PDA

View Full Version : Monday Game Thread: Cedar Rapids Kernels on FSN!

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
The Kernels are on FSN, pregame started already... Let's discuss the game here. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions, etc.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Lineup:
Byron Buxton 8 (Enjoy!)
JD Williams 7 (affable, great athlete, tons of walks)
Jorge Polanco 6 (surprised me with how good he is. Plays 2B when Goodrum healthy)
DJ Hicks 3 (power, think Dunn when you look at him - just dont' get your hopes up quite that hi!)
Adam BrettWalker 9 (tons of power, good athlete)
Travis Harrison 5 (tons of power and more potential. Solid all-around hitter Glove much better this year!)
Tyler Grimes 2 (first year of catching, earlier in the year, he told me that he was just adjusting to the various movements behind the plate, stretching, etc. He can hit)
Michael Quesada DH (another catching option, he can hit)
Candido Pimentel 4 (Appy League Player of the Year last year, middle infield backup, great speed, little guy)
LHP Mason Melotakis (2nd rounder last year, moved to starter after relieving mostly in college)

InfraRen
06-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Also, if you're at work (like me) you can listen here: Listen Live | 1450 KMRY Radio Station - Cedar Rapids, Iowa (http://www.kmryradio.com/listen-live/)

InfraRen
06-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I honestly would buy a Buxton jersey right now if he wasn't wearing Mauer's number.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
If you like a constant buzzing sound this game will be fun to watch, at least it's in low def. Of course they decided to shrink the screen to show the foxsports net crew so thats good. I guess if you're a Cubs fan you'll have no clue when the top prospects are batting.

stringer bell
06-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Look luck Kernels! I am DVRing the game, since I am at work. Just watched their last two games in person. I'm sure the guys will be a little nervous being on TV! Kane County (I believe they are playing them again) has six of the top 20 or 21 prospects in the MWL according to Jim Krikket.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Seth, can Polanco stick at SS?

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:18 PM
There even shrinking the screen for Buxton? I couldn't imagine watching this on even a 36 inch screen.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Glad I get to watch this game on 15 to 20% of my screen.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Seth, can Polanco stick at SS?

He'll continue to play there all the way up, but a lot will depend on Niko Goodrum who has a very strong arm. The question about Polanco is his arm.

spycake
06-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I love the idea of this, and not just for Buxton hype -- it's cool to watch minor league baseball in general, and FSN's schedule is pretty bare most of the time anyway.

But yeah, the execution seems a little off. The studio hosts and split screen are a little much. Just show the game!

Rick Niedermann
06-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Besides the obvious names of Duffy, Berrios and Melotakis. Who is the sleeper on the pitching staff that the fans should be following?

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
I can put up with the outer edge being blacked out and I can even put up with all the graphics, the large empty blue bar at the bottom of the non blacked out portion of the screen is going to make me turn this game off as soon as I see Tyler Grimes pop up.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh, I forgot that the guy with the best name in baseball is playing in this game. 1B Rock Shoulders for Kane County.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Byron Buxton flashing some leather!

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Besides the obvious names of Duffy, Berrios and Melotakis. Who is the sleeper on the pitching staff that the fans should be following?

Don't give up on Hudson Boyd. He has some velocity, and when they're on, his Curveball and Changeup are quite good... but he isn't very consistent even from inning to inning yet. But, he's worth following.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Byron Buxton flashing some leather!

That was as good of a catch as we're going to see. That was incredible!

JB_Iowa
06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Could they just not engineer it so that the talking heads were just a little square in the corner and the game was more like 3/4 of the screen?

Just bizarre the way they are doing this. And way too annoying on all the yammering.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Thats a triple saving catch. You can't hit the ball to a better part of the field without putting it over the fence.

JB_Iowa
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I missed Buxton's AB but very impressed with that catch.

But I wish tehy would just let us see the game and play these interviews, etc. afterward or during commercial breaks.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey I think Tyler Grimes got a hit, but why mention the name of the player who just got a hit.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Twitter just exploded after that catch.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Now they aren't even showing the game at all, why are they taking breaks in between innings if they aren't paying attention to the game.

jokin
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM

It would have been even more incredible if we could have watched it on the full screen live.

Who is in charge of signing off on this television overproduction boondoggle? Dave St Peter? Why can't the "talking heads" just be disembodied full-time?

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Full screen and with play by play for Buxton!!!! Heck of a concept.

jokin
06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey I think Tyler Grimes got a hit, but why mention the name of the player who just got a hit.

mike....probably even more frustrating when a relative or namesake is ignored for even more studio blather....?

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Wait did I say full screen? How do they get graphics on the screen for Twins games? Whoever is producing this broadcast should be fired.

jokin
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Wait did I say full screen? How do they get graphics on the screen for Twins games? Whoever is producing this broadcast should be fired.

I'm guessing this goes straight to the top of the organization.

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Not a relative, but a rare white guy with my last name so maybe a distant cousin.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Screen grab of the Byron Buxton catch.
https://twitter.com/Seth_Kaplan/status/344149609930711040/photo/1

jokin
06-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I see they've switched to a completely opposite point of view (literally).

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Is that bigger, maybe a little. Must be an intern straight out of St cloud State.

TwinsFanInPhilly
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, this is an enlightening and fun thread to read

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
When Buxton joins the major league club, does he move Aaron Hicks to left or right?

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
I understand that Tom Kelly looks uncomfortable in a suit. I also understand that his inflection will do nothing to add excitement to any broadcast.

However... If you just listen to what he is saying. His baseball knowledge is Top of the charts. Not many know baseball like Tom Kelly.

We may not like the format of this broadcast but TK is telling everybody how the game and the farm works.

Its pure gold!!!

mike wants wins
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
why even put him in a suit? What is the point, other than "people on tv wear suits"? Suits are a stupid waste of money.

Oh, wish I could listen.....give us details, pls.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
https://vine.co/v/bluUlPMJDDI

What a catch.

jokin
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Well, this is an enlightening and fun thread to read

Please add to the content.

Buxton's catch was nothing short of incredible. It would be really nice to get a chance to eyeball each prospect and what they have to show for potential on the big screen- not only are they on a small portion of the screen, the shot is incomplete, so added context of what is happening is cut off. It's really hard to determine what Twins management/Fox Sports North was thinking in putting together this production.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I definitely wish they would talk about more players than just Buxton. I get that he's the top guy. We all understand. I am enjoying some of the dialogue (when accurate), but I would like the other guys to get recognized as well. They deserve. That team is loaded and they're unfortunately focusing on pretty much one player.

jokin
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
why even put him in a suit? What is the point, other than "people on tv wear suits"? Suits are a stupid waste of money.

I will try, although I'm getting a splitting headache from all the squinting at the split screen.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Suit and Tom Kelly don't go to together... Roy and Anthony wear there's pretty good but Tom just doesn't.

Suit aside... Tom just spent a decent chunk of time talking about throw away at bats... Saying that out of 600... Baseball players will throw away 100 of them by not having descipline or a game plan stepping into the box. By managing how many throw away at bats you have... It can be the difference between hitting .240 and .300.

(Personal Note) Throwaway at bats at the MLB level leads to 52 Runners left on base in the past 5 Games and 1-4 record during those games.

Tom Talked about Byron Buxton moving to Ft. Myers... Explaining that there are many things that go into it... Even saying that Cedar Rapids being a new affiliate for the organization and trying to make the playoffs is a consideration. It's not THEE consideration but something to factor in.

Halsey Hall
06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
A little less salesmanship and more play by play would really be nice. Course, the 10% watching that don't read Twins Daily may be getting informed somewhat. What a lousy way to show a game.

spycake
06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Dan Barreiro was mocking the Twins on KFAN for hyping Buxton like this while the big league club stuggles. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I just wanted to see some Twins affiliated minor league baseball, but it sounds like they are making this a Buxton hype-fest. Which does seem a little weird, definitely jumping the gun, I'd say.

jokin
06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Dan Barreiro was mocking the Twins on KFAN for hyping Buxton like this while the big league club stuggles. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I just wanted to see some Twins affiliated minor league baseball, but it sounds like they are making this a Buxton hype-fest. Which does seem a little weird, definitely jumping the gun, I'd say.

The hype is fully justified, and it certainly isn't just coming from within the Twins organization. Buxton is on the verge of being named the #1 prospect in all of baseball.

That being said, with all the air time to fill, it's surprising they didn't have more individual video pieces on the other legitimate major league prospects on the roster.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
A little less salesmanship and more play by play would really be nice. Course, the 10% watching that don't read Twins Daily may be getting informed somewhat. What a lousy way to show a game.

Honestly Halsey... I have to go back to work in a bit... But... I will be watching the entire replay tonight at 7PM... may even record it while watching it... So I can soak in every word TK is saying and watch the game on a side screen as it happens so I can eyeball Buxton and others.

Shane Wahl
06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I find the complaining (other than that graphic of stars or whatever at the top) to be a bit ridiculous. You get to see Byron Buxton on television and hear a good conversation involving Smalley and Kelly about the minor league system. What do you want? Some play-by-play guys for a low-A team?

Anyway, I am glad that they are playing Kane County since I have FSMW here in Indiana and maybe needed a Cub affiliate to get televised. Not sure.

Shane Wahl
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Hell yeah!

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Buxton... On cue... Just cleared the bases with a deep double to left center... A little justification for the hype right there.

jokin
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I find the complaining (other than that graphic of stars or whatever at the top) to be a bit ridiculous. You get to see Byron Buxton on television and hear a good conversation involving Smalley and Kelly about the minor league system. What do you want? Some play-by-play guys for a low-A team?

Anyway, I am glad that they are playing Kane County since I have FSMW here in Indiana and maybe needed a Cub affiliate to get televised. Not sure.

Of course not. But there is no need for incomplete split screen when folks are trying to evaluate the players and the lack of real-time context from the FSN studios. TK certainly can comment without viewers having to constantly look at the FSN suited trio.

Shane Wahl
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
J.D. advances Buxton and Polanco delivers.

Would people prefer play-by-play to TK nitpicking Buxton's base running?

Shane Wahl
06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Of course not. But there is no need for incomplete split screen when folks are trying to evaluate the players and the lack of real-time context from the FSN studios. TK certainly can comment without viewers having to constantly look at the FSN suited trio.

Ok, well it does seem like they go full screen some of the time. But they weren't going to have a t.v. show without those guys on screen.

JB_Iowa
06-10-2013, 01:37 PM

The problem is that it is REALLY annoying. I, for one, and I think most viewers would like to be able to see what it happening.

They have made the focus of the telecast the talking heads INSTEAD of the game. It is actually a travesty for any of us who really wanted to see these guys play.

It helps when I mute the sound because at least I can concentrate on the picture instead of all the distracting yammering but the Twins should be ashamed of themselves for coming up with this mess.

I appreciate being able to see some of the plays but that is part of the problem, we are only seeing some of the plays.

So, yes, I am going to complain.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Not Me... It's pure Gold...

If they did this every day... I would watch every day. Let's do some Rochester, New Britain and Ft. Myers as well.

Completely love it.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Another deep fly that Buck made look easy. He looks like a young Torii Hunter out there.

KernelsGuy1
06-10-2013, 01:43 PM

If FSN is using KMRY's radio feed, you should want to hear at least a little of that. Great info typically.

jokin
06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Not Me... It's pure Gold...

If they did this every day... I would watch every day. Let's do some Rochester, New Britain and Ft. Myers as well.

Completely love it.

I challenge you to sponsor a poll asking if fans prefer:

1)an incomplete double-bordered split screen/talking head trio/floating starscape

or

2)a full screen view of the game with knowledgeable, but invisible commentary

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Vine of Buxton's nice swing on the bases clearing double.
https://vine.co/v/blzumQVYjA1

stringer bell
06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
How about some love for my adopt-a-prospect Mason Melotakis?

Halsey Hall
06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
They couldn't have picked a better game to showcase Buxton. He's putting on quite a show.

stringer bell
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
They couldn't have picked a better game to showcase Buxton. He's putting on quite a show.I believe he's been outstanding in a lot of games.

SpiritofVodkaDave
The complaining in this thread is hilarious.

CairoCrown
How about some love for my adopt-a-prospect Mason Melotakis?
He certainly seems to fit the "pitch-to-contact" mold.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I challenge you to sponsor a poll asking if fans prefer:

1)an incomplete double-bordered split screen/talking head trio/floating starscape

or

2)a full screen view of the game with knowledeable, but invisible commentary

Jokin... It's what I do for a living... I already know the answer.

A. Broadcasting a single A game will not bring in ratings no matter the format.
B. broadcasting in this format will turn off the average fan as well.
C. It was a doomed experiment to begin with for any operation that needs ratings and advertisers to pay the bills.

I'm just enjoying it because Tom Kelly is passing along information that we don't get very often.

I am in the minority... tiny minority... but I seriously want to learn. This is completely educational and anybody who passes the information up for a slicker broadcast does not see the forest for the trees when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the organization.

And yes you are Right... that constitutes the Majority.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I as well hate it when a regional sports network doesn't do exactly what I want for an 11am broadcast on a monday!

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
That's a good place to go back to work.... Buxton with a triple...

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Unbelievable!

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Kernals need a big inning to get Buck the chance for a cycle.

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Jokin... It's what I do for a living... I already know the answer.

A. Broadcasting a single A game will not bring in ratings no matter the format.
B. broadcasting in this format will turn off the average fan as well.
C. It was a doomed experiment to begin with for any operation that needs ratings and advertisers to pay the bills.

I'm just enjoying it because Tom Kelly is passing along information that we don't get very often.

I am in the minority... tiny minority... but I seriously want to learn. This is completely educational and anybody who passes the information up for a slicker broadcast does not see the forest for the trees when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the organization.

And yes you are Right... that constitutes the Majority.

The problem with your analysis is that you can do both for your fan base- entertained and educated. I get that they don't want to make Cedar Rapids be as "big" a television screen presence as the big league club. But this is a failed experiment and a missed opportunity. I hope the organization learns from this. With the farm system being the story this year, they certainly have opportunities for more showcases up and down the system- they might even want to televise one of Gibson's games....oh no, wait....

boylan
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Is this streamable somewhere for those without FSN?

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I as well hate it when a regional sports network doesn't do exactly what I want for an 11am broadcast on a monday!

I know East Coast time makes it hard for many to tell what is happening, and when, in flyover country, but this game actually started after 12PM. And yeah, no one is entitled to a critique of the Twins' FO machinatons, except apparently, you.

boylan
06-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Or, is this going to be available to view somewhere after the broadcast completes???

Thanks.

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:13 PM
The complaining in this thread is hilarious.

Empathy isn't one of your stronger traits.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Minor league fielding right there.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Did Dalton Hicks get hurt on that swing?

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Minor league fielding right there.

But not in CF...looks major league ready out there anyway.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:25 PM
But not in CF...looks major league ready out there anyway.
Yikes, with Aaron Hicks going on the DL and recall of Arcia, Buxton might be the best option at CF. Is Clete Thomas the everyday CF now?

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Adam Brett Walker II says "Anything you can do, I can do in a similar yet not quite as flashy fashion."

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 02:40 PM
The problem with your analysis is that you can do both for your fan base- entertained and educated. I get that they don't want to make Cedar Rapids be as "big" a television screen presence as the big league club. But this is a failed experiment and a missed opportunity. I hope the organization learns from this. With the farm system being the story this year, they certainly have opportunities for more showcases up and down the system- they might even want to televise one of Gibson's games....oh no, wait....
Jokin... I'm back at work now so I don't know what's happening in the broadcast but I'll be watching the replay at 7PM. If I can get my work done this afternoon. If you have a problem with my analysis... I can't do anything about that. I'll still respect and read your posts. I agree that a full screen might be a better approach but it's such a small issue. This broadcast has been a once in a lifetime opportunity to be educated by Tom Kelly on things we don't hear and see a tiny version(split screen of Buxton) at the same time. The odds of this being a twice in a lifetime opportunity is so minute that it hardly matters. After you factor in the expense of the broadcast and the ratings that it will return. It won't be worth the bang for the buck. The Audience for baseball players that the majority of people don't know is simply not there. They could bring in HD Cameras and Mic the place up professionally with a crew of Buck and McCarver doing the PBP and the ratings are still going to say it's the small base of seam heads on Twins Daily primarily watching. I applaud FSN for thinking outside the box and trying this for my benefit... Not FSN's benefit. Buxton clears the bases with a double and we all think... Wow... That's wonderful... TK says yeah that's great but he should have been busting his ass for a triple instead of coasting into 2nd for a double. Next at-bat... Buxton hits the ball into Right Center... The ball gets cut off and he makes it in for a triple. Absolutely Beautiful... Education for us and you just got to see Buxton being coached at the same time. This is complete gold and you can't let the split screen distract from that. Being overly concerned about the broadcast is like worrying about the height of the midget you are looking at. FSN deserves applause from us ultra fans and we should all write them letters thanking them... not critiquing them. A letter of thanks will do more for another attempt at this than a critique because the ratings are going to say... Oops... I guess that it didn't work and it won't be because of the split screen. They had no shot from the get go so take advantage of this rare moment when it happens.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
It was nice to see Buxton play so well under the pressure of the spotlight today. That's what impressed me the most. I know it's only one game, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy in a Twins uniform in (hopefully) a couple of years.

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Jokin... I'm back at work now so I don't know what's happening in the broadcast but I'll be watching the replay at 7PM. If I can get my work done this afternoon. If you have a problem with my analysis... I can't do anything about that. I'll still respect and read your posts. I agree that a full screen might be a better approach but it's such a small issue. This broadcast has been a once in a lifetime opportunity to be educated by Tom Kelly on things we don't hear and see a tiny version(split screen of Buxton) at the same time. The odds of this being a twice in a lifetime opportunity is so minute that it hardly matters. After you factor in the expense of the broadcast and the ratings that it will return. It won't be worth the bang for the buck. The Audience for baseball players that the majority of people don't know is simply not there. They could bring in HD Cameras and Mic the place up professionally with a crew of Buck and McCarver doing the PBP and the ratings are still going to say it's the small base of seam heads on Twins Daily primarily watching. I applaud FSN for thinking outside the box and trying this for my benefit... Not FSN's benefit. Buxton clears the bases with a double and we all think... Wow... That's wonderful... TK says yeah that's great but he should have been busting his ass for a triple instead of coasting into 2nd for a double. Next at-bat... Buxton hits the ball into Right Center... The ball gets cut off and he makes it in for a triple. Absolutely Beautiful... Education for us and you just got to see Buxton being coached at the same time. This is complete gold and you can't let the split screen distract from that. Being overly concerned about the broadcast is like worrying about the height of the midget you are looking at. FSN deserves applause from us ultra fans and we should all write them letters thanking them... not critiquing them. A letter of thanks will do more for another attempt at this than a critique because the ratings are going to say... Oops... I guess that it didn't work and it won't be because of the split screen. They had no shot from the get go so take advantage of this rare moment when it happens.

I think I'm going to devote part of this evening to breaking down the RB wall of words.:p And no, I wasn't overly concerned about height-challenged Marnie Gelner's interviews ("midget" is politically incorrect). Can't I "thank" the Twins and FSN for the gesture and offer some friendly critiquing, as well ( I did take the time away from work to watch this mess).

As far as "bang for the buck", I gotta think they can draw higher ratings on these types of efforts rather than some obsucre rodeo in Wyoming, crappy poker tournament--- or the 9,395th re-airing of the 50 Greatest Twins.

:D

jokin
06-10-2013, 02:55 PM
It was nice to see Buxton play so well under the pressure of the spotlight today. That's what impressed me the most. I know it's only one game, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy in a Twins uniform in (hopefully) a couple of years.

I am remaining optimistic that he gets the call-up sometime next season- hopefully so that he is in the opening day lineup in 2015. I had a chance to watch Buxton in person in May, he didn't have a game like today, but in person it's easy to see why he is such a special talent- even on his off-days.

nicksaviking
06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Dan Barreiro was mocking the Twins on KFAN for hyping Buxton like this while the big league club stuggles.

Well that's his schtick. He'll create his own his own line of logic to justify a daily rant. He pulled together two unrelated topics, Buxton getting hype and the Twins losing, to make the audience think something sinister is at play.

I can't stand him. He'll rant about things that 99% of the listeners agree with and make it sound like he's fighting a losing battle. Then the listeners think to themselves "Hey, yeah I also don't like bigots/wife beaters/Terrell Owens/Nazis, I totally agree with Dan!" I recall him freaking out about fans giving undeserved standing ovations because it undermined the ovation he gave Willie Mays once. "Geez Dan, I hadn't realized until now that Lew Ford is not as good of a baseball player as Willie Mays, anyone who stood and clapped for his totally unexpected career day that helped his team pull ahead in the bottom of the 8th should be ashamed!"

His bafoonary is a shame because when he sits down to do an interview with someone important he does a really nice job. Unfortunately flying off the hook about some inane detail about everyday life gives him better ratings so that's the avenue he takes.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I think I'm going to devote part of this evening to breaking down the RB wall of words.:p And no, I wasn't overly concerned about height-challenged Marnie Gelner's interviews ("midget" is politically incorrect). Can't I "thank" the Twins and FSN for the gesture and offer some friendly critiquing, as well ( I did take the time away from work to watch this mess).

As far as "bang for the buck", I gotta think they can draw higher ratings on these types of efforts rather than some obsucre rodeo in Wyoming, crappy poker tournament--- or the 9,395th re-airing of the 50 Greatest Twins.

:D

LOL... There is very little expense in the obscure Wyoming Rodeo or the poker tournament. Since that same Rodeo and Poker Tournament is being broadcast on all the FSN's around the country and the FSN management is fully aware of the audience/expense ratio on all broadcasts. Creating your own broadcast from Cedar Rapids Iowa is expensive because all the producers, camera people, in studio analysts, Satellite time or delivery method costs real money. If you don't draw a larger audience than the poker tournament. Do you think you will see it again if it cost's more and brings lower ratings. That's why they are focusing so much on Buxton. He's the name that the mainstream may know. That's why they go to a PBP when he hits. FSN may be planning something from New Britain and Sano... That would be awesome but they are out of the box bucking something and doing it anyway... This is not lost on me... Anyway, I can't argue this with you anymore... It isn't worth the bang for the buck! ;)

spycake
06-10-2013, 03:12 PM
What kind of viewership does FSN normally get when the Twins aren't playing?

I could easily see minor league broadcasts (or even replays) drawing better than fishing shows or whatever. Particularly when the Twins have a couple top-ranked prospects they are hyping. I could see Minnesota bars and restaurants showing a few of these games instead of the usual Sportscenter loop they do during lunch and in the afternoons. Replays, if they wanted to go that route, would work even better than MLB replays because far fewer people would already know the outcome of the game. And I imagine that showing a minor league game when the Twins have an evening off (or a rainout) would attract a bunch of Twins fans tuning in at the normal time for the MLB game, might even keep a few and build an audience for the minors. How many Twins fans are going to stumble upon this replay tonight? How many could have stumbled upon a game last Friday night?

And it doesn't have to be an expensive affair. They don't normally need the studio hosts etc., just show the game, which is already being recorded anyway, right? Maybe get TK or whoever on a conference call to add some audio commentary. They'd have to get broadcast rights with the minor league affiliates if they don't already have such an agreement, but I'm sure the minor league clubs would love it since they're all located outside the FSN range anyway.

For that matter, the Twins should really expand their MiLB.tv presence. Just eyeballing it, but it looks like the Twins are one of only 4 MLB clubs to not have an affiliate below AAA participating in MiLB.tv. With the state of the organization, that should probably be improved.

jokin
06-10-2013, 03:17 PM
LOL... There is very little expense in the obscure Wyoming Rodeo or the poker tournament. Since that same Rodeo and Poker Tournament is being broadcast on all the FSN's around the country and the FSN management is fully aware of the audience/expense ratio on all broadcasts. Creating your own broadcast from Cedar Rapids Iowa is expensive because all the producers, camera people, in studio analysts, Satellite time or delivery method costs real money. If you don't draw a larger audience than the poker tournament. Do you think you will see it again if it cost's more and brings lower ratings. That's why they are focusing so much on Buxton. He's the name that the mainstream may know. That's why they go to a PBP when he hits. FSN may be planning something from New Britain and Sano... That would be awesome but they are out of the box bucking something and doing it anyway... This is not lost on me... Anyway, I can't argue this with you anymore... It isn't worth the bang for the buck! ;)

That's the problem, they don't need to "create their own broadcast", just piggyback on already-existing resources. I gotta think you will more than make up the difference in viewership for the only additonal cost- satellite time. There is little need for the "big production values", people will watch when you have some of the top prospects in the organization- and in all of baseball- with the chance to just do their own showcasing, plus the help of the local announcer to add his own insights--- and also, Dave St Peter as your opening headliner is just not a winning strategy anyways.

spycake
06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Creating your own broadcast from Cedar Rapids Iowa is expensive because all the producers, camera people, in studio analysts, Satellite time or delivery method costs real money.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they already recording video of the game for the team to use? Maybe it's just two cameras, but that's plenty for a minor league game. Your "producer" just has to switch between the two feeds, I guess. Add in the local radio play-by-play and you've got yourself a broadcast, just have to feed it back to FSN. Do it on a delay and it's even easier, you don't need a live satellite link.

Again, I am not suggesting they do this with every game (unless they want to do it for MiLB.tv) but just do it more frequently.

PseudoSABR
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
As an out-of-stater, I was unable to catch the broadcast, from reading the thread it sounds like Buxton had a fantastic game. But I would appreciate any detailed scouting reports/impressions etc. Make me believe the hype.

jokin
06-10-2013, 03:31 PM
As an out-of-stater, I was unable to catch the broadcast, from reading the thread it sounds like Buxton had a fantastic game. But I would appreciate any detailed scouting reports/impressions etc. Make me believe the hype.

Believe the hype!

Hit legitimate screaming gappers to both power alleys, bouncing his shots off the walls. Showed incredible accelration on the triple to RF after a good read between first and second base on how the defense played his hit- probably one of very few players that can make that play in all of baseball. 2 tremendous routes on fly balls at the warning track- making them look almost effortless-- to go along with one unbelievable, fully-horizontally-extended, back to the infield catch in dead center. That one is sure to make it on ESPN tonight in some capacity. He did have a baserunning gaffe, getting picked off in the 1st- that is one area that is truly scary- thinking about how good he will be when he gathers more experience getting proper reads on pitchers' stretch movements and proper lead-off techniques down pat.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 03:34 PM
He had two very good catches and one amazing catch in CF. All three would have gone for extra bases if they had fallen in. He got great jumps on the balls and tracked them well in the air to make the catches look easy. The amazing catch was on a ball hit to the warning track in left center. He dove and caught it backhanded right in front of the fence.

In his first AB, he hit a diamond cutter on a 2-2 count. Unfortunately, he was picked off and thrown out at second. His next AB he grounded out with a man on base. His third AB was a bases clearing double with nobody out. He took a pitch down and in and put a really quick swing on it, lining it to the fence in left center. His fourth AB was a triple to right center. He flicked it the other way. The center fielder cut it off deep in the gap and flipped the ball to the right fielder, but Buxton beat the relay anyway.

He displayed four of his five tools (never had the opportunity to show off his arm) and did it in arguably his biggest professional game to date. And he's not even 20 yet.

Edit: What jokin said.

CairoCrown
06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Just found this on twitter. Full video of the Buxton catch taken from the Kernels broadcast.
Byron Buxton Diving Catch June 10,2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDaiBZz0WM)

mikecgrimes
06-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I watched 5 innings the positives of the broadcast. We got to see the game. We got a great review of the entire minor league system. If they went to full screen on every Buxton at bat I would not complain. If the name of the batter was either displayed in graphic or commentary 75% of the time (Cubs fans deserved a chance to enjoy the game if they pay for a full sports package or happen to live in Minnesota) I would have no complaint. If they never failed to mention to name a batter (again either in commentary or graphics) who got a hit I would have no complaint. If they wanted to simply focus on Buxton and nobody else and they made that clear in advance I would have no problem with it. If I'm a Cubs fan then I didn't get what I was promised period, as a Twins fan it was something different from what was promised. Maybe they were planning on sending more of a major league crew until they had to change plans because of the double header. Maybe they ran into unexpected last minute problems, but overall this was awful by college or minor league broadcasting standards.

I'm fine with not sending a HD camera down but it does happen to be 2013. As someone who is thinking about canceling cable at least until college hockey season starts back up stuff like this needs to be done well to justify the investment I make.

Wolfy
06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Hated it. Turned it off after a couple minutes. Thought we were going to get to see a baseball game. Not sure what the **** that was...

TKGuy
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Incredible!

Just found this on twitter. Full video of the Buxton catch taken from the Kernels broadcast.
Byron Buxton Diving Catch June 10,2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDaiBZz0WM)

silverslugger
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Observations from the game today: I was at the game and sitting front row right behind the Kernels dugout. I used to live in CR but have now lived in Des Moines for the past 5 years. Sure wish this affiliation would've started much sooner. The Kernels do televise some of their home games on a local cable outlet, I've watched bits and pieces of another one against Kane County about three weeks ago. The presentation is brutal compared to what we're used to from the MLB feeds. There were cameras today behind home plate, in center field, and up both baselines.

Players: Buxton is in a league by himself talent-wise, nuff said. I think Polanco could be a heck of a 2b for us in about 3 or 4 years. So, what to do with Rosario? Does Polanco play SS well enough to stick? Melotakis was dealing today, very nice. Was this his best start of the season so far? I always read the boxes for the minor league affiliates on Milb, but haven't see any other Kernels games other than the aforementioned. Dalton Hicks is a REALLY big boy, listed at 6'5 and 250. I'd say Adam Brett Walker is our third most likely position player behind Buck and Polanco to make the show.

Finally, the Kernels built a new park about 10 years ago and it's a very nice upgrade. Not a bad seat in the house. You can really get up close and personal compared to the average seat at a MLB game. Plenty of good/standard ballpark food to be had at the park as well. Tickets at the gate anywhere from $8 to $12 bucks. In short, go if you have a chance. You won't regret it.

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
they don't call them kernels because they're some dumb-ass army guys

silverslugger
06-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Kane County observations.

Rock Shoulders, what a name! He'll have to really impress to live up to that name. The Kane County pitcher looked good toward the beginning, Pierce Johnson. The program said he was a 1st round pick last year and listed him at 6'3". My brother and I were both surprised thinking he was one of the smaller players between the two teams. Melotakis certainly looked larger on the mound. Dan Vogelbach, the #3 batter for Kane County can certainly rake. However, he's listed at 6'0" and 250 and already slotted as the DH. That's certainly not a future in the National League. Finally, Albert Almora was the Kane County centerfielder and another 2012 1st rounder according to the program. He was a nice player with some tools and some pop in his bat but still didn't look anything like the talent Buxton shows. Of course, I'm not prejudiced at all:p

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I gotta think you will more than make up the difference in viewership.

people will watch when you have some of the top prospects in the organization- and in all of baseball- with the chance to just do their own showcasing.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further so for that... i apologize.

The production of the broadcast was lacking and if they want to do it again... They will learn from the mistakes and try to correct them. We are in full agreement.

However... To me its just not the point.

In response to your statements above about viewership. My response is nope.

Its a real simple rule of thumb... If enough people would watch Minor League Baseball on TV it would be on TV. There is a lot of crap on TV because people watch that crap on TV. If they didnt watch it... it wouldn't be on TV.

Dressing up a minor league game for a major league market isn't going to bring enough viewers to make up the difference. Memphis Redbirds baseball and Oscar Tavares is not broadcast in baseball crazy St. Louis. Why not... Ratings!!!

It doesn't matter how crazy you and I are for Byron Buxton. We are not representative of most people. We are both freaks... Almost all of us on Twins Daily are freaks... We can't have the conversations about Twins baseball we want to have with our neighbors because our neighbors don't know who Byron Buxton is.

My point is this... For us Psycho Twins Fans... This broadcast was a gift... Complaining about the wrapping paper is missing the point.

Someone came up with this idea... maybe it was a FSN local programming idea or maybe the Twins organization put some muscle behind it or combination of... but someone came up with this idea and convinced a bunch of guys in suits at Fox Sports to do it. Guys in suits who know that the audience isn't there and they said OK anyway.

It was out of the box thinking.... It was a rare gift and I'd be surprised and tickled to see something like it again.

It was obvious that the purpose of the broadcast was to educate. It was not your typical format.

I'm just thankful and I enjoyed it and I'm watching it again because I know it was very rare.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they already recording video of the game for the team to use? Maybe it's just two cameras, but that's plenty for a minor league game. Your "producer" just has to switch between the two feeds, I guess. Add in the local radio play-by-play and you've got yourself a broadcast, just have to feed it back to FSN. Do it on a delay and it's even easier, you don't need a live satellite link.

Again, I am not suggesting they do this with every game (unless they want to do it for MiLB.tv) but just do it more frequently.

I don't know anything about the Cedar Rapids facilities and broadcast equipment but expense and quality is only part of the equation. Audience and the money made from advertising makes the world go round.

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 07:30 PM
no way adam brett walker is black

SD Buhr
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't think people generally realize how stacked the Kane County roster is. This, from the Kernels Media Notes:

Baseball America’s 2013 Prospect Handbook listed 8 members of the current Kane County roster as a Top 30 prospect in the Cubs organization: OF Albert Almora (#2), RHP Pierce Johnson(#6), IF Dan Vogelbach(#7), IF Jeimer Candelario (#8), RHP Dillon Maples (#18), IF Marco Hernandez (#20), IF Gioskar Amaya (#21), RHP Lendy Castillo (#28). Vogelbach is listed as the Best Power Hitter in the organization. Almora is listed as the Best Defensive Outfielder.

The Kernels worked Maples (#18) for 7 walks in just two innings in Sunday's game and they beat Johnson (#6) Monday.

By the way, note that Shoulders is nowhere on the BA top 30 list for the Cubs and he has 12 HRs and a .851 OPS.

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 07:37 PM
this kid's kinda good

SD Buhr
06-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Regardless of the quality of the broadcast, or lack thereof, if someone knows how I could get a DVD of the broadcast, I'd be very interested in it.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 07:39 PM
this kid's kinda good

He left an impression on me.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I love the comment from Molitor about Buxton...saying he's "very coachable". When he points something out... Buxton says "do you wanna go work on It... Wanna go work on it".

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
some people in 1993 named their kid byron

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
this kid sucks

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
some people in 1993 named their kid byron

Not many Byron's around. Not many Ole's either anymore.

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 07:58 PM
i wish tom kelly a speedy recovery after his stint in the burn unit

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Not many Byron's around. Not many Ole's either anymore.

need more royce's

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
royce clayton, royce malley...

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Royce Rolls

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
adam brent walker is still not black

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
VIDEO: Twins prospect Byron Buxton is awesome - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22385666/video-twins-prospect-bryon-buxton-is-awesome)

it was good but oh yeah without kool aid man -1

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 08:32 PM
still don't know if it's eliza-BETH-ton or eliza-BEETH-ton or PANCAKES

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 08:33 PM
still don't know if it's eliza-BETH-ton or eliza-BEETH-ton or PANCAKES

Whatever it is... It's how I'm gonna pronounce the girls name going forward.

Riverbrian
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Why does Jake Mauer have an accent?

Otwins
06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
When Buxton joins the major league club, does he move Aaron Hicks to left or right?

Hicks has such a good arm I think he should go to right.

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
you know, you know, that's ju st y ouknow SAFE!

Ultima Ratio
06-10-2013, 09:06 PM

To AAA :p

buckninetyone
06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
buxton's exit has dragons flying into the screen