PDA

View Full Version : April 16th

Jason
04-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Link (http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?sid=milb&org=142&ymd=20130416)

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre vs Rochester 6:05 PM
SWB: Bootcheck (0-0, 0.00) ROC: Gibson (0-1, 5.79)

New Hampshire vs New Britain 5:35 PM
:NH: McGuire (1-1, 3.09) NBR: May (0-1, 3.00)

Palm Beach vs Fort Myers 1:35 PM
PMB: Hald (1-0, 0.82) FTM: Wheeler (1-0, 5.63)

Wisconsin at Cedar Rapids 5 PM Doubleheader
WIS: Suter (0-0, 1.80) CR: Lee (1-0, 0.00)
WIS: Lopez, J (0-1, 13.50) CR: TBD

Ncgo4
04-16-2013, 04:07 AM
With regard to our Mr. Buxton. I understand the normalcy and reasons behind not overreacting to a small sample of good hitting. I, too, do not favor moving him up before his time. My question to the group is how do the Twins react not to a small sample of good hitting, but to a sample of truly extraordinary hitting? It's one thing to have a minor leager hit .350 for 10 or so games, but what if Byron is at .450 for 15 or 20 games? Particularly if that hitting takes place under truly miserable conditions, like the weather they have been facing this spring? Don't the Twins then want to make a move more quickly?

kab21
04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
I look at it as what is the fastest you want to move him for the season. 2 levels in one season? 3 levels in one season? 4 levels in one season? I think the majority would say 2 levels in one season is the max imo. That puts him on track for a 'potential' September callup (like Arcia could have been) in 2014 or early 2015. that is really fast imo. Let him play half a season at each level.

SD Buhr
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Steven Gruver now listed as Game 2 starting pitcher for the Kernels tonight.

diehardtwinsfan
04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm still a bit surprised that Buxton didn't start out in the Appy given he wasn't exactly dominant there last season. So consider for a moment that he essentially skipped a level going to CR. Personally I think one more level jump will be warranted if he continues to hit, but for him to make it to NB this year would greatly surprise me. I'd say it's doable, but jumping 2 levels typically happens to college guys (like Garza) with much more under their belt.

ashburyjohn
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm no insider of course, but I think there's two things going on with a young player: 1) you want him challenged but not overmatched, so he experiences both success and growth, and 2) you want to teach him how to deal with the long grind of a season, particularly the normal ups and downs and the small/nagging injuries. Moving him up *could* obscure the latter, if it gives him a built-in excuse for a slump; staying at the same level, he might still experience that slump and have to learn how to deal with it. It's a mental game and stability over the course of a season can help. But if he's really batting .400 a month into the season, keeping him challenged starts to look like the more pressing issue.

cmb0252
04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
What a great day for Twins minor league baseball. Gibson and May pitch, fort Myers goes for win #12, and kernels play a double header. Count me in as a person who checks the Twins box scores constantly throughout the day. This is the best overall group of talent that I can remember in a long time and it will only get better in June!

jokin
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Sano Slam!

Halsey Hall
04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
You just don't throw it down the middle with the sacks jammed and a one run lead to Miguel. So, 12-0! What a great time for Molitor to be here and watching. I'd like to hear his report to the FO.

diehardtwinsfan
04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
May walked 4 guys in 5 1/3 while striking out 8. He still hasn't gotten that control thing down yet. I'm hoping something clicks for him.

pioneers3
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Caught the 2nd game of the DH in Cedar Rapids.

Buxton was outstanding, went 3 x 4 using all his tools doing it. His first AB was a chopper to the SS which he beat out for a single, I wouldn't call it routine, but not many people beat the throw, followed that up with a LD double down the LF line, then almost killed the pitcher with a hard LD single up the middle. His hardest hit ball may have been his L7.

Dalton Hicks has some serious bat speed, he will need to learn how to hit to LF, as he grounded out twice into the big shift by Wisconsin. He had an F6 but, in all reality the ball got so high I think the CF lost it when it got above the lights, as the SS caught it about 10 feet from where the CF stands.

Travis Harrison had a home run in the big first inning, a line shot over LF, from seeing Harrison in HS, that is all his HR's, line shots.

Pitching was outstanding, Gruver threw 4 innings of shut out ball and had command of all pitches, did a pretty good job pitching with big lead. The man from down under, who I am really starting to like, pitched 3 innings and got the win.

I was sitting up in the Suite, and I am sure that the radar gun isn't correct so I won't give you velo's on the arms.

stringer bell
04-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Good outing for Gibson. However, the Red Wings don't score and he loses 1-0.

Oxtung
04-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Tough to win @Rochester when you trot out a lineup that only has 2 players hitting >.200. Not going to win a lot of ball games that way.