PDA

View Full Version : Luke Bard

SouthDakotaTwinsFan
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Luke Bard was selected in the 16th round of the 2009 first year draft by the Boston Red Sox and declined, attending Georgia Tech. In 2012, he was selected in the 1st round (42nd overall) of the June Amateur draft by the Twins. He pitched 7.0 innings for Elizabethton and Gulf Coast Twins in 2012, primarily as a closer, allowing 3 runs, 9 walks and 9 strikeouts.

I'll post more about him as I learn more about him. Elizabethton doesn't begin play until June.

SouthDakotaTwinsFan
07-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Bard has yet to pitch in 2013, due to "shoulder impingement". It sounds like they hope to have him pitching again by the end of the month.

greengoblinrulz
07-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Most thought he was a reach last summer & a year later, he's barely pitched. That pick 'could' be one that is complained about in the years ahead.

diehardtwinsfan
07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Most thought he was a reach last summer & a year later, he's barely pitched. That pick 'could' be one that is complained about in the years ahead.

Yes, the Twins knew he was going to get hurt and picked him anyways in a major reach.

SouthDakotaTwinsFan
08-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Luke Bard pitched in 4 games totaling 3 innings for the Gulf Coast League Twins, earning a 12.0 ERA and a 2.667 WHIP before being promoted to Elizebethton. Since moving up, he's pitched in 2 games for a total of 2 innings and given up 1 run. In six innings of work between the two teams, he has given up 6 runs, 4 walks and struck 1 batter out.

Mr. Brooks
08-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Yes, the Twins knew he was going to get hurt and picked him anyways in a major reach.

Must be the same guy who scouted Alex Wimmers. ;)

Oxtung
08-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Must be the same guy who scouted Alex Wimmers. ;)

And Kyle Gibson. Perhaps he also works internationally and liked Salcedo and Soliman? I bet he's a White Sox employee in disguise!!! :(

nicksaviking
08-15-2013, 11:36 PM

Well to be fair, he was hurt when he was drafted. I was among those not thrilled with the pick, mostly because I was bummed about McCullers going one spot ahead of him (and would have required a large bonus) but there were plenty of other pitchers I wanted a lot more than Bard. Though he was the Twins third overall pick, not much is usually expected from that position.