we're doing in Elizabethton. Just glad that none of the boys were injured in the wreck while they were coming in from Fort Myers.

Ah yes, photo courtesy of Ms. Madre Dos!

KernelsGuy1
06-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Any idea of who could possibly reach CR this season or we'll see as the summer goes along?

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-20-2013, 04:32 PM
You know, I actually think they will be a good team. For the wrong reasons though. Age over talent. Kuo Hua Lo, Stuart Turner, and Felix Jorge should be worth checking on every so often. Other than them, I don't see much for prospects. Although, we could have some draftees break out here.

Shane Wahl
06-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Great article, average team. The best players here will be in Cedar Rapids soonish and the rest are problematic. How Rhodes is not immediately sent to CR is beyond me.

twinstalker
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
You know, I actually think they will be a good team. For the wrong reasons though. Age over talent. Kuo Hua Lo, Stuart Turner, and Felix Jorge should be worth checking on every so often. Other than them, I don't see much for prospects. Although, we could have some draftees break out here.

It will be a good team in the Appy league for the simple reason that this is a high rookie league for the Twins, but a lot of other organizations use it as a low rookie league. That's why the E-Twins win it so often.

silverslugger
06-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Seth,

35 player roster and 19 pitchers! Are there no limits in the Appy League? Is this normal for the Twins to place so many in Elizabethton? I understand that a couple of the pitchers are rehabbing, but still...where will these pitchers get their innings? Insight appreciated.