PDA

View Full Version : What does your All-Star ballot look like?

2wins87
06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
The All-Star game is the most important game of the year (Home-field advantage!), so obviously careful attention must be paid when filling out our ballots. We must avoid voting for sentimental favorites or just voting for all the Twins on the ballot in early May.

I'll start with my ballot for the AL, and post the NL later.

1B – This one is easy. First-basemen are supposed to hit bombs; Chris Davis hits bombs. Chris Davis, BAL

2B – I think Cano is probably a lock to be the starting second baseman for the AL team, and he is deserving. There is probably going to be a lot of debate though over whether he or Pedroia should be the starter. Pedroia would also be deserving, probably more deserving. But frankly, I'm tired of Cano and the Yankees and I'm tired of Pedroia and the Red Sox so I'm going to go with someone who has arguably played as well as both of them. Howie Kendrick, LAA

SS– This one is between perennially underrated Jhonny Peralta and perennially underrated (especially by Bill Smith and the Twins F.O.) J.J. Hardy. Both are deceptively good fielders, both have some pop. Peralta is having a better overall offensive season, but Hardy has more bombs. But “Jhonny”? I just learned that his name is supposedly due to a clerical error on his birth certificate. I guess that makes me hold it against him less, but still. J.J. Hardy, BAL

3B– This one is easy, despite already having two Orioles, what's not to love about Manny Machado? No more Orioles after this. Manny Machado, BAL

C– Also easy. Joe Mauer, MIN

DH– This is for aging guys who could never field, but tear the cover off the ball year after year. Detroit has too many of those guys, so they often end up on the field playing defense anyway. But I'm going to use a write-in for the guy that really should be here. Miguel Cabrera, DET

OF– First one's easy. Mike Trout, LAA
There are a lot of other guys I like here, but to be fair I'll just go by WAR for the next two, as Fangraphs and BBRef actually agree on who have been the best. Coco Crisp, OAK and Jose Bautista, TOR. Feels a little weird voting for Crisp, but every ballot needs a veteran with no All-Star appearances having a career year.So who's on your ballot?

Gernzy
06-15-2013, 11:32 AM
C -Mauer
1B - Davis
2B - Pedroia
SS - Hardy
3B - Cabrera
DH - Ortiz
OF - Trout
OF - Bautista
OF - Cespedes

fairweather
06-15-2013, 12:13 PM
1B-Davis
2B-Pedroia
SS-Hardy
3B-Cabrera
DH-Encarnacion
C-Arencibia
OF-Trout
OF-Jones
OF-Cruz

fairweather
06-15-2013, 12:24 PM
National League

1B - Goldschmidt, Paul
2B - Carpenter, Matt
SS - Tulowitzki, Troy
3B - Sandoval, Pablo
C - Posey, Buster
OF - Brown, Domonic
OF - Gomez, Carlos
OF - Gonzalez, Carlos

kab21
06-15-2013, 01:29 PM
C - Mauer
1B - Davis
2B - Cano - if you are playing to win then you take Cano because he's better than kendrick (Pedroia could be argued though)
3B - MCab
SS - Hardy - not a lot of options - solid bat and great defense
OF - Trout
OF - Crisp - he's just having a great season
OF - Bautista - this spot is up for grabs with about 5 guys
DH - Ortiz
SP - Verlander

biggentleben
06-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I am one that much more prefers to see the stars of the game at the All-Star game than a guy who happens to perform well in the first half of a season. I'd rather see Albert Pujols in the game than James Loney or Robinson Cano over Jose Altuve. That's for the entire roster, and then I'd reward the stars performing well with the starting roles. After that, I'd put on guys playing out of their minds - Chris Davis, for example.

My ballots didn't look like this because I didn't want to upset El Oso Blanco, but here's what I would do...

AL
Catcher - Joe Mauer, Min
First Base - Prince Fielder, Det
Second Base - Dustin Pedroia, Bos
Third Base - Miguel Cabrera, Det
Shortstop - Jhonny Peralta, Det
Outfield - Alex Gordon, KC; Mike Trout, LAA; Jose Bautista, Tor

NL
Catcher - Yadi Molina, StL
First Base - Joey Votto, Cin
Second Base - Brandon Phillips, Cin
Third Base - David Wright, NYM
Shortstop - Troy Tulowitzki, Col
Outfield - Carlos Gonzalez, Col; Ryan Braun, Mil; Andrew McCutchen, Pit

I would enjoy utilizing both leagues' DH roles to promote a breakout player. In the AL, I'd choose Manny Machado, and in the NL, I'd go with Jean Segura.

My rosters would be filled with more of the typical one-half performers that you see, especially on the pitching staffs, but to me, an All-Star game without the biggest stars of the game on the team is simply folly.

Oldgoat_MN
06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I really like the vote for Crisp.

Very nice for him well into his career.

2wins87
06-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Here's my NL ballot.

1B– Similar to Davis in the AL, Paul Goldschmidt hits bombs. Paul Goldschmidt, ARI

2B –I can never keep Matt Carpenter and Chris Carpenter straight. I also don't know how St. Louis keeps on managing to get such good production out of all of these position players with All-American sounding names that you've never heard of. David Freese, Jon Jay, Allen Craig, now Matt Carpenter. Anyway, I'm not really interested in seeing Utley and Phillips again, so Carpenter it is. Matt Carpenter, STL

SS– This one seems pretty easy. Troy Tulowitzki, COL

3B– Who doesn't want to see Captain America in the All-Star game? David Wright, NYM

C– This one also seems pretty easy, except there are actually a few deserving candidates. Still, I'm always going to go with the guy that plays great defense and hits as well. Yadier Molina, STL

OF– First two are easy. Carlos Gomez, MILand Carlos Gonzalez, COL. After that it gets hard. Hunter Pence doesn't generally seem like an All-Star, but he's having a really good year. Andrew McCutchen is part of the next class of superstars and he's also having a good year. But Hunter Pence plays like he just stepped out of a time machine from the 1910's and chugged a liter of Red Bull. But McCutchen is coming off of back-to-back 5+ WAR seasons. But Hunter Pence has crazy eyes and swings like he's fighting off invisible demons. I want to see Hunter Pence. Hunter Pence, SFG

2wins87
06-16-2013, 06:59 AM
I am one that much more prefers to see the stars of the game at the All-Star game than a guy who happens to perform well in the first half of a season.

I sort of agree with this, but I always prefer to see a young, future superstar in his breakout years rather than an established superstar in his decline. Too many guys get voted in year after year even when they start playing really poorly.

biggentleben
06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
I sort of agree with this, but I always prefer to see a young, future superstar in his breakout years rather than an established superstar in his decline. Too many guys get voted in year after year even when they start playing really poorly.

No disagreement, but you just need to see the 1990 NL pitching staff to see where the half-season crap can be dumb. Jack Armstrong starts the game while the NL Cy Young winner and another in the top 5 for the season don't make the game at all.

I would much rather see Chris Davis play than Albert Pujols, but just last year, Brian LaHair had an All-Star roster spot and barely cracked 100 ABs after the All-Star game because he was terrible (and he was horrid after April, so he had already been terrible for two months when he was put on the team).

stringer bell
06-16-2013, 06:05 PM
I voted Davis, Cano, Hardy, and Miggy in the infield. Machado will be there for sure. He's a great player, but we can't deny the Triple Crown winner. In the outfield, Alex Gordon, Trout, and Bautista. My DH vote went to Ortiz. BTW, I voted for Cuddyer as an All-Star in the NL. He doesn't have quite enough at-bats to qualify (5 short), but he would be in the top five in both OPS and Batting Average.

stringer bell
06-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Torii has fallen to fourth among AL outfielders and the vote at Comerica is over. While I am a Hunter fan, Torii Hunter doesn't have All-Star numbers. Bautista, Gordon, Crisp, Nelson Cruz and a half dozen other guys have better overall numbers than Torii Hunter.

2wins87
06-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Torii has fallen to fourth among AL outfielders and the vote at Comerica is over. While I am a Hunter fan, Torii Hunter doesn't have All-Star numbers. Bautista, Gordon, Crisp, Nelson Cruz and a half dozen other guys have better overall numbers than Torii Hunter.

Although it's not like Markakis is really a better choice.

Willihammer
06-17-2013, 12:22 PM
C -Mauer
1B - Davis
2B - Pedroia
SS - Hardy
3B - Cabrera
DH - Ortiz
OF - Trout
OF - Bautista
OF - Cespedes

This was mine too

Sarah
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I remember a few years ago when either Cal Ripken or Ozzie Smith got selected for the All-Star game not because they were having a great season but because they were retiring after that year and it would be their last All-Star game. Is that really a good use of the last spot? It's always fun to debate stuff like this!

TheLeviathan
06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Boy, these lists tell me that the OF selection in the AL is not pretty.

ThePuck
06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
AL, then NL

C: Mauer/Molina
1B: Davis/Goldschmidt
2B: Cano/Carpenter
SS: Hardy/Tulo
3B: Cabrera/Wright
OF: Trout-Crisp-A Jones/Gonzalez-Gomez-Beltran
DH: Ortiz