PDA

View Full Version : Backup catchers?

stringer bell
06-15-2013, 09:27 PM
If Mauer remains as the Twins primary catcher, maybe the Twins have some candidates who can fill the role of backup catcher or third catcher. Josmiel Pinto has had a terrific year in New Britain, leading the club in all three triple crown categories and OPS. At Rochester Chris Herrmann, after a nice couple of weeks with the Twins, had a pinch hit single to raise his average to .243. Dan Rohlfing, called up to replace Herrmann, is hitting .392 with a .996 OPS in more than 50 plate appearances. He hit over .270 at New Britain. Rohlfing has played first and outfield as well as catcher, while Herrmann has played a lot of outfield and was taking ground balls at third for the Twins. Pinto is only a catcher and has served frequently as the Rock Cats DH. These players progress should make Doumit expendable or probably Drew Butera.

ScottyB
06-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Eventually Pinto will be our starting catcher. Mauer will play mostly 1B, but will also catch at least as much as Doumit does now. If Hermann can in fact play 3B as well as catch and play OF, he will be around as a valuable member of the bench, and be a major leaguer for a long time.

diehardtwinsfan
06-16-2013, 07:58 AM
I don't get the fascination with Herrman. He cannot hit. His minor league OPS is .732, and with each promotion he's gotten worse. Perhaps you all see something I don't, but that bat isn't going to play up at another position. Rohlfing has a career OPS of .655 and has never had an OPS over .710 minus 40 some at bats in Rochester this year. I'd probably temper my enthusiasm with him. SSS is prevalent here, and I think this carriage will be turning back into a pumpkin before the year ends.

Pinto on the other hand sports an .823 career OPS despite struggling in 2010 and 2011 in pitcher friendly leagues. He's gotten better the further along he's moved, and he's only 24. He's the future Doumit, and if his bat plays up, he's going to find himself occasionally subbing at another position or DHing. I'm not sure he's quite as good as Ramos was, but young defensive minded catchers who can put up .900+ OPS in AA don't exactly go on trees. For that matter, young players who can put up a .900 OPS in AA don't exactly grow on trees.

kab21
06-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I think the fascination is that he's better than Butera. :angry:

Herrmann is alright as that backup everything guy but he does hit like a catcher.

ScottyB
06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
In a era of smaller and smaller benches, Hermann's value, to me would come if he could actually play 3B to supplement other positions. Gardy is most at ease when he has 3 catchers. A third string backup who just catches is worthless. Even a catcher who can play OF and/or 1B, isn't that unusual. But to me, if a third string catcher can play a good OF and a competent emergency 3B would make a versatile bench component. I'm thinking a Brandon Inge type. Hermann isn't going to be a regular starter, but as stated above he'd be a much better option than Butera.

darin617
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't get why everyone feels the need for a 3rd catcher. The only thing I can come up with is that Gardy has pulled this we need 3 catchers for so many years people think it is necessary. How many other teams in baseball carry 3 catchers? I can see if they are completely capable at another position. Do you feel confident with Doumit in RF? I sure don't. And the whole time your depth on the bench suffers and you cannot make any moves in a tight game.

diehardtwinsfan
06-16-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't get why everyone feels the need for a 3rd catcher. The only thing I can come up with is that Gardy has pulled this we need 3 catchers for so many years people think it is necessary. How many other teams in baseball carry 3 catchers? I can see if they are completely capable at another position. Do you feel confident with Doumit in RF? I sure don't. And the whole time your depth on the bench suffers and you cannot make any moves in a tight game.

This... For all talk about bench depth, when a team is carrying 12/13 pitchers and 3 catchers, that leaves it with a pretty short bench. I don't mind having a guy who can play catcher in a pinch but has value elsewhere (which if the bat continues to develop, guys like Pinto or Koch could be), but no way would I handicap a roster to keep a guy like Herrman on it who cannot hit well and can play a position that can be filled by several other individuals.

ScottyB
06-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Let me explain my logic. First of all, I agree that 3 catchers aren't needed. Gardy is afraid that he might have to go a game with no DH because his 2 catchers DH quite a bit, and he might lose his catcher due to injury. Gardy is a product of the 60's when 3 catchers were routinely on a roster.

Let's look at history a little bit. In the 65 WS Twins' 3rd string catcher John Sevcik, he was the only player not used in that World Series. Rosters in the 60's routinely had only 10 pitchers because you had a 4-man starting rotation. You therefore had 15 players, with no DH, so a bench of 7. Having 3 catchers wasn't a handicap. Pitchers went deeper into games and you didn't have LOOGY's who came into games to face 1 batter. I remember one year when Tony Larusso was managing the Chisox, he almost went with an 8-man staff. He went with 9.

Obviously, the game has completely changed. When your bench is eaten away by the DH and 13-man pitching staffs, you need as much flexibility as possible. Doumit is a liability everywhere in the field, Hermann is not. Gardy prefers to work with a net. Would you prefer to have a bench which includes Drew Butera who we know is a sub .200 hitter and ONLY plays catcher or Chris Hermann available at mutiple positions and in his most recent stint of 7 games batted .462 with a double and an HR plus 4 RBI's and an OPS of 1.302. In the day of a 3 man bench, that kind of player would be valuable. I realize that Hermann's track record does not show he is that type of player. But if he can bat .260 with some pop, play decent defense, and be able to come off the bench to pinch hit, I'd say he is more valuable than even Jamie Carol, who is only on the team for his defense.

greengoblinrulz
06-16-2013, 02:14 PM
with good depth in the system (which necessitated takin 3 Cs in first 1orounds:confused:),this would be a great time to let Hermann get some 3B time instead of relearning it in the majors as well as givin Pinto time @ 1B (any secondary position)......MN has had several guys do position learning in the big leagues the past few yrs & never understood why they dont get that experience in the minors

ScottyB
06-16-2013, 02:18 PM
with good depth in the system (which necessitated takin 3 Cs in first 1orounds:confused:),this would be a great time to let Hermann get some 3B time instead of relearning it in the majors as well as givin Pinto time @ 1B (any secondary position)......MN has had several guys do position learning in the big leagues the past few yrs & never understood why they dont get that experience in the minors

Here, here!

stringer bell
06-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Most teams don't need three catchers, but most teams don't build their lineup and their team around their catcher. The Twins have used one of their catchers at DH more than any other position. It matters, but not so much that they can't go with just two catchers. Three catchers where at least two play other positions isn't too much of a drain on the bench. In 2014, I've envisioned a scenario where Mauer splits his time between catcher and 1B, and where the 25th spot could go to a really versatile guy who catches. I see Pinto as the guy to catch most of the games that Mauer doesn't. I'm not ready to award a roster spot to Herrmann or Rohlfing, but I think their performances when promoted have improved both their confidence and improved their stock with Twins' management.

ashburyjohn
06-16-2013, 04:43 PM
which necessitated takin 3 Cs in first 1orounds:confused:

You need somebody to catch all those young arms you drafted.