PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/13): Slama Freed

Seth Stohs
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1888-Twins-Minor-League-Report-(6-13)-Slama-Freed

clutterheart
06-14-2013, 02:16 AM
What is Albers throwing that makes him so effective?
His K/9 is pretty good at 7.9
His BB/9 is really good at 2.3
His FIP is pretty good at 3.3
His ERA is good at a 3.00
His 2012 are reasonable similar so its hard to say its a total fluke.

Do the Twins have a good pitcher down there? Just because of his lack of name recognition its easy to dismiss him as a "back of the rotation / AAAA filer" type of guy.

But looking into his stats, I'm not so sure.

mike wants wins
06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Albers success is intriguing, I agree.

Han Joelo
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
I wasn't really a vocal "Free Slama" campaigner, but in hindsight I should've. Not saying the scouts are wrong and he was going to thrive, but anyone with his numbers+service time deserved an extended shot. If for no other reason than to collect a big league paycheck for a month or two.

I'm an out of state Twins fan who chooses to follow the Twins because I happen to like their organizational values, but as you stated, in this case, hard work didn't seem to pay off.

Easy to get excited about sure-fire talents, but I am just as interested in the human side of the game. At 29, what's next for Slama? Does he have a family to support? Does he have regular world job skills? Anyhow, best of luck to him. Glory days.

Buxton is so good that a bad day at the office is a one for fiver that happens to be a home run.

jokin
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Albers success is intriguing, I agree.

A Albers - International League man of mystery...

Question. How many guys have made the major leagues from the baseball hotbed that is Saskatchewan?
And who was the last one and when?

mike wants wins
06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
I wasn't really a vocal "Free Slama" campaigner, but in hindsight I should've. Not saying the scouts are wrong and he was going to thrive, but anyone with his numbers+service time deserved an extended shot. If for no other reason than to collect a big league paycheck for a month or two.

I'm an out of state Twins fan who chooses to follow the Twins because I happen to like their organizational values, but as you stated, in this case, hard work didn't seem to pay off.

Easy to get excited about sure-fire talents, but I am just as interested in the human side of the game. At 29, what's next for Slama? Does he have a family to support? Does he have regular world job skills? Anyhow, best of luck to him. Glory days.

Buxton is so good that a bad day at the office is a one for fiver that happens to be a home run.

Great post. I think that's all most of us wanted, especially since there were guys that just were not that good up here, not playing well. Just give him a longer shot, in place of guys we knew were not good with some certainty.

drjim
06-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I also think Slama had some bad luck. The times it would have been most obvious to call him up (ie last two seasons) he has either been struggling or injured.

He is a classic can't scout the stat line guy. He didn't throw all that hard, struggled with control, didn't hold runners well.

That said, and other Slama remarks aside, it would have been nice for him to get more of a reward for his contributions.

spycake
06-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Question. How many guys have made the major leagues from the baseball hotbed that is Saskatchewan?
BB-Ref doesn't break it down by province, but just scanning the Canadian player list for major Saskatchewan cities, all I noticed was Reggie Cleveland (who was an "all-star" of sorts ;)).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/Canada_born.shtml

EDIT: Found another list which says Terry Puhl was born there too, and he was active until 1991:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/birthplace.php?loc=Canada

spycake
06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I also think Slama had some bad luck. The times it would have been most obvious to call him up (ie last two seasons) he has either been struggling or injured.
2011 was pretty inexcusable. The Twins lost several top setup men prior to that season, and actually went out and traded for Jim Hoey and gave him 26 games, signed Dusty Hughes and gave him 15 games, continued using Alex Burnett and his 5+ ERA instead of finally giving him some AAA time, etc. Slama was healthy until July, but only got two games with the Twins before going back down. Certainly one of those early-season audition spots could have gone to Slama, who was already dominating his third season at AAA while the Twins struggled out of contention.

2012 wasn't much better. Although the Twins MLB bullpen was improved, the team wasn't overall, and they still went out and got Jeff Gray for the whole season, Matt Maloney, gave 40 appearances to Tyler Robertson, etc. Slama was healthy until June, and came back looking good in August, but never made even one appearance for the big league club.

I don't think he would have been a star, and other teams and scouts frequently passed on acquiring him, but it was pretty lame that the Twins didn't even give him a look beyond 7 innings over two last-place seasons. Who knows, maybe the scouts were wrong and they could have netted some Neshek-style performances for awhile.

twinsnorth49
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Gordie Howe............................no wait, that's not right.

twinsnorth49
06-14-2013, 10:37 AM

And who was the last one and when? Is this the official make fun of Saskatchewan thread? Exciting!

I hit a homerun in Saskatchewan once, watched it roll away for two weeks..................thanks, I'll be here all week.

twinsnorth49
06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
How many of you guys had to Google Saskatchewan to spell it? C'mon, admit it.

Han Joelo
06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Mike,
hard to reconcile an organizational approach that seems to reward hard work and loyalty with Slama's career. Maybe it was timing and injuries. I just wish for him that he'd been given a better chance, and even if it didn't work, he'd have made enough for a down payment on a house as he eventually joins the rest of us Schmucks in the "real" world.

jokin
06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
BB-Ref doesn't break it down by province, but just scanning the Canadian player list for major Saskatchewan cities, all I noticed was Reggie Cleveland (who was an "all-star" of sorts ;)).

Players by birthplace : Canada Baseball Stats and Info - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/Canada_born.shtml)

EDIT: Found another list which says Terry Puhl was born there too, and he was active until 1991:

Major League Baseball Players Born in Canada (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/birthplace.php?loc=Canada)

Ding, ding, ding. You are correct, sir. Puhl actually made the All Star team once, as well and had a 15 year career as a fairly decent OFer for the Astros. I was shocked to learn that there have been 7 native Sashaktchewanders that have played MLB ball. I think that rates them a step higher than Manitoba and New Brunswick- baseball hotbed, indeed.

Looking forward to Albers soon representing "Roughriders nation", and putting the province back on the MLB map.:whacky028:

h2oface
06-14-2013, 01:41 PM
It seems that Slama's youth was stolen by the Twins' system, used up and spit out. I will never understand why they didn't just release him 3 or 4 years ago if they were never going to give him a shot.

DAM DC Twins Fans
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Outstanding post--I could not have said it any better...hopefully some team picks him up and gives Slama the real shot the Twins never gave him.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm starting to think that Albers could be the new Slama.

AM.
06-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Anthony Slama deserved better. Aaron Hicks had an inconsistent minor-league career, skipped AAA entirely, and struggled mightily upon his arrival in the majors, and yet was never sent down, even after more than two months of poor overall performance (albeit trending in the right direction).

Slama, on the other hand, was consistently dominant throughout his minors career, stayed at AAA for a long time, and got yanked almost immediately upon struggling when he got to the majors, never to be given another chance, while numerous players with much worse results and track records were.

The Twins brass kept saying stuff about how Hicks had "earned it.". But the Twins organization seems pretty hypocritical, given this sort of unequal treatment of its organizational players.

AM.
06-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Alex Burnett would be another comparison. Skipped AAA enitirely, and given a long leash in the majors, despite questionable performance.

AM.
06-15-2013, 05:51 AM
It is somehow poetic that the Twins replace Slama with someone who has spent four seasons in AAA with higher walk rates and worse overall numbers than Slama.

drjim
06-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Anthony Slama deserved better. Aaron Hicks had an inconsistent minor-league career, skipped AAA entirely, and struggled mightily upon his arrival in the majors, and yet was never sent down, even after more than two months of poor overall performance (albeit trending in the right direction).

Slama, on the other hand, was consistently dominant throughout his minors career, stayed at AAA for a long time, and got yanked almost immediately upon struggling when he got to the majors, never to be given another chance, while numerous players with much worse results and track records were.

The Twins brass kept saying stuff about how Hicks had "earned it.". But the Twins organization seems pretty hypocritical, given this sort of unequal treatment of its organizational players.

Hicks and Slama have nothing to do with each other for a variety of reasons.

I challenge you to do more than read a stat line when analyzing minor league players.

AM.
06-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Do Alex Burnett and Anthony Slama also have nothing to do with each other?

Please educate me with your wisdom!