PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game Draft Chat Today - 11AM CST

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 09:36 AM
In case anyone wants to submit questions/lurk :D

MLB Draft Chat: May 29 | Perfect Game USA (http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8525)

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Chat got started - I've submitted a couple Twins talkers, so we'll see if they answer. Join in! :th_alc:

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 11:04 AM
They answered one of mine right away:

Comment From Andrew
Twins have been linked a ton to Kohl Stewart in various mock drafts. Is this due to industry knowledge that they like him a lot, or because they "should" take him there?

11:03

Todd Gold:
If I had to guess, I think they'll target a college pitcher, but if they were to target a HS arm then Stewart would be the guy. Since there isn't a college arm that makes a ton of sense at 4 (assuming Gray and Appel are both off the board) you can see a scenario where they'd go after a HS guy instead of someone like Braden Shipley.

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Comment From Andrew
What's the latest buzz on Red Wing OF Ryan Boldt? Thought to be a late 1st rounder before slight knee injury, now possibly slips out. Hearing that?

11:09

David Rawnsley:
Not only does the knee injury (surgery for torn meniscus) hurt him, he didn't play outside all spring before that. He simply hasn't been seen since the fall and that's a long time for a team to go without eyes on a player. I expect him to fall out of the first round but not too far. Someone will bargain hunt in the 30-45 range. That's still $1M+ territory.

I'd love the Twins to take Boldt at 43. I may be biased since I am from Red Wing and played High School football with his brother tho....

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Comment From Bret
Re: Reese McGuire, what your takes on him? I get that the defense can be special, but I haven't heard great things about the bat potential. Would you all agree with that?

11:23

Todd Gold:
No, I like his bat as well. That's what's so special about him, not only is he an elite defender, but he should contribute with the bat as well. Guys like that don't come around all that often.

Even though I don't want him, suppose I better post since it's a chance we take him.... :)

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Comment From Kyle
If you had to guess, what are the chances that the Twins take a position player at #4?

11:42

David Rawnsley:
I would say 50/50 based on the fact that there are 3 pitchers (Shipley, Stewart, Stanek) and 3 hitters (Moran, Frazier, McGuire) that are either at that level or are linked with the Twins. I would lean to the pitcher, though, at this point. Moran actually sounds like he has a lot of Joe Mauer in his offensive approach/results.

Seth Stohs
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
we certainly encourage Twins Daily readers to check out the transcript, and participate by asking questions, here: MLB Draft Chat: May 29 | Perfect Game USA (http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8525)

cmb0252
05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Jim Callis also is doing a draft/prospect chat today at 1:30 ct. Here is the link:

Prospects And Draft Chat With Jim Callis - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/prospects-and-draft-chat-with-jim-callis-4/)

cmb0252
05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
A few more interesting questions from the perfect games chat:

Is it fair to assume #4 is where the draft starts? Or can you see one of the big 3 (Appel, Bryant, Grey) falling past #3?

12:06

David Rawnsley:
If that happens Kyle the Twins are going to be very happy campers.....but I don't see it happening. There is no reason for the Mark Appel song and dance from 2012 to repeat itself.

Out of all the high school arms projectdd to be selected in the supplemental-2nd round which ones have the highest upside? Which ones have the best present "stuff"?

12:28

Todd Gold:
Present stuff: Ian Clarkin. Upside: Devin Williams.

Is Hunter Green a legit target for Twins at 43, or do you think he'll be gone at that point?

12:34

David Rawnsley:
I have to admit that I have less feel for Green than just about any other HS player in the country. When I saw him last summer he was obviously interesting but a LONG way away from being a top round consideration. There are a ton of HS lefties who have similar abilities and it will be a matter of individual preference as to who goes to who in the 20-50 range.....Green could well be there when the Twins pick.

Does Kohl Stewart compare well to Josh Becket when he was drafted?

12:49

David Rawnsley:
They are comparable on draft status and obviously location but Beckett was much more polished at the same age with far more innings under his belt. He didn't compete against HS hitters, he toyed with them. And I did see Beckett many times in HS. Remember, Beckett was almost the only HS RHP ever drafted #1 overall, it was down to the wire between he and Josh Hamilton.

Did you think Clint Frazier is better than Byron Buxton? I know that they are different type player.

12:54

David Rawnsley:
Different players, obviously. Buxton went #2 overall and was in the talk for #1. Frazier will go top 10 unless I'm shocked, but he's not going #2. Ergo.......

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
May as well add in the Jim Callis chat stuff here too:

Jerome (East Grand Forks): What are the odds that the first four picks are Gray, Appel, Bryant and Stewart, in that order.

Jim Callis: That's the most likely scenario as of today. When negotiating comes into play, who knows? But if I could bet a four-pick parlay in Vegas, that would be my call.

Dwayne (Greensburg, PA): Your scouting report on Reese McGuire says the only question on him is how much he will hit. What is the realistic expectations of his hitting abilty down the road?
Jim Callis: He has good bat speed, think he can be at least an average hitter. Which considering the rest of his tools and his position could make him an all-star.

Kevin (Minneapolis): The Twins seemed to benefit from drafting Buxton at slot value last year. Why would they now change their stance and possibly cut a deal with Reese Mcguire instead of drafting the more promising position of need player in Stewart?

Jim Callis: I think that's more Plan B, in case Stewart's signability scared them off. I think they'll take best player available and go for Stewart.

Andrew (Grand Forks): With the top three picks likely being some order of Mark Appel, Jonathan Gray and Kris Bryant it looks like it is a bad year to have the 4th pick. Which players are serious options for the Twins at #4 and who do you see them picking on draft day?

Jim Callis: Wouldn't say that. There is a clear top three, but if I needed pitching like the Twins, I'd be thrilled to get Kohl Stewart (who I believe is their preference) at No. 4. The best pure hitter in the draft (Colin Moran) should be there, too. So will the top high school positions guys (Clint Frazier, Austin Meadows) ... plenty of good options.

mike wants wins
05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
He really likes McGuire, I was just going to post that here.

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Kevin (Minneapolis): Any chance a 2nd round select by his hometown team, the Twins could persuade Ryan Boldt into turning pro or is he set for Nebraska?

Jim Callis: I haven't been able to pin down his signability. The Twins could have some money to play with, because they may not have to use their full $4.5 million at No. 4, and No. 43 is valued at $1.3 million. If they want Boldt, they can pay him.

I reallllly want this to happen. You could consider me dead-from-elation if we went Stewart 4, Boldt 43.

B Richard
05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Is it really possible for the Twins to buck their (historically) conservative draft ideology in favor of drafting a guy like Stewart? I sure hope so. I'd love to have him at #4 but I won't get my hopes up

cmb0252
05-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Is it really possible for the Twins to buck their (historically) conservative draft ideology in favor of drafting a guy like Stewart? I sure hope so. I'd love to have him at #4 but I won't get my hopes up

Only time will tell but A LOT of experts are hearing the Twins love Stewart. Christopher Crawford said he heard the Twin's higher ups are infatuated by him.

From Mr.Callis' chat:

Twins have been linked a ton to Kohl Stewart in various mock drafts. Is this due to industry knowledge that they like him a lot, or because they "should" take him there?

Jim Callis: Both.

markos
05-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for posting all the relevant updates. This is great info.

B Richard
05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah guys thanks for this stuff. I want Stewart desperately but Shipley is a guy I'm pretty intrigued by as well. He has tons of room for development and already has a solid changeup

pioneers3
05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
FYI...on the PG draft, if David Rawnsley is saying something he hears, he is getting it from guys who make decisions in the draft room.

InfraRen
05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for posting all the relevant updates. This is great info.

No prob! I live for drafts - digging up information, discussing it with fellow comrades and obsessing about it. :cool: