PDA

View Full Version : Will Buxton go in the top 30?

amjgt
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
ESPN's annual franchise player draft is happening right now (1 pick every 5 minutes). It's the typical "you're starting a franchise from scratch and everyone is available" thing.

So far we have

1. MIKE TROUT, LF, LAA
JERRY CRASNICK (ESPN.COM)

2. BRYCE HARPER, LF, WAS
DOUG GLANVILLE (BBTN)

3. MANNY MACHADO, 3B, BAL
AARON BOONE (BBTN)

4. BUSTER POSEY, C, SFO
JAYSON STARK (ESPN.COM)

5. CLAYTON KERSHAW, LHP, LAD
MOLLY KNIGHT (ESPN THE MAG)

6. EVAN LONGORIA, 3B, TAM
DAVE CAMERON (ESPN INSIDER)

7. YOENIS CESPEDES, LF, OAK
JIM CAPLE (ESPN.COM)

8. MATT HARVEY, RHP, NYM
TIM KURKJIAN (ESPN THE MAG)

Keith Law picks 30th (last). If Buxton is there, will he take him?

Badsmerf
06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see both Sano and Buxton picked... considering they are in the top 10 prospects in all of baseball. I would have my list full of high upside arms though, so we'll see.

Steve Lein
06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
The comments after Mauer was picked at #27 are cute...:

"extensive injury history" / "how was Yadi not picked before him?"

Red Bull
06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Why would he be in the top 30 again? They arent gonna pick some prospect, maybe Profar but hes in the league. Buxton is only 19 in low A, you cant choose that guy over All stars and top young players that are in the league and performing. Hes got the potential to be the best player in the league but thats potential not a garunteed thing.

amjgt
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Keith Law picked Price with the 30th pick, leaving Buxton in the scrap heap. :)

This brings up an interesting question though....

Assume for a second that Price is signed long term (at a relatively high cost), would you trade Buxton straight up for him?

Red Bull
06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
The comments after Mauer was picked at #27 are cute...:

"extensive injury history" / "how was Yadi not picked before him?"

I dont get how anybody that knows even a little baseball think Yadi is even close to Mauers level? It blows my mind how many people think hes better, its mostly casual fans I guess.

First off Mauer has a better career avg in every single stat category, and most of them arent even close. Second Mauer has had 6 seasons with a WAR over 3, Molina has had 1. They have both played 9 seasons and this year. Every season through the first 8 and this year Mauer had a way higher WAR and OPS. They think just because last year Molina was better that hes better overall. Thats just insane! Out of 9.5 seasons Mauer has been better 8.5 of them, but Molina is better for some reason in their eyes.

amjgt
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Why would he be in the top 30 again? They arent gonna pick some prospect, maybe Profar but hes in the league. Buxton is only 19 in low A, you cant choose that guy over All stars and top young players that are in the league and performing. Hes got the potential to be the best player in the league but thats potential not a garunteed thing.

Bryce Harper went #9 in 2011 (Single A at the time)
Trout went #12 (AA at the time)

Tibs
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Keith Law picked Price with the 30th pick, leaving Buxton in the scrap heap. :)

This brings up an interesting question though....

Assume for a second that Price is signed long term (at a relatively high cost), would you trade Buxton straight up for him?

Personally, I wouldn't even consider that trade. Everything you hear about Buxton is great. I think he is much more valuable since he is a position player that plays every day, instead of a pitcher that plays once every 5 days.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I dont get how anybody that knows even a little baseball think Yadi is even close to Mauers level? It blows my mind how many people think hes better, its mostly casual fans I guess.

First off Mauer has a better career avg in every single stat category, and most of them arent even close. Second Mauer has had 6 seasons with a WAR over 3, Molina has had 1. They have both played 9 seasons and this year. Every season through the first 8 and this year Mauer had a way higher WAR and OPS. They think just because last year Molina was better that hes better overall. Thats just insane! Out of 9.5 seasons Mauer has been better 8.5 of them, but Molina is better for some reason in their eyes.

It was pretty embarrassing to see Nomar Garciaparra put Molina at #2 ahead of Mauer at #3 when ranking the games top 5 catchers. There is no comparison between the two.

TRex
06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Switch the name to Sano, and I would consider it. But Buck has a chance to impact the game in so many different ways.