PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Rule 4 Draft Signings

righty8383
06-09-2013, 12:10 AM
It will probably be a few days before the Twins start signing players they just drafted. If you hear about a player signing, please post it here along with any other infomation avaliable. I will update this post regularly.

1-4 Kohl Stewart, RHP, SIGNED AT $4.5 million(slot)
2-43 Ryan Eades, RHP, SIGNED AT $1.29 million(slot)
3-78 Stuart Turner, C, SIGNED AT $550k(153K under slot)
4-110 Stephen Gonsalves, LHP, SIGNED AT $700K(232K over)
5-140 Aaron Slegers, RHP, SIGNED AT $380K(29.5K over)
6-170 Brian Navarreto, C, SIGNED AT $262K(slot)
7-200 Brian Gilbert, RHP, SIGNED AT $120K(76K under slot)
8-230 Dustin DeMuth, 3B, unsigned
9-260 Mitchel Garver, C, SIGNED AT $40K(108K under slot)
10-290 Charles Irby, RHP, SIGNED AT $138K(slot)
11-320 Nelson Molina, MI, SIGNED AT $150K
12-350 Ethan Mildren, RHP, SIGNED AT $100K
13-380 Brandon Peterson, RHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
14-410 Zack Granite, OF, SIGNED(amount unknown
15-440 Derrick penilla, LHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
16-470 Brandon Bixler, LHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
17-500 Tanner Mandonca, RHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
18-530 Ryan Walker, SS, SIGNED(amount unknown)
19-560 Jared Wilson, RHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
20-590 Jason Kanxler, OF, SIGNED(amount unknown)
21-620 Tyler Stirewalt, RHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
22-650 Alex Swim, C, SIGNED(amount unknown)
23-680 Zack Hayden, RHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
24-710 Brandon Eason, LHP, (amount unknown)
25-740 Chad Christianson, OF, SIGNED(amount unknown)
26-770 Ryan Halstead, RHP, unsigned
27-800 Taylor Blatch, RHP, unsigned
28-830 Chris Erwin, LHP, unsigned
29-860 Logan Shore, RHP, unsigned
30-890 Tanner Vavra, 2B, SIGNED at $1K
31-920 AJ Bogucki, RHP, unsigned
32-950 Carlos Avila, SS, SIGNED(amount unknown)
33-980 Steven Sensley, OF, unsigned
34-1010 Ivory Thomas, OF, unsigned
35-1040 Nick Lemoncelli, LHP, unsigned
36-1070 Joseph Greenfield, RHP, unsigned
37-1100 Julian Service, OF, unsigned
38-1130 Javier Salas, RHP, unsigned
39-1160 Seth Wagner, LHP, SIGNED(amount unknown)
40-1190 Kelly Starness, OF, unsigned

righty8383
06-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Ughhh, I accidently put a question mark in the title and now I can't edit that out.

Twins Twerp
06-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Ughhh, I accidently put a question mark in the title and now I can't edit that out.

I am Ron Burgandy?

30whales
06-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Keith Law has here (MLB Draft -- Day two highlights and lowlights: AL - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=979)) that he thinks Stephen Gonsalves will be a tough sign. What do you guys think?

maxisagod
06-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Keith Law has here (MLB Draft -- Day two highlights and lowlights: AL - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=979)) that he thinks Stephen Gonsalves will be a tough sign. What do you guys think?
Twins didn't draft many LHP, in area of weakness in the system. It would be a blow to the draft if they can't sign him.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Twins sign 9th round pick Mitchell Garver for $40K. Signing this senior will save the Twins $108,100 to apply elsewhere in the draft.

Re Gonsalves: The Twins are confident they'll get him signed. Multiple sources have confirmed that. He might take up some of that extra cash, but the Twins have no reason to believe he won't sign.

nicksaviking
06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
The Twins drafted so many college kids early in the draft you have to think they were saving up a good amount of money for Gonsalves and/or Navarretto.

I know it's only been a couple days, but seeing that the Rangers have already signed 12 picks, I'm jealous.

Badsmerf
06-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Can we bold the guys that get signed? Once more and more of these guys sign it is going to be a headache to look at.

righty8383
06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Can we bold the guys that get signed? Once more and more of these guys sign it is going to be a headache to look at.
Done, good call

James
06-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Are you planning on put the amount they signed for next to their names as well? Could make it nice and easy to get an idea of how much they are spending.

BabyJesusBuxton
06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Here is a related link to Baseball America's Draft database. It includes the amount each player is signed for, and the current amount of the pool used vs allotted value. Worth taking a look at as more players are signed. 2013 MLB Draft Signings Central - BaseballAmerica.com (http://ht.ly/lTzgo)

Here is a list of the slot values for the top 10 picks. Each pick after has an allotment not to exceed $100,000.:

TWINS
Round Pick Assigned Value
1 4 $4,544,400
2 43 $1,294,100
3 78 $703,000
4 110 $468,200
5 140 $350,500
6 170 $262,500
7 200 $196,600
8 230 $158,600
9 260 $148,100
10 290 $138,400
Bonus Pool $8,264,400

Jeremy Nygaard
06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Are you planning on put the amount they signed for next to their names as well? Could make it nice and easy to get an idea of how much they are spending.

The R&P page (http://twinsdaily.com/1272-minnesota-twins-roster-payroll-2013.html) will have all the draft information too. You'll just have to scroll down a little ways. This is much easier, though, if you're looking for one-stop shopping.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Nelson Molina and Tanner Mendonca have both reached agreements, pending physicals. They are scheduled to arrive in FM on Thursday. Contracts to be signed Friday or Saturday.

amjgt
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
The Twins could add $413,220 to their bonus pool and incur only monetary penalties ($309,915 in fines).

That would be more than enough to overslot Gonsalvez and/or Logan Shore

amjgt
06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Righty8383 - After the bonus amount in the original post, can you add how much above or below slot it is?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Molina's deal will count "a little" towards the spending cap, which means it is for "a little" over $100k.

righty8383
06-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Righty8383 - After the bonus amount in the original post, can you add how much above or below slot it is?

I will if I have that information. Keep in mind with a lot of these guys, we may never find out exactly how much they got. Of course that may not be an issue with the top 10 picks. Also, I know its been listed, but I can't find the page that lists the slot value for each pick from rounds 1-10.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 07:26 AM
The Twins could add $413,220 to their bonus pool and incur only monetary penalties ($309,915 in fines).

That would be more than enough to overslot Gonsalvez and/or Logan Shore

Twins front office has already said there is no way they are signing shore.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I will if I have that information. Keep in mind with a lot of these guys, we may never find out exactly how much they got. Of course that may not be an issue with the top 10 picks. Also, I know its been listed, but I can't find the page that lists the slot value for each pick from rounds 1-10.

Here: http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013

Scroll down to find the slot values of Twins picks 1-10.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Here: http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013

Scroll down to find the slot values of Twins picks 1-10.

mike wants wins
06-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Really? I wonder what they thought when they picked him.

Smcginnity
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't see how they "can't" sign shore if they keep signing guys under slot, it would seem conceivable to be able to offer Shore the rest

roger
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks Jeremy, your work on the draft and follow up is appreciated.

Twins Twerp
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't see how they "can't" sign shore if they keep signing guys under slot, it would seem conceivable to be able to offer Shore the rest

I highly doubt it. He is looking for over a mil reportedly. My guess is that any savings from top 10 rounds goes to Gonclaves who will definitely need an above slot bonus to sign.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Really? I wonder what they thought when they picked him.

Teams do this all the time.

boylan
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Where in the world did you see this?

As an aside, I'm not convinced that Gonsalvez is even going to get slot.

big dog
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Shore was quoted somewhere, maybe the Pioneer Press, that he was not going to sign now but hoped the Twins would draft him again in a few years. Sounded like he was only going to sign if he was picked in the top few rounds.

boylan
06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Shore was quoted somewhere, maybe the Pioneer Press, that he was not going to sign now but hoped the Twins would draft him again in a few years. Sounded like he was only going to sign if he was picked in the top few rounds.

Ah, thanks. I was surprised the normally tight lipped front office would have said anything particularly at this early stage.

mike wants wins
06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Teams do this all the time.

Intentionally pick guys they don't think they can sign? Why would a team do that, if that is what you are saying? What is the strategy play? Draft picks are a limited resource.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Intentionally pick guys they don't think they can sign? Why would a team do that, if that is what you are saying? What is the strategy play? Draft picks are a limited resource.

No team signs all their picks. Twins most likely will sign 26-28 out of their 40 picks. After Shore wasn't picked in the top rounds of the draft there was no way to sign him. Twins grab a local kid for PR and the kid gets to say he was drafted by the Twins but choose college. Possible good will gesture for 3-years from now. Win-win for both sides.

boylan
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM

He's right. Teams sign about half the players they draft, maybe a little more. When they get to the last half of the draft they are filling organizational needs so they have full teams and occasionally take a flyer on someone they don't expect to sign but occasionally does for one reason or another.

If you are drafted in the 36th round and have better options that getting paid $5,000 and living in someone's spare bedroom for the summer with very little likelihood of even making A+ you might not sign.

B Richard
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Agree with what the other guys said on this, but I'd also add that there is the benefit of not allowing another team to draft him after and throw extra money at him. You get the additional benefit of playing "defense", though that was certainly not the top objective.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 02:13 PM

As an aside, I'm not convinced that Gonsalvez is even going to get slot.

Darren Wolfson tweeted :

This might be a waste of time because its so obvious: a #mntwins official confirms there's a zero percent chance to sign Logan Shore.

nicksaviking
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
No team signs all their picks. Twins most likely will sign 26-28 out of their 40 picks. After Shore wasn't picked in the top rounds of the draft there was no way to sign him. Twins grab a local kid for PR and the kid gets to say he was drafted by the Twins but choose college. Possible good will gesture for 3-years from now. Win-win for both sides.

Plus you never know, an ill-timed dead-hooker-in-the-trunk traffic stop might cause his college to rescind the scholarship which would force him to take the Twins offer.

boylan
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Darren Wolfson tweeted :

This might be a waste of time because its so obvious: a #mntwins official confirms there's a zero percent chance to sign Logan Shore.

That's amusing. So it was a total PR pick. I wondered why he went so late.

mike wants wins
06-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks, appreciate the education. Always good to learn.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Damn Twins need to start signing people! Every time I see a signing update it's never the Twins. I'm ready to see these kids play.

IdahoPilgrim
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Plus you never know, an ill-timed dead-hooker-in-the-trunk traffic stop might cause his college to rescind the scholarship which would force him to take the Twins offer.

Wow! That's a pleasant thought.:)

That sounds like Godfather Part II: I'll give you my answer now, Senator. My offer is nothing. Not even the cost of the gaming license which I would appreciate if you put up yourself.

golfboy1
06-12-2013, 02:56 PM

They are never going to sign all their picks so it's not a big deal. The Diamonbacks drafted Cory Hahn, who is paralyzed. IIRC some team drafted a female pitcher recently.

It's PR...a feel good move & it doesn't prevent them from drafting anyone who they think they have a chance to sign. You can only draft so many good fielding crappy hitting backup catchers in one draft.

markos
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM

I think either Jeremy or Seth pointed out in their podcast that using those late picks on players who probably won't sign can be used as a kind of insurance in case there is an unexpected injury for a top player. Hypothetically, imagine Ryan Eades blows out his arm in the CWS and needs Tommy John surgery. Instead of signing for $1.2M, he agrees to sign for $200K. If the Twins wanted to, they could spend that extra $1M on one of their later picks like Shore.

markos
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Damn Twins need to start signing people! Every time I see a signing update it's never the Twins. I'm ready to see these kids play.

I agree!

golfboy1
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM

He signed with Florida, right? It's going to take more than that.

James
06-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Am I mistaken, or even if a highschool kid goes undrafted, he could then sign as a free agent with a team, right? Picking a guy in the draft means that no other team can sign him for a year and he has to enter the draft when eligible again.

This is all off of the top of my head, so I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate. But picking a HS kid that should be a top talent prevents him from signing with another team and gives your team a chance to redraft him later.

I thought that was how it worked, but I could be a little off base there.

nicksaviking
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I've been biting my tongue because I didn't want to be labled impatient. I guess it doesn't matter much long term but when you see that the A's have signed 25 picks and the Royals 18 it gets a bit frustrating. I wonder if there is any issue with Eades and Slegers as they are still pitching. They are low leverage college guys, perhaps the Twins feel they need to nail those two down underslot first so they know what they have left for the HS kids.

Or it could just be that they are the same slow and conservative club we've grown accustomed to.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I've been biting my tongue because I didn't want to be labled impatient. I guess it doesn't matter much long term but when you see that the A's have signed 25 picks and the Royals 18 it gets a bit frustrating. I wonder if there is any issue with Eades and Slegers as they are still pitching. They are low leverage college guys, perhaps the Twins feel they need to nail those two down underslot first so they know what they have left for the HS kids.

Or it could just be that they are the same slow and conservative club we've grown accustomed to.

Haha, I'm fine being called impatient. While I understand signing this week or next week doesn't matter in the long run I want to see our new toys! It just seems everyone had hand shake agreements but us!

Also, guys that are still playing in the CWS never sign till they are eliminated from the tourney.

nicksaviking
06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Haha, I'm fine being called impatient. While I understand signing this week or next week doesn't matter in the long run I want to see our new toys! It just seems everyone had hand shake agreements but us!

Also, guys that are still playing in the CWS never sign till they are eliminated from the tourney.

Yeah, that's why I assume this could be reason for the delay. I forgot to include DeMuth in that explanation but those were 3 of the top 8 picks, all of whom the Twins may target with underslot deals.

Doesn't explain why Stewart isn't signed though. All indications were that there WAS a handshake deal in place. He's also only thrown 40 innings this year, there should be plenty of innings left on that arm to build experience and stamina though he's likely destined for a yet-to-start rookie league anyway.

Vervehound
06-12-2013, 04:34 PM

the last few years the twins have published a list of 8-10 guys that have signed right after the draft - i'm guessing something will be out by end of week. we've got short season ball starting up next week so rosters are driving a certain amount of it.

if a guy thinks he got missed and winds up bagging groceries at cub, most teams still offer try out camps.

Vervehound
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Am I mistaken, or even if a highschool kid goes undrafted, he could then sign as a free agent with a team, right? Picking a guy in the draft means that no other team can sign him for a year and he has to enter the draft when eligible again.

This is all off of the top of my head, so I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate. But picking a HS kid that should be a top talent prevents him from signing with another team and gives your team a chance to redraft him later.

I thought that was how it worked, but I could be a little off base there.

if a kid goes to a four year college, he'd wouldn't be eligible to be re-drafted until his junior season (or the year he turns 21, whichever is soon). if he goes the jc or indy route, then he'd be eligible again in a year.

James
06-12-2013, 05:20 PM
if a kid goes to a four year college, he'd wouldn't be eligible to be re-drafted until his junior season (or the year he turns 21, whichever is soon). if he goes the jc or indy route, then he'd be eligible again in a year.
I forgot about the JC thing.

But what if a HS kid doesn't get drafted. Can he be signed as an undrafted free agent if he chooses not to go to college? It definitely would not be a traditional approach, but I'm wondering if this is why some teams choose a player that they are not going to sign to prevent a talented player from trying to do this.

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
The Rockies just signed Gray and for 800,000+ underslot . that's a lot of money to use elsewhere.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-12-2013, 09:44 PM
It appears that C.K. Irby's signing is imminent. I expect a bunch of announcements Friday.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
But what if a HS kid doesn't get drafted. Can he be signed as an undrafted free agent if he chooses not to go to college? It definitely would not be a traditional approach, but I'm wondering if this is why some teams choose a player that they are not going to sign to prevent a talented player from trying to do this.

Very non-traditional, but it happened (http://www.dbacksvenom.com/2012-articles/august/diamondbacks-sign-former-ucla-commit-felipe-perez.html) last year. I believe the rule, though, is that they are not eligible to sign until the first day of their college session (don't ask why).

The Twins did this at one point in the 90s (I think) with an outfielder who's name escapes me.

roger
06-12-2013, 10:08 PM
The reason Stewart hasn't signed could be financial planning. Remember Mauer took several weeks before signing. In his case, he had to become a Florida resident first to not pay Minnesota taxes. Like Florida, I don't believe Texas has a state income tax. But there are lots of reasons a player's financial peope will take some time to get his planning in place before accepting the check!

cmb0252
06-12-2013, 10:15 PM
It appears that C.K. Irby's signing is imminent. I expect a bunch of announcements Friday.

Hopefully you are right. I'm ready for some signings so we can start debating who is going where.

gil4
06-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Last year the Twins signed all of their top 10 except #9. They had to make darned sure they took care of that one early this year.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Turner, Navaretto, Peterson and Mildren are all set to sign after undergoing physicals.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Mildren signs for $100k. The largest bonus a non-top-10 pick can get w/o dipping into spending pool.

Smcginnity
06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
This Mildren kid looks/sounds pretty solid. Not a bad get for the 12th round! Here's the writeup on him:

Pitt's Mildren faces big decision about baseball future | TribLIVE (http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/3804078-74/mildren-pitt-draft#axzz2W9RdFoKL)

Vervehound
06-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Very non-traditional, but it happened (http://www.dbacksvenom.com/2012-articles/august/diamondbacks-sign-former-ucla-commit-felipe-perez.html) last year. I believe the rule, though, is that they are not eligible to sign until the first day of their college session (don't ask why).

The Twins did this at one point in the 90s (I think) with an outfielder who's name escapes me.

you're probably thinking of bobby kielty - but that was an undrafted senior sign, I believe.

in short, If a kid doesn't get drafted, he goes to jc or college (indy ball would be the route for the undrafted college kid). the former gives him more flexibility but would be more of a crapshoot from a developmental standpoint (although schools like chipola in florida would beg to differ).

drjim
06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Unsigned FAs still count against the pool if they exceed $100k.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Weird, Kielty may be the guy I was thinking about, but that was an entirely situation. I know when I was reading about the Diamondbacks maneuver, that the Twins were mentioned... but now that I've read more about it... yeah, way different.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Stuart Turner deal officially done. Signed for $550K, well below slot of $703K. Turner has a legitimate shot at being Cedar Rapids starting catcher at some point in the 2nd half of the season (has been a couple of years since a college bat skipped rookie ball in his draft year - maybe Grimes and Bryant).

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Navaretto signs for slot ($262,500). Can't wait!

nicksaviking
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
This Mildren kid looks/sounds pretty solid. Not a bad get for the 12th round! Here's the writeup on him:

Pitt's Mildren faces big decision about baseball future | TribLIVE (http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/3804078-74/mildren-pitt-draft#axzz2W9RdFoKL)

I don't know, the article lost me at: "Mildren's fastball typically sits between 88-91 mph"

Doesn't exactly scream large bonus seeing as he's a college arm.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't know, the article lost me at: "Mildren's fastball typically sits between 88-91 mph"

I'm with you. I think with him its a pitchability thing. He has four good pitches and keeps the ball on the ground. I'm thinking a Baxendale-type that can eat innings, but won't be over-powering. Obviously didn't get the same competition at Pitt (as Bax did at Arkansas).

I don't think his bonus was overly "large" though, that's about par for the course in the 11th and 12th round.

cmb0252
06-14-2013, 01:52 PM

For how big Slegers is he pitches about the same speed. He does have a really good fastball plane, you know, because he is 6'10".

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
The CK Irby deal is official. No word on bonus, yet.

Roaddog
06-14-2013, 02:38 PM
The CK Irby deal is official. No word on bonus, yet.

Any word on Stewart or the Gonslaves kid? Also i was just curious to who they might throw saved bonus money for?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Nothing concrete. I've heard that Stewart will get slot or near-slot. Gonsalves will sign - at least that's what the Twins believe - but will probably get over slot.

Molina will certainly get over slot, though the overage will be minimal.

B Richard
06-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks so much for this Jeremy, I'm following these signings like a madman

ashburyjohn
06-14-2013, 03:21 PM
an ill-timed dead-hooker-in-the-trunk traffic stop

When is ever a *good* time for this?

nicksaviking
06-14-2013, 03:25 PM
For how big Slegers is he pitches about the same speed. He does have a really good fastball plane, you know, because he is 6'10".

I heard Slegers threw in the mid 90's. Not overly impressive considering his stature but still more impressive velocity-wise then most of the other possible starters the Twins picked. After reading some of the scouting reports on the gambles other teams took in rounds 2+ I'm a little disappointed the Twins seemingly went away from last year's stratagy of picking guys with plus velocity. Picking pitchers with "pitchability is what left the cupboards bare for so long.

Hard to complain about the first pick though.

nicksaviking
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
When is ever a *good* time for this?

I would think a Coen Brothers movie. I'd buy a ticket anyway.

Vervehound
06-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I heard Slegers threw in the mid 90's. Not overly impressive considering his stature but still more impressive velocity-wise then most of the other possible starters the Twins picked. After reading some of the scouting reports on the gambles other teams took in rounds 2+ I'm a little disappointed the Twins seemingly went away from last year's stratagy of picking guys with plus velocity. Picking pitchers with "pitchability is what left the cupboards bare for so long.

Hard to complain about the first pick though.

the two best college pitchers so far from last year's draft have been pitchability types. melotakis is going sideways while chargois and bard are on the shelf. the one true success among the hard throwers has been zack jones and that's because they've kept him in the pen.

the noticeable exception is berrios. it makes you wish the twins would dip their toes in the prep pitching market more often but they're clearly pretty averse to that.

oh, and mid-90's heat is always impressive regardless of size. what should slegers be throwing? 110?

cmb0252
06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
the two best college pitchers so far from last year's draft have been pitchability types. melotakis is going sideways while chargois and bard are on the shelf. the one true success among the hard throwers has been zack jones and that's because they've kept him in the pen.

the noticeable exception is berrios. it makes you wish the twins would dip their toes in the prep pitching market more often but they're clearly pretty averse to that.

oh, and mid-90's heat is always impressive regardless of size. what should slegers be throwing? 110?

Slegers isn't throwing mid 90s though.

From BA:

Indiana’s rotation is not overpowering, but it is solid. Slegers (9-1, 2.13) emerged as the Big Ten pitcher of the year but struggled in the super regional against Florida State. At 6-foot-10, his downward angle makes his high-80s fastball play up.

Vervehound
06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Slegers isn't throwing mid 90s though.

From BA:

Indiana’s rotation is not overpowering, but it is solid. Slegers (9-1, 2.13) emerged as the Big Ten pitcher of the year but struggled in the super regional against Florida State. At 6-foot-10, his downward angle makes his high-80s fastball play up.

he's touched it in the past - it seems to be his peak short stint velocity, and with the arm injuries questions abound. that said, there is always a large margin of error for bigger pitchers - the big unit taught me that. most starters show signs at age 24-25 in the big leagues that they're going to make it (hence this being a particularly rough year for liam Hendricks) but Johnson didn't put everything together until later. loek van mil pumped his fastball up 6-8 mph over the course of his time in our minor league system, etc.

from ba's scouting report: Slegers is athletic and repeats his sound delivery well for his size. Early in the season he reached 95 mph with his fastball and displayed an average slider

Vervehound
06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
twins are $261k under slot with their first few signings - that's a great sign. if we can go shopping for some of our tough signs, I think aj bogucki in the 31st round out of Pennsylvania stands out, though i'm guessing he'd be a very tough sign away from his Carolina scholarship. steven sensley, our 33rd rounder seems to have a solid skill set and could be an easier sign as he's a jc recruit. glad we'll know by mid-july.

cmb0252
4 picks in and the Twins are $260k under slot. I don't see how any of their other college guys get anything but slot, if not under slot. Should be interesting how much Stewart/Gonsalves gets because I doubt they are willing to pay taxes for going over.

Smcginnity
I like a mixture of control pitchers and hard throwers. Control pitchers make it to the majors more often it seems but hard throwers are more risky but have more upside opportunity. I say do the mixture and keep it up.

Roaddog
06-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I like a mixture of control pitchers and hard throwers. Control pitchers make it to the majors more often it seems but hard throwers are more risky but have more upside opportunity. I say do the mixture and keep it up.

Whats the story on that Blatch kid? I'm guessing by what i read he's a tough sign.

cmb0252
06-14-2013, 09:21 PM
As noted before but will note again from Darren Wolfson:

Club vice president Mike Radcliff said he expects the Twins will sign 27 or 28 of their 40 picks from this year's amateur draft. He doesn't expect the club will sign 29th-round pick Logan Shore, a high school right-hander who is committed to the University of Florida. Shore was ranked as the 202nd-best prospect in the draft (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/) by Baseball America, who speculated that Shore could've gone as high as the third round had he found a particularly interested suitor.

A Twins source tells Wolfson that "they fully expect" to sign fourth round pick Stephen Gonsalves. The high school southpaw has committed to the University of San Diego and was ranked by MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=draft) as the 98th-best member of this year's draft class.

nicksaviking
06-14-2013, 09:30 PM

I didn't mean to imply his (possible?) above average velocity wasn't a welcome addition. All I meant was seeing as the Twins didn't seem to go velocity hunting in this draft, it shouldn't be surprising that the 6'10" guy was among the harder throwers.

ashburyjohn
06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
As long as Righty seems to be adopting suggested changes, I think it may be interesting later on to see in this listing the date on which each player eventually signed.

kab21
06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I didn't mean to imply his (possible?) above average velocity wasn't a welcome addition. All I meant was seeing as the Twins didn't seem to go velocity hunting in this draft, it shouldn't be surprising that the 6'10" guy was among the harder throwers.

Last year everyone complained that the Twins took a bunch of RP'ers. That's how they got the velocity. This year people are complaining that they took starters. Every pitcher is going to have flaws especially once you get past the first rd in a weak draft. Eades (2nd) and Gonsalves (4th) are decent picks so I'm not sure why criticism is warranted.

TD Mac
06-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Saw in the Trib's atricle on Tanner Vavra that he signed for $1000.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-15-2013, 10:49 PM
What I've just been told is that "nearly everyone is done" and that the Twins will probably announce them all at once. Obviously, the CWS guys are not included.

Stewart and Gonsalves will both sign. And the Stewart deal will be done "soon". How soon, I don't know, but it sounds as though terms are agreed upon for both.

nicksaviking
06-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Last year everyone complained that the Twins took a bunch of RP'ers. That's how they got the velocity. This year people are complaining that they took starters. Every pitcher is going to have flaws especially once you get past the first rd in a weak draft. Eades (2nd) and Gonsalves (4th) are decent picks so I'm not sure why criticism is warranted.

I didn't complain about last year's stratagy, I thought it was a cleaver approach.

nicksaviking
06-15-2013, 11:48 PM
What I've just been told is that "nearly everyone is done" and that the Twins will probably announce them all at once. Obviously, the CWS guys are not included.

Stewart and Gonsalves will both sign. And the Stewart deal will be done "soon". How soon, I don't know, but it sounds as though terms are agreed upon for both.

Good. Let's get these guys in uniform. Looks like Appel, Gray and Frazier have all signed for underslot.

Red Bull
06-16-2013, 01:19 AM
I find it funny how the year the Twins have the 4th pick and there was 3 players that stood apart from the rest they all 3 went in the top 3. I mean how often do the consensus top 3 actualy all get taken in the top 3? Especialy the way the draft is structured now, I thought for sure one of the top 3 would fall.

CK
06-16-2013, 03:45 AM
I find it funny how the year the Twins have the 4th pick and there was 3 players that stood apart from the rest they all 3 went in the top 3. I mean how often do the consensus top 3 actualy all get taken in the top 3? Especialy the way the draft is structured now, I thought for sure one of the top 3 would fall.

I thought one would fall too until the day of the draft, when the experts put out their mocks that represented what they were hearing. A tad disappointed. But, hey, being a Wolves fan prepared me for this.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-16-2013, 05:34 AM
I can't say with 100% certainty, but the "media consensus" of the Top 3 was not shared by the Twins. From what I've heard - both before and after the selection was made - the only guy whose name appeared above Stewart's was Appel.

mudcat14
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I can't say with 100% certainty, but the "media consensus" of the Top 3 was not shared by the Twins. From what I've heard - both before and after the selection was made - the only guy whose name appeared above Stewart's was Appel.

That's nice to hear. Or it could be really bad, showing how out of touch our scouting staff is. For now, I will choose to believe that they are ahead of the curve.

cmathewson
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Law has been ridiculously against that pick from day 1. The way he carries on, the kid slept with Law's daughter and left her in a grocery cart on his doorstep.

diehardtwinsfan
06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Law has never liked the Twins. That said, when he does find time to praise them, you know it's warranted.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Gonsalves is done. I don't know the exact number, but I'm guessing its in the $650k to $750k range.

ashburyjohn
06-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I didn't complain about last year's stratagy, I thought it was a cleaver approach.

I hope this doesn't result in too many cuts.

ashburyjohn
06-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Law has been ridiculously against that pick from day 1. The way he carries on, the kid slept with Law's daughter and left her in a grocery cart on his doorstep.

Approves:

TD Mac
06-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Keith Law = Dean Wormer?!? :)

TD Mac
06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
According to LaVelle, a host of signings announcements are to be announced soon

link: Twins Insider | Blog Covering the Minnesota Twins and MLB | Star Tribune | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/Twins_Insider.html)

ashburyjohn
06-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Keith Law = Mayor Carmine DePasto :)

ftfy

Monkeypaws
06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I expect to see a lot of signings announced this week.

Red Bull
06-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Yea I heard you or someone say that on one of your podcasts but I was just saying its funny how the consensus(Everyone but twins) top 3 all went in the top 3 because that doesnt happen often. Especialy with the way the MLB draft is set up now with the spending pools.

I feel like lately MN sports teams have been royaly screwed in drafts. Twins this year lost out on the top 3 by 1 pick, Wolves had the worst record but CLE won the lottery and the wolves missed out on Irving by 1 pick, Vikings lost out on RG3 by 1 pick and he would make us SB contenders right now..... I mean we have lost out on some of the best players in the league by 1 pick. But the Twins did get Buxton last year and somehow ended up with Sano because of all that controversy about his age, so I guess now were being repaid with 2 of the best prospects in baseball.

TD Mac
06-16-2013, 07:39 PM
ftfy
Shame on me, you are correct sir!

30whales
06-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Yea I heard you or someone say that on one of your podcasts but I was just saying its funny how the consensus(Everyone but twins) top 3 all went in the top 3 because that doesnt happen often. Especialy with the way the MLB draft is set up now with the spending pools.

I feel like lately MN sports teams have been royaly screwed in drafts. Twins this year lost out on the top 3 by 1 pick, Wolves had the worst record but CLE won the lottery and the wolves missed out on Irving by 1 pick, Vikings lost out on RG3 by 1 pick and he would make us SB contenders right now..... I mean we have lost out on some of the best players in the league by 1 pick. But the Twins did get Buxton last year and somehow ended up with Sano because of all that controversy about his age, so I guess now were being repaid with 2 of the best prospects in baseball.

No way the Vikings would have taken RG3.

InfraRen
06-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Excited to get these guys going! Looking forward to the official signing announcements. Also, very happy that Gonsalves has been signed - years down the road, he COULD be the diamond in the rough from this draft.

Badsmerf
06-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Gonsalves and Navaretto signed! Those are the two I was mostly worried about. Now they just need to get Stewart to sign and send him to CR!

ScottyB
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
According to LEN III Siegers has also signed.

kab21
06-17-2013, 09:30 AM
I know that Stewart will sign but I would like it to be official. Tbh that's all that I care about right now in this draft. Eades, Gonsalves and Naveretto could be that diamond in the rough that the Twins have done well snagging in the later rds but this draft is all about Stewart.

golfboy1
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
According to LEN III Siegers has also signed.

Indiana is still playing so I think LEN III jumped the gun on this one but I imagine they will sign Eades, Demuth & Sleger after the college WS.

howieramone
06-17-2013, 11:48 AM
In good position to sign their top 14.

beckmt
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Hope Twins will save enough money on signings to sign Logan Shore(I know this probably will not happen) Just wishing they could find a few extra hundred thousand to take a run at him.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
In good position to sign their top 14.

I would agree with that.

I'd be hesitant to say most of these guys have already "signed". The first thing they get out of the way is the bonus. Once they agree on that, they fly to Fort Myers and get their physicals done. The dotted line comes last. I'm not sure if Gonsalves has made it to FM for his physical yet.

I would be shocked if the Twins area scouts have talked money with any of the guys in the CWS. I know when Vanderbilt made it when they had Corey Williams, the Twins called him to let him know they were taking him, wished him luck and told him to take care of business and they'd be in touch with him after his season was over.

The Twins may have worked out the details with Slegers advisor, but even that would seem ill-timed. I have no doubt though, that his will get done.

cmb0252
06-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Stewart tweeted he flew to Minnesota today and sat behind AP.

nicksaviking
06-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Can AP play CF? He's pretty quick.

adjacent
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't know about that, but if he is on third, I'll send him home every time. Tag that guy, catcher...

Red Bull
06-17-2013, 05:27 PM
No way the Vikings would have taken RG3.

Yea they would of. They know Ponders cieling is super low and if they would of had a shot at RG3 they would of taken him for sure.

markos
06-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Stewart tweeted he flew to Minnesota today and sat behind AP.

Let's hope he doesn't convince Stewart to play football by the end of the flight.

InfraRen
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)39s (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347030923998543873)
#Twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins&src=hash) sign 7th-rder Brian Gilbert for $120k. Seton Hall RHP, bullpen guy, 92-95 mph fastball, improving slider. #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash)

Expand (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347030923998543873)

InfraRen
06-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS (https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS)56s (https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/347032052232773632)
#twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23twins&src=hash) close to deal w/ top prep player in draft, rhp Kohl Stewart, as @LaVelleNeal (https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal) reported. texas a&m football recruit

Seth Stohs
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Based on following Kohl Stewart on Twitter, it's no surprise something is close based on him flying to Minneapolis. Also, his comments from draft night made it pretty clear it wouldn't take too long.

IdahoPilgrim
06-18-2013, 11:56 AM

After that performance last year, I have no doubt AP can do pretty darn much anything he decides he wants to do.

InfraRen
06-18-2013, 11:56 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2580093243/80fbc677-61b4-4f89-9040-83b28a7d923e_normal.pngJim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)11s (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347034838018187264)
#Twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins&src=hash) sign 10th-rder C.K. Irby for $138,400. Could be steal. Samford RHP was SP/1B/3B this yr, better as RP w/FB to 95 & + curve. #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash)

cmb0252
06-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)39s (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347030923998543873)
#Twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins&src=hash) sign 7th-rder Brian Gilbert for $120k. Seton Hall RHP, bullpen guy, 92-95 mph fastball, improving slider. #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash)

Expand (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347030923998543873)

76k under slot.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
76k under slot.

The Twins are now $337,700 under budget. Gonsalves will be over slot. Molina will be over slot. Stewart will be near slot.

(No there isn't enough money to sign Shore.)

amjgt
06-18-2013, 12:55 PM
The Twins are now $337,700 under budget. Gonsalves will be over slot. Molina will be over slot. Stewart will be near slot.

Remember, the Twins can go about 400k over budget and not have any draft repercussions, only a 75% fine.

So, that gets us to about $750k in "bonus" slot money

nicksaviking
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Remember, the Twins can go about 400k over budget and not have any draft repercussions, only a 75% fine.

And Molina was pick 11 so if they decided not to sign him they wouldn't lose any of the draft pool.

Though I don't have the emotional ties to Shore some folks do, he looks good on paper but a lot of prep arms do.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Correct on not signing Molina; but he was in town for his physical and to sign last weekend, so it's a done deal... he's not going to cost much over $100k.

I also think the Twins would much rather have a prospect that they believe can hit and has a legitimate chance to stay at shortstop. Shore's bonus would be 10-15 times as much as Molina's. (Plus, you're better if you have a "Molina" in your system. Proven fact... or something like that.)

cmb0252
06-18-2013, 02:02 PM

I would be surprised if the Twins were willing to pay any taxes. I'm guessing they will come in right under the slot allotment again this year.

cmb0252
06-18-2013, 03:05 PM

There have been a ton of 10-40 round guys who have signed over slot this year so far. Hopefully Molina is just the start for over slot late round guys for the Twins. Obviously Shore is impossible to sign, as many have pointed out before, but there are other hard signings I would like to see the Twins pay.

TwinsFanInPhilly
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
There have been a ton of 10-40 round guys who have signed over slot this year so far. Hopefully Molina is just the start for over slot late round guys for the Twins. Obviously Shore is impossible to sign, as many have pointed out before, but there are other hard signings I would like to see the Twins pay.

Which of the late round guys are hard signs that you'd like?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
AJ Bogucki, a Pennsylvania prep who is committed to UNC and Chris Erwin, lefty Georgia prep committed to Kennesaw State.

Bogucki would probably command a little more hefty of a price tag, but has a nice build already and is full of projection. Obviously he's going to get more opportunity to play at UNC and probably against better competition (at least early), but in three years he could be a Top 5 or 6 round guy. (He could also be brutal... lottery ticket-type guy.)

Erwin might sign. Smallish lefty who gets two-way comps to Nick Markakis out of high school. He could eventually be a mid-rotation starter with three really good pitches. He's young and under-developed, though, so college could do wonders for him too. (Another lottery ticket-type.)

Those would be my two anyway (even ahead of Shore), who I think will develop into a first-round pick after some seasoning at Florida. I just know they won't be able to free up the money he would command.

nicksaviking
06-18-2013, 03:53 PM
I also think the Twins would much rather have a prospect that they believe can hit and has a legitimate chance to stay at shortstop. Shore's bonus would be 10-15 times as much as Molina's. (Plus, you're better if you have a "Molina" in your system. Proven fact... or something like that.)

Can he play catcher? I think the Molina Prophacy only applies to catchers. The Twins did seem to target them in this draft though. Maybe they were confused.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Can he play catcher? I think the Molina Prophacy only applies to catchers. The Twins did seem to target them in this draft though. Maybe they were confused.

If his last name is Molina, I'm sure he can play catcher. Maybe he can take all of those "Molina skills" and apply them at shortstop.

cmb0252
06-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Which of the late round guys are hard signs that you'd like?

Twins only took 10 prep players. Here are a few of the late round guys.

A.J. Bogucki, 6'3" HS RHP who is committed to North Carolina. Tough signing but could be had. Pitchers body. Currently sits in the high 80s but fastball has hit 93 several times. Like Shore, 99% chance he won't sign.

Steven Stensley, 6'1" HS OF, who is committed to LSU-Eunice. Performed poorly his senior year of college but could develop average+ hit/power tools. Future corner outfielder.

Taylor Batch, 5'11" HS RHP, who is committed to Florida State. Even though he is undersized he has a solid fast ball with a change up and slider that flash plus at times. Lots of control issues.

Chris Erwin, 6'0" HS LHP, Kennesaw State recruit. Has a High 80s fastball.

cmb0252
06-18-2013, 04:06 PM
AJ Bogucki, a Pennsylvania prep who is committed to UNC and Chris Erwin, lefty Georgia prep committed to Kennesaw State.

Bogucki would probably command a little more hefty of a price tag, but has a nice build already and is full of projection. Obviously he's going to get more opportunity to play at UNC and probably against better competition (at least early), but in three years he could be a Top 5 or 6 round guy. (He could also be brutal... lottery ticket-type guy.)

Erwin might sign. Smallish lefty who gets two-way comps to Nick Markakis out of high school. He could eventually be a mid-rotation starter with three really good pitches. He's young and under-developed, though, so college could do wonders for him too. (Another lottery ticket-type.)

Those would be my two anyway (even ahead of Shore), who I think will develop into a first-round pick after some seasoning at Florida. I just know they won't be able to free up the money he would command.

Beat me to it! Bogucki would be a great signing but UNC kids normally go to school.

kab21
06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
I really wouldn't expect the Twins to pay any of the tax unless Shore's agent approached them with a proposal (like 600-700K) which at this point would way below his reported demands. I am hoping that they can grab 1-2 guys in the 100-200K range.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Bogucki just tweeted that he is moving in tomorrow, doesn't seem too interested in signing.

ScottyB
06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Nelson Molina and Tanner Mendonca have both reached agreements, pending physicals. They are scheduled to arrive in FM on Thursday. Contracts to be signed Friday or Saturday.

Is Nelson related to Bengie, Yadi and Jose?

InfraRen
06-19-2013, 02:36 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2580093243/80fbc677-61b4-4f89-9040-83b28a7d923e_normal.pngJim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)3m (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347436577758273536)
#Twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins&src=hash) sign 1st-rder Kohl Stewart for $4,544,400. Texas HS RHP, four plus pitches & Verlander comps at times, Texas A&M QB recruit #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash)

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Dustin Morse tweeted that the Twins have signed 21 of their first 25 picks. That leaves Eades, Slegers and DeMuth (all from the top 10 rounds) and 16th rounder LP Brandon Bixler.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Is Nelson related to Bengie, Yadi and Jose?

Checked in. No relation. But is the power of the "Molina" in the DNA or simply in the name?

cmb0252
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Dustin Morse tweeted that the Twins have signed 21 of their first 25 picks. That leaves Eades, Slegers and DeMuth (all from the top 10 rounds) and 16th rounder LP Brandon Bixler.

With Indiana still being in the tourney Slegers, DeMuth, and Halstead can't sign. Now that LSU is out I'm sure Eades will sign quick. Not sure what the snag is on Bixler.

With Stewart signing at slot I'm interested where all the under slot money is going. Gonsalves and Molina couldn't have eaten up the whole ~340k, could they? I'm not expecting any of the college guys above to get anything but slot.

Vervehound
06-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I would be surprised if the Twins were willing to pay any taxes. I'm guessing they will come in right under the slot allotment again this year.

i think benjamin franklin said it best when he said "there are only two certainties in life: death and the twins avoidance of taxes".

same guy that said "beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" so he may be the wisest person who ever lived.

Vervehound
06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
I really wouldn't expect the Twins to pay any of the tax unless Shore's agent approached them with a proposal (like 600-700K) which at this point would way below his reported demands. I am hoping that they can grab 1-2 guys in the 100-200K range.

i like signing local kids but i don't think shore is worth anything north of $600-700k. let the kids go to college and increase the pool at that level - that'll be best for the game.

IdahoPilgrim
06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
i think benjamin franklin said it best when he said "there are only two certainties in life: death and the twins avoidance of taxes".

same guy that said "beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" so he may be the wisest person who ever lived.

To be fair, doesn't everybody try to avoid taxes?

Love the second part.:)

Vervehound
06-19-2013, 04:26 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2580093243/80fbc677-61b4-4f89-9040-83b28a7d923e_normal.pngJim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)3m (https://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/status/347436577758273536)
#Twins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins&src=hash) sign 1st-rder Kohl Stewart for $4,544,400. Texas HS RHP, four plus pitches & Verlander comps at times, Texas A&M QB recruit #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash)

serioulsy, read that line again: four plus pitches? i don't know if i've ever seen that in print before.

Vervehound
06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
To be fair, doesn't everybody try to avoid taxes?

Love the second part.:)

i'd say there are more than a few free spending clubs that scoff at the idea of being taxed.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
I could see Gonsalves taking up a lot of that. I exchanged texts on Saturday night with someone who had knowledge of both figures. I guessed $4.25m on Stewart and $800k on Gonsalves. He said I was closer on Gonsalves. Obviously that doesn't say much (gives us a $500k to $1.1m range), but he obviously got over slot ($468k).

I'm not expecting Molina to take up much... how much is a "little over slot". But I could see Gonsalves' bonus somewhere in that $700k range. (I could also be way off.)

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
On an aside, I'm pretty excited to see the Twins pairing Stewart and Gonsalves up. Going to the GCL together, rooming together, etc. They'll (hopefully) stay on the same path until Stewart just gets too good. Right?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
TR just said Gonsalves signed for "in the vicinity of slot". If that's the case, what a steal.

At this time last year, the Twins had a late 1st round grade on him. He has the potential to develop into a top-of-the-rotation starter. Wow.

Can't wait to hear the actual bonus.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Callis tweeted that Gonsalves signed for $700k. Good deal for the Twins.

cmb0252
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Gonsalves/Stewart is a nice pair. I do wish they would have grabbed one more HS LHP some point in the draft. Maybe they can use the little extra cash they have left on Erwin.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Per sources, Molina got $150,000. 11th rounder.

Twins now have $55,900 to play around with (and three of the top 10 unsigned).

diehardtwinsfan
06-19-2013, 08:20 PM
serioulsy, read that line again: four plus pitches? i don't know if i've ever seen that in print before.

I've heard people complaining about this pick in other threads here. I don't get it. He might take a bit longer to the show than Gray or Appel, but he's one heck of a consolation prize. 4 plus pitches means he's a starter, baring injury of course.

cmb0252
06-19-2013, 09:53 PM
I've heard people complaining about this pick in other threads here. I don't get it. He might take a bit longer to the show than Gray or Appel, but he's one heck of a consolation prize. 4 plus pitches means he's a starter, baring injury of course.

I think most people are just upset the Twins didn't draft a college pitcher. Maybe if they would have lost a few more games they could have had a chance.

Stewart is a beast. He is super athletic kid with a perfect pitchers body. Already has two plus pitches in his fastball and slider. Has two average pitches in his change up and curve ball which could be future above average/plus pitches. A) how many pitchers have a chance to have 4 above average pitches? B) how many are only 18? Answer: not many.

cmb0252
06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
From Aaron Fitt of BA on Slegers performance today:

"Slegers broke out his changeup effectively in the late innings after pounding the zone with his 89-90 fastball and good 81-83 slider for most of the game. He seemed to get stronger as the game went on, touching 92-93 in the eighth inning. He struck out just one batter through 7 1/3 innings, then recorded four of his final five outs with strikeouts."

jokin
06-20-2013, 12:44 AM
From Aaron Fitt of BA on Slegers performance today:

"Slegers broke out his changeup effectively in the late innings after pounding the zone with his 89-90 fastball and good 81-83 slider for most of the game. He seemed to get stronger as the game went on, touching 92-93 in the eighth inning. He struck out just one batter through 7 1/3 innings, then recorded four of his final five outs with strikeouts."

He looked a lot better than he did at the Big Ten championships. Very encouraging about his strong finish. Can we hire the Big Unit as a special consultant?

jokin
06-20-2013, 12:48 AM
I think most people are just upset the Twins didn't draft a college pitcher. Maybe if they would have lost a few more games they could have had a chance.

Stewart is a beast. He is super athletic kid with a perfect pitchers body. Already has two plus pitches in his fastball and slider. Has two average pitches in his change up and curve ball which could be future above average/plus pitches. A) how many pitchers have a chance to have 4 above average pitches? B) how many are only 18? Answer: not many.

And you didn't mention a very significant factor. Virtually unlimited ceiling. Pitching was this kid's second priority in high school to football. No arm over-use issues and he appears ready to hit the ground running without any pitching mechanics issues.

AM.
06-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Per sources, Molina got $150,000. 11th rounder.

Twins now have $55,900 to play around with (and three of the top 10 unsigned).

If Tanner Vavra got $1K, wouldn't they still have $154K to spread around?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-20-2013, 07:57 AM
If Tanner Vavra got $1K, wouldn't they still have $154K to spread around?

Nope. Picks after round 10 are capped at $100k and aren't a part of the bonus pool. Unless they exceed $100k, then the excess counts against the pool.

Monkeypaws
06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
If they can round out the top 10 with Eades, Sleger, and Demuth, this will be a very nice draft.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
If they can round out the top 10 with Eades, Sleger, and Demuth, this will be a very nice draft.

The only other unsigned guy in the Top 25 rounds - Brandon Bixler - is in Elizabethton, so after they get those three done, they'll have signed their first 25 picks. That's an accomplishment by itself.

InfraRen
06-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I love the connection between Stewart and Gonsalves, with Stephen saying he knows Stewart will have a "target on his back, and I'll be the one chasing him down." It's good to have friendly competition and someone each of them can confide in as they develop.

Vervehound
06-20-2013, 10:04 AM

what people need to realize, imo, is that elite high school talent is on a similar time frame to their college counterparts. case in point is dylan bundy beating gerrit cole and danny hultzen to the big leagues. waiting an extra few months for prepster to make his m.l. deubt at age 20 isn't a drastic shift.

Vervehound
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
The only other unsigned guy in the Top 25 rounds - Brandon Bixler - is in Elizabethton, so after they get those three done, they'll have signed their first 25 picks. That's an accomplishment by itself.

the overhaul of the draft has really helped prospects get a meaningful season in the year they're drafted. the combincation of the enforcement for being over slot and moving the date up to 7/15 has been a boon for the game - we're not alone in signing everyone up quickly. this is how it should be.

rickyriolo
06-20-2013, 11:30 AM
yes, the Union Tribune of San Diego also reported today in their sports section that Gonsalves signed for $700,000. Good kid, has 1st round potential

drjim
06-20-2013, 04:49 PM
the overhaul of the draft has really helped prospects get a meaningful season in the year they're drafted. the combincation of the enforcement for being over slot and moving the date up to 7/15 has been a boon for the game - we're not alone in signing everyone up quickly. this is how it should be.

I agree. I was a little skeptical at first and thought it might be harmful in bringing in talent but it does work.

The cost is that amateur players make a little less money and a few more prep players go to college or perhaps another sport.

zenser
06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Any word if there are or have been productive talks with Eades, Slegers, and DeMuth?

Monkeypaws
06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Any word if there are or have been productive talks with Eades, Slegers, and DeMuth?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Monkeypaws
06-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I found this article in USA today about the trio of Hoosiers the Twins drafted:

Minnesota Twins turn triple play with Indiana teammates (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2013/06/12/indiana-ryan-halstead-aaron-slegers-dustin-demuth-mlb-draft-minnesota-twins/2416987/)

They make it sound pretty iffy that Slegers, technically being a sophomore, would sign unless he gets a significant bonus.

In fact , they all three sound pretty happy staying at IU from the quotes in the article.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
It sounds like Eades is on his way to the Cities.

The Twins weren't concerned about Slegers signability when they drafted him, haven't heard anything to change that.

IdahoPilgrim
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
As I recall, they have until July 12th to sign, don't they?

If I was a drafted player, knowing that this was the only time I had to "cash in" until I reached MLB arbitration, I'd want to get as much bonus as I could realistically get. Waiting until near the end of the signing period could cause it to raise up a little bit, particularly if they've saved money elsewhere.

cmathewson
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
It sounds like Eades is on his way to the Cities.

The Twins weren't concerned about Slegers signability when they drafted him, haven't heard anything to change that.

Yep. I'm sure they're not in a huge hurry to get the guys who were just playing in Omaha last week onto teams. Those guys could use a break. In Eades and Slegers cases, I wonder how many innings they'll be allowed to pitch this year anyway. After that, it's a pecking order. Get Eades done this week. Slegers and Demuth done next week. And go from there.

AM.
06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Nope. Picks after round 10 are capped at $100k and aren't a part of the bonus pool. Unless they exceed $100k, then the excess counts against the pool.

Ok, good to know. I was just going on memory of a team signing a bunch of college seniors for $10K in order to build up pool money last year, so that is only possible in the first 10 rounds? Sets up a weird incentive to have cheap picks early, and expensive picks in round 11+.

IdahoPilgrim
06-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok, good to know. I was just going on memory of a team signing a bunch of college seniors for $10K in order to build up pool money last year, so that is only possible in the first 10 rounds? Sets up a weird incentive to have cheap picks early, and expensive picks in round 11+.

Yeah, it can. And yes, signing somebody cheaply to save bonus money for other picks only applies to the first 10 rounds.

Kansas City did that this year - their first pick (8th overall) was Hunter Dozier, who was projected to go somewhere in the 2nd round. He signed for significantly under slot, and they are using that money to sign other picks who might have chosen otherwise not to sign. He was assigned to a rookie league team near where I live, so they had a story talking about why he was picked when he was.

CairoCrown
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
He was assigned to a rookie league team near where I live, so they had a story talking about why he was picked when he was.
Gotta love minor league team names. Today I learned what a Chukar is.

IdahoPilgrim
06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Gotta love minor league team names. Today I learned what a Chukar is.

Yeah, not sure if I would have chosen as mascot something that is hunted and shot, but to each their own. It's better than their original nickname - the Russets.

nicksaviking
06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
As I recall, they have until July 12th to sign, don't they?

If I was a drafted player, knowing that this was the only time I had to "cash in" until I reached MLB arbitration, I'd want to get as much bonus as I could realistically get. Waiting until near the end of the signing period could cause it to raise up a little bit, particularly if they've saved money elsewhere.

Of course if a team has spent most of it's money, there is little negotiation available. I'm not sure what the remainder of the Twins alotment is but hypothetically, if they had already spent most of it (insert 'Twins are Cheap' joke here) then the three late signing collegiate guys, and future teammates, would be fighting for the remaining pool and one or two would be forced to take less than deserved if one was to demand more. Of course the awkwardness would be compounded in this case seeing as two of the three are current teammates.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
They currently have "saved" $55,900. None of the three are going to get all of that chuck. Eades will be the first domino to fall. My opinion, Slegers was drafted higher than he deserved to be, in part, to be able to pay him a little bit more. All three should come in around slot... and that frees the Twins up to offer $150,000 to some prepster who isn't likely to sign.

Monkeypaws
06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
They currently have "saved" $55,900. None of the three are going to get all of that chuck. Eades will be the first domino to fall. My opinion, Slegers was drafted higher than he deserved to be, in part, to be able to pay him a little bit more. All three should come in around slot... and that frees the Twins up to offer $150,000 to some prepster who isn't likely to sign.

I hope you are right - you sure know more about it than me.

cmb0252
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Why would slegers get more?

TwinsFanInPhilly
06-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Why would slegers get more?

I think he means more than he would have gotten had he been drafted where he belonged, but still less than the slot of where he was actually drafted. (Not sure if I explained that well)

cmb0252
06-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I think he means more than he would have gotten had he been drafted where he belonged, but still less than the slot of where he was actually drafted. (Not sure if I explained that well)

I gotcha. I read it differently but I think you are right.

TKGuy
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Eades twitter post said he's headed to Minnesota

cmb0252
06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Eades twitter post said he's headed to Minnesota

Woot woot.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Bixler tweeted moments ago that he has officially signed. Not sure what the hold-up was...

Monkeypaws
06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
The Byron Buxton Brandon Bixler era has officially begun!

jokin
06-25-2013, 10:47 PM
The Byron Buxton Brandon Bixler era has officially begun!

How soon do they get to play together with DJ Baxendale at New Britain?

2wins87
06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
If the source for this article (http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Source-Ryan-Halstead-Dustin-DeMuth-plan-to-return-in-2014-136879) is to be trusted, DeMuth will return to Indiana next year (Halstead, the Twins 26th round pick, will also reportedly be returning to Indiana).

No word on Slegers. We'll have to see what Eades' signing bonus ends up being. If he goes for slot the Twins will have about $400,000 to offer Slegers without exceeding their bonus pool.

If DeMuth doesn't sign he'll be in a pretty similar situation to LJ Mazilli last year. Mazilli got $300,000 from the Mets this year (about $140,000 less than his 4th round slot value). I don't know if their was any public knowledge on how much the Twins offered him as a 9th round pick last year, but they were nearly $300,000 under their total pool last year, so they could have theoretically offered him over $400,000. I don't think DeMuth will be looking at an offer much bigger than $200,000. Still a pretty nice sum of money to turn down.

IdahoPilgrim
06-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Not a fun article to read for the Twins, but I'm going to choose to be a touch skeptical until after July 12th. Hometown paper. Could be accurate. Could be a negotiating move. If next year is a deeper draft, hard to see these guys moving up, plus the risk of injury...

Jeremy Nygaard
06-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Slegers just tweeted he's in the Cities, in the doctor's office. So I'd assume he's taking his physical and signing shortly.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Ryan Eades has officially signed, per his Twitter account.

johnnydakota
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Ryan Eades has officially signed, per his Twitter account.

I wonder if Ryan will swear at him ,and let him know tweeting and twitering is not allowed ,about anything club related?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Eades (and Boras) signed for exactly slot (gasp).

Eades has been tweeting about how excited he is to be a professional baseball player (that's ok), once he starts tweeting about how he's not injured/good to go and insurance won't cover his contract that will be problem.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Slegers will be done soon... this evening or tomorrow, most likely.

Monkeypaws
06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Hate to miss out on DeMuth and Halstead, but Eades and Slegers more than make up for it.

zenser
06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
It is still pretty impressive to sign 24 of your first 25 picks.

Vervehound
06-27-2013, 02:48 PM
If the source for this article (http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Source-Ryan-Halstead-Dustin-DeMuth-plan-to-return-in-2014-136879) is to be trusted, DeMuth will return to Indiana next year (Halstead, the Twins 26th round pick, will also reportedly be returning to Indiana).

No word on Slegers. We'll have to see what Eades' signing bonus ends up being. If he goes for slot the Twins will have about $400,000 to offer Slegers without exceeding their bonus pool.

If DeMuth doesn't sign he'll be in a pretty similar situation to LJ Mazilli last year. Mazilli got $300,000 from the Mets this year (about $140,000 less than his 4th round slot value). I don't know if their was any public knowledge on how much the Twins offered him as a 9th round pick last year, but they were nearly $300,000 under their total pool last year, so they could have theoretically offered him over $400,000. I don't think DeMuth will be looking at an offer much bigger than $200,000. Still a pretty nice sum of money to turn down.

it makes sense for halstead to go back to school - he has a big arm and might improve his draft position substantially with a big senior season. doesn't make much sense for demuth, however. he's already 22 and was drafted fairly aggressively for a corner guy without any power (yes i know he may move to second but it's not clear if he could handle that given his frame). if demuth is serious about pro ball, he'd sign, imo. i hope he does - he could be a good utillty guy that can really hit.

06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Sounds like Slegers has signed according to a post from the Twins on Facebook. Nice!

cmb0252
06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Slegers got 380k which is 29,500k over the 350,500 slot allotment. There goes the Twins extra money. Seems odd that Slegers got over slot.....maybe that's just me.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah, me too... his outing in Omaha must have increased his price tag. I'm sure it's tougher to get a read on asking prices with teams being active during the draft.

Monkeypaws
06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, the Twins are stockpiling height for sure.

benhertz
06-29-2013, 05:59 AM
According to Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2013xteam.php?team=1023), the Twins are $26,400 under budget for their 2013 bonus pool.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
There have been no new developments with DeMuth or Halstead, but I would guess those will go to tomorrow's deadline.

The Twins will be signing Ivory Thomas, who was a college senior. He will report to the GCL affiliate. I'm not sure if he'll be in the fold by tomorrow or not. (Deadline doesn't apply to college seniors.) But I'm told it will be done soon. Not the news we we're hoping to hear, but semi-news nonetheless.

Dman
07-11-2013, 04:17 PM
There have been no new developments with DeMuth or Halstead, but I would guess those will go to tomorrow's deadline.

The Twins will be signing Ivory Thomas, who was a college senior. He will report to the GCL affiliate. I'm not sure if he'll be in the fold by tomorrow or not. (Deadline doesn't apply to college seniors.) But I'm told it will be done soon. Not the news we we're hoping to hear, but semi-news nonetheless.

Any idea if the Twins are willing go over their pool amount significantly to DeMuth or Halstad?

iastfan112
07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
What are the chances any of the remaining high school players sign?

Jeremy Nygaard
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I would guess the answer to the previous two posts are the same: Very close to no chance.

cmb0252
07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
What are the chances any of the remaining high school players sign?

At this point very little if not zero. Unless the Twins are willing to pay taxes, which I doubt they will, I don't see them signing any of the kids left. Add in the potential of not signing DeMuth and the draft looks a little weaker than it did before.

iastfan112
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Any last minute signings?

cmb0252
07-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Any last minute signings?

None that has been reported on. There is a slim chance, very slim, they signed a late rounder for $100k

drjim
07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
39th rounder Scott Wagner signed. 6'8 HS lefty. Don't know bonus.

Smcginnity
07-12-2013, 09:50 PM
39th rounder Scott Wagner signed. 6'8 HS lefty. Don't know bonus.

I believe you mean Seth Wagner...he was supposed to go to Penn State on a partial scholarship but obviously, decided to go to the Twins! Sounds like a definite project, but hey, I won't turn down a lefty with that type of size.

nicksaviking
07-12-2013, 10:26 PM
At this point very little if not zero. Unless the Twins are willing to pay taxes, which I doubt they will, I don't see them signing any of the kids left. Add in the potential of not signing DeMuth and the draft looks a little weaker than it did before.

Ha, I think this was unintentional, but oh very hilarious considering the recent Forbes article. Twins pay their taxes. Zing!

diehardtwinsfan
07-13-2013, 05:40 AM
I believe you mean Seth Wagner...he was supposed to go to Penn State on a partial scholarship but obviously, decided to go to the Twins! Sounds like a definite project, but hey, I won't turn down a lefty with that type of size.

Odds are good the Twins said they'd pay for his college if he didn't make it. I've heard this is somewhat common for these types of signings, and I would think any kid with a partial scholarship would jump all over that.

6'8" lefty... wow. How hard does he throw?

Rapatt95
07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Odds are good the Twins said they'd pay for his college if he didn't make it. I've heard this is somewhat common for these types of signings, and I would think any kid with a partial scholarship would jump all over that.

6'8" lefty... wow. How hard does he throw?

He sits 85-89 hits 91-92

I played high school ball with him this year