PDA

View Full Version : Article: Cedar Rapids Kernels are ready for Opening Day!

Seth Stohs
04-04-2013, 09:06 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1515-Cedar-Rapids-Kernels-are-ready-for-Opening-Day!

tw1ns1
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Living in Mason City, IA, i was excited to see this. 2 Hour drive either way to see some Twins baseball! Was hoping that Sano would be on the roster this year to get a glimpse of the young phenom. Excited to see Buxton and Kepler and the rest! Win Twins! (and Kernels!)
Thanks for the article Seth!!!

Seth Stohs
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
There are some terrific prospects and great character kids on this roster. The Twins encourage them to be very fan-friendly, so it should certainly be a great experience if you're able to make it. I see that tonight the gates open at 4:35.

lightfoot789
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Any idea on a lineup for tonights game. Who are the favorites to play where and hit where?

Monkeypaws
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Nice read Seth. I'm hoping to make a run down there sometime this summer.

diehardtwinsfan
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I just hope with all the hype that this team doesn't dissapoint this year. Rookie league stats in particular are dangerous to go by. I agree that there's a lot of hope, but it seems as though there's a lot more buzz than there should be... Hope I'm wrong.

Seth Stohs
04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Any idea on a lineup for tonights game. Who are the favorites to play where and hit where?

They've basically said that Byron Buxton will lead off and play centerfield. Other than that, I'd guess:

Jairo Rodriguez will start behind the plate. Dalton Hicks at 1B. I'll guess Jorge Polanco at 2B, although Candido Pimentel could. Niko Goodrum will be at shortstop. Travis Harrison at 3B. JD Williams in LF (Romy Jimenez could play there too). Buxton in CF. Adam Walker in right field. Drew Leachman probably DH. Taylor Rogers will be the starting pitcher.

Seth Stohs
04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
I just hope with all the hype that this team doesn't dissapoint this year. Rookie league stats in particular are dangerous to go by. I agree that there's a lot of hope, but it seems as though there's a lot more buzz than there should be... Hope I'm wrong.

Last year, the E-Twins won the Appy League title and won a lot. Beloit got to the playoffs. This team is built from players who played in both places a year ago. The team has a chance to be very good. More important, there is a lot of talent that will continue to develop. I generally don't worry myself with the wins and losses of the minor league team, especially if players are developing. That said, I think that learning how to win as a team is an important thing for players to develop.

lightfoot789
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
This team is built to win and only knows winning from its time in the minor leagues (Appy and Beloit). The key is going to be how do they handle failure if they start to lose? What is their mental toughness when / if they start losing? I believethey handle itlike the winners that they are :) and bounce right back.

Jim Crikket
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM

From the Kernels via Twitter:

Cedar Rapids Kernels @CRKernels (http://twinsdaily.com/CRKernels?p=s)
18m (http://twinsdaily.com/CRKernels/status/319887805075558400?p=p)

Kernels lineup! Buxton 8, Polanco 4, Leachman DH, Hicks 3, Walker 9, Harrison 5, Goodrum 6, Rodriguez 2, Williams 7. Rogers 1

mike wants wins
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Can't wait until Kepler is on that list.....