PDA

View Full Version : Benson batting 7th, Herrmann 8th

Shane Wahl
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Tonight for Rochester. Just racking up the plate appearances!!! For dumb.

Physics Guy
04-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Considering the number of "prospects" down there, that seems rather asinine. I hope there is more to this than it appears.

Physics Guy
04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
By the way, where do you find the info?

SydneyTwinsFan
04-09-2013, 06:18 PM
No Arcia tonight for Rochester.

Physics Guy - Look at the April 9 thread started by Jason which helpfully links to all the MiLB box scores

Oxtung
04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
In addition Benson has only played in 3/5 games so far (he did pinch hit in the other 2). Once in each OF position. Where as Boggs and Thomas have played in 4/5 each. Herrmann has only started 1 game so far and was a sub for Butera when he broke his hand.

Does anybody know why these 2 are not getting consistent playing time?

Seth Stohs
04-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Benson had some tendonitus early and they weren't playing him every day, and Herrmann is a catcher.

Thrylos
04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Benson had some tendonitus early and they weren't playing him every day, and Herrmann is a catcher.

Benson allegedly had "tendonitis" in his hurt wrist (from one side of the Twins' mouth); from the other side there were numerous "rumors" "leaked" that he was "unhappy" and "wanted a trade".

Herrmann is practically the Twins' third catcher at this point.

I do understand your loyalty to the organization, Seth, but check where those 2 guys ranked in your prospect rankings vs:

Leadoff - Mr Farris
2nd Mr Boggs
3rd Mr Clement
4th Mr Colabello
5th Mr Dinkelman
6th Mr Sobolewski

Come on....
for real Ferris instead of Benson leading off?

Oxtung
04-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Seems like Herrmann better be able to catch more than 1/3 games if he is ever going to make it to the Twins. I am also surprised he hasn't been seeing any time in the OF.

I'm certainly not saying these guys are being mishandled this early in the season. I was more just curious if anyone knew the reasoning.

Shane Wahl
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Herrmann is a catcher and OF and should be in almost every day if healthy.

Regardless, it doesn't answer the initial question. Why on earth are they batting 7th and 8th!? They don't have to bat 1-2, but I have a hard time understanding why Herrmann isn't batting 2nd and Benson 4th when Arcia is playing. The most plate appearances should go to prospects and potential fill-in players like Boggs. End of story.

Shane Wahl
04-10-2013, 09:42 AM
By the way, where do you find the info?

Milb.com now has a link for minor league scores by MLB affiliation.

mike wants wins
04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
It raises the question, what is the role of a AAA manager and team? Develop players, or win games? What takes precedence?

But I agree, I'd rather those two play every day......they will need Hermann this year in MN. And maybe Benson.

IdahoPilgrim
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I think Mr. Benson should worry less about his place in the order and more about getting the job done - 2 for 16 does not inspire confidence no matter where he bats. He has a history of underperforming his potential (or, perhaps, his potential is not what was thought...)