PDA

View Full Version : Adam Brett Walker, 3rd round 2012 draft

TRex
04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Drafted in the 3rd round (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/index2.php?srch=pc-byYearRound&year=2012&round=3&type=junreg) (97th overall) (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/index2.php?srch=pc-byOverall&oaPick=97&type=junreg) by the Minnesota Twins (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/index2.php?srch=pc-byTeamYear&year=2012&team=1023&type=junreg) in 2012 (signed for $490,400)

MiLB site: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=608724

Adam Walker 38 | RF
http://www.milb.com/images/spacer.gif
Cedar Rapids Kernels (http://www.milb.com/clubs/index.jsp?cid=t492)
Class A Midwest League (http://www.milb.com/leagues/index.jsp?lid=l118)
MLB Parent Club: Minnesota (http://mlb.mlb.com/minors/milb_redirector.jsp?cid=t142)

Stats
AVG:
.286HR:
3RBI:
15SB:
Bookmark Player
Full Name: Adam Walker
Born: 10/18/1991
Birthplace: Milwaukee, WI
College: Jacksonville
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 225
Bats: R
Throws: R

TRex
04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Here are some pertinent (and excellent) posts from last year's Adam Walker adopt-a-prospect page:

alarp33:

Adam Walker

Pos: 1B/LF

Ht./Wt.: 6'5"/ 225lbs

B/T: R/R

Drafted: 2012 - 97th overall out of Jacksonville University

Junior Season: Hit .343 w/ a .426 OBP, 14 doubles, 12 home runs and surprisingly for a guy his size 19 stolen bases

From MLB Scouting Report:

The son of a former NFL running back, Walker looks the part of a future slugger. The question is if he has the baseball skills to get there. There's no question about his pop at the plate. He might have as much raw power as anyone in the Draft class, with some scouts giving him an 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He also has a very good approach to hitting, though his hitting instincts lag behind. That leaves some wondering if he'll learn to tap into that power consistently enough against advanced pitching. A big, physical specimen, Walker has played both first base and the outfield. His arm is well below average, and while some think he could handle playing left field, his defensive home is up in the air. He draws comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, both in body type and power potential, but there is some concern that he's a Ferrari with a VW engine.

Will begin his Professional career in Elizabethton

lightfoot789: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=l120 (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120918&content_id=38611162&vkey=news_l120&fext=.jsp&sid=l120)

MILB Top Offensive Player in the Post Season for Appalachian League
Seemed to figure it out at the right time.
Appalachian League
Adam Walker (http://www.twinsdaily.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=608724), Elizabethton
(.375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB)
After a slow start, Walker finished the regular season tied for the league lead with 14 home runs. He didn't let up in the playoffs, going deep three more times (and swiping three bases, one shy of his regular-season total) and driving in seven runs in the E-Twins' run to the title. A third-round pick in the 2012 Draft, Walker had hits in each of Elizabethton's six games and fell a triple shy of the cycle in its playoff opener, a 4-0 win at Danville.

Seth Stohs
04-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Walker was pretty impressive when I saw him in Cedar Rapids. He did a very nice job in the press conference. Watching him take batting practice is quite the spectacle. He has as much power potential as Miguel Sano. He is so strong. Like many, he'll have to improve his breaking ball recognition. It'll be interesting to see how many homers he can hit this year.

lightfoot789
04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Great game for Adam Brett Walker. 1 Triple and a HR that was crushed according to announcer. Kernels win another one 8-4. He is starting to find his groove during the last 10 games. Hitting over .333 during that span (10 games).

Seth Stohs
04-26-2013, 01:27 AM
On Thursday night, Walker hit his third double and his third home run and drove in four runs.

TRex
04-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Adam Walker may just be a slow starter...

After signing in 2012, his first 30 games in E-town resulted in a not-quite terrible line of (data thanks to GGR):
30/122 4D/2T/4HR 24RBI 43K 8BB .245/.292/.409

However, from that point on he HIT his stride:
28/110 3D/2T/10HR 21RBI 33K 11W for a triple/slash of .254/.322/.590

As you can see, the power was up and he showed improved plate discipline (although it was still not good).

Finally, as noted above, Walker's hot streak continued into the post-season where he batted
.375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB and was named the MVP.

Similarly, while his first 7 games in the MWL resulted in an unimpressive line of:
5/25 with 2D and no T or HR .200/.259/.259

he has been on fire for his last 10 games, at:
13/38 with 1D/1T/3HR .342/.390/.658

He is not on any of the leader boards thus far (4/26), but if will be soon if he keeps up this hot streak!

lightfoot789
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Finally, as noted above, Walker's hot streak continued into the post-season where he batted
.375/.483/.792, 6 G, 9-for-24, 1 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 3 SB and was named the MVP.
TRex

The ball just jumps off this kids bat. He's my sleeper prospect in this system. AND All the kid does is win!!
GLSCL - Licking County Settlers (Champions / 1st time ever) in 2010
Cape Cod - Hyanis Harbor Hawks (Champions / 1st time in 20+ years) in 2011
Appalachain League (MILB) - Elizabethton Twins (Champions) in 2012

He has won a championship in each of the last 3 summer seasons. He was the Top player in 2 of the 3 championships as well. Everyone wants to know if he will be able to figure it out? I'm betting on his record!! Adam Brett Walker = Winner

Oh yeah - the Kernels are in first place this season (2013) too :) --- just saying...........

lightfoot789
04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
2 HRs and 7 RBI yesterday for Walker and a replay of 2012 Elizabethton Championship game tonight --- Walker hits a game tying 3 Run HR in the bottom of the 9th and this time Travis Harrison hit the Grand Slam for the Walk Off in the 11th. UnReal !!!

lightfoot789
04-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Sano Stats over last 10 games:
BA .289 / 38 AB / 11 R / 11 H / 1 2B / 0 3B / 5 HR / 11 RBI /
4 BB / 13 SO / .357 OBP / .711 SLUG

Walker Stats over last 10 games:
BA .385 / 39 AB / 12 R / 15 H / 1 2B / 1 3B / 5 HR / 18 RBI /
5 BB / 10 SO / .467 OBP / .846 SLUG

That's alot of production in the power category - I'll take Sano 9 times out of 10, but Walker should get the edge this week for Twins Minor League player of the week. I'm just saying............. Aint that right TRex :)

greengoblinrulz
04-28-2013, 12:08 AM
I was pimping Walker all last season & even argued that he should have been a top 10 prospect (was for me) & he is showing this year that he is for real. His time in Iowa SHOULD be short lived!!

kab21
04-28-2013, 01:22 AM
I was pimping Walker all last season & even argued that he should have been a top 10 prospect (was for me) & he is showing this year that he is for real. His time in Iowa SHOULD be short lived!!

It's a nice start but Walker shouldn't have been top ten based on a college player beating up on rk ball pitchers. He also posted a 30% K rate against them.

So far this year he's looking awesome but he should move up because he's a college player in low A ball. This brings up another issue. Do you promote Walker or Buxton first?

lightfoot789
04-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Walker was one of the youngest college players in the draft last year, so I wouldn't be in a rush to promote him. The average age for the MWL is 21 anyway. He won't be 21 until after instructionals / Fall ball. Besides its a long season. I believe he can keep it up, but we will see?

drivlikejehu
04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
He's 21 1/2, which is a little old for a prospect in low A ball. Hopefully he keeps playing well and gets to Fort Myers.

Seth Stohs
04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Just so people have them:

Adam Walker is about 21.5 years old...

The average age of a Midwest League Hitter is 21.3 years old...
The average age of a Midwest League Pitcher is 21.9 years old...

The average age of a Florida State League Hitter is 22.8 years old...
The average age of a Florida State League Pitcher is 23.2 years old...

greengoblinrulz
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
so.....do you/Twins promote due to age (ridiculous IMO) or due to production at the level you're at. Not saying promote him tomorrow, but he's in line with another solid month for June 1st. Love to see how his power translates to pitcher friendly FSL but also playing with Sano (protecting him in lineup).

kab21
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry that I offended some.

The biggest reason that there is no way he should have been in anyone's Twins top ten was that he struck 30% of the time last year and posted a .250BA with a .310 OBP. He's interesting because he has massive raw power but that only goes so far.

There is age and there is baseball experience. Walker played 3 yrs of college ball. It wasn't a major conference but it's still 3 yrs of college ball and he's up against guys that came out of HS/int'l prospects and played maybe a year of rk ball and appy league ball.

Additionally there is prospect age and league filler age. If you compare Walker to the other Twins prospects he is typically 1-2 yrs older than them. One of them that is close is Niko Goodrum but Goodrum was regarded as a really raw prospect out of the draft.

lightfoot789
04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
kab21 - I agree that Walker is not worthy of Top 10 Prospect status. I also don't care if a prospect makes his MLB debut at 23 or 25 years old. However long it takes to get the job done once you arrive. If I asked you to tell me the debut age for Albert Pujols; Josh Hamilton; Prince Fielder; Ryan Braun; or Tori Hunter; - could you without looking it up? Some maybe, but probably not, because all that matters is that you produce once you get there. If Walker spent each year in his respective levels - he would be only 25 in his debut. Most 25 year olds should be able to play at least 7-10 more years at a productive level. My point is "age only becomes an issue - when it becomes an issue" Profound I know :) - All that matters is working at being the best at each level you arrive at (A-A+-AA-AAA-MLB). If you do that regardless of age - You will be productive and fans should / will forget about age.

lightfoot789
04-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Production wins championships & make up

Seth Stohs
04-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Age to level-of-competition is certainly a piece of the Prospect equation and it should be. However, I do think that people make a little bit too big of a deal of it, especially with first or second year players. Walker is right where he is and ight where he should be at this stage.

What happens in Elizabethton has a lot to do with things that aren't necessarily baseball related. It's about adjusting to pro ball, the wood bat, etc., but it's also about having their first official job of their career and such. It's a good place for even the college guys.

Walker will move up if he keeps performing. He's playing 19 games in Low A. He wasn't very good the first 10 or so. He's been tremendous the last 5-8 or so. Let's let him sustain that for a little while. He'll likely be promoted at the All Star break at which he'll be like 21.7.

Age is a piece, but it's not one to worry about when you're less than 22 or 23.

kab21
04-28-2013, 01:10 PM
MLB debut age is not the debate here. Walker has played against more experienced competition for longer than the guys that he is competing against. College players are pretty much expected to do well in rk ball, short season ball and also to an extent in A ball.

kab21
04-28-2013, 01:12 PM
I also have no problem with Walker starting last year in the appy league or in CR this year. I'm just not going to get really excited about the numbers that he's putting up. Although he's really hot right now.

Seth Stohs
04-28-2013, 01:14 PM
kab21 - I agree that Walker is not worthy of Top 10 Prospect status. I also don't care if a prospect makes his MLB debut at 23 or 25 years old. However long it takes to get the job done once you arrive. If I asked you to tell me the debut age for Albert Pujols; Josh Hamilton; Prince Fielder; Ryan Braun; or Tori Hunter; - could you without looking it up? Some maybe, but probably not, because all that matters is that you produce once you get there. If Walker spent each year in his respective levels - he would be only 25 in his debut. Most 25 year olds should be able to play at least 7-10 more years at a productive level. My point is "age only becomes an issue - when it becomes an issue" Profound I know :) - All that matters is working at being the best at each level you arrive at (A-A+-AA-AAA-MLB). If you do that regardless of age - You will be productive and fans should / will forget about age.

Very well stated, and Walker is not a Top 10 guy for me either... yet. As someone with the Twins once told me, their job is not to get them to the big leagues quickly. It's for them to be ready and prepared when they get there.

I too could care less if a guy debuts as a 22 year old or a 25 years old. I find it funny when people say that Dozier was old for his level of competition but he debuted in the big leagues at 24. Kyle Gibson will likely be 25 and that's only because Tommy John delayed his debut by about 2 years. Now, Hall of Famers may make it when they're 20 or 21 or so, but Jamey Carroll made it to the big leagues when he was 28 and has been around for 12 years.

Mauer made it at 20... he's a Hall of Famer. Arcia made it at 21. I hope Colabello makes it at 29!

ashburyjohn
04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
He wasn't very good the first 10 or so. He's been tremendous the last 5-8 or so. Let's let him sustain that for a little while.

Has he been channeling Aaron Hicks? :)

I'm with you on the age thing. Give any player a season or maybe even two to mess up and learn from; coaches' input, more than stats, should rule. Around season three, comparing batting stats and age and league level starts to matter. By age 26 or so, no more scholarships - either he produces or he's gone. For college players making the transition to pros, this gives a short window. For high school age guys coming in, there's a very long period where it may not be clear whether he is worth a 40-man spot or not.

greengoblinrulz
04-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Remembering back, when I said top 10....I think I had him10/11 before we got Meyer/May, so I stand by top 15. I wish they would push some draftees more in their draft yr, but ELIZ was fine. MN tends to handle college guys as slowly as HS draftees, when they are separate types of players as far as maturity. As streaky as he is, he needs maybe another month to prove this week isn't a fluke.....but guys with MUCH less numbers get promoted. Im not saying rush a prospect, but when a guy has shown he can easily handle a level...get him promoted rather than goin by age/level/etc rather than waiting for a guy to fail to justify your decision to wait a full season.

drivlikejehu
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Walker lasted until the third round because he has significant vulnerabilities in his approach/swing. His power has never been in question. There's nothing wrong with where the Twins have assigned him (and I liked the pick a lot) - it just means that his numbers have to be taken in context.

jokin
04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Walker lasted until the third round because he has significant vulnerabilities in his approach/swing. His power has never been in question. There's nothing wrong with where the Twins have assigned him (and I liked the pick a lot) - it just means that his numbers have to be taken in context.

So did David Ortiz. Walker is the same height and frame, I hope they give him every chance to rise through the minors, his RH bat might be a good fit at DH in Target Field.

lightfoot789
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
So did David Ortiz. Walker is the same height and frame, I hope they give him every chance to rise through the minors, his RH bat might be a good fit at DH in Target Field.

No Doubt, but I think he has a little more versatility than Ortiz. A better athlete and better looking speciman at same age. As far as levels and expectations (That's up to management - not fans)

Most people evaluate players - By production and consistency. Success in the minors is about dominating your currrent level and improving in areas your organization expects you to. Walker has cut down his strike out rate to 22% as of todays game. Last year he was at 33%. The kid deserves credit for that (for now). His average has also improved by 40+ points in the process. It's all about development and he seems to be working in right direction.

jokin
04-28-2013, 10:26 PM
No Doubt, but I think he has a little more versatility than Ortiz. A better athlete and better looking speciman at same age. As far as levels and expectations (That's up to management - not fans)

Most people evaluate players - By production and consistency. Success in the minors is about dominating your currrent level and improving in areas your organization expects you to. Walker has cut down his strike out rate to 22% as of todays game. Last year he was at 33%. The kid deserves credit for that (for now). His average has also improved by 40+ points in the process. It's all about development and he seems to be working in right direction.

I was going to say "and a better athlete" (at least by my eye test), but I thought it might end up in online dispute. I'll go with your assessment, but I'm not sure yet about how versatile he might end up being. Regardless, excellent point about opportunities for improvement- a 22% K rate for a power-hitting DH would be more than acceptable (Ortiz's career K rate is 18.1%)

TRex
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
I understand they may be the same size, and you are looking at a 'best case scenario; but I don't think you can say that Ortiz had Walker's 'significant vulnerabilities in his swing'. Ortiz hit .332 with an OBP of .403 as a 19 year old in rookie ball and at 20 hit .322 with an OBP of .390 in the MWL.

TRex
04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
DOH! I lost my update on Walker last night... the highlights included the following points:

1) I agree that Walker should be the Twin's ML hitter of the week.
2) In 5 games during the week of 4/21 to 4/27, he was 9/22 with 1D, 1T, 5HR and 16RBI (.409/.480/1.227; OPS 1.707!).
3) He walked 3 times and struck out only 4 times.His torrid week has rocketed him to the top of the MWL in HR and RBI (as of 4/28).
4) His strikeout rate for the season is now <20% (19.2%), which is more than acceptable.

cmb0252
04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
From baseball America's daily prospect round up regarding Mr.Walker:
Minnesota has the best position prospect duo in baseball (Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton) off to scorching starts, but the Twins are getting plenty of early production elsewhere in the farm system too. Walker, a third-round pick last year out of Jacksonville, homered in four straight days—including a two-homer game on Friday—before his streak ended yesterday. Walker, who led the Rookie-level Appalachian League with 14 home runs in 58 games last year, is hitting .297/.373/.608 in 20 low Class A Midwest League games this season. The most impressive part of what Walker’s done so far isn’t just showing that he can hit the ball a long way—we already knew he had outstanding raw power—it’s that he’s shown the aptitude to make adjustments to get to his power in games with greater frequency.

Link below:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/monday-prospect-notebook-anthony-ranaudos-resurgence/

Oldgoat_MN
04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
It's a nice start but Walker shouldn't have been top ten based on a college player beating up on rk ball pitchers. He also posted a 30% K rate against them.

So far this year he's looking awesome but he should move up because he's a college player in low A ball. This brings up another issue. Do you promote Walker or Buxton first?

Buxton

cmathewson
04-29-2013, 03:04 PM
This comes up every time the Twins draft a college player, with a few exceptions (e.g Levi Michael, Chuck Knoblauch). The Twins start college position players in the Appy League. They typically go from there to the MWL. If they dominate, the go to the FSL that year. Most don't go there until their third years. So they are old for every level they play in. Their projections should not be that greatly affected by their age/level pairings.

Also, college ball is not uniform. If you play for Jacksonville College, you will not have played against top competition. If you play for Miami, you will have. I recall the knock on Danny Valencia was he followed the standard Twins progression, but he came from a major college. Walker played in a lesser conference.

lightfoot789
04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
He was the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) District Player of the Year Award in 2011. He won over college players from the following states: District III: Kentucky, Tennessee,Mississippi, Alabama, and yes Florida; The writers must have thought enough of his performance to warrant his play, Big Time.

It is true that he played in a lesser conference, but he did play the Florida States 5 games(.400+ BA with 2 HRs and 4 Doubles) and Floridas 3 games (defeated them when they were number #1 in country) and numerous other ranked teams, to name a few. The question is how did he do against Top competition. He did well become a Semi Finalist for the Golden Spike and Howser Award. Just glad the Twins took a chance on him and could see the upside. I'm a believer :) - Dude performs his best against the best..........:

Baseball America | Blog | Baseball America Draft Blog | Stats For Top 200 College Hitters On Friday Nights (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/05/stats-for-top-200-college-hitters-on-friday-nights/)

Seth Stohs
04-30-2013, 02:52 AM
Likely no surprise, but Walker was named the Midwest League Player of the Week for his past week's performance.

cmb0252
05-07-2013, 09:06 AM
From BA's weekly Ask BA article on walker:

The Twins have the minors’ best power prospect in third baseman Miguel Sano, who led the low Class A Midwest League with 28 homers last year and already has slugged 10 this year in 29 games in high Class A. He might not be the best overall prospect in their system, however. That honor may belong to Buxton, BA’s top-rated player in the 2012 draft.
While Buxton should have at least plus power, he doesn’t have as much raw juice as Walker, Minnesota’s third-round pick last June. In fact, Twins scouts thought Walker had the best raw power in the entire 2012 draft. He helped back that belief by smashing 14 homers at Rookie-level Elizabethton in his pro debut last summer.
Walker has hit six more longballs in the MWL, where he’s batting .288/.351/.558. He might have been a first-round pick if not for his tendency to pile up strikeouts, but he has cut down his whiffs from one every three at-bats last year to one every four in 2013. He has solid speed and a fringy arm, though ultimately it’s his bat that will determine his future.

Link below:

Ask BA: How Do Draft's Top Bats Stack Up? - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ask-ba-how-do-2013-drafts-top-bats-stack-up/)

TRex
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Another blurb about Walker from BA, this time from Tuesday's prospect notebook:
Tuesday Prospect Notebook: Matt Davidson Gets Back On Track - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/tuesday-prospect-notebook-4/)

Adam Brett Walker, rf, Twins. Walker’s power made him a third-round pick in last year’s draft, and the 21-year-old hasn’t disappointed in taking on the hostile environs of the low Class A Midwest League. The Cedar Rapids right fielder homered for the seventh time in 28 games last night, moving him into a tie for the MWL lead. The rest of his game is less refined, but after a slow start, he’s managed to hit .338/.400/.688 over his last 77 at-bats. He’s hitting .303/.361/.596 on the season overall and leads the MWL in RBIs (32).

lightfoot789
05-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Adam Brett Walker II - Leads the Kernels & Midwest League in Home Runs (7) & RBIs (33). But did you know that he leads the Kernels in Triples (4) and is 2nd in the Midwest League in Triples as well. A Complete Athlete!! Also batting .314 as of May 10th.
31 Games: 7 HRs / 4 Triples / 8 Doubles / 33 RBI - If you multilpy for full season (x4) ....
124 Games: 28 HRs / 16 Triples / 32 Doubles / 132 RBI - Now thats a season!
Keep Grinding Kid

TRex
05-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I think one of my favorite things about Walker is that he is that he is a stat-sheet filler.

He is not just an all-or-nothing type hitter. He has only 1 HR in 9 May games, but has still managed to generate a triple slash of .349/.364/.628 by hitting 5D and 4T. He also was successful in 3SB attempts. The only negative is that he did not have a single walk... but if you are hitting .350 I say 'grip it and rip it'!

greengoblinrulz
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
After Adams mothers day of 4-7 w/2doubles 2HR 7 rbi.....he sits at
.321 (12th in MWL)/.369/.664(1st in MWL--Buxton only other over .600) for 4th in OPS w/1.033.
He leads lg w/9HR & 40RBI , 7th w/10 doubles, 2nd w/4 triples, tied for 2nd w/26runs scored BUT only tied for 20th in Ks w/31(3rd on team)
Still stunned that when Ft Myers needed an extra OF, they called up his U of Jax teammate Jonathon Murphy (19th round last yr) from EST. Murphy struggled in GCL last yr but jumped over ELIZ/MWL to go directly to Ft Myers.
He has played well but this makes NO sense, as many will say Walker isnt ready, but Murphy is???
Nothing left for Walker to prove at low A....no need to wait till All Star Gm to appease fans in Iowa.

maxisagod
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Murphy struggled in GCL last yr but jumped over ELIZ/MWL to go directly to Ft Myers.
He has played well but this makes NO sense, as many will say Walker isnt ready, but Murphy is???.

Murphy isn't really a prospect. He was already in Florida (no airfare, no logging concerns) and it's only for a short time, not a full time placement. The Twins like Walker, once they promote him they're not sending him back. They want it to feel like a job promotion, not filling in for someone while their gone, that you hire a temp for.

goliath
05-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Maybe when Max Kepler is healthy enough to play in CR, Walker will move up.
BTW, any update on Kepler?

greengoblinrulz
05-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Make no mistake, I absolutely get why they did Murphy.....they are a very cheap organization who fret about airfare/short term team charges. Same reason that Hicks/Arcia didnt get callups in Sept with roster spots open.
They arent willing to give a real prospect a promotion untill they deem they've payed their dues or reached a certain age (not by actually doin their job). They were afraid Walker will handle Ft Myers before their 'planned' date has arrived.

maxisagod
05-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Make no mistake, I absolutely get why they did Murphy.....they are a very cheap organization who fret about airfare/short term team charges. Same reason that Hicks/Arcia didnt get callups in Sept with roster spots open.
They arent willing to give a real prospect a promotion untill they deem they've payed their dues or reached a certain age (not by actually doin their job). They were afraid Walker will handle Ft Myers before their 'planned' date has arrived.

Could be. To be honest I have no idea how someone organizes a business with 7 offices over 6 cities where everyone wants to be transfered to one city but not to the other. Where you need to fire 40 guys a year only to replace them with 40 more right away. Where you need to make arraignments in cities like Cedar Rapids for people to stay in other peoples homes. Or how to deal with top performing employees who start showing promise. How long do you wait? How does demoting someone play with their brain? I'm glad it's not my job. if I worked somewhere like this, I'd just like to know that the company had a plan, what that plan was, and what I can do to make sure I'm part of their plans. I think Walker is doing his job telling the Twins to make him a part of their plans. And the Twins are paying attention.

Seth Stohs
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM

This is pretty ridiculous ovreall, but for some reason, I'm still going to respond. Prospects are the ones that HAVE TO be handled appropriately ,and that's all that matters. Walker was a third round pick LAST YEAR. Obviously they like him a lot. Murphy was in Ft. Myers. He'll be up with the Miracle for maybe a week. No reason to uproot Walker for that time span. Walker will move quickly. He's been good now for almost a month. A couple more weeks and he'll be up, I would think. At latest, it's after the All Star game in mid-June, which is just fine too.

lightfoot789
05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I agree with Seth. No rush and he needs to just stay consistent until it's time. My question is who will they move throughout system? Especially with the draft approaching prior to all star games. How many drafted position players will shift the balance of the minor league system?

Seth Stohs
05-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Adam Brett Walker named MWL Player of the Week | Cedar Rapids Kernels News (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130513&content_id=47407150&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t492&sid=t492)

Adam Walker was named the Midwest League Hitter of the Week for the 2nd time this season.

ericchri
05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Remember that time long ago when it seemed the Twins outfield was going to be too crowded, so they traded away a couple of their major league starters to start making room?

Buxton, Arcia, Hicks (fingers crossed he finds his game again), Kepler, now Walker staking a claim. I think if I was an outfielder I didn't just name in the Twins system I'd be tempted to do something stupid to try and get the Twins to waive/trade me so I could try somebody else's system to have a chance.

His bat is obviously rocking at the moment, but what does Walker look like defensively?

amjgt
05-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Tell me I am not the only one that assumed Adam Brett Walker II was a 6'4" white guy.

I've heard comments, probably on here, but maybe somewhere else about how it might be difficult for him to keep weight off with his size and build. Could he be a 2015/16 potential solution at 1B?

Seems like he could be a prototypical modern 1B. Masher. OK Average. K rate a little higher than you'd like.

TRex
05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I might have missed the blurb about him keeping the weight off...

The comparison I have always heard is that he is built like a linebacker. I was going to comment that the still photos and videos I have seen make it look like his man-muscles hadn't even filled in yet, and can you imagine how much power he will have when that happens!

So perhaps it is time to appeal to anyone with firsthand knowledge to describe Mr. Walker's build.

kab21
05-14-2013, 12:45 PM
He will be a big guy but I'm not sure 1B is in his future. It's not difficult to move from the IF to the OF but usually guys that end up in the IF (even 1B) moved from other IF positions. Fielding grounders isn't something that you just pick up if you haven't been regularly doing this for several years.

lightfoot789
05-14-2013, 10:24 PM
For those of you who didn't know - Adam Brett Walker II was a 2nd Team All American at 1B in several (4+) major publications (including Baseball America). I believe he is destined for RF in his early career, but I have no doubt he could play 1B later on in his career. BTW - He hit his 10th HR (Grand Slam) today and now has 44 RBI in 35 Games. And he is buildt like a LB. Not worried about weight issues for some years.

Walker receives first team All-America honors from Perfect Game USA - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site (http://www.judolphins.com/baseball/news/222/15653/)

greengoblinrulz
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
This is pretty ridiculous ovreall, but for some reason, I'm still going to respond. Prospects are the ones that HAVE TO be handled appropriately ,and that's all that matters. Walker was a third round pick LAST YEAR. Obviously they like him a lot. Murphy was in Ft. Myers. He'll be up with the Miracle for maybe a week. No reason to uproot Walker for that time span. Walker will move quickly. He's been good now for almost a month. A couple more weeks and he'll be up, I would think. At latest, it's after the All Star game in mid-June, which is just fine too.
Seth & I disagree on this constantly. Twins admit themselves, they are one of the more conservative teams in moving players thru the system & that drives me crazy. Seth agrees with it & they've had a solid 10 yr run doin it their way. Im not saying rush guys at all, but the 'paint by numbers' approach frustrates me to no end.
One thing that has come out the past 3 yrs or so is MN is showing that once a hitter reaches AA & produces, that's all the farther a player needs to go. Pitchers are a different story & thats fine. Knowing that, its not as difficult to move thru the system.
I dont care who disagrees, the reason for keeping Arcia/Hicks away last Sept was money/arbitration/service time driven. If both are up for good (Arcia is IMO/Hicks??), bein up last Sept wouldnt change anything as Arcia is on track for a full season of service time( how it was explained on MLB tv anyways) , even tho he played 9 gms in AAA. Wasted a month of experience that went to Matt Carson.

TRex
05-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Well, as long as you don't care who disagrees I guess the case is closed... good thing we don't have to waste any more space arguing with you!

amjgt
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
For those of you who didn't know - Adam Brett Walker II was a 2nd Team All American at 1B in several (4+) major publications (including Baseball America). I believe he is destined for RF in his early career, but I have no doubt he could play 1B later on in his career. BTW - He hit his 10th HR (Grand Slam) today and now has 44 RBI in 35 Games. And he is buildt like a LB. Not worried about weight issues for some years.

Walker receives first team All-America honors from Perfect Game USA - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site (http://www.judolphins.com/baseball/news/222/15653/)

Good info. Thanks.

lightfoot789
05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I like this kid more and more each time. The future is bright.

Adam Brett Walker II - Minneapolis TV News Interview
Byron Buxton's Promising, But Don't Forget Adam Brett Walker | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen (http://screen.yahoo.com/byron-buxtons-promising-dont-forget-233800452.html)

What a great CR team - all around.

TRex
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
After putting up one of the hottest 10-game stretches in recent memory, AB Walker has come back down to earth. In his last 10 games, his triple-slash was just .129/.200/.226, with just a single extra-base hit (HR), and a K-rate of >35%... not all that unusual for a slugger coming off a power binge.

After playing 43 games (161 AB), he is still hitting .284/.335/.580, and leads the league in HR (10) and RBI (45) and is second in total bases (92) to teammate Byron Buxton.

Mr. Ed
07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
2 HRs in todays game(7-15), now 18 HRs/79 rbis. 5 HRs in past 6 games.

TRex
07-16-2013, 12:40 PM
June was a down month for Walker, and he managed an OPS of 'only' .722. However, he did steal 4 bases and got his SO rate back down below 25%.

Now Walker is on another streak... Over his last 14 games (covering July), his triple-slash is .314/.362/.725. He has hit 2D and 6 HR in that time and has already driven in 19 runs.

For the season, Walker is hitting .282/.332/.540, with 20D, 5T, and 18 HR. He has stolen 7 bases without being caught and scored 57 runs. He has driven in 79 runs and, with today's promotion of Hicks, you would imagine that he will be able to take a run at Sano's magic number from last year (100 even; side note, only 2 people reached this milestone in the MWL in the last 6 years, Sano and some 23 yr old nobody. David Winfree was the last Twin to do it in 2005).

He is on the leader board in the following categories (NB, I have left off the Kernels who were promoted):

HR (1st)
RBI (1st)
Runs (4th)
Total Bases (2nd)
SLG (1st)
OPS (4th)

Another notable placing (or lack thereof) is that Walker is 17th in the league in strikeouts , and well below 25% SO 'danger' rate (22.6%; 79 in 349 PA).

TRex
07-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Walker has had another HOT week, even considering it started with a marathon 0-7 game! After that, he went 10-24 with 2D, 4HR and 9 RBI; which equates to .417/.417/1.000. As you can tell by the equal AVG and OBP, Walker was not true to his name and, indeed, that is the only thing missing in his resume. In 380 PA this year, Walker has only walked 23 times... well below the 10% rate most prospectors would like to see.

For the year, he has hit 22 HR and driven in 88 runs (.286/.332/.560). He remains on the leader board in the following categories:

HR (1st, by 7 HR)
RBI (1st, by 17 over anyone not named Hicks)
Runs (4th)
Total Bases (1st)
SLG (1st)
OPS (2nd)

clutterheart
07-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Looking at his SO numbers, his lack of walks, his age and his level leads me to think that he probably is going to really struggle as he faces better competition.

I expect him to stay out of the top 15 prospect lists next year because I think his ceiling is Michael Restovich

Shane Wahl
07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
He turns 22 in October and his K/rate is not *that* bad. And why worry so much about k/rate around here? TD peeps seem to focus more on how terrible the k/rates are for Twins sluggers in the system more than they do about the poor k/rates the pitchers have!

Shane Wahl
07-23-2013, 07:58 AM
And he improved both his walks and his strikeouts since advancing a level this year.

TRex
07-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Looking at his SO numbers, his lack of walks, his age and his level leads me to think that he probably is going to really struggle as he faces better competition.

I expect him to stay out of the top 15 prospect lists next year because I think his ceiling is Michael Restovich

I liked your idea of a Restovich comp, so I went and looked up his minor league stats...

Did you remember that he was a very highly regarded prospect? One of my favorite BA quotes was that Resto had '... light-tower power'! Look at these rankings:
Prospect Ratings by Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/):
Pre-1999: Rated #50 Prospect
Pre-2000: Rated #26 Prospect
Pre-2002: Rated #63 Prospect
Pre-2003: Rated #37 Prospect

As for comparison to Walker, it turns out not to be very good. Resto had very good walk rates in the low minors, and his SO rate didn't creep over 25% until AAA. In the end, Michael Restovich didn't become a big league regular, but I hope Adam Brett Walker can match his pedigree as a prospect.

SD Buhr
07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Just something to bear in mind with regard to Walker's numbers:

Back when Buxton was off to his hot start, some in the Twins organization cautioned that you need to wait to see how a hitter does against opponents after they've seen him a few times. Their pitchers will adjust and the scouts wanted to see what adjustments Buxton would make when that happened.

The reason I mention this is that, of Walker's 22 home runs, 14 of them have come in the 24 games the Kernels played against teams in the MWL Eastern Division... teams the Kernels only face for one 3-game series each during the season. Only 8 of Walker's HRs have come during the 75 games against Western Division opponents that the Kernels face frequently.

I'm not suggesting Walker's power is any kind of fluke. He's a legit talent. But this may be a factor in why he's still in Cedar Rapids.

lightfoot789
07-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I would agree with that view point if I thought that the Eastern Division scouting departments weren't aware of the Kernel players. There were Eastern Division teams that put on shifts for Dalton Hicks which indicates they had a legitimate scouting report as to how to pitch our players. Peoria put a shift on for Gonzo tonight and this was his first game against them. Scouting reports are important, but Pitchers have to still hit there spots (1st time around or second time around).

lightfoot789
07-25-2013, 01:12 AM
ABW's HRs against the Eastern Division in 2nd Half:
Dayton Dragons
Guillion #19 prospect in (Reds) System
Travieso #5 prospect in (Reds) System
Bowling Green
Speer (Rays)
Spann (Rays)
Garton (Rays)
Lake County
Sisco #17 prospect in (Clevelands) System
Brown
Fort Wayne
Ross (1st Rounder) #15 prospect in (Padres) System
Weikel (Supplemental Rd) #11 prospect

*He also hit a HR against All Star and former Kernel Ryan Crowley (current Bees) for the 2nd time this year (2nd Half)
*He also broke up Jeff Ames 23 scoreless inning streak with a Double

He has done well against the better pitchers on opposing teams. That's what's important to me. 6 of those 12 - 2nd Half HRs have come against opposing teams Top Pitching Prospects as well. Just saying............................

cmathewson
07-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Given time, you can find fault with anyone's raw numbers. The simple truth is Walker has destroyed the pitching in that league. It's not just about homers. He also has 22 doubles and 5 triples, for a total of 203 total bases in fewer than 400 PAs.

SD Buhr
07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
My point wasn't to suggest Walker's numbers are purely due to facing pitchers only 1 time, but merely to point out that, given a criteria Twins officials have stated they consider a factor in regard to promotions, it could be part of the reason he's still in CR. (Though lack of an opening in the FtM OF is certainly a greater factor.)

I'm not going back to see how all of those Eastern Div prospects are actually performing, but pre-season prospect status obviously does not mean the guy has been unhittable this season (as demonstrated by a couple of Kernels' pitching prospects).

Any pitcher who thinks he can get a fastball past Walker on the inside part of the plate is eventually going to find out he's very wrong. One thing we've seen this season is that the more times a pitcher faces Walker, the more breaking balls the guy tends to throw him.

Seth Stohs
08-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Ed Thoma (Baseball Outsider) blogged about Adam Walker after reading more about him, including some scouting reports, in the most recent Baseball America:

Baseball Outsider: On Adam Brett Walker (http://fpbaseballoutsider.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-adam-brett-walker.html?spref=tw)

Larsbars08
08-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Baseball America just did a write up on Adam Walker.

Adam Brett Walker's Potential Divides Scouts - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/adam-brett-walkers-potential-divides-scouts/)

I'm not a subscriber, but would someone with a subscription please paraphrase a brief summary and include some choice snippets from the article. I'm not asking for a copy/paste, I'm just curious to know what the gist of the article is. How strongly do some scouts feel about his potential, versus the doubters?

Edit: Just read the above article by Ed Thoma, linked by Seth. The article takes some of the shine off of Walker, but he still seems like an interesting prospect. If scouts had thought more highly of his hit tool, he wouldn't have been available in the 3rd round. Hopefully he continues to develops and can becomes at least a league average hitter. Even a below average hitter, with his power is still a useful major league player.

howieramone
08-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Baseball America just did a write up on Adam Walker.

Adam Brett Walker's Potential Divides Scouts - BaseballAmerica.com (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/adam-brett-walkers-potential-divides-scouts/)

I'm not a subscriber, but would someone with a subscription please paraphrase a brief summary and include some choice snippets from the article. I'm not asking for a copy/paste, I'm just curious to know what the gist of the article is. How strongly do some scouts feel about his potential, versus the doubters?

Edit: Just read the above article by Ed Thoma, linked by Seth. The article takes some of the shine off of Walker, but he still seems like an interesting prospect. If scouts had thought more highly of his hit tool, he wouldn't have been available in the 3rd round. Hopefully he continues to develops and can becomes at least a league average hitter. Even a below average hitter, with his power is still a useful major league player.

I agree. He didn't go to a big time college, he was only a 3rd pick, who I believe the Twins brought in for a closer look just prior to the draft. My guess is they view him as a high risk/high reward prospect. I believe they will take him step by step thru the organization at whatever pace they feel is best for him. The reward maybe an OF/1B/DH able to provide 15-20 HR's off the bench.

Oxtung
08-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Well ABW committed his first error today; if only he had better hands..... ;)

lightfoot789
08-27-2013, 05:47 AM
I believe some scouts are just "Haters" (as my daughter would say) because they need to justify why they passed on the kid in the 2012 draft. The more they continue to look for flaws, the less likely they will have to explain why they passed on him.

Does he have useable Power? Led both leagues in HRs in each of his 2 years in pro ball.
Why not just say yes and move on.......................
Can he make enough contact to utilize that useable Power? Leads league in:
HRs / RBIs / Total Bases / Slug % / 2nd in Runs Scored / 4th in OPS /

All you can do as a prospect is work at your game and try to dominate at each level. From the above stat line - He has done that!!! Now he has to take the next step in 2014 and do the same. Stop looking for flaws and finally give this kid his due respect for making some appropriate adjustments to his game. His K rate is no where near what he did in the Cape. But we still mention it. His defense has been excellent yet all we here is, he will eventually have to move.

The nice part is: As a college and high school prospect your fate is often in the hands of these scouts. As a professional - Walker already has a home (The MN Twins) and the only people he has to prove anything to, is them. I would think they have to be pleased - especially as they listen to the fans scream "Cedar Rapids Kernels Let the Good Times Roll" -- Keep doing your thing Walker. Baseball America had him ranked 31st in the Twins system this spring. People and Writers look for flaws (human nature) and they will always find some. Thats baseball and defintely Baseball America. Keep doing your thing and prove these "Haters" wrong.

TRex
08-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Remember, lightfoot, that the sole purpose for a scout is to project how a prospect will do in the MAJOR LEAGUES. If the bat speed is not yet evident, he can't tell his superiors that he 'thinks' it will come because, unlike physical attributes, bat speed is not projectable. However, I am sure there are hitters in the majors with similar bat speeds... and even some with big time power. I would imagine that their path to the majors required them to develop plus to plus-plus pitch recognition and location skills. Once Walker starts demonstrating his mastery of these skills, scouts will then be able to offer some projection. High-A will definitely be an important litmus test next year.