PDA

View Full Version : Official Day 1 Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Twins Daily Admin
06-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Here it is: our thread for Day 1 where we'll all race to update the various picks and live and die with each rumor and choice. I'm going to try and close the various other threads. Let's gather here.

(I'm feeling like somehow the Twins end up with Mark Appel. And I will NOT tolerate any calls for a return to reality.)

InfraRen
06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Here it is: our thread for Day 1 where we'll all race to update the various picks and live and die with each rumor and choice. I'm going to try and close the various other threads. Let's gather here.

(I'm feeling like somehow the Twins end up with Mark Appel. And I will NOT tolerate any calls for a return to reality.)

Can't wait!!! If the Big 3 go 1-2-3 I'm 100% Stewart. If there's a shake-up I prefer one of Gray, Appel or Stewart. Bryant would be fine, just prefer one of those 3.

Tomorrow!!

twinsin17
06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
There has been a lot of talk about Twins targeting Kohl Stewart. By all accounts his "stuff" seems highly regarded in the scouting community. As a potential #4 pick shouldn't his stats show he has been dominating inferior HS competition? According to MaxPreps (Kohl Stewart (St. Pius X High School) Baseball Stats - MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/g3iMM_3-106JnYjK0DdEOQ/baseball-spring-11/stats-kohl-stewart.htm#pitching)) his numbers appear marginal at best. In 47.2 innings he has allowed 38 hits and walked 31 batters for a pedestrian 1.45 WHIP. He has struck out 42 batters (8.81 K/9) and has a 2.50 ERA. Not exactly an exciting stat line to say the least. Where is the line between projecting a prospect's future success and seeing in-game results? Is too much weight given to potential based on what a radar gun says? I would feel a lot better picking him if his results were more in line with the outstanding "stuff" you hear scouts raving about.

cmb0252
06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Keith Law backed up this Peter Gammons tweet that the Rockies are interested in Smith at #3. Update, also confirmed by McDaniels.

Peter Gammons @pgammo 6m

Draft is so unpredictable that it appears the ’Stros and Cubs @1-2 are in quandaries, and teams think the Rockies @3 go 1B Dominic Smith.

A

beckmt
06-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Still hoping the Twins go Gray or Stewart. If three pitchers go before the Twins, they probably should take Bryant(though I am not enthusiastic with this direction). Best for me would be Gray, but could not well get to #4

Okie
06-05-2013, 11:29 PM
After lurking here for the past month, I finally had to register...couldn't take it any longer.

Stewart has grown on me so much recently that the only person I'd rather have is Appel. Bryant is equally intriguing, but I honestly look at him and Stewart to be at pretty much the same level, so I'd rather have a potential ace than another potential slugger.

With that said, though, Appel, Gray, Bryant, and Stewart are separated from the rest, and I don't want to see any of them fall past the Twins at #4. I don't want to deal with passing on one and potentially dealing with "what if we would have drafted _____" for years, and I especially don't want the Indians to be the ones reminding us of that. Obviously you run that risk with every player in the draft, and prospects in the MLB are the furthest things from sure things, but I just feel that each of these four could be special.

snepp
06-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Link for convenience...

Twins Daily - Twins 2013 MLB Draft Primer (http://twinsdaily.com/1844-twins-daily-draft-day-primer.html)

John Bonnes
06-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Well, I'll take Bryant over Stewart (but Gray or Appel over either). After the year Bryant had - i feel like every team that passed on him is going to be wondering why they outsmarted themselves. I don't think his historical performance has had the time to sink in yet.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Well, I'll take Bryant over Stewart (but Gray or Appel over either). After the year Bryant had - i feel like every team that passed on him is going to be wondering why they outsmarted themselves. I don't think his historical performance has had the time to sink in yet.

Couldnt agree more, you cant pass on a guy that had that type of season for a super risky HS pitcher thats 4+ years away from the bigs. I think if he drops to the Twins they have to take him, it would be a steal for sure.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 01:36 AM
The more I think about it and talk to people I am wondering if the Twins could somehow mis out on Stewart, Appel and Gray. What if HOU takes Stewart because they want a pitcher with high upside and that is cheap which Stewart is both. Then CHC could take Appel or Gray and COL could take the other. Idk how likely that would be but it kinda makes sense...

howieramone
06-06-2013, 02:24 AM

Good point, but I don't think the Twins will. Can't pass up that type of power.

Vera
06-06-2013, 03:20 AM
ugh all this is confusing. Im trying to learn stuff about the Twins and was reading all this and decided to sign up so I could ask for some info. Can you guys tell me some stuff about the Twins? School project btw... :)

Vera
06-06-2013, 03:25 AM
lol its 3am and im doin school stuff, im guessing nodoby is on here?? oh well I will check tommorow...

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
ugh all this is confusing. Im trying to learn stuff about the Twins and was reading all this and decided to sign up so I could ask for some info. Can you guys tell me some stuff about the Twins? School project btw... :)

What exactly do you want us to tell you? There's lots of good reading material in these forums about our thoughts on our favorite team.

As for the draft, they need to take one of the big 4. I do really hope it's one of the pitchers, but if Stewart, Gray, and Appel go 1-3 in some order, Bryant is quite the consolation prize.

markos
06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
There has been a lot of talk about Twins targeting Kohl Stewart. By all accounts his "stuff" seems highly regarded in the scouting community. As a potential #4 pick shouldn't his stats show he has been dominating inferior HS competition? According to MaxPreps (Kohl Stewart (St. Pius X High School) Baseball Stats - MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/g3iMM_3-106JnYjK0DdEOQ/baseball-spring-11/stats-kohl-stewart.htm#pitching)) his numbers appear marginal at best. In 47.2 innings he has allowed 38 hits and walked 31 batters for a pedestrian 1.45 WHIP. He has struck out 42 batters (8.81 K/9) and has a 2.50 ERA. Not exactly an exciting stat line to say the least. Where is the line between projecting a prospect's future success and seeing in-game results? Is too much weight given to potential based on what a radar gun says? I would feel a lot better picking him if his results were more in line with the outstanding "stuff" you hear scouts raving about.

Those are his 2011 stats from when he was a sophomore. Here are his stats from this past season: Kohl Stewart (St. Pius X High School) Baseball Stats - MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/iF6p_p_YQUWZdM3z9W9kzA/baseball-spring-13/stats-kohl-stewart.htm)

40 innings, 13 hits, 16 walks, 59 SO and 0.18 ERA. (1 earned run allowed all season).

MaxPreps isn't the most intuitive about finding the correct seasons for players. I made the same mistake yesterday looking at Reese McGuire's stats.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Couldnt agree more, you cant pass on a guy that had that type of season for a super risky HS pitcher thats 4+ years away from the bigs. I think if he drops to the Twins they have to take him, it would be a steal for sure.
It has been proven that a HS starter is no more risky than a college starter. College starters are just closer to the MLB. On the other hand, with a HS starter you can refine his delivery while he is young and monitor the stress put on the arm. IMO, college coaches can be pretty hard on arms. I just don't like the argument that since he is a HS pitcher he is "super risky."

Blackjack
06-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Grey scares me because of the banned substance report. Coincidently his fastball is better and he has a great year?? Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole - or the 4th pick.

Don't like Stewart just because he is so young, a HS pick, lots of years for things to go wrong.

Really hope they get Bryant!!! For so many years the Twins were lucky to have one or two players with 20 HR's, would be nice to get Sano, Buxton, Bryant and some others together and do some mashing!! Think back to the days of Puckett, Hrbek, Gaetti, Brunanski, one guy would get hot for a week and carry the team, when he'd cool off, then one of the others would get hot and carry the team. That was fun!!

Brock Beauchamp
06-06-2013, 07:53 AM
It has been proven that a HS starter is no more risky than a college starter. College starters are just closer to the MLB. On the other hand, with a HS starter you can refine his delivery while he is young and monitor the stress put on the arm. IMO, college coaches can be pretty hard on arms. I just don't like the argument that since he is a HS pitcher he is "super risky."

Everybody knows high school pitchers are more prone to spontaneous combustion.

And it's really hard to get that "dead pitcher" smell out of the bus.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-06-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm intrigued by Adderall being a "banned substance". I'm about to give final exams to a horde of rampaging teenagers, and at least a few of them will have taken "Adderall" to help them focus (as it helps with ADD/ADHD--those with diagnoses and even those without try to take it at times). Does Gray have a diagnosis for Attention Deficit, or was it just supposed to be an added boost? I guess I could see how it might "enhance performance" but....

Thank goodness for Twins Daily, for years I thought I was a weirdo, alone in my interest in the MLB draft. Now I know that I'm a weirdo among many saner people who have an interest in the MLB draft.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Kiley McDaniel ‏@kileymcd (https://twitter.com/kileymcd)21m (https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/342628646357446656)
And for those wondering my mock draft isn't done because I still have no idea what will happen tonight.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
In a nutshell:

I'd be happy with Appel, Gray, Stewart, Bryant or Frazier.

I'd be very happy with Appel, Gray, or Stewart.

I know Bryant would be a steal, I just prefer a pitcher, but realize he'd be BPA.

If "Big 3" gone - give me Stewart please.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 08:38 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2249953102/wolfson1_normal.jpgDarren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)6s (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342636466700181504)
Tom Windle's camp hears he has a good shot to go between 30-55 tonight. Some teams in play: Tigers, Royals, White Sox, maybe Twins. #gophers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash)

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Jim Callis Mock - 4.0 Just Posted:

4. MINNESOTA TWINS: Minnesota needs power arms, and assuming that the big three will be gone, I’ve had the Twins tied to Texas high school righthander Kohl Stewart in each of my previous first-round projections. Now there’s word they may look in a different direction, but I think that’s mostly just frustration with how predraft talks have gone with the Texas A&M quarterback recruit. If they do pass on Stewart and there are no surprises in the top three picks, Minnesota likely would take Washington prep catcher Reese McGuire. Indiana high school lefthander Trey Ball, Nevada righty Braden Shipley and Frazier would be other options.
PROJECTED PICK: Kohl Stewart.
(Mock Draft 1.0: Kohl Stewart/2.0: Stewart/3.0: Stewart)
Mock Draft 4.0: The Final Countdown - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0-the-final-countdown/)

markos
06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
This is a rather interesting article from BA about success/failure rates of Top 100 draft picks during the past 20 years.

Top 100 Draft Flashback: What Does It All Mean? - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/top-100-draft-flashback-what-does-it-all-mean/)

Scouting/player development has changed a lot in the past two decades, so I'm not sure how meaningful the results from the early 1990s are. However, it does provide some interesting information. Additionally, this is an analysis of the top-100 picks in each draft, so these trends may not apply to the elite talents picked at the top of each draft.

Some takeaways:

1) College pitchers have a slightly higher probability of success than high school pitchers. In particularly, college left-handers are one of the safest picks for at least making it to the majors.

2) College position players have the highest probability of success, with 3rd basemen having the highest likelihood of all positions of both making the majors and being an impact player. (Kris Bryant anyone?)

3) High school position players are the riskiest draft picks, specifically HS outfielders.

Lots of other good nuggets of information.

BUGuy37
06-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Those are his 2011 stats from when he was a sophomore. Here are his stats from this past season: Kohl Stewart (St. Pius X High School) Baseball Stats - MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/iF6p_p_YQUWZdM3z9W9kzA/baseball-spring-13/stats-kohl-stewart.htm)

40 innings, 13 hits, 16 walks, 59 SO and 0.18 ERA. (1 earned run allowed all season).

MaxPreps isn't the most intuitive about finding the correct seasons for players. I made the same mistake yesterday looking at Reese McGuire's stats.

13 hits allowed in 40 innings pitched and only 1 earned fun allowed all year? Holy &%*$, my mind is unable to compute those numbers!

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Chris Crawford Final Mock:

Twins - Stewart

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/06/the-mock-final/

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm not concerned Gray tested hot for adderall I am concerned that he wasn't smart enough to just go get a prescription for it, they hand those out like candy.

Brock Beauchamp
06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not concerned Gray tested hot for adderall I am concerned that he wasn't smart enough to just go get a prescription for it, they hand those out like candy.

Hah. That was my first thought as well.

Really? Do we care about college kids taking Aderall? Considering the crap I was doing in college, that's really tame stuff.

Cocaine-fueled multi-night orgies might be a problem to consider. Taking Aderall during finals doesn't even rate.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 09:19 AM

Agree and I'm a guy who's always screaming for a pitcher, even admittedly last year when I preferred Appel and Gausman to Buxton.

But Bryant just looks special as does Appel and Gray. Stewart looks special too and I'd be thrilled to have him, but he just doesn't seem like the sure thing the other three do.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Jim Callis Mock - 4.0 Just Posted:

4. MINNESOTA TWINS: Minnesota needs power arms, and assuming that the big three will be gone, I’ve had the Twins tied to Texas high school righthander Kohl Stewart in each of my previous first-round projections. Now there’s word they may look in a different direction, but I think that’s mostly just frustration with how predraft talks have gone with the Texas A&M quarterback recruit. If they do pass on Stewart and there are no surprises in the top three picks, Minnesota likely would take Washington prep catcher Reese McGuire. Indiana high school lefthander Trey Ball, Nevada righty Braden Shipley and Frazier would be other options.
PROJECTED PICK: Kohl Stewart.
(Mock Draft 1.0: Kohl Stewart/2.0: Stewart/3.0: Stewart)
Mock Draft 4.0: The Final Countdown - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0-the-final-countdown/)

I was thinking about that this morning, if the Twins were going to go underslot, which they shouldn't, why would they go all the way down to get McGuire? Why not go for Ball, Shipley or Stankek? Or if they wanted to go farther down the list Bickford or Clarkin?

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
It has been proven that a HS starter is no more risky than a college starter. College starters are just closer to the MLB.

I've seen this on this board from a couple of members. Anyone have a link to this study? I just don't believe it.

mike wants wins
06-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Just curious, but if you would not take a pitcher high out of fear of injury/failure....how do you proprose your team ever get elite pitching?

Appel
Gray
Bryant/Stewart
Stanek
Shipley
Anyone else

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
A girl, on the internet?

Hi w-what is y-your..... q-question a-again?

:o:o

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I've seen this on this board from a couple of members. Anyone have a link to this study? I just don't believe it.

It makes sense, because all of the high school starters chosen are going to be high upside guys (thus why they are getting drafted out of high school) to me it seems arm injuries etc usually don't come into play later on once players are in the minors and throwing more than they ever have before (and harder)

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Chris Crawford Final Mock:

Twins - Stewart

The Mock: Final | (http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/06/the-mock-final/)

Basically this mock says: The Big 3 followed by the Twins taking Kohl Stewart. That seems to be the consensus just because I don't think anyone wants to speculate how crazy things get if the Astros or Rockie go the other way. But between both of those rumors, I have to think one of those is going to happen.

My prediction: I don't know how exactly, but one of the The Big 3 will be available to the Twins - and they'll still take Stewart. And I will be sad.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Hah. That was my first thought as well.

Really? Do we care about college kids taking Aderall? Considering the crap I was doing in college, that's really tame stuff.

Cocaine-fueled multi-night orgies might be a problem to consider. Taking Aderall during finals doesn't even rate.

The only thing that would MAYBE raise a red flag is if he took aderall to preform better in baseball, I took one of my ex gf's pills last year before a baseball game last season to see if it would effect my game, and low and behold it did in fact make me focus/pick up the pitches better.

But then again if that was the case he could easily get a scrip.

Cocaine-fueled multi night orgies would put him #1 in my book, ahead of Bryce Harper. (Can't wait for that guy crying about us talking about drinking beer to find this thread)

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
one of the The Big 3 will be available to the Twins - and they'll still take Stewart. And I will be sad.
No way. The Twins have proven they will take the best player available time and time again, no way they would let Gray or Morran past them. The only reason they would let Appel past them is if they knew they wouldn't be able to sign him.

worm33
Basically this goes The Big 3 followed by the Twins taking Kohl Stewart. That seems to be the consensus just because I don't think anyone wants to speculate how crazy things get if the Astros or Rockie go the other way. But between both of those rumors, I have to think one of those is going to happen.

My prediction: I don't know how exactly, but one of the The Big 3 will be available to the Twins - and they'll still take Stewart. And I will be sad.

Disagree....A more likely scenario would be Appell falling with Stewart available and the Twins taking someone like Reese Mcguire....I do not buy the twins taking Stewart. They have not taken a HS pitcher with their first pick in a draft since Dan Serafini in 1992 26th overall. Let alone one with signability concerns and leverage on his side. This is the 4th pick, I just dont see it. My #1 wish is Bryant followed by Gray.

Vervehound
13 hits allowed in 40 innings pitched and only 1 earned fun allowed all year? Holy &%*$, my mind is unable to compute those numbers!

pretty typical ace high school numbers - i'm guessing the competition was pretty fierce in that part of the world but it's hard to extrapolate anything from h.s. stats.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Personally, I think Houston goes Moran and then grabs Manaea in the 2nd. Not a bad idea at all, as both were considered top 10 talents at one point. Manaea's slide had a lot more to do with terrible timing of that injury than anything else. This idea that Colorado might pass on Bryant for a different hitter surprises me a lot. The underslot thing can work out if Houston doesn't go Moran, but if they do, the Rockies have to know that there are at least 2 names they expect to slide that they can throw a ton of cash at, cause Houston will grab one of them.

mike wants wins
06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Not to mention the Yankees and others have multiple picks....while they can't go over slot in the draft, players know the Yankees will reward them well if they make the majors....I just think undershooting talent is super risky, way more risky than taking a HS player......

Vervehound
06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I was thinking about that this morning, if the Twins were going to go underslot, which they shouldn't, why would they go all the way down to get McGuire? Why not go for Ball, Shipley or Stankek? Or if they wanted to go farther down the list Bickford or Clarkin?

probably because the perceived discount wouldn't be enough to get another guy high on their board. the two-fer makes sense but there's no telling who is going to be there at 43.

that said, if stewart is sticking to his guns re: a&M (which seems to be posturing right now), this might be my second favourite realistic option.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 09:55 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1413002961/261697_1774507407982_1398220196_31427237_7309874_n _normal.jpgJIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm (https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm)20s (https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/342655726008811520)
Bowden Big Board: 1.Kris Bryant 2.Mark Appel 3.Jonathan Gray 4.Clint Frazier 5.Kohl Stewart 6.Austin Meadows 7.Braden Shipley 8. DJ Peterson

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
probably because the perceived discount wouldn't be enough to get another guy high on their board. the two-fer makes sense but there's no telling who is going to be there at 43.

that said, if stewart is sticking to his guns re: a&M (which seems to be posturing right now), this might be my second favourite realistic option.

Any young Latin boys we should be looking at in round 2?

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3373446338/c4e6b4b7809ac3113c50b589bead3548_normal.jpegChris Crawford ‏@CrawfordChrisV (https://twitter.com/CrawfordChrisV)9s (https://twitter.com/CrawfordChrisV/status/342665479204245504)
I opened the draft chat for your questions, we'll get started in about 15-20 minutes. #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash) http://bit.ly/18Zcf5X (http://t.co/GnAXKctGgv)

Wow - sounds like he's going to go pretty much all day, get your Twins questions in:

Welcome everyone. We'll go for a few hours -- assuming you have questions for a few hours -- and then we'll take a break and get going through the night. I should warn you that I will be sporadic in this, as I am chatting over at ESPN as well. We'll see how good I am at multi-tasking.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Actualy more college pitchers taken in the first round over the last 40 or so years have made it to the majors, however on the average a HS pitcher that does make it is usualy better than a college arm. Is that what you meant? Heres a graph I found

Category

College Pitchers 1965-2008

High School Pitchers 1965-2008

Drafted

Made Majors

253 (71.1%)

176 (57.3%)

Made Avg. WAR

100+ Appearances

147 (41.3%)

100 (32.6%)

100+ Avg. WAR

It shows a higher percent of college pitchers make the majors but HS pitchers are usualy better.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Comment From Cory
Any chance Appel, Gray or Bryant fall to #4? I'm hoping for Appel or Gray on the Twins.

8:51

I would put the odds on one of the three being available at 45 percent. Most likely Bryant.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Disagree....A more likely scenario would be Appell falling with Stewart available and the Twins taking someone like Reese Mcguire....I do not buy the twins taking Stewart. They have not taken a HS pitcher with their first pick in a draft since Dan Serafini in 1992 26th overall. Let alone one with signability concerns and leverage on his side. This is the 4th pick, I just dont see it. My #1 wish is Bryant followed by Gray.

Of course if Appel fell that means another team above the Twins were going to underslot route. That team would still be picking before the Twins at #43 and would be able to snag Manaea or whoever you are hopeing for at that point.

I don't think the Twins are going to pass up the BPA due to signability. Stewart and Appel won't be nearly as hard to sign once the deadline approaches.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Comment From Cory
Any chance Appel, Gray or Bryant fall to #4? I'm hoping for Appel or Gray on the Twins.

8:51

I would put the odds on one of the three being available at 45 percent. Most likely Bryant.

I find that hard to believe. I would say its atleast a 55-60% chance one of them makes it to the Twins. I mean I could be wrong but how in many drafts have the top 3 rated guys actualy all been picked in the top 3? It just seems like one of them will fall for sure, especialy with the way the draft is set up now

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Comment From Guest
Kris Bryant = Miguel Sano, yes or no?

9:04
I think Sano is slightly better, which is no knock on Bryant.

9:04

Comment From Chris
Would the Twins draft Bryant if he falls to the 4?

9:05
If Gray/Appel are off the board, yes.

9:06

Comment From Andrew
If the Big 3 shake-up does go down, do you see the Twins taking one of them (Bryant,Appel,Gray) for sure over Kohl Stewart? Have heard from local baseball writers they "love" Stewart.

9:07
Love isn't strong enough of a word, but if Bryant or Gray are available, I think they're the pick. It's close though, kind of a divided room.

9:16

Comment From Greg
What are your thoughts on Ryan Boldt? Poor man's David Dahl?

9:17
Wouldn't call him a poor mans anything. He's got three 60 tools. The injury though makes him a very volatile prospect.

9:19

Comment From David
who was better coming out of HS into their respective drafts, Shelby Miller, Koll Stewart or Lance McCullers?

9:20

Kohl Stewart. I wasn't a huge fan of McCullers and I think Stewart has more helium than Miller did. Though Miller is/was fantastic.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3701661799/1dcd4987d59d14e47adf191ff0e211f1_normal.pngAaron Gleeman ‏@AaronGleeman (https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman)3m (https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/342675368957837315)
For whatever it's worth, I talked to a buddy in another team's front office who thinks the Twins will draft Kohl Stewart no matter what.

TheLeviathan
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
My trust in the Twins evaluating hitters has me crossing my fingers for Bryant.

markos
06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
There is also this from Baseball America:
Top 100 Draft Flashback: What Does It All Mean? - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/top-100-draft-flashback-what-does-it-all-mean/)

PITCHERS • TOP 100 PICKS • 1989-2008 DRAFTS

Position
Source
Signed
Graduate
Graduate%
Impact
Impact%
Top 5

RHP
HS
32.7%
11.3%

RHP
4YR
37.1%
15.0%

LHP
HS
32.7%
15.0%

LHP
4YR
47.9%
14.4%

HS
32.7%
12.4%

4YR
40.2%
14.8%

TOTAL
37.0%
13.8%

Graduate = 30 MLB games • Impact = 5 career WAR • Top 5 = WAR sum for five best

Beyond this data, I feel that baseball has completely changed how they handle young pitchers in the last 10 years, which is why I think that even studies like this over-sell the risk of high school pitchers. The over-use of pitchers is still rampant in college.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2249953102/wolfson1_normal.jpgDarren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)14s (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342678611926589441)
FWIW, the #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash) have not reached out on Colin Moran or Austin Meadows. Most signs still point to Kohl Stewart at No. 4 tonight.

boylan
06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Not a fan of a Kohl Stewart pick. All scouting reports uniformly give him a very low grade for command and if you look at the scouting tape on the net he very deliberately looks at his feet mid-motion on every single pitch. As a consequence he picks up the target late and his pitches, while having a very nice trajectory, wander around the plate area.

I've never seen a coach successfully correct this except through "muscle memory" (which is a BS approach to something like this) and I think Stewart winds up as a middle reliever or back-end rotation guy at best.

There are better options.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Has anyone seen Klaws new mock yet? He said he was working on one last night, I dont know if its out yet?

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
^It's out, just haven't seen it yet. (I'm not an Insider)

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2249953102/wolfson1_normal.jpgDarren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)14s (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342681091527823361)
Advisor via text just now w/ a stake in the #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash) draft: "Stewart is going 4." Me: "What if he goes 1 to hometown?" Advisor: "He's not. "

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Not a fan of a Kohl Stewart pick. All scouting reports uniformly give him a very low grade for command and if you look at the scouting tape on the net he very deliberately looks at his feet mid-motion on every single pitch. As a consequence he picks up the target late and his pitches, while having a very nice trajectory, wander around the plate area.

I've never seen a coach successfully correct this except through "muscle memory" (which is a BS approach to something like this) and I think Stewart winds up as a middle reliever or back-end rotation guy at best.

There are better options.

Who do you work for again? Are you a scout for a MLB team, HS or a College? Or something else? You must be a good pro scout to see something nobody else sees.

birdwatcher
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
This entire discussion of course is centered on ranking information gleaned from a handful of sources. These people are credible for sure, but it's important to remember their resource limitations. The baseball teams have multiple scouts who see these prospects many times, over the entire continuum of their amateur careers. Two dozen scouting pros will have in the least studied lots of video. They'll have meaningful information about their character and makeup. They'll have had a lot of discussion about each top prospect. So it shouldn't be at all surprising if a player that BA for example ranks as say, the tenth best prospect, goes in the top five. And not because of an underslot strategy.

So, we might want to get ready for the outrage if our team selects a prospect that doen't line up with Keith Law's point of view. I mean, just maybe the Twins truly believe that Frazier is the better prospect and not Stewart, just to throw out names. If that happens, it won't be because they aren't as competent as Jonathan Mayo. It''ll be a decision based on better information and a sounder basis.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)36s (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342682152728682497)
All Radcliff gave me: they have a book on him & have thought about him at 43. RT ‏@InfraRen (https://twitter.com/InfraRen) @DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson) pin down Twins interest in Boldt?

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2249953102/wolfson1_normal.jpgDarren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)14s (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342678611926589441)
FWIW, the #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash) have not reached out on Colin Moran or Austin Meadows. Most signs still point to Kohl Stewart at No. 4 tonight.

Why would they need to reach out to either one? Its not like they will be "tough signings"

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Has anyone seen Klaws new mock yet? He said he was working on one last night, I dont know if its out yet?

Law says that as of late last night, the Astros were trying to nail down a cost for Appel that would allow them to still be a little under slot for that first pick. Then he went Gray and Bryand and the Twins took Stewart.

Law says that isn't a sure thing for HOU, and they still could go Moran. It sounds like it's going to come down to the money.

Gernzy
Sounds like its going to be Stewart. If Appel or Gray is there at 4, I hope we take one of them instead.

cmb0252
Mayo's new and final mock. Twins going Stewart.

Jonathan Gray still looking like No. 1 overall pick in MLB First-Year Player Draft | MLB.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130606&content_id=49792594&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_49792594)

boylan
06-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Who do you work for again? Are you a scout for a MLB team, HS or a College? Or something else? You must be a good pro scout to see something nobody else sees.

The scouts ALL see the control problems and have graded him as such. They aren't the ones that have to fix it however and that's crux of the player development/scout conflict. I agree, if his control problems can be fixed he's probably a can't miss prospect but I'm guessing he's been throwing this way since little league. He's not alone.

Oxtung
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Matt Garrioch did a study of drafts from '87(I think) to '01 on every player drafted. He found that, in the first round at least, HS RHP were slightly more likely to be solid everyday players than college RHP. However, HS LHP failed at a very high rate, something like only 20% made it to the majors.

Here is the link to the google docs spreadsheet. You can look at the success rates of all the positions broken down by HS/College, RH/LH, Round drated and differentiated into never made it to majors, part time player, solid regular, part time allstar, regular allstar, superstar, alltime great. He used WAR as his stat of choice.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-772wlhxPhPNjUyY2JiMmItYzJlYi00Yjk5LThlOTUtODkwN2Iz MTU5ODIx/edit?hl=en_US

ashburyjohn
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
A girl, on the internet?

Hi w-what is y-your..... q-question a-again?

:o:o

My spidey-sense is telling me she's either a prank, scam, or sting of some kind. My apologies, Vera, if I am wrong.

cmb0252
Stupid internet is down so I'm stuck using my phone. Here is what law had to say:

Pick:Stewart
Analysis:*They have considered Reese McGuire, and I think they'd take Gray or Appel if either one got here, assuming they knew either player would sign.

He has a chat at 2 est so go ask him questions

InfraRen
The scouts ALL see the control problems and have graded him as such. They aren't the ones that have to fix it however and that's crux of the player development/scout conflict. I agree, if his control problems can be fixed he's probably a can't miss prospect but I'm guessing he's been throwing this way since little league. He's not alone.

They also say that most stud HS pitchers are throwers at that age since they're easily beating the HS hitters. They don't really develop the full feel for pitching until later on. I see this as a good thing. He has 4 great pitches, TONS of raw ability - and will polish up before the Bigs.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
9:43

Comment From Andrew
What do you think the range is on Hunter Green? Any chance there for Twins at 43?

9:44

Sure, absolutely. Could go as high as 23 and could go as low as mid second round. There are a ton of lefties this year, what order they go in is one of the better mysteries of this draft.

Oxtung
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Actualy more college pitchers taken in the first round over the last 40 or so years have made it to the majors, however on the average a HS pitcher that does make it is usualy better than a college arm. Is that what you meant? Heres a graph I found

Category
College Pitchers 1965-2008
High School Pitchers 1965-2008

Drafted

Made Majors
253 (71.1%)
176 (57.3%)

Made Avg. WAR

100+ Appearances
147 (41.3%)
100 (32.6%)

100+ Avg. WAR

It shows a higher percent of college pitchers make the majors but HS pitchers are usualy better.

I'm not sure what good that data does. So much has changed that anything older than the 90's and the information revolution, is suspect IMO. Even Garrioch's study that I just linked to is questionable though it goes back to '87 I believe.

Joe A. Preusser
06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
They also say that most stud HS pitchers are throwers at that age since they're easily beating the HS hitters. They don't really develop the full feel for pitching until later on. I see this as a good thing. He has 4 great pitches, TONS of raw ability - and will polish up before the Bigs.

I agree with this. If he were trying to "pitch" instead of throw then I might be worried about minor mechanics. But then again, if a HS kid needs to really "pitch" to be successful instead of just going out there and rocking and rolling, then he probably isn't much of a prospect yet. It's the raw talent and ability to throw the ball through the backstop that makes him a prospect. Our minor league system will teach him how to truly "pitch."

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2249953102/wolfson1_normal.jpgDarren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson)1m (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/342687240436207617)
Gotten a few "What if Gray falls to 4?" questions. I don't have the final answer right now. That advisor heard Gray won't fall. #mntwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mntwins&src=hash)

boylan
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with that. The reason HS pitchers have historically been bad picks (relative to other options) is that (historically) scouts fall in love with the velocity and that's all the kids ever have.

That is NOT the case with Stewart. If one watches the tape it's clear he is not just a thrower. My freak-out with him is I know what he's doing with his delivery and what it takes to fix.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Another chat if people are interested (and/or as obsessive as me):

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1359063939/pebertmug_normal.jpgPatrick Ebert ‏@PGPatrickEbert (https://twitter.com/PGPatrickEbert)32s (https://twitter.com/PGPatrickEbert/status/342688555690242048)
The #PG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PG&src=hash) Draft LIVE! chat portal is open for your questions - @FPilierePG (https://twitter.com/FPilierePG) will be in there to answer them #mlbdraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash) http://www.perfectgame.org/Draft/DraftHQ.aspx … (http://t.co/vhPNePGUZ4)

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Re-post, sorry.

markos
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
This from Dave Cameron today:

Eddy finds something similar when he looks at pitchers as well. Basically, the idea that college players are significantly better bets than high school players simply doesn’t seem to be true anymore, if it ever was. The flameout rate of high school players is much higher, but almost the entirety of the difference is made up of college guys who get to the big leagues but never amount to much. In terms of actually finding talent who produce significant value — and it’s not like +10 WAR is a crazy high bar — high school players have done nearly as well, despite the fact that (as Eddy notes) the three year head start they have should bias the results of active players towards the college guys.

LINK: Analyzing Draft History | FanGraphs Baseball (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/link-analyzing-draft-history/)

This is in reference to the BA article I linked to earlier.

markos
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
This from Dave Cameron today:

Eddy finds something similar when he looks at pitchers as well. Basically, the idea that college players are significantly better bets than high school players simply doesnít seem to be true anymore, if it ever was. The flameout rate of high school players is much higher, but almost the entirety of the difference is made up of college guys who get to the big leagues but never amount to much. In terms of actually finding talent who produce significant value ó and itís not like +10 WAR is a crazy high bar ó high school players have done nearly as well, despite the fact that (as Eddy notes) the three year head start they have should bias the results of active players towards the college guys.

LINK: Analyzing Draft History | FanGraphs Baseball (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/link-analyzing-draft-history/)

This is in reference to the BA article I linked to earlier.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Exactly, show me a HS pitcher that doesnt need any tunning before he gets to the majors and I will show you an alien.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Most of the aces in the MLB are HS pitchers (Strasburg, Kershaw), but that doesnt mean HS pitchers make it to the MLB more than College pitchers. More college pitchers make it to the MLB, its a fact. I would rather take a HS pitcher high because they have a better chance to be an ace, and the Twins could develop him better than a college team could.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I find it amusing that all these "leaks" occur shotgun style the day of the draft. Seems to me this would be the day of the most deception.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
A few more questions fro Christopher Crawfords chat (internet is finally working).

Comment From Cory
Who do the Twins look at in round 2, #43?

8:54

I think it depends on what route they go at 43. If they go with Stewart or McGuire I think they look at a college arm like Balog or Chris Anderson, someone along those lines. If they go Gray then prep pitcher like Jacob Brentz or Blake Taylor.

Comment From Cory
Would Byron Buxton still be the #1 rated player in this draft as well as last year?

8:59

Absolutely. I was on board with Buxton ever since I laid eyes on him in Chicago in 2012. What a beast.

Comment From Casey
What do you think Stewart's price tag is?

9:36

Over slot, for sure. My guess is somewhere in the $5, $5.5 range, assuming he goes 4.

Comment From Muggsy
which is the better option for the twins: mcquire and +$2million to spend on the rest of their draft or stewart @ $5 million and virtually nothing to spend on the rest of their draft?

9:52

I think it's Stewart, and I wouldn't say virtually nothing. They'd still have $3 million or so to play with. If he signs for $5

Comment From Ryan
Tom Windle to the Twins at 43?

10:00

He should be available, it would be a slight reach but not the worst thing in the world. More of a back-end starter to me.

If any are a repost, sorry

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Keith Law's chat will be starting any minute now. Get your Twins draft questions in!

Chat: Chat with Keith Law - SportsNation - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/48183)

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 12:57 PM
So I did some research to find out if more HS pitchers or College pitchers taken in the first round make it to the MLB. I looked at the pitchers taken in the 1st round from 03-07, heres what I found

Pitchers taken in 1st round /Made it to MLB(15+ Wins)

HS-23/35%

College-47/40%

The percent that make it to the MLB is pretty even, but HS pitchers that are taken in the first round are more likely to become Aces. I used 15 wins minmum because that shows they stayed for atleast a little bit, some only played a game or 2. I know this is just a very rough outline but whatever.

Twins Twerp
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Most of the aces in the MLB are HS pitchers (Strasburg, Kershaw), but that doesnt mean HS pitchers make it to the MLB more than College pitchers. More college pitchers make it to the MLB, its a fact. I would rather take a HS pitcher high because they have a better chance to be an ace, and the Twins could develop him better than a college team could.

No offense, but Strasburg wasn't even drafted out of high school in all 40 rounds (i don't think). He played under Tony G. But he was technically a high school pitcher at one time.

3rd Inning Stretch
06-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Errr Strasburg is a college guy, so are Price, Verlander, etc. Good HS ones as well (Kershaw, Hamels, Wainwright, Cain) but many college guys have become aces.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
My spidey-sense is telling me she's either a prank, scam, or sting of some kind. My apologies, Vera, if I am wrong.

Since she hasn't posted back, I tend to agree... though if she had, I was going to warn her that you might steal her avatar and photoshop a TC on it somewhere.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 01:13 PM
From Law's chat:

Your best guess - Kohl Stewart going to sign an MLB contract or go to A&M to back up Jonny football?
Klaw (2:09 PM)

He's going to sign.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
A few more questions fro Christopher Crawfords chat (internet is finally working).

Comment From Cory
Who do the Twins look at in round 2, #43?

8:54

I think it depends on what route they go at 43. If they go with Stewart or McGuire I think they look at a college arm like Balog or Chris Anderson, someone along those lines. If they go Gray then prep pitcher like Jacob Brentz or Blake Taylor.

Comment From Cory
Would Byron Buxton still be the #1 rated player in this draft as well as last year?

8:59

Absolutely. I was on board with Buxton ever since I laid eyes on him in Chicago in 2012. What a beast.

Comment From Casey
What do you think Stewart's price tag is?

9:36

Over slot, for sure. My guess is somewhere in the $5, $5.5 range, assuming he goes 4.

Comment From Muggsy
which is the better option for the twins: mcquire and +$2million to spend on the rest of their draft or stewart @ $5 million and virtually nothing to spend on the rest of their draft?

9:52

I think it's Stewart, and I wouldn't say virtually nothing. They'd still have $3 million or so to play with. If he signs for $5

Comment From Ryan
Tom Windle to the Twins at 43?

10:00

He should be available, it would be a slight reach but not the worst thing in the world. More of a back-end starter to me.

If any are a repost, sorry
If Chris Anderson is there at 43, I suspect there will be a lot of rejoicing in the minor league forums... just don't see that one happening.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Andrew (Minnesota)

How high must Ryan Boldt be drafted to sign and not head to Nebraska?

Klaw (2:15 PM)

I don't think it's about the pick, but the money. I'm guessing first-round money or close to it gets him signed. That'll be a tough physical, though - he's got more than one medical question to answer.
-------------------------------------
Jim (Rhode Island )

I'm not sold on Stewart as a top ten pick. Aren't scouts worried about his control ?
Klaw (2:16 PM)

If he had plus control now, he'd go first overall. Almost every prospect has a question mark on him. He's a great athlete with four pitches, two plus, and a workable delivery.

cmb0252
Perfect games released their mock today. Have the Twins taking Stewart.

KOHL STEWART - RHP - St. Pius X HS, Texas
Similar to the Rockies and their connection to Kris Bryant, the Twins have been frequently mentioned in having heavy interest in prep righthander Kohl Stewart, who enjoyed a sensational spring season as the best prep pitcher since Dylan Bundy, who went No. 4 overall to the Orioles in 2011.

MLB Mock Draft Version 3 | Perfect Game USA (http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8572)

nicksaviking
I'm no IT guy but my work computer is suddenly throwing up a bunch of red flags on this site. Did Dave's new internet "girlfriend" dump a bunch of viruses in here?

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Jim (Rhode Island )

I'm not sold on Stewart as a top ten pick. Aren't scouts worried about his control ?
Klaw (2:16 PM)

If he had plus control now, he'd go first overall. Almost every prospect has a question mark on him. He's a great athlete with four pitches, two plus, and a workable delivery.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm no IT guy but my work computer is suddenly throwing up a bunch of red flags on this site. Did Dave's new internet "girlfriend" dump a bunch of viruses in here?
Maybe it's a Red Sox fan since they want Stewart so bad.

howieramone
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Can you provide us with some type of number to help us prove Butera is still a premier defensive catcher? It can't be opinion, nor must it be a fact. We can throw the game into extra innings with a justified belief. Also, what round do you have Vera going in?

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Not draft but from Law's chat:

Do you agree with the Buxton/Trout comparisons that are being talked about after Buxton's huge season so far?
Klaw (2:20 PM)

No, and I say that as a big Buxton fan who would have taken him first overall last year. Trout was a year younger than Buxton when he dominated that same level, with a higher contact rate. But if Buxton is 95% of Trout that's a pretty freaking good player.

Also, BA is holding a draft chat at 3 ct

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
BA just put out their updated top 50. Top 5 still the same with Stewart at #5.

Updated 2013 Draft Top 50 - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/updated-2013-draft-top-50/)

Here is a link to their complete list of 500 prospects:

BaseballAmerica.com: Draft Preview Database (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/)

mk
06-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Question for the HS vs. college pitcher debate. Is it reasonable to assume that a HS pitcher has a good chance to pick up a couple ticks on the FB with growth and a higher level of coaching than a college pitcher who is already 4 years older? Meaning, could Stewart who now maxes at 97, increase to 99 and be on the same level as Appel?

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Question for the HS vs. college pitcher debate. Is it reasonable to assume that a HS pitcher has a good chance to pick up a couple ticks on the FB with growth and a higher level of coaching than a college pitcher who is already 4 years older? Meaning, could Stewart who now maxes at 97, increase to 99 and be on the same level as Appel?

Reasonable, yes. It is not a guarantee though.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM

While Stewart doesn't have bad mechanics he does have a few things to smooth out. Some experts feel with a chance to work with proper pitching coaches he could easily fix these minor problems which could lead to increased velocity. Nothing is guaranteed but I can definitely see him gaining a tick or two. Law has his present fastball at a 65 grade and projects his fastball to be a 70 grade in the future.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
McDaniels posted his final mock and has, you guessed it, Stewart to the Twins.

Scout.com: Mock Draft 4.0: The Final Reckoning (http://sbb.scout.com/2/1297610.html)

Also, McDaniel's final draft board:
http://sbb.scout.com/3/2013MLBDRAFTTOPPROSPECTS.html

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Not draft but from Law's chat:

Do you agree with the Buxton/Trout comparisons that are being talked about after Buxton's huge season so far?
Klaw (2:20 PM)

No, and I say that as a big Buxton fan who would have taken him first overall last year. Trout was a year younger than Buxton when he dominated that same level, with a higher contact rate. But if Buxton is 95% of Trout that's a pretty freaking good player.

Also, BA is holding a draft chat at 3 ct

I find this a dumb statement by Klaw because although Trouts contact rate is a was a little higher than Buxtons is Buxtons power numbers are higher than Trouts were. Buxton has an OPS of 1.023 while Trouts was around .970. Either way there numbers are so similar when they were each on CR.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
No offense, but Strasburg wasn't even drafted out of high school in all 40 rounds (i don't think). He played under Tony G. But he was technically a high school pitcher at one time.

Your right, I dont know why I thought he was a HS pitcher.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
BA's draft chat has started. Get in and ask Twins questions!

BaseballAmerica.com: Chat Draft (http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1370541628)

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
BA released an article on pick value that just shows why you should take BPA at #4. Picks 1-5 have a much higher chance of success. Full article here:

Top 100 Draft Flashback: First-Round Pick Values - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/top-100-draft-flashback/)

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Harold Reynolds says he would take Stewart #1

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 03:50 PM
BA released an article on pick value that just shows why you should take BPA at #4. Picks 1-5 have a much higher chance of success. Full article here:

Top 100 Draft Flashback: First-Round Pick Values - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/top-100-draft-flashback/)

Interesting, so if the Twins can't get the best player available they would be best off if they picked the 7th best player available.

Highabove
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
There will be live streaming coverage on MLB.com.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Holy F.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1320320350/default_normal.jpgDavid Rawnsley ‏@DavidRawnsleyPG (https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG)49s (https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG/status/342745713953878017)
Interesting, well placed source just told me that Astros are down to Stewart or Moran. Kohl would certainly be a surprise.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Harold Reynolds says he would take Stewart #1

BS, he'd take the hot college intern unless she was demanding an over slot bonus.

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM

This is a hell of a good story/study. It's well worth the click over.

TheLeviathan
06-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Holy F.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1320320350/default_normal.jpgDavid Rawnsley ‏@DavidRawnsleyPG (https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG)49s (https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG/status/342745713953878017)
Interesting, well placed source just told me that Astros are down to Stewart or Moran. Kohl would certainly be a surprise.

That opens to door for a lot of excitement or quite a bit of bitterness.

Fingers crossed here that Bryant would be the one slipping.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
^And I'm the opposite, I'd be praying Appel or Gray slips.

cmb0252
From BA's chat (Corner Glassey's time)

Are the Twins a lock to take Kohl Stewart unless one of the college arms slip? Thanks!

Conor Glassey: No, I heard he was losing some favor in Minnesota. It sounds like they're considering a group of players (Ball, Shipley, Reese McGuire) - perhaps as a way to get Stewart to drop his price? We'll see. Lots of gamesmanship happening over the past 24 hours.

Is there a concensus on Reese McGuire's hit and power tools or is there a range in the scounting community? Low, moderate or high likelihood of signing a pro contract?

Conor Glassey: There is a bit of a mix. Scouts who love him can project on the bat and see an average hitter with at-least average power potential. While other scouts grade him out as below-average to fringy with the bat. But the defense and makeup are special. He is a premium defender who has been calling his own games since he was 10 years old. THAT IS UNHEARD OF in today's power-hungry, micro-managing environment of HS, travel ball & college ball. Reese is considered a great kid and scouts love him and think he's going to be a big leaguer even if the bat doesn't pan out because everything else is so good. I think it's highly likely he signs if he's drafted in the top half of the first round, like we expect.

John Bonnes
I would personally take this as very good news. Twins would almost have to take a Big 3 guy then.

Holy F.

Red Bull
Holy F.

Last night I posted on here somewhere that I wouldnt be suprised if the Twins missed out on Appel, Gray and Stewart. If HOU really wants a pitcher with high upside that is also cheap they could take Stewart, then CHC and COL would each take either Appel or Gray.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Holy F.

Stewart? That's shocking seeing they haven't been in on him at all according to several experts. Gray/Appel must be asking for the moon.

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Radcliff was pretty adamant about BPA, so if one of the Big 3 drops, I think we snag them - regardless of Boras or not.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Jim Callis just tweeted:

Deja vu. Two hours before #mlbdraft, no concrete idea of whats #astris will do at No. 1. Killing me!

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
From BA:

Chances the Twins don't take one of the "big 3" if one of them falls to #4? I'm hoping for Gray.

Nathan Rode: Always a chance, but I'd say less than 1%. I'm sure they would be delighted to take one of those three.

Also, Christopher Crawford is doing his second chat of the day.

http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php?option=com_altcaster&task=siteviewaltcast&altcast_code=de883cd213&height=550&width=470

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Comment From Dave
Would McGuire be a huge reach at 4?

1:59

Chris Crawford:
It would be pretty substantial. McGuire's defensive abilities are very impressive, but he's no where near a top five talent to me, and I don't think he's worth a pick in the top ten.

Comment From Ricky
Is Kohl Stewart as good as Dylan bundy?

2:00

Craig Goldstein:
Stewart's a great prospect but I think it's a stretch to put Bundy's success since getting drafted on anyone (injuries excluded)

2:00

Chris Crawford:
Agreed. Bundy would go 1-1 in this class.

Comment From dennet
Okay, without specifying who said what, a few days ago one commentator suggested that the Twins might pass on Kohl Stewart and he'd fall to the Red Sox. Do you think that's plausible?

2:07
Craig Goldstein:
Chris knows more than I do on this, but it's definitely possible. So much depends on what happens with the picks ahead of them.

2:07
Chris Crawford:
Yes, I know someone told someone else about Stewart and Moran. I have no idea if it's true. I'll look into it. It wouldn't shock me one bit.

2:08
Chris Crawford:
If he falls to the Red Sox, he's there's.

Comment From Sam
Sounds like the only way Stewart gets past Twins is if Moran goes 1-1. Correct?

2:11

Chris Crawford:
I wouldn't say that, no. But I'd put the likelihood of him falling out of the top five very low.

Comment From Steven
Out of players you have going in the top 10, who has the biggest bust potential?

2:13

Chris Crawford:
Reese McGuire. And that's not a knock on him, I just don't see the offensive upside to justify going 4th or 9th.

Smcginnity
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm back in MN for the first time in while driving from KC and listening to KFAN. They haven't mentioned the draft once and it is draft day! Does KFAN just not know anything bout baseball? Seems like they are uncomfortable discussing it. They are just a terrible station

James
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
All this draft talk... Raspberry! Why can't it be 6PM right now!

Overall, I'm going to be excited with whoever the Twins take (assuming that the only options are Gray, Appel, Bryant or Stewart).

drivlikejehu
06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
The slots drop off too quickly for that much brinkmanship at the top of the draft. If the Astros pass on Gray & Appel it's because they want to save more space for later.

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm back in MN for the first time in while driving from KC and listening to KFAN. They haven't mentioned the draft once and it is draft day! Does KFAN just not know anything bout baseball? Seems like they are uncomfortable discussing it. They are just a terrible station

Shoulda listened at 8:20 this morning. :-)

DutchFarmer
06-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Have to stick with 1500 if you want any Twins talk that is even somewhat thought out.

John Bonnes
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Are people going to be disappointed if we end up with Bryant ( because pitchers go 1-2-3)? Do we need pitching that bad?

i know I won't. But I sense I'm in the minority.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Only when John's in the station, then they humor him and pretend they understand what he's talking about.

Oh and Barreiro will rip on the Twins daily, which actually annoys me even though I do it often enough. Barreiro only does it with the intention to piss people off. Pointless ranting is his schtick.

nicksaviking
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Are people going to be disappointed if we end up with Bryant ( because pitchers go 1-2-3)? Do we need pitching that bad?

I'm always screaming for pitchers but Bryant looks like he could easily become an elite player. I'd probably be upset if he went over Gray and Appel, but not over Stewart.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Comment From drew
Most impressive amateur you've gotten to scout in person? from this draft or previous

2:18
Chris Crawford:
Byron Buxton. Without question.

Comment From oakfan
If the 'Stros surprised everyone 1-1 who do you think they take?

2:19
Chris Crawford:
Well, if the Kohl Stewart rumors are true, then that would be pretty surprising. Wouldn't it? I guess nothing surprises me.

Comment From Bryce
If Ryan Boldt didn't get injured, where would he have gone? Any chance the Twins take the "hometown boy" at #43?

2:20
Chris Crawford:
I think he'd go around 20-25, probably as high as Detroit. Absolutely could go at 43, but it's a huge risk.

Chris Crawford:
Keep this in mind re: Stewart, no prep right-hander has ever gone 1-1. Be cool to see history tonight.

Comment From dennet
I see a hot off the twitter rumor that the Astros are "down to either Stewart or Moran." Bluffing? Or are they very serious about their save $ at the top strategy?

2:24

Chris Crawford:
Okay that's not true. But the majority of them are pretty awesome.

2:24

Craig Goldstein:
I think it could be a leverage play, floating Moran or Stewart, but it also depends on their draft board. If they're all in a bunch on your board, go with value and grab a guy (or two or three) later

johnnydakota
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Radcliff was pretty adamant about BPA, so if one of the Big 3 drops, I think we snag them - regardless of Boras or not.

It has also been reported that 7 of the first 10 picks will be pitchers...

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 04:38 PM

No, you can never have enough talent. Look what happened this last off season, we traded from a position of strength to acquire pitching prospects

Smcginnity
06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I wish you Twins Daily guys would all have your own show in KFAN. It would be so much better for Baseball talk and 10 times more interesting!

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
McDaniels has his second chat going here. Lots of chats today!

Scout.com: 2013 MLB Draft Chat: Day One (http://sbb.scout.com/2/1297132.html)

InfraRen
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Anyone know if you can listen to the Draft? I'll be driving/doing other things when the draft starts : (

boylan
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Reportedly he is being advised by Boras. And, he's a junior.

The idea makes me queasy.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I wish you Twins Daily guys would all have your own show in KFAN. It would be so much better for Baseball talk and 10 times more interesting!
I think I should have my own show too. The whole world would probably listen to me.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow, 7 pages in and we are still about an hour from the draft.

ashburyjohn
06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Since she hasn't posted back, I tend to agree... though if she had, I was going to warn her that you might steal her avatar and photoshop a TC on it somewhere.

Who knows, maybe she will bring Pelf some luck tonight.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Wow, 7 pages in and we are still about an hour from the draft.

Lots of information out there! Less than an hour away!

James
06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Who knows, maybe she will bring Pelf some luck tonight.
Well played sir.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Got a text from my source, says the Twins feel confident one of Appel or Gray fall to them and they WILL pull the trigger

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I love the uncertainty of this draft. I wish it was more publicized than it is. I'm watching MLB network and love seeing the draft rooms. Houston only have like 5 people in it while Chicago has about 20.

DutchFarmer
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Got a text from my source, says the Twins feel confident one of Appel or Gray fall to them and they WILL pull the trigger

My source tells me that one of Appel, Gray, Bryant, or Stewart will be available at 4 and we might draft one...

ashburyjohn
06-06-2013, 05:21 PM
My source tells me that one of Appel, Gray, Bryant, or Stewart will be available at 4 and we might draft one...

My sources agree, but go on to say that they could surprise everybody.

SurroundedByTigers
06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd like the Twins to time travel back to when Miguel Cabrera was available, and draft him tonight. That would solve our problem at third base.

Monkeypaws
06-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Adding Bryant to the Twins' offensive stable could render pitching irrelevant. A few years from now, the Twins will just bludgeon their opponents into dust.

11-10 might be a common score.

As long as you have one side of the game nailed down....

How good is Bryant on breaking balls?

Any TV coverage tonight?

Ncgo4
06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Clint Frazier was in TV and I think I saw a Twins pin on his necktie. He's my favorite.

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Adding Bryant to the Twins' offensive stable could render pitching irrelevant. A few years from now, the Twins will just bludgeon their opponents into dust.

11-10 might be a common score.

As long as you have one side of the game nailed down....

How good is Bryant on breaking balls?

Any TV coverage tonight?

How that working out for LAA? You need pitching, it wins championships. LA has a good staff and they are still struggling. The best teams are the ones with good pitching(DET, SF, STL) Notice how SF isnt as good anymore because there pitching is struggling?

Red Bull
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Clint Frazier was in TV and I think I saw a Twins pin on his necktie. He's my favorite.

First off how did he get in your TV? Second the Twins would never take him.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
MLB network

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Almost time for the Twins to get another top 50 draft prospect!

buckninetyone
06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
maybe steve nebraska, or perhaps henry rowengartner, or todd van poppel. the options are limitless.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Getting closer!

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM

3 of the best 4 players are pitchers. And there's a big drop off after that. I've been a huge fan of drafting a pitcher, but Appel, Gray, and Stewart go 1-2-3, then I think Bryant is the right choice. Will I be disappointed? Yes, but not in the Twins... That's just how the chips fall.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd like the Twins to time travel back to when Miguel Cabrera was available, and draft him tonight. That would solve our problem at third base.

Except that he was an international signing... Ironically, it was the Twins that found him... The Marlins snatched him away.

drivlikejehu
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Except that he was an international signing... Ironically, it was the Twins that found him... The Marlins snatched him away.

Well, the Twins cheaped out. It's not like the Yankees or another big spender got him.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Well, the Twins cheaped out. It's not like the Yankees or another big spender got him.
That wasn't the problem. Literally, the Marlins stole him away (like in the back of an el camino). To this day I can't believe there weren't charges filed.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Happy Draft day everyone! Time to crack a beer!

Ncgo4
06-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Well the Astros are up. Is this the crazy Astros or the baseball Astros? We'll fin out in a couple minits.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Keith Law is reporting he is hearing it is Appel.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Happy Draft day everyone! Time to crack a beer!
Is it ok if I started already? Feel like I got caught with my pants down.

3rd Inning Stretch
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM
That wasn't the problem. Literally, the Marlins stole him away (like in the back of an el camino). To this day I can't believe there weren't charges filed.

Kinda like how we got Sano from Pitt...they were front runners on him and we got him...similar to how we were in first on Cabrera, but Fla got him.

maxisagod
06-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Oh wait... How long do I have to listen to Harold Reynolds? Uh... Let me know who the first three picks are....

cmb0252
Is it ok if I started already? Feel like I got caught with my pants down.

It is never too early to start drinking!

Badsmerf
Kinda like how we got Sano from Pitt...they were front runners on him and we got him...similar to how we were in first on Cabrera, but Fla got him.
I'm told it was the same el camino.

Dance with Disco Dan
06-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Somebody feed Aaron Judge.

I guess I've been ignoring what 6'7" 255lbs would actually look like in a room full of normal sized 18 year olds. I hope he doesn't get hungry and start snacking on Frazier.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Not sure how we stole Sano. His agent came to us and asked for 3.15M. Billy Smith said he had to authorize it, but if he got a yes, the agent would agree not to shop it elsewhere... Nothing wrong with that.

3rd Inning Stretch
06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Law says Appel to Astros

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
The Lastros have known they have had the #1 draft pick for 8 months...why do they need to be on the clock? Seriously, it is not like they can trade it.

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 06:08 PM
The Lastros have known they have had the #1 draft pick for 8 months...why do they need to be on the clock? Seriously, it is not like they can trade it.

leverage. They don't want to pay slot.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Here's my dilemma for the day--can I write message board posts with one hand and grade finals with other or will the two get mixed up?

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 06:10 PM
If Houston takes Appel, I see no shot at the big 3.

InfraRen
Appel. Stewart baby.

diehardtwinsfan
Here's my dilemma for the day--can I write message board posts with one hand and grade finals with other or will the two get mixed up?
I hope you don't have any students with the names Gray, Appel, Mark, Jonathan, Stewart, Kris, Khol, etc.

Ncgo4
06-06-2013, 06:12 PM
It's the baseball Astros!

Riverbrian
Wait... It doesn't count... Zelig said it was the first pick of the 2000 player draft.

SpiritofVodkaDave
Why not just take Appel last year.... Lolastros

notoriousgod71
06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Draft over!

Ncgo4
Oh, oh! Could be a normal draft. What the heck?

Joe A. Preusser

Everyone with As! Twins get Grey, Appell, AND Stewert!

J-Dog Dungan
Why not just take Appel last year.... Lolastros
He was threatening to play serious hardball last year with whatever team drafted him, and the Astros didn't feel like doing it.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
One down...two to go.

Badsmerf
Astros growing some balls and actually taking the BPA. Golf claps to them. If they can get Manaea too....

notoriousgod71
I hope Appel goes straight to the Astros.

diehardtwinsfan
so much for draft cast.

Dance with Disco Dan
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Appel signs for. If you believe Jim Callis, he turned down $6 million from them last year, with the leverage to go back for his senior year. Glad it worked out for him.

Joe A. Preusser
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM

He certainly could. Should might be another story.

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
If I was them, he'd be in A+ tomorrow, AA in August, and MLB as a Sept. call-up.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
If I was them, he'd be in A+ tomorrow, AA in August, and MLB as a Sept. call-up.

Would you really want him up at the end of an abysmal season? Might get a few fans pumped up, but it's not going to make a difference and will start his clock early for arbitration (I think...right?)

InfraRen
Cubs going Bryant!

notoriousgod71
I like that the draft is getting bigger but not yet the spectacle of the nfl.

cmb0252
BRYANT!!! Gray is still around!

SpiritofVodkaDave
Come on Rockies! Don't pick Gray! Don't pick Gray!

notoriousgod71
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Uh oh, interesting!

SpiritofVodkaDave
It never will be, college football is a huge sport in itself, people don't watch college baseball at 1/1000th of a clip

Badsmerf
Bryant to CHC! They were banking on Appel falling, almost guarantee it.

Dance with Disco Dan
Bryant a bit of a surprise - they must really see him as a viable 3b or corner outfield because Rizzo is locked in on 1b for several years.

Joe A. Preusser
06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Would you really want him up at the end of an abysmal season? Might get a few fans pumped up, but it's not going to make a difference and will start his clock early for arbitration (I think...right?)

Arbitration clock won't be a problem, and why not put some fans in the seats. Plus, you get to see a very good pitcher with huge upside in your rotation...man I want to see Gibson with the Twins...

PeanutsFromHeaven
I would provide the boy with a bucket of adderall if that's what it takes*

*Note to MLB investigators...just kidding!**

**Note to Gray...not really...

Kobs

That would take people actually knowing who any of these players are and for 99.9% of them to not take 3+ years to play for the major league team.

SydneyTwinsFan
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Any chance Rockies take Stewart? Or Smith? Gray falling to #4 would be amazing

Badsmerf
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
No. It all depends on when they think he'll be ready. If he is going to come up next year anyway, might as well give fans something to get excited about.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-06-2013, 06:23 PM
**** **** **** **** ****ing Rockies

cmb0252
BALLS! There goes Gray...so close.

Joe A. Preusser
Gray. Gray. Gray. Gray. Gray...

PeanutsFromHeaven
If he is going to come up next year anyway, might as well give fans something to get excited about.

Fair enough reason, I genuinely had no dog in that fight...just curious

SydneyTwinsFan
Boo! Gray to Colorado. OK, now take Stewart.

3rd Inning Stretch
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Id prefer Frazier, but its gonna be Stewart

Joe A. Preusser
Alright, a HS pitcher. Bring it on (sweating bullets for the next 3 years...).

cmb0252
Please no McGuire...no wammy...no wammy...NO WAMMY!

Ncgo4
06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Stewart orvFrazier no catchers please, please, please!

Badsmerf
Don't even say that name right meow.

James
Raspberry... Those raspberry-ing rockies.

notoriousgod71
06-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Who does everyone want now? I don't really like any of them. Stewart's motion is horrible and he only throws 93 and could sign to play football.

notoriousgod71
06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Did he really have a losing record? Those stats are not impressive.

Ncgo4
06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Who do we get next?

diehardtwinsfan
Right choice.

PeanutsFromHeaven
I just had a massive message board fail--clearly draft fever has swept the Twins Daily server

In other news, who would like to join me in buying a massive amount of bubble wrap to keep Kohl Stewart safe until he is ready to go to the major leagues?

buckninetyone
06-06-2013, 06:48 PM
stealth work in kohl stewart

cmb0252
Did he really have a losing record? Those stats are not impressive.

His motion is horrible? Only throws 93? Had a losing record? Who are you talking about because it definitely isn't Stewart?

Monkeypaws
I like having some pitching at all levels - hopefully this kid develops and we got ourselves a live one here.

maxisagod
06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Good pick. Lets see what he signs for.

70charger
06-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, the Twins picking Kohl Stewart after the big three are off the board is almost anti-climactic.

Not that I'm displeased, but this was more or less drama free save for the minor Bryant-to-Cubs blip.

cmb0252
Good pick. Lets see what he signs for.

From McDaniels

Comment From Casey
Stewart slot? Stewart under slot? Stewart above slot?

4:37

Kiley McDaniel:
$4.5 million slot...slightly below

Kwak
Let's see if the Twins keep drafting pitchers and take 7 of the first ten selections as they said they would. Hopefully, they take 5 LHP!

Ncgo4
Just hope the Twins can afford to pay him as much as the Aggies will.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
From BA:

4. MINNESOTA TWINS http://cdn.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3ds_twins80.jpg (http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/twins-organization-report-5214/attachment/3ds_twins80/)
PICK VALUE: $4,544,400

KOHL STEWART, RHP, ST. PIUS X HS, HOUSTON (@KohlStewart1 (https://twitter.com/KohlStewart1))
Area Scout: Greg RunserPICK ANALYSIS: Things are still playing out accordingly, as we had Stewart as the top high school arm available. A quarterback recruit to Texas A&M, he is a lock to sign at this high in the draft. The Twins are trying to load up on power arms and Stewart gives them a potential ace.
http://cdn.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kohl-stewart-2013-lg-300x211.jpg (http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2013-draft-top-100-scouting-reports-1-25/attachment/kohl-stewart-2013-lg/)SCOUTING REPORT: A premium football recruit as a quarterback, Stewart passed for 8,803 yards and 87 touchdowns in three high school seasons before committing to play two sports at Texas A&M. It’s unlikely he’ll ever play for the Aggies because he’s the top high school pitcher in the draft. He may not get the No. 1 overall pick buzz of righthanders Jonathan Gray (Oklahoma) and Mark Appel (Stanford), but one scouting director said, “Stewart’s pure stuff is as good as theirs, and he’s more athletic than they are.” Scouts love the 6-foot-3, 190-pounder’s arsenal, athleticism and competitiveness. They say that he has better present stuff than Jameson Taillon did when the Pirates took the suburban Houston righthander No. 2 overall in 2010. Stewart has boosted his fastball from 88-93 mph last summer to 91-96 for much of the spring, though his velocity tails off at times in the later innings. His life and command with his heater make it even more dominating, but his best offering is a power mid-80s slider with tilt. He has improved his curveball and shows feel for his changeup, and he’ll display four above-average big league pitches at times. He has a clean delivery and should get even better once he concentrates solely on baseball. Stewart has been limited at times this spring because of minor shoulder (a carryover from football), hamstring and thumb ailments, but none is a major concern. Neither is his signability, because he’ll get picked early enough to be paid handsomely and teams don’t believe he’ll go to Texas A&M to sit behind reigning Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. Some clubs could shy away from Stewart because he’s a Type 1 diabetic, though Brandon Morrow went fifth overall in 2006 with the same condition. Stewart should go in the same range this June.
WHERE HE FITS: The Twins system is absolutely loaded and he would rank as either the fourth or fifth best prospect in the system.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 06:58 PM
From Law:

4. Minnesota Twins (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/min/minnesota-twins): Kohl Stewart (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/player/_/id/19309/kohl-stewart)| RHP, St. Puis X HS (Houston)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/min.gif

The Twins scouted Stewart hard all year, so this pick shouldn't come as a surprise. Stewart will certainly sign for higher than the league's recommended bonus -- with the threat to play college football as a negotiating tool -- but I would expect Minnesota to get him into their system. He immediately becomes the Twins' best pitching prospect, and with two plus-plus pitches he could be helping a Minnesota rotation that needs all the help it can get in a couple of years.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Fun factoid: Stewart will be graduating from St. Pius X high school

Totally random conjecture based on that: Though we're unsure whether St. Pius X uses a pope-mobile transport to the mound...but if it keeps him healthy for the next few years the Pohlad's might look into one second hand.

Kwak
06-06-2013, 07:04 PM
From Law:

4. Minnesota Twins (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/min/minnesota-twins): Kohl Stewart (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/player/_/id/19309/kohl-stewart)| RHP, St. Puis X HS (Houston)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/min.gif

The Twins scouted Stewart hard all year, so this pick shouldn't come as a surprise. Stewart will certainly sign for higher than the league's recommended bonus -- with the threat to play college football as a negotiating tool -- but I would expect Minnesota to get him into their system. He immediately becomes the Twins' best pitching prospect, and with two plus-plus pitches he could be helping a Minnesota rotation that needs all the help it can get in a couple of years.
Why would the Twins offer above slot? It would take Stewart at least three years before he can be drafted and there isn't enough monetary difference between #4 money and higher slots to take the risk of falling to a lower slot.

PseudoSABR
06-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Given Stewart's interview on the MLB Network, it SURE sounds like he's planning on signing (spoke of how excited he was to play bball year around). He spoke competently and maturely for such a young man; he praised the A&M coach as a great human, as if further to suggest 'all the best' to football.

maxisagod
06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Kohl just got interview on MLB. Seems like a smart kid. Can't wait to see him pitch.

PseudoSABR
06-06-2013, 07:12 PM
McGuire is falling, I wonder if that will push a Ciuffo or Denney to 43...

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
McGuire is falling, I wonder if that will push a Ciuffo or Denny to 43...

Denney at 43=sexy!

30whales
06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Denney at 43=sexy!

Wouldn't that be a very tough sign?

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Talking about draft prospects....Berrios Crushed.

Player
IP
H
R
ER
BB
SO
HR
ERA

Jose Berrios (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=621244)

diehardtwinsfan
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
43 carries a 1.2M bonus... I'd think that dollar amount could still entice a lot of high upside highschoolers.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Wouldn't that be a very tough sign?

Not sure. Haven't heard if he would be or not. He is there at the draft....not like that means anything signing wise.

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Shipley/McGuire falling like rocks.

PseudoSABR
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Shipley/McGuire falling like rocks.
McGuire's underslot signability gave him some inflated helium, but I'm surprised by Shipley falling. I know some people saw him in the top 5.

PseudoSABR
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Good draft for Pitt, with Meadows and McGuire

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:51 PM
These jerks need to hurry up. I'm ready for the Twins to draft again!

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Minnesota kid, Chris Anderson, just went to Dodgers at 18.

70charger
06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
McGuire is falling, I wonder if that will push a Ciuffo or Denney to 43...

Ciuffo's gone.

Twins Twerp
06-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Turns out picks 5-42 is eternity. I wonder if it will come before or after the all-star game #mlbdraftcoveragesuxballs

cmb0252
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Stanek going 29...Crazy! He was once considered a top 5 guy.

SwainZag
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Turns out picks 5-42 is eternity. I wonder if it will come before or after the all-star game #mlbdraftcoveragesuxballs

Stanek falling that far is pretty crazy, too bad he didn't fall another 10 picks, would have been an awesome surprise 2nd rounder.

Einstein
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
The idea of the Yankee's getting compensatory picks kind of sickens me.