PDA

View Full Version : Keith Law's updated top 25 list

cmb0252
05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Today Keith Law released an updated prospect list, only top 25, and the Twins ended up have two in the top 6. Coming in at #2 he had Byron Buxton and at #6 he had Sano. It is behind the money wall but I will post what he has to say about our young studs:

Buxton:
Buxton was the top prospect on my board in last year's amateur draft, and his huge April (.392 BA/.510 OBP/.584 SLG) seemed to justify that ranking in striking fashion. His May hasn't been as torrid, but the raw ability that made him such a commodity out of high school -- 80-grade speed on the 20-80 scouting scale, a very quick bat, a plus arm, the potential for plus-plus defense in center -- is accompanied by more present baseball skill than I realized last spring. He's already 19, so a late-season promotion to high-A wouldn't be too aggressive if he continues to rake.

Sano:
There are so few guys in the minors who project to hit 30 to 35 homers a year -- without some huge caveat such as, "He might strike out 200 times a year" -- that Sano ends up in the top 10 here despite questions about his position (he's still hanging in there at third base) and ultimate size. I don't think he'll be in the majors before late 2014, at the earliest, but the probability of his becoming an above-average big league regular is very high now.

For the full list follow the link below:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9315120/oscar-taveras-st-louis-cardinals-new-no-1-prospect-baseball-mlb

PseudoSABR
05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks, dude!

gunnarthor
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, nice to read.

amjgt
05-28-2013, 12:06 PM
I wonder how far outside the top 25 Law would put Gibson. He was #41 at the start of the year and that was with fairly significant injury concerns still. I would think that he has improved in Law's eyes since then

amjgt
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
For those that can't access the article, Law also did a "also considered" list of 5 more guys. So he has Gibson outside of the top 30

3rd Inning Stretch
05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Surprised Puig and Springer did not make the top 25, and Springer not even the honorable mention.

John Bonnes
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I was hoping we might see Meyer in that list too, but having two guys in the top 6 is almost unheard of. That is outstanding.

cmb0252
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Surprised Puig and Springer did not make the top 25, and Springer not even the honorable mention.

It was interesting neither made it but the whole list is pretty impressive. There have been a ton of break out players this year.

lakeshusker2
05-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Who was #1? Top 5?

maxisagod
05-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Who was #1? Top 5?

Oscar Taveras. His write up is not behind the pay wall.

Seth Stohs
05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I like it. These two are ultra-talented. Buxton has really struggled in May, but he's right, the tools are still there.

Jim Souhan is in Cedar Rapids tonight. Should make for a good story.

I'm hoping to head back down there for the weekend of June 14th. Then I"ll be on the territory train at the end of June. Sign up here: Territory Train (http://territorytrain.com/)

jokin
05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
I like it. These two are ultra-talented. Buxton has really struggled in May, but he's right, the tools are still there.

Jim Souhan is in Cedar Rapids tonight. Should make for a good story.

I'm hoping to head back down there for the weekend of June 14th. Then I"ll be on the territory train at the end of June. Sign up here: Territory Train (http://territorytrain.com/)

Wow. I think this kid is really going to be something when a May performance slash of .272/.367/.456/.823 can be classified as "really struggling." I would posit that May results were inevitable league adjustments, followed by a June where Buxton makes adjustments to the adjustments. Remember the guy is 19 in a league where virtually all of the top pitchers and position players are anywhere from 22-25 years of age.

jokin
05-28-2013, 07:24 PM
FWIW, I was down in CR last weekend. Buck didn't do much, but he still conducted himself and played in a manner at the plate far beyond his years- maybe chased a couple of balls in PAs where the pitchers were giving him nothing to swing at. Defensively, I thought he looked major league ready.

Cap'n Piranha
05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Wow. I think this kid is really going to be something when a May performance slash of .272/.367/.456/.823 can be classified as "really struggling." I would posit that May results were inevitable league adjustments, followed by a June where Buxton makes adjustments to the adjustments. Remember the guy is 19 in a league where virtually all of the top pitchers and position players are anywhere from 22-25 years of age.

I think this is already happening. In his last 10 games, Buxton is .333/.435/.487/.922. 10 of his 13 hits have been singles, suggesting he's taking what the pitchers are giving him. He also has 7 BB's to 5 k's, along with 7 SB's compared to only 1 CS. The MWL All-star game is June 18, so I think we're about 3 weeks away from Buxton heading South.