PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/16): Kernels Krumble

Seth Stohs
06-16-2013, 08:17 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1896-Twins-Minor-League-Report-(6-16)-Kernels-Krumble

Pitz
06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Very nice to see Niko back in action (and having a great game).

Seth Stohs
06-17-2013, 01:33 PM
No question. It was a scary injury, so it's great that he's back and had a terrific first game.

Jeff A
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Looks like DeVries was pretty good for five innings before hitting the wall in the sixth.

MWLFan
06-17-2013, 03:33 PM
I made it down to CR to catch Buxton and maybe Hicks one last time. Was very happy to have seen Niko. A couple of other people around me were there to see Buxton before he went and we chatted about his tools and promise, but by the end of the game the players we talked about more were Niko, Polanco and Hicks. Niko looks good at Shortstop, for a taller middle infielder he moves well and covers a lot of ground. His foot work was solid and smooth and his arm strong and accurate. His bat is as advertised for yesterday at least. Dalton was hitting everything hard, his homer was a monster to right field and his double was a opposite field shot to the power alley in left that screamed over the left fielder. Polanco I have seen a few times now and finally get to see him at second were he looks more comfortable and natural. Once again his bat impressed me, this maybe lunacy but I like him as much as I liked Rosario last year for the Snappers. Two real good second baseman in the system. Guys who looked lost right now, Adam Walker. Chasing a lot of stuff low and away. JD Williams. He will probably move up and maybe he needs a boost, but I just don't see in him a player in this system that will make it past the log jam in the OF. Also the Kernals bullpen....wtf? Wow. Melotakis looked ok, he got a bad hop single in the second followed by a well hit double and then a infield hit that lead to 2 runs with one scoring on a DP. In the 5th he had some trouble with another long double and some singles leading to 1 run with a suicide squeeze play perfectly executed bringing in another. Over all I was a bit underwhlemed by his velcoity, he looked to be sitting in the 90-91 range with some 92-93 pitches. His control was good however and he fields his postion pretty well. Not sure if he is going to stay long term in the rotation, if he can bring the FB velocity up to mid 90's or so as a lefty reliever that could be his ticket. But this is just low A ball and a lot can happen.

SD Buhr
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Anyone who thinks the Kernels players didn't care about winning the first half championship once they locked in a playoff spot hasn't been anywhere near the players after the past few games. They were clearly upset at letting the first half division title get away.

I give those guys credit, though, while going through an autograph session was probably the last thing any of them wanted to do after letting Sunday's game get away from them, they were all out in right field for the weekly fan autograph session after the game. Byron Buxton sat very patiently for a very long time until everyone who wanted his autograph got it. Classy all around.

MWLFan, re: pitch speed, keep in mind the MPH on the CR scoreboard registers 1.5-2 MPH slower than actual speed because the gun is up at pressbox level. So when you see 91-93 on the board, the ball is actually coming in 92.5-95 mph.

I confirmed that again recently with BA's JJ Cooper when he was in town. He told me he has a new model of the "Stalker" radar gun and it not only was registering 1.5-2 mph higher than the scoreboard, but also somewhat higher than what the Kernels pitchers who sit in the scouts area in civies during games charting pitches were getting with the team's older version of the "Stalker." (The pitchers obviously wish the team would get the new model so they would get credit for those extra MPH!)

And... just to add a teaser... I interviewed Melotakis (as well as DJ Hicks) Saturday and I asked for his thoughts on starting vs relieving. Look for the interview to be posted in the next day or so.

jokin
06-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Anyone who thinks the Kernels players didn't care about winning the first half championship once they locked in a playoff spot hasn't been anywhere near the players after the past few games. They were clearly upset at letting the first half division title get away.

I give those guys credit, though, while going through an autograph session was probably the last thing any of them wanted to do after letting Sunday's game get away from them, they were all out in right field for the weekly fan autograph session after the game. Byron Buxton sat very patiently for a very long time until everyone who wanted his autograph got it. Classy all around.

MWLFan, re: pitch speed, keep in mind the MPH on the CR scoreboard registers 1.5-2 MPH slower than actual speed because the gun is up at pressbox level. So when you see 91-93 on the board, the ball is actually coming in 92.5-95 mph.

I confirmed that again recently with BA's JJ Cooper when he was in town. He told me he has a new model of the "Stalker" radar gun and it not only was registering 1.5-2 mph higher than the scoreboard, but also somewhat higher than what the Kernels pitchers who sit in the scouts area in civies during games charting pitches were getting with the team's older version of the "Stalker." (The pitchers obviously wish the team would get the new model so they would get credit for those extra MPH!)

And... just to add a teaser... I interviewed Melotakis (as well as DJ Hicks) Saturday and I asked for his thoughts on starting vs relieving. Look for the interview to be posted in the next day or so.

Anxious to hear about Melotakis. Is he still the #2 pitching prospect behind Berrios at Cedar Rapids? What has happened with his strikeout pitch and all of his wildness this season?

clutterheart
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Melotakis
He is a relief pitcher. Twins are wasting his time trying to get him to start.

mike wants wins
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Nice to read about the autographs. Classy.

Seth Stohs
06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Melotakis
He is a relief pitcher. Twins are wasting his time trying to get him to start.

I agree long-term, but I don't see it as a waste of time at all. Carlos Gutierrez was never able to figure out a 2nd pitch, but Melotakis has three pitches that are solid. He should work on those and that will make him a better, more dominant reliever long term as well.

If it were me, I'd get him to 100 innings, then move him to the bullpen. or, I'd promote him now to the Ft. Myers bullpen. Then next year, I'd again have him start the season as a starter. And end it up a level in the bullpen.

Also, there is a ton more value in starters than relievers, so if it does work out, that would be great. He's been solid enough as a starter in the first half not to give up on that.

mike wants wins
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm ok with leaving Melo as a starter for now, but there are other, more experienced minor leaguers who have never pitched well as a starter, if I'm them, I want to move to relief and see if I can have a career, or even a year or two.

Seth Stohs
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm ok with leaving Melo as a starter for now, but there are other, more experienced minor leaguers who have never pitched well as a starter, if I'm them, I want to move to relief and see if I can have a career, or even a year or two.

I also agree... Boer is the top example of that. When he returns from his non-baseball related broken hand, hopefully he's in the bullpen.