PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed Butera hasn't started an A game lately?

John Bonnes
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the box scores, I see:

Today vs. Philly - Mauer started and Butera came in as a very late sub
Yesterday vs Blt - Towles started and played the whole game
Monday vs TB - Mauer started and Butera came in as a sub
Sunday vs STL - Doumit started

It doesn't look like Gardy is letting Butera face any of the opposing team's starting pitchers. I wonder if he hasn't falled behind Towles. Am I missing something?

Thrylos
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I don't think that you are missing anything :) Another little tidbit from today (which would not be obvious unless you were there, or had access ;) but even those with access did not report) : Every day before the Twins' home games at Fort Myers a group of people usually back-up bench types take BP on the field right outside the ballpark and the non-playing pitchers are standing at the OF to catch balls. Today, they included the back up Catchers as well and they were: Dozier, Hollimon, Burroughs, Doumit and Towles. No Butera. Hughes was not there because he started but he was there Monday. So methinks that the Butera is about ready to go to Rochester. Word also has it that Chris Herrmann is reporting to New Britain, so that makes much more sense...

Neinstein
03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Another little tidbit from today (which would not be obvious unless you were there, or had access ;) but even those with access did not report) .... So methinks that the Butera is about ready to go to Rochester. Word also has it that Chris Herrmann is reporting to New Britain, so that makes much more sense...
I've taken a liking to your accessive ;) information!

minn55441
03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info thrylos98

Twins Fan From Afar
03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Herrmann is headed back to New Britain.

Fire Dan Gladden
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
We can only hope that this is the case. Butera's offensive offense did not offset his defensive skills.

Gernzy
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Nice catch John. I really hope the Twins only have 2 catchers.

Seth Stohs
03-29-2012, 08:33 AM
And as you write that, Butera is in the starting lineup for the Twins today against the Pirates.

ThatsRich
03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's exactly the usage pattern you'd expect for your third-string catcher. I think Punto left all his pictures of Gardy and a goat with Sal's kid when he left town.

John Bonnes
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Yep, he did. No stolen bases and 1-4 with a walk. I guess we're gonna stay guessing.

markominne
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Hopefully Gardy has realized that with Morneau being primarily the DH, that Doumit is principally a position player - meaning, he doesn't risk losing his DH by moving Doumit behind the plate during a game. A third catcher - particularly if he can't hit - is a luxury the Twins cannot afford. Besides, I've never thought that losing the DH late in the game is that big a deal - so what if you play NL ball for a couple innings?!

Highabove
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Butera Hitting v Pitcher Hitting

Whats the Difference?????

USAFChief
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Hopefully Gardy has realized that with Morneau being primarily the DH, that Doumit is principally a position player - meaning, he doesn't risk losing his DH by moving Doumit behind the plate during a game. A third catcher - particularly if he can't hit - is a luxury the Twins cannot afford. Besides, I've never thought that losing the DH late in the game is that big a deal - so what if you play NL ball for a couple innings?!

Hopefully Gardy realizes that any time Butera is in the lineup, he's basically losing the DH position anyway, because he has hitter in the lineup who provides roughly what an NL pitcher provides.