PDA

View Full Version : Jose Berrios

righty8383
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
The Twins used the #32 overall pick last year to select Jose Berrios. A RHP from Puerto Rico. Berrios was a high school pick who will turn 19 on May 27.

About a week after being drafted, Jose signed for $1.55 million which was in line with the recommended slot value. He was assigned to the Gulf Coast Twins where he dominated for 16 and 2/3 innings. Over that stretch, he struck out 27 and walked 3. Giving up just 2 earned runs.

Then he went to play for the Elizabethton Twins. Despite being a much more hitter friendly league, Berrios still dominated. He pitched 14 innings and allowed just 2 runs. He struck out 22 and walked just 1. Between the 2 rookie leagues, his opponents BA was just .140!

Berrios is said to have a fastball that can reach the mid 90's. A plus slider/curveball and an improving changeup.

At the moment, Berrios is in extended spring training. He participated in the WBC for his native Puerto Rico. Unfortunately he did not get much playing time so he needed to go to EST to be stretched out a bit. Hopefully in the next few weeks he will get promoted to Cedar Rapids. I am exited to see what he can do in the midwest league.

righty8383
04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
According to Jeff Johnson, a sports writer in Cedar Rapids, Berrios will be joining the Kernals in a couple days!

goulik
04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
dang it, in CR today...guess i will have to come back

MinnFan4Life
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
I had a chance to speak to a terrific woman during Spring Training in Ft Myers who opens her home to different players while they are playing in Elizabethton. She will often take international players because their house is very close to the ball park and they are most likely the ones not to have access to a car.

She has been house mother to Miguel Sano, Kenny Vargas and others.

She had Jose stay with them while he was playing at Elizabethton. She said that he was INCREDIBLY focused and dedicated for an 18 year old kid. He wants no distractions and is totally and solely about baseball during the course of the season. That's really incouraging given his obvious athletic talents. He also has a trait that could prove to be a bit of a double edged sword. She claimed that he is also a perfectionist. That could be difficult for him mentally after rough outings, but leads him to be very focused when working at his craft. As an example, she told me that he understands and speaks English fairly well. However, he only speaks English when he absolutely has to - because he feels that he doesn't speak it well enough.

Kid seems to have a lot of talent and great stuff. I would like to know how well he will fill out as he continues to grow because the slight frame can be potential for injury. Overall, though - I am REALLY high on this pitcher.

righty8383
04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
I was following the game tonight through twitter. I wanted to listen but the audio on my laptop is messed up. So thanks largely to @jimcrikket and a few others, I was able to get an idea of how Berrios was doing. A few nerves early, but I think the Twins ought to be pleased with Berrios' MWL debut. A line of 2 runs on 7 hits with 5 K's over 5 innings isn't too bad at all. I also read on twitter that his fastball was mostly in the low 90's but got it up to 96 on at least one occasion.

righty8383
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Impressive 2nd start for Berrios tonight. With his father and brother in attendence (http://thegazette.com/2013/04/29/kernels-berrios-gives-father-brother-a-cap-tipping-performance/). Berrios gave up just a run on 4 hits over 6.2 innings. He struck out 8 and didn't walk a batter. His only hiccup came in the 4th inning when he surrendered 3 hits and a run.

cmb0252
04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
From BAs prospect notebook:

J.O. Berrios, rhp, Twins. Berrios worked out of the bullpen for the Puerto Rican team in the World Baseball Classic, so the Twins decided not to burden him with a starter’s workload immediately and held him back in extended spring training. He made his 2013 debut with low Class A Cedar Rapids on April 22, allowing two runs in five innings, and he made his second start last night against Lansing. The Twins will look for more consistency out of Berrios’ slider, but his fastball is already good enough for him to dominate inexperienced hitters. He struck out eight over 6 2/3 innings on Monday, allowing only one run on four hits with no walks.

stringer bell
04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
My prediction before Spring Training started was that Berrios would break in with the Twins before his 21st birthday. I have seen nothing to contradict that opinion. The young man is going to be very good or even better than that, barring injury.

righty8383
05-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Berrios has been good but not dominating, which is fine. He pitched well tonight but took the loss because his offense was shut out. Overall he has an ERA of 2.86 with 32 strike outs over 28.1 innings. Only knock on him right now is that he has given up more hits (30) than innings pitched.

greengoblinrulz
05-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Happy 19th bday to the Memorial Day kid

righty8383
06-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Berrios got the win last night giving up a run on 3 hits over 5 and 2/3 innings. Berrios is now 4-2 with a 2.54 ERA. Over 39 innings he has given up 42 hits, 8 walks and struck out 44.

John Bonnes asks if Berrios could be promoted (http://twinsdaily.com/twins-minor-league-talk/6925-could-jose-berrios-promoted.html). Personally, I would like to see him at Fort Myers at some point this year. But I would also like him to dominate just a little bit more than he has to this point. That means less hits and maybe even a few more missed bats.

Another thing that has caught my attention is a couple people reporting that Berrios has been getting a little to easily flustered. If it is true that he has been showing anger when a fielder makes an error, or when an umpire doesn't give him a call, he may need a stern talking to behing closed doors. Maybe Jake Mauer or another Kernals coach has already done this.

Reminds me of a time when I was 14 or 15, I was scolded by my coach for this very thing. I put my arms up in the air in frustration after my shortstop botched a routine play. Looking back, he was right to do it. As a pitcher you have to accept that your fielders are not gonna make every play. And the umpires are not gonna give you the benifit of every close pitch.

All in all it really isn't much of an issue. Sounds like Berrios is very competetive and sometimes it gets the best of him.

greengoblinrulz
06-01-2013, 01:52 PM
While Im usually very aggressive in promoting, Berrios to Ft Myers may not prove to be useful.
No doubt, he starts in Ft Myers next year...so unless he absolutey starts dominating in Cedar Rapids, his time in FLA this yr wont speed up his progress thru the organization.
If he's in New Brit by next July at age 20...it would be tough to not be impressed, with spring 2015 making a legit shot @ rotation.

righty8383
06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Berrios had another pretty good start last night going 6 innings. The 2 runs he gave up were both unearned bringing his ERA down to 3.17. He struck out 6 but did walk 3. I would like to see him get his IP total higher than his hits allowed.

jokin
06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Berrios had another pretty good start last night going 6 innings. The 2 runs he gave up were both unearned bringing his ERA down to 3.17. He struck out 6 but did walk 3. I would like to see him get his IP total higher than his hits allowed.

You guys are sure tough to please. Berrios is the youngest pitcher in the league and he's 4th in the Midwest League in FIP @ 2.46, 3rd in K/9 @ 10.43 and 4th in K% @ 25.8%. To put it in perspective, one guy barely ahead of him in Ks is teammate, Stephen Gruver, who is 24 years old. Yeah, he's not as dominant as last year in Rookie ball- and perhaps his cautiousness and/or immaturity and more nibbling around the plate has led to the increase in BBs and more hittable- but it's continued to pay off for him in keeping the ball in the ballpark- he's around the league best in HR/9, he's given up just one HR both this year and last. He's proven to be more human, but hey, he's been very, very good in 7 of his 9 starts, going up against guys as old as 25.

I think he's right on track for a possible debut in 2015.

righty8383
06-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Jose Berrios pitched tonight after a 2 week rest. He had a pretty good game in which he yielded 2 runs on 5 hits. He struck out 9 over 7 innings. Nice to see him getting hits strike outs up while getting his hits allowed down. He has given up a hair over 1 hit/inning with a K rate of 10.6 per 9 innings. Keep it up Jose!

SD Buhr
06-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Last night was the best I've seen Berrios look this season. Granted, the Bees are not a great hitting team and their best player got traded by the Angels, but you still have to go out and do the job and that's what Berrios did. He made 1-2 mistakes and one of them turned in to a solo HR to a guy who's been on fire for Burlington. But he K'd 9 and didn't walk anyone and I'll take that any day.

dabecka
06-27-2013, 08:37 AM
If he was on the Marlins, he'd be starting by now...in the bigs.