PDA

View Full Version : Dalton Hicks is MWL Player of the Week

SD Buhr
04-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Kernels 1B Dalton Hicks was named the MWL Player of the Week on Monday.

Hicks had 7 doubles and a pair of home runs going in to Monday night's game and added his 3rd HR in the 9th inning of the Kernels' blowout loss.

Seth Stohs
04-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Love the extra base hits at this point. Added another home run tonight.

For those who are curious, Hicks is a big kid. He was a 17th round pick just last year. He's not fast, but he's alright at 1B. He is a mix in the batter's box of Jim Thome and Adam Dunn. No, I'm not putting him in their category at all. I'm just saying he is a big dude. He also has a big-time upper cut, so when he does make contact, it's lofted! Great power.

SD Buhr
04-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Love the extra base hits at this point. Added another home run tonight.

For those who are curious, Hicks is a big kid. He was a 17th round pick just last year. He's not fast, but he's alright at 1B. He is a mix in the batter's box of Jim Thome and Adam Dunn. No, I'm not putting him in their category at all. I'm just saying he is a big dude. He also has a big-time upper cut, so when he does make contact, it's lofted! Great power.

When MetroSportsReport.com's Jim Ecker asked Manager Jake Mauer Sunday about the Thome/Dunn comparison, Mauer gave a slightly different opinion. He feels Hicks hits for better average than those guys. He suggested a more familiar comparison for Twins fans. From the MSR article:

"Don't blast me," the skipper said, "but I'd probably say Justin Morneau. He's a lot closer."

Check out Ecker's full article on Hicks by clicking here (http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12070:hicks-enjoys-hot-start-with-kernels&catid=234:kernels-home&Itemid=429):

bkmeyer
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I had the privilege to watch Hicks at UCF for a couple of years and followed his work in Elizabethton last year. He works hard and can take the pressure. Clutch hitter when it is necessary (i.e. walk-off grand slam). He also knows how to come back from injury and become better. He is big, but that swing is beautiful and so powerful.

Pius Jefferson
04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
When MetroSportsReport.com's Jim Ecker asked Manager Jake Mauer Sunday about the Thome/Dunn comparison, Mauer gave a slightly different opinion. He feels Hicks hits for better average than those guys. He suggested a more familiar comparison for Twins fans. From the MSR article:

"Don't blast me," the skipper said, "but I'd probably say Justin Morneau. He's a lot closer."

Check out Ecker's full article on Hicks by clicking here (http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12070:hicks-enjoys-hot-start-with-kernels&catid=234:kernels-home&Itemid=429):

Jim Thome's career average is only four points lower than Justin Morneau. That's including the last five seasons when his average declined.