PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2013 Twins draft picks: Colin Moran & Kris Bryant

cmb0252
04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Colin Moran, 1B/3B, 6'3" 215 lbs, University of North Carolina

Expert take-"North Carolina third baseman Colin Moran has been one of the best performers in Division 1 this year, including a stunning 35/8 BB/K ratio, but faces some skepticism about his swing and his ability to stay at third base in the long term."-Keith Law

Pros- Advanced college bat, great eye, potential to play 3B, high character, long track record of success, good bat speed

Cons- Questions about position, questions about power, swing concerns, fringy runner

Stats -

AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS

Kris Bryant, 3B/1B/RF, 6'5" 220 lbs, university of San Diego

Expert take-" He's the top college bat in this draft, primarily for his power.Bryant sets up with a very wide base and has no stride, just a toe-tap for timing. It's a quiet swing overall, with excellent hip rotation for power, but his bat speed is just average or a tick better and I worry about his contact rates when he's consistently facing guys throwing 90-plus in pro ball. Isaw Bryant as a shortstop in high school but he has outgrown that position and may do the same to third base; I think he'd be fine in right field, as he's reasonably athletic for his size and has plenty of arm for that position."- Keith law

Pros- Advanced college bat, BIG current power, potential to play 3B, long track record of success, great arm

Cons- Questions about position, doesn't have elite bat speed, fringy runner, might hit for low average

Stats-

AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS

Starting this week I will add weekly performances till the draft.
Links:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/mlb_draft/id/9189714/scouting-2013-mlb-draft-prospect-colin-moran

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/mlb_draft/id/9146525/scouting-potential-first-round-picks-andrew-thurman-uc-irvine-kris-bryant-san-diego-mlb-draft

cmb0252
04-19-2013, 04:06 PM
In Keith Laws chat today he was asked about what the marlins might do at #6 and here is how he responded;

Right now, I'd expect the top five to go something like Appel, Gray, Bryant, Manaea, Moran. That would mean the Marlins would have all the prep guys available, plus Shipley, Reese McGuire, Denney, Chris Anderson, and so on. I don't know their specific preferences yet, but Austin Meadows strikes me as someone who fits their profile - athletic HS bat who's also big and physical.

So he sees both Moran and Bryant as real options for the Twins.

gunnarthor
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
If the first three picks are pitchers, I wouldn't be upset if we got Bryant.

cmb0252
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
April 19-21 stats

Moran- 10 AB, 2 H, 3 R, 1 RBI
Bryant- 10 AB, 5 H, 6 R, 3 RBI, 3 HRs

Bryant currently is leading all of college baseball in HRs (20) and Walks (48). His 20 HRs are more than the rest of his team combined. Two teams lead all of college in HRs at 45 which is a little bit over double Bryants HRs alone! Since college baseball made the switch to wood bats HRs have been down but apparently Bryant didn't get the memo.

mike wants wins
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Give me the legit hitter over the HS toolsy guys this time. They need a 1B and DH.....and Bryant has a shot to be very good at either. I know people do not like drafting 1B, as you can move people there, but I want the best hitters.

cmb0252
04-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Don't 100% count Bryant out of playing 3B or RF just yet. While I agree he profiles as a 1B, with some good couching maybe he can get to be serviceable at either 3B or RF. He has an incredibly strong arm and while he isn't the fastest guy he is a lot more athletic than he looks. Heck, people questioned if longo could play 3B before he got drafted and look at him now.

cmb0252
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
From Jim call is chat today:

Jim, who are your personal favorite future impact hitters in this draft class?

Jim Callis: If I can pick one each from high school and college, I'll say Georgia HS outfielder Clint Frazier and San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant.

Moran lasts until pick 9 in June's draft?

Jim Callis: Tough call. I think he goes right around there, could go either way.

cmb0252
04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Christopher Crawford had a chat tonight and said:

What

position do you see Kris Bryant playing?

5:25

I give him every possible chance to play third-base. If that doesn't work out right field, but I am still one who believes he can handle the hot corner.

kab21
04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I think I'm starting to settle on Bryant as my #3 in this class. I would like a pitcher with the 4th pick but grabbing a legit middle of the order RH'd bat would be awesome. Additionally he should could be up in 2014. It would create an interesting situation since the Twins have another defensively challenged potentially elite 3Bman with the same timetable. Has anyone speculated who is better defensively between Bryant and Sano?

mike wants wins
04-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Manaea or Bryant are the picks for me, with the HS pitcher right behind them.

cmb0252
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Manaea or Bryant are the picks for me, with the HS pitcher right behind them.

While prefer Stewart to either Bryant or Manaea, I'm pretty sure it is going to come down to one of the college guys. Most mocks have Manaea but the potential of have Bryant and Sano in the middle of the line up as early as mid 2014 is exciting.

cmb0252
04-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I think I'm starting to settle on Bryant as my #3 in this class. I would like a pitcher with the 4th pick but grabbing a legit middle of the order RH'd bat would be awesome. Additionally he should could be up in 2014. It would create an interesting situation since the Twins have another defensively challenged potentially elite 3Bman with the same timetable. Has anyone speculated who is better defensively between Bryant and Sano?

From what I can tell on the defensive side they are almost the same. Both have huge arms, are more athletic than they look, have good hands, but don't have the footwork or concentration for 3B. While people keep saying they will end up 1B in the future I see RF like a better option..... You know, other than the fact this guy you might have heard named Arcia is out there already.

mike wants wins
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I have re-thought things, and would be good with Bryant or Stewart or Manaea. Really, any of those three would be acceptable to me.

but, they thought of Bryant and Sano in the lineup, with Hicks, Mauer, and Buxton on base in front of them.....that's a nice looking offense if it all plays out.

That said, I want a pitcher if the Twins think one of them is a legit number 2, or even a number 1. But I've never seen any of these guys play, I can only go off what I read on sites.

cmb0252
04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
From Jason Churchill regarding Moran:
North Carolina's Colin Moran, considered by many to be top pure hitter in the class, will face North Carolina State ace Carlos Rodon (95 K's in 60 1/3 IP) this weekend. The left-handed Rodon is the top prospect for next year's draft and presents a tough test for Moran, a left-handed bat. If Rodon stays on schedule with last weekend's rotation, this matchup will take place Saturday. Moran enters the series batting .395/.514/.635 with 10 home runs and an impressive 39-8 BB/K ratio. ESPN3 will carry the game at 6:30 PM ET. That's a big win for draft fans.

I personally don't have ESPN 3 but if any one does, and actually watches the game, let us know how Moran looks!

cmb0252
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
April 26-28 stats

Bryant- 11 AB, 3H, 3 R, 2 RBI, HR (22)
Moran- 9 AB, 2 H, 1 R, 3 RBI, HR (11)

It is worth noting that Bryant face San Francisco State, not exactly a baseball power house, while Moran face NC State, who is a solid team, and had to try to hit Carlos Rodon. For those of you who don't know who Rodon is, he is currently the favorite to go #1 next year and gets some comparisons to David Price.

kab21
04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
From what I can tell on the defensive side they are almost the same. Both have huge arms, are more athletic than they look, have good hands, but don't have the footwork or concentration for 3B. While people keep saying they will end up 1B in the future I see RF like a better option..... You know, other than the fact this guy you might have heard named Arcia is out there already.

I watched some video of Bryant fielding grounders and I got a very different impression. They might have about the same chance of staying at 3B but they seem like very different defensive players. Bryant isn't nearly as big as Sano and I think Sano has more growing to do before the majors. Bryant seems to move well baserunning but he seemed quite stiff fielding grounders. I dunno know why but how he received grounders bothered me also.

A couple of youtube videos - Kris Bryant - 3B - University of San Diego - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Q56yHXvbyI#)!
Kris Bryant, University of San Diego Sophomore INF (vs. Creighton) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ECkfIkS3fDA)

cmb0252
04-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Bryant is a little taller than Sano at 6'5 vs 6'3 but Sano definitely has at least 15 pounds on Bryant. Both have a chance to stay at third but it sounds like most experts have them at RF or 1B. While it would be nice to finally have 3B shored up, these dudes have bats to play any where.

Its impossible not to get a little excited thinking about Bryant/Sano batting 3/4.

kab21
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Bryant is a little taller than Sano at 6'5 vs 6'3 but Sano definitely has at least 15 pounds on Bryant. Both have a chance to stay at third but it sounds like most experts have them at RF or 1B. While it would be nice to finally have 3B shored up, these dudes have bats to play any where.

Its impossible not to get a little excited thinking about Bryant/Sano batting 3/4.

I just don't see any similarities in their defense other than neither is particularly good defensively. Right now I take Bryant at #4 if he's there and force one of Sano, Bryant and possibly Harrison to play there unless Plouffe blows up this year. Despite all of Plouffe's criticisms he is probably better than this trio.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm starting to get the impression that Bryant's bat is going to carry him right to Coors Field. I think I read that he's out-homered 205 Division 1 teams by himself.

Bryant and Sano in the same lineup would make all of the seats in left field the places to be... I think you could make the argument that it would be the most powerful duo in the AL Central... and that's quite a comparison.

kab21
04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
That is the problem with becoming the no doubt #3. I guess the best case is that Manaea finishes the season strong and becomes a good consolation prize or gets taken by the Rockies if their pitching struggles and Arenado plays well.

cmb0252
05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
From Jim Callis' weekly chat:

How high will Colin Moran go in the draft?
Jim Callis: I think somewhere from the No. 6 and No. 10 overall picks.

cmb0252
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
From Christopher crawfords draft chat:

Who ends up at third? Moran, Bryant or neither?

2:52

Both not an option? I think both guys have a shot. The most likely scenario is Bryant's in RF and Moran is at third.

cmb0252
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
UNC was off this weekend so no stats for Moran.

Bryant: 9 AB, 1 Hit, 3 R, 2 RBI, 1 HR, and a handful of walks.
Bryant is leading all of college baseball in walks, HR (23), and OPS. Crawford gave us this little snip it: "a source told me that there's zero chance that he slips out of the top 5, and that Colorado would be "crazy" to not select him with pick No. 3."

AM.
05-10-2013, 04:55 AM
How about Bryant going #1?

cmb0252
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
From Jim Callis at BA:

Is Kris Bryant polished enough to make a Ryan Zimmerman like ascent to the majors?
Jim Callis: Not that quick, because he’s not as polished a defender as Zimmerman was and swings and misses more than Zimmerman did. Bryant won’t need a lot of time in the minors, but I don’t see him up this September.

Brodin4Calder
05-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I really hope the Twins take him. Of course appel or gray would be awesome but thats not gonna happen.

cmb0252
05-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Bryant had a monster weekend. Went 5-6 Sunday with two HRs, total of 3 HR this weekend, had a few more hits Saturday and a handful of walks. This is from Christopher Crawford:

"I think people get so enamored with the power numbers that we forget this kid has some discipline, too," an AL scout said. “I don’t think it’s just a case of him being pitched around either. There’s a lot of swing and miss to his game, but he’s a smart hitter who works counts into his favor. We’ll see if that continues at the pro level, but I’d bet on it.”

Moran also had a good weekend. Had a HR, a double, and 6 walks.

nicksaviking
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I just don't like how Moran profiles offensively as a corner infielder. Sounds like a solid hitter but with limited power potential. I don't want to be a "chicks dig the longball" kind of guy, but If your ceiling is Sean Casey, you better end up being Sean Casey, because if there is very little power potential and the hit tool ends up not paying off, it's a total bust.

cmb0252
05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
From BA on Bryant:
The three home runs give him 28 on the season, so with just two games to go, he could make a serious run at Victor Roache’s BBCOR record of 30. On the season, Bryant is now hitting .346/.506/.880.

cmb0252
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I just don't like how Moran profiles offensively as a corner infielder. Sounds like a solid hitter but with limited power potential. I don't want to be a "chicks dig the longball" kind of guy, but If your ceiling is Sean Casey, you better end up being Sean Casey, because if there is very little power potential and the hit tool ends up not paying off, it's a total bust.

Yeah, I agree. While he has shown better power this year im not sure im buying it fully. I'm not a huge fan of Moran but I understand how teams could take him in the top 10 if you feel he will stick at 3B. Also, he has put up INSANE BB/K numbers. Something like 5/1 which is unheard of.

cmb0252
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Article from Mayo on Bryant:

University of San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant likely top 10 pick in Draft | MLB.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com//news/article.jsp?ymd=20130512&content_id=47315710&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

A nice down to earth quote from Bryant:
" I would be lying if I said I didn't think a lot about the future," Bryant said Saturday, after the Toreros knocked off Portland, 10-2. "For me, it's just about sticking with that routine and not letting the outside factors get to me. When you start letting that get to you, you aren't having fun, and that's what this game is all about."

diehardtwinsfan
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
How about Bryant going #1?

This would surprise me. And it wouldn't keep Col or Chi from passing up on Appel or Gray. Honestly, the only way I see the Twins getting one of those is if Houston can get Stewart for 4M or so and Col remains enamored with Bryant. Otherwise, I think we are getting Manaea or Stewart. Personally, I like both of those guys a lot, though Appel and Gray definitely fit the short term need better.

cmb0252
05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
From Jim callis' chat today:

A lot of talk around here that Bryant will be the pick over one of the big arms. The idea of Correa, Bryant, Singleton, and Springer is exciting, but would that be a mistake?

Jim Callis: I wouldn't call it a mistake. But as hard as it is to find frontline starting pitching, I wouldn't pass on Appel and Gray.

Can you describe what kind of player Moran is if he only reaches a decent floor and what kind of player he could be if he reaches a reasonable ceiling? Would you project him similarly to a less defensive Rendon?

Jim Callis: Decent floor would be a .270/10 HR first baseman, reasonable ceiling would be a .300/20 HR third baseman. Less defensive Rendon isn't a bad call, but also less power too.