PDA

View Full Version : Article: Alex Meyer: Missing High

Twins Fan From Afar
05-30-2013, 07:22 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1802-Alex-Meyer-Missing-High-Minnesota-Twins-Pitching-Prospect

Han Joelo
05-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Love the first hand observations coupled with the graphics. Thanks for reporting.

Last night I was reading a resurrected thread here detailing various George Costanza GM's expected haul in a Denard Span trade last summer. Expectations were rather high, and, I think, justifiably so. Span was a great trade chip. Regardless of his stats thus far, I still think the highest praise one can give to Meyer is that he was traded straight up for a starting big league CFer. I hope he hasn't mentally internalized that and put more pressure on himself, but it would be understandable if he had.

I was listening to the John Feinstein interview of Stan Kasten on the radio yesterday, and he retold the story of how the Braves acquired Smoltz for Doyle Alexander. He said they had definitely targeted him for a long time, and it was a long process before the Tigers caved and gave him up. I see the lengthy Twins/Nats Spandance as a similar story. I hope.

Twins Fan From Afar
05-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Good points, and Meyer's view of his importance to the Twins' future very well could be causing additional stress.

rukavina
05-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Having "watched" a bunch of games via MiLB Gameday, it is not at all clear to me that the fx data is accurate. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the pitch location?

Oxtung
05-30-2013, 10:59 PM
There is no pitch f/x system in the minor leagues according to Jack Goins the Twins statistics guru.

Twins Fan From Afar
05-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Having "watched" a bunch of games via MiLB Gameday, it is not at all clear to me that the fx data is accurate. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the pitch location?

Yes. I was there, and the screen shots of these at-bats align with the notes I took during the game.

But your larger point is valid.

diehardtwinsfan
05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
I've kind of wondered how it is that guy who's consistently throwing 60% of his pitches for strikes is walking that many guys. Seems odd. I'm wondering if this is a sudden thing where he loses control, or if he's getting less disciplined hitters to wiff at the high stuff.