PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2013 Twins draft picks: College Relief Pitchers

cmb0252
04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
For those who followed the Twins draft last year noticed the Twins trying something different; draft a butt load of hard throwing relief pitchers. Some with the hope to convert them to starters and some with the hope they will just be fast moving arms. The following is a list of arms who fit this bill. Like always, this isn't a complete list but a good place to start.

Corey Knebel, RHP, 6'3" 210lbs, Texas
"The tall right-hander gets it done with a good two-pitch power combination, a fastball that hits the mid-90s and a downer curve with bite that's a true out pitch." Mayo
Best pitch- 65 fastball

Colby Suggs, RHP, 6" 225 lbs, Arkansas
"A bulldog right-hander, Suggs is all power, with a sinking fastball that sits mid-90s and can touch more than that. He complements it with a power breaking ball that can be an out pitch at times. With slightly better command and perhaps a little refinement to his breaking stuff, he has the kind of arm that could close games at the Major League level." Mayo
Best pitch- 65-70 fastball

A.J. Venagas, RHP, 6'3" 215 lbs, Stanford
"The right-hander can sit in the mid-90s easily and was throwing harder than that on the Cape this past summer. He has a slider and started throwing a cutter on the Cape" Mayo
Best pitch- 70+ fastball

Jimmie Sherfy, RHP, 6" 175 lbs, Oregon

This guy can flash a plus fastball and a plus slider, but he needs to flash more consistency and needs to understand that in pro ball, he’ll need to bring his better stuff into games sooner.
Best pitch- 65 fastball

Michael Lorenzen, RHP/Cf, 6'3" 195 lbs, Cal State Fullerton
He has a plus-fastball and potentially plus-slider, a pure relief pitcher, without starter upside, isn't an asset many teams will spend a early pick on. As a hitter, scouts question whether Lorenzen will ever hit enough to showcase his defensive ability on an everyday basis.

Best pitch- 65 fastball

Dan Slania, RHP, 6'5" 275 lbs, Notre Dame
"Slania is just as much about his feel for pitching and advanced approach as he is about raw power. The Notre Dame right-hander opened a lot of eyes in the Cape Cod League last summer with his combination of raw fastball life and command". Frankie Piliere
Best pitch- 65 fastball

Finding good scouting reports for guys who profile as relief pitchers isnt easy but Louisville's Dace Kime is another name to look out for.

diehardtwinsfan
04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Grabbing a few power relievers in the mid rounds isn't a bad strategy... At worst none pan out as starts, but from a floor standpoint, most of these kids can be average to well above average bull pen guys. Those can bring back something nice in a trade, or you just end up with a pen much like the mid-2000's Twins team... Either one is very nice.

cmb0252
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
From Christopher Crawford's chat:

The Twins took a bunch of college relief pitchers last year with the hope to convert some to starters. Can you give us some names that fit that bill? Thank you.

3:23

One that could fit that would be Andrew Mitchell, but he's not going to be around for them to take. Not a real strong relief crop this year.

There is information on Andrew Mitchell in the Potential Second Round College Arms thread.

cmb0252
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Baseball America posted an article today about several relief pitchers including Sherfy and Kind who I mention above. The article also talks about Florida's Daniel Gibson and Cal Poly's Reed Reilly. If you believe the Twins will draft college relief pitchers like last year you should check these guys out. Link below:
Draft Tracker: What A Relief - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/draft-tracker-what-a-relief/)

Here is what they say about Kime.
"He’s the best college pitcher in the state,” an American League scout said. “He’s 93-95 with a wipeout cutter and a curveball—that very good Defiance curve. There’s life on that fastball too. He has the stuff to be a starting pitcher but just hasn’t. That cutter would break bats if he were pitching against wood. If the right guy goes in and sees him on the right day, he could go in the third round.”

Drafting a relief pitcher and converting him to a starting pitcher? If the Twins keep the same plan as last year this might be their guy.

nicksaviking
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Jason Churchill at ESPN wrote about the 2nd tier of college pitchers. I guess he mentions Manea, Stanek and Eads. The article is summed up at MLBTR and it says that Churchill states Manea would likely be the first of the second tier to go (duh) and he could go to the Rockies at #3, the Indians at #5 or the Red Sox at #7.

I'm curious why he does not think he is a possibity for the Twins at #4. Is it due to the team's track record with drafting position players, or does he know something we don't. It's an insider article and I'm not paying ESPN any more than my cable bill dictates so I don't have more info on the piece.

gunnarthor
05-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Jason Churchill at ESPN wrote about the 2nd tier of college pitchers. I guess he mentions Manea, Stanek and Eads. The article is summed up at MLBTR and it says that Churchill states Manea would likely be the first of the second tier to go (duh) and he could go to the Rockies at #3, the Indians at #5 or the Red Sox at #7.

I'm curious why he does not think he is a possibity for the Twins at #4. Is it due to the team's track record with drafting position players, or does he know something we don't. It's an insider article and I'm not paying ESPN any more than my cable bill dictates so I don't have more info on the piece.

The next nugget says (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/05/draft-notes-pirates-astros-mcguire.html)"

There is a wide range of opinions about high school catcher Reese McGuire, who might go anywhere from No. 4 to No. 21, Churchill writes. The Pirates have scouted McGuire heavily and have two picks in that range.

Geez, I guess I don't know enough about McGuire but I sure hope he's not our #4 pick.

nicksaviking
05-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I didn't realize I posted this on the relief pitcher page, perhaps I should move it. Thanks for the additional info. It's puzzling, I hope Churchill is just blowing smoke and guessing.

cmb0252
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm not going to post weekly stats for these guys like in other threads but BA mentioned Dace Kime for the second week in a row so I figured I would pass this on.

"Not to be outdone, righthanderDace Kime—who’s scouting report can be seen in last week’s Draft Tracker (http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/draft-tracker-what-a-relief/)—had a great start on Sunday. In only his eighth career start, the eighth-round pick by the Pirates out of high school gave up one run on three hits over seven innings with two walks and 10 strikeouts. On the season, he is now 4-1, 3.30 with 12 walks and 58 strikeouts over 46 innings."

Guy who was mostly used a RP but has done well in a few starts....does this sound familiar after last year?